Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Dead Celebrity Thread
(04-16-2020, 02:34 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: what was his reputation?  Was he regarded as a nice guy by all?  I hope so...he certainly came across as everybody's friend.

He's remarkably gracious and insightful (though bad with names) in this interview from 2018. Might have been Saoirse Ronan's biggest fan:

https://www.avclub.com/brian-dennehy-on-...1829430643

(04-16-2020, 05:34 PM)Mangy Wrote: Allen Daviau, cinematographer of E.T., COLOR PURPLE, EMPIRE OF THE SUN and BUGSY, of Covid. He was 77.

[Image: d862fdb24381a2984a6e6c71d5e.jpg]
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Bummer about Allen. I took a class from him in film school. He brought in some amazing speakers.

RIP.
Theodore Gaffney who risked his life photographing the 1961 Freedom Riders died from the coronavirus at 92:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2...avirus-92/

Quote:In the spring of 1961, Jet magazine asked Theodore Gaffney, a Washington freelance photographer, to travel with the Freedom Riders, a group of activists from across the country who planned to challenge segregation in the South by riding Greyhound and Trailways buses.

Organized by the Congress of Racial Equality, the Freedom Riders wanted to sit in the front of the buses with white people, use whites-only restrooms in bus terminals and eat at whites-only lunch counters.

Gaffney, who died Easter Sunday of the coronavirus at age 92, eagerly signed up. He found himself risking his life and documenting one of the most tumultuous 48 hours in civil rights history.

Gaffney’s own history helped make him the perfect person to chronicle the civil rights movement. He was the descendant of people who had been enslaved at a plantation near the town of Gaffney, S.C., according to his first cousin Patricia Johnson, 72.
Philippe Nahon, who played The Killer in High Tension, has passed away from Corona.
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
Nahon will forever be "the butcher" in I STAND ALONE, Gaspar Noé's first feature. Even by Noé's standards it's a rough ride (it's like a French TAXI DRIVER, with more incest), and the movie that made Nahon a reliable/wonderful character actor after decades of anonymous bit parts.
Yeah, I Stand Alone is some messed up stuff.

(04-19-2020, 04:54 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: The Killer in High Tension, has passed away from Corona.

Haute Tension with another last minute twist
Irrfan Khan. He was only 53.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/ap...phV2ov2yvw
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Irfan Khan was a great actor who's career spanned not only Indian cinema, but he also was in several successful Hollywood productions like The Namesake (where he played Kal Penn's dad), Slumdog Millionaire, Darjeeling Unlimited, The Amazing Spiderman, the park owner in Jurassic World and of course, as the narrator in Life of Pi. 

* EDIT - I forgot that he had a supporting role in Mira Nair's debut, Salaam Bombay!

RIP
Huge tragic loss. I loved him in THE NAMESAKE. RIP.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
Quote:Irfan Khan was a great actor who's career spanned not only Indian cinema, but he also was in several successful Hollywood productions like The Namesake (where he played Kal Penn's dad), Slumdog Millionaire, Darjeeling Unlimited, The Amazing Spiderman, the park owner in Jurassic World and of course, as the narrator in Life of Pi.

That scene in Life of Pi where his character talks about his father gets me every time. A moment of pure realness in a sea of fantasy.

Have relatives who were IK fans long before I became familiar with his work, and he was always the first name they would bring up in order to school me whenever I would ignorantly complain about the quality of Bollywood actors. I know this news will make them very sad. He was brilliant.
That’s a shame. He was a wonderful presence in every movie he was in. It’s not his most well known movie in the English-speaking world, but if you get the chance, check out The Lunchbox, a lovely Hindi movie with him in the lead.
Originally posted by Schwartz on Cool as Ice ("When a girl has a heart of stone, there's only one way to melt it. Just add Ice."):
"It's not just a mixed metaphor, or that the stone is one that is melting...but the ice is actually making it melt. (kisses fingers) Magnifique."
I would add a recommendation for The Warrior. Pretty decent transposition of a samurai-seeks-redemption story to ancient India I recall hearing about and watching in the early 2000s. Directed by Asif Kapadia who has made a name of himself since directing premium biographical docs like Senna, Amy and the latest Maradona one.
Khan ruled and was absolutely robbed of an Oscar nomination for THE NAMESAKE.
home taping is killing music
Another Bollywood giant has left us....Rishi Kapoor. He appeared in mostly Hindi language movies as both romantic leads and character roles in over 100 productions. 

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/rishi-...index.html

Quote:Hailing from the prominent Kapoor family, which has dominated Bollywood for generations, Kapoor made his debut as a child actor in 1970 in his father Raj Kapoor's film "Mera Naam Joker" ("My Name is Joker").

His first lead role -- in the 1973 romantic film "Bobby