Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Coronavirus Thread, brought to you by Randall Flagg
A train was derailed by its engineer in an attempt to attack the hospital ship Mercy in L.A.

Luckily it stopped a couple hundred yards away from its target.
Hopefully this leads to good news. University of Pitt are working on a vaccine that produces enough antibodies to fight the Coronavirius.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien...-SoeGhFamo
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
(04-02-2020, 06:45 PM)JMurdoch Wrote: A train was derailed by its engineer in an attempt to attack the hospital ship Mercy in L.A.

Quote:Moreno now faces a federal charge of one count of train wrecking — a crime that carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.

TIL that 'train wrecking' is a federal crime.
It's more common than you'd think...apparently.
(04-02-2020, 06:11 PM)Reasor Wrote: The US Navy Captain who blew the whistle on what he perceived as the abandonment of his crew to the Coronavirus by his superiors will be relieved of command.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5e864...06281b3222

If this is all they do to him, then he won't receive any jail time, but his career is over.  He might be able to work in staff assignments until he retires, but he'll never have the kind of command assignment that would lead to promotion again.

It's a shame there is nothing his commander in chief, who loves the troops the Captain was trying to protect so goddamn much it just hurts him randomly throughout the day, could do to help the man out.
(04-02-2020, 08:57 PM)schwartz Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 06:11 PM)Reasor Wrote: The US Navy Captain who blew the whistle on what he perceived as the abandonment of his crew to the Coronavirus by his superiors will be relieved of command.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5e864...06281b3222

If this is all they do to him, then he won't receive any jail time, but his career is over.  He might be able to work in staff assignments until he retires, but he'll never have the kind of command assignment that would lead to promotion again.

It's a shame there is nothing his commander in chief, who loves the troops the Captain was trying to protect so goddamn much it just hurts him randomly throughout the day, could do to help the man out.

If he was a war criminal, Trump would throw him a parade.
(04-02-2020, 08:06 PM)Chaz Rock City Wrote: Hopefully this leads to good news. University of Pitt are working on a vaccine that produces enough antibodies to fight the Coronavirius.

It's still probably a year away, unless they skip some safety protocols, but very good news nevertheless.

It's also interesting that they're using an upgraded version of the 300+ year-old vaccination technique of "scratching" the vaccine under the skin, gruesomely shown in HBO's John Adams.
Gamertag: Tweakee
Updated my list. Stay the fuck away from:

1.People
2.Train tracks
(04-02-2020, 06:45 PM)JMurdoch Wrote: A train was derailed by its engineer in an attempt to attack the hospital ship Mercy in L.A.

OK, what the hell...?
Does anyone know what this is? Is it some Qanon thing?
I'd assume so, but the American fringe right has become so broadly integrated with the American right in general that it's entirely possible this is just what the gnomes that live in his ears told him Dr. Laura said to do.
^That. Completely stochastic.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
https://mobile.twitter.com/cd_hooks/stat...3525125122

The Small Business Loans program might not be up to par tomorrow.  I mean, getting something ready this fast is really, really (really) hard, of course.

I just hope this isn't disaster town:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...t-by-virus

Quote:The Small Business Administration has bumped up to 1% the interest rate lenders may charge small businesses under a $350 billion U.S. relief program after lenders complained that the previous approved rate of 0.5% was below even their own cost of funds.

U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and Small Business Administration Administrator Jovita Carranza released additional guidelines for the program just a few hours before it is expected to become widely available Friday. Banks and other lenders that are key to carrying it out had said they lacked guidance on how to complete the loans, including what documentation is required from borrowers and how to verify it.

The program, part of the $2 trillion stimulus package signed by President Donald Trump on March 27, is central to help small businesses survive the devastating impact of the coronavirus outbreak. It includes the Paycheck Protection Program, which allows small businesses to apply for loans of as much as $10 million with payments deferred for six months.

Assistance payments to individuals, a separate program of the coronavirus relief legislation, will begin showing up in bank accounts within two weeks, Mnuchin also said Thursday at a White House briefing.

“You’ll get the money,” Mnuchin said. The original plan was for payments to be arriving in three weeks.

The loans to small business, which are guaranteed by the federal government and don’t require collateral, will be forgiven if funds are used for payroll costs, mortgage interest, rent and utility payments for two months and if businesses retain and rehire employees.

A senior administration official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told reporters on Tuesday there could be millions of applications when the program goes live on Friday, with the idea funds would be disbursed quickly –- even the same day -- on a first-come, first-served basis.

Here's more on the Paycheck Protection Program from Rep. Don Beyer.  Big banks just don't seem too keen on any of this - or understand it, for that matter:

https://twitter.com/RepDonBeyer/status/1...6637173760

Quote:The CARES Act included a massive new initiative, the Paycheck Protection Program, to protect workers and keep small businesses afloat with loans amid the COVID-19 pandemic. PPP launches tomorrow morning.

Tonight @GerryConnolly, @RepWexton and I held an urgent call with lenders 1/

One lender predicted tomorrow will be "one of the craziest days in the history of modern banking." 

Another told us that unclear guidance from SBA and the Treasury Department means lenders “don't understand the program.” 

They are not alone in this. 2/

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/02/jpmorgan...dance.html

Thousands of businesses and ultimately millions of Americans will depend on these loans. Those people NEED this program to work.

But we have been hearing increasingly worrying things about the launch tomorrow, which is why we did this call. 3/

The Treasury Department and Small Business Administration have been scrambling today to release clear guidance to lenders to make this program work, but it was apparent tonight that there are still many questions which are likely to create problems. 4/

The Trump Administration seems to think tomorrow will go just fine. Secretary Mnuchin says the program will be "up and running tomorrow" and people will "get their money the same day." We hope they are right, but the message from lenders was concerning. 5/

As we said on the call, the clear intent of Congress in creating this program was to get small business owners the simplest, easiest, fastest loan they've ever gotten because they need help right away.

We urge lenders to do all they can to help small businesses in need. 6/

The Small Business Administration and Department of Treasury MUST clarify their guidelines and application process with all possible haste to be ready to support the small businesses which make up the backbone of the American economy.  7/

Without a clear application process and strong directives from the federal government, the Paycheck Protection Program launch tomorrow will descend into chaos and bedlam. That must not happen. 8/8
Gov. DeSantis of Florida may finally have a "stay-at-home" order, but he's undermining it by overruling local authorities trying to ban religious gatherings:

https://news.yahoo.com/fl-gov-overrides-...55187.html

Quote:Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has overruled local counties’ power to ban large religious gatherings amid the coronavirus pandemic, carving out an extraordinary loophole that officials say will violate social distancing guidelines and ensure further spread of the virus. 

By allowing religious services to continue, DeSantis is seemingly siding with religious leaders who’ve stood against the federally mandated guidelines—including controversial Tampa pastor Rodney Howard-Browne, who refused to stop holding services because he believed his church had machines that could stop the virus.

After weeks of political pressure and public outcry, the Republican governor signed a “stay-at-home” order Wednesday to curtail the spread of the coronavirus outbreak. But, unlike most mandates implemented in dozens of states, DeSantis ruled that religious services were an “essential activity.”

DeSantis originally resisted a “stay-at-home” order but said he had a change of heart after President Donald Trump extended national social distancing guidelines—which limit social gatherings to 10—and expressed grave concerns about the severity of a pandemic that has killed at least 5,300 Americans. 

Some counties had already implemented their own orders, like Hillsborough County, where Sheriff Chad Chronister had issued misdemeanors to Howard-Brown for violating an order against large gatherings. 

However, in a clarifying memo on Thursday, DeSantis said his order “shall supersede any conflicting official action or order issued by local officials in response to COVID-19.”

“Our hospitals better get ready,” Hillsborough County Commission Chairman Les Miller said on Thursday, according to WFLA. “That’s all I’m gonna say.”
(04-02-2020, 10:22 PM)farsight Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 08:06 PM)Chaz Rock City Wrote: Hopefully this leads to good news. University of Pitt are working on a vaccine that produces enough antibodies to fight the Coronavirius.

It's still probably a year away, unless they skip some safety protocols, but very good news nevertheless.

It's also interesting that they're using an upgraded version of the 300+ year-old vaccination technique of "scratching" the vaccine under the skin, gruesomely shown in HBO's John Adams.

It's a good vaccination method to protect against diseases that you definitely don't want coursing through a patient's body before the immunity is built up.  A small infection site, no deeper than the skin, takes advantage of the body's natural ability to isolate systems so that your gut flora don't end up in your lungs and white blood cells don't attack the fluid inside your eyes.  Smallpox vaccinations for soldiers deploying to the Middle East are done this way.
And these numbers don’t reflect the worst of it:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArthurDelaney...8179398663

The govt here in Singapore has announced there will be a lock down from next week 7th April onwards to 4th May.
Theres heartbreaking footage of Captain Crozier leaving the USS Roosevelt. He walks down the long ramp off the ship while his crew applauds and chants his name in appreciation.
He'll always have our respect.
Being evil shitheads is starting to creep up on Florida Republicans, I see:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/...6916288512

Probably the most rapid response we've seen re: all things covid was the Federal Government covering for Jared in an attempt to make him look slightly less incompetent: https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/12...7003722752

Quote:The Trump administration just changed its language about the Strategic National Stockpile on an HHS website to jibe with Jared Kushner's claim that this isn't for the states.
So the federal stockpile is for...DC exclusively?
What's Ivanka been doing for the last 3 weeks?
...don't do it
(04-03-2020, 09:34 AM)JMurdoch Wrote: Theres heartbreaking footage of Captain Crozier leaving the USS Roosevelt.  He walks down the long ramp off the ship while his crew applauds and chants his name in appreciation.

I watched that video through Twitter, and saw one of those fucking Qanon weirdos imply that the "swamp was being drained" because Capt. Crozier was a pedo.  It always comes back to pedos with these loons.  Projection, I guess.
I do wonder if there is a history of abuse among the folks that take that shit seriously.
In looking ahead (okay, looking way ahead), I'm trying to cast Crozier in the inevitable (though hopefully not too schmaltzy) movie about this incident and...I have it on the tip of my tongue who it should be (not Hanks). A little help!

Neil McDonough or Colm Feore if it's a tv movie.
Feore was the first name that popped into my head looking at the guy. But I guess this dude is quite a bit younger.
Renner?
Damon with Eastwood directing!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Genius!
Everything is just upside down:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jallepap/stat...2344204288

Fuck Amazon.

https://gizmodo.com/amazon-keeps-finding...1842654630

Quote:As part of Amazon’s apparent strategy, Zapolsky wrote, “We should spend the first part of our response strongly laying out the case for why the organizer’s conduct was immoral, unacceptable, and arguably illegal, in detail, and only then follow with our usual talking points about worker safety. Make him the most interesting part of the story, and if possible make him the face of the entire union/organizing movement.”

According to VICE’s report, Zapolsky wrote that there was a “general agreement” among Amazon’s top brass about using Smalls to undermine the kinds of ongoing unionizing efforts that have routinely plagued the company. Throughout this week, employees in New YorkChicago, and Detroit have staged walk-out protests after at least 19 Amazon warehouses reported confirmed cases of covid-19, including one in Queens that reopened within a day after a worker tested positive for the virus
RI got some of the masks from the Patriots jet too. Didn't know the part MA's orders getting seized.
This is really sad.  This guy made a bit of a dent on social media as he continued driving his bus during scary times:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m...115450002/

Quote:A Detroit bus driver, who complained — and warned — in a Facebook video post about the dangers of the coronavirus has died. He admonished riders to not board and start coughing.

Jason Hargrove died Wednesday night of COVD-19, according to Glenn Tolbert, the president of the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 26 and multiple news accounts.

Tolbert, reached at home by the Free Press late Thursday, said he also had tested positive hours earlier and felt sick.

"It's a trying time for the whole department right now," he said, adding that other drivers are "really worried" and "obviously scared." 

Last month, bus drivers shut down public transportation by calling in sick because they were terrified of this very scenario. 

Now, the news of a fellow driver's death has reignited fears, with other drivers seeking additional precautions, such as adding a physical barrier to separate them, similar to what supermarkets are doing for cashiers, and even a temporary cessation of service.

"I just think the protections that have been put in place are inadequate for what's going on out here," said bus driver Roderick Nash, 47, of Haper Woods. "In my personal opinion, the mayor and the governor needs to shut everything down for a couple of weeks."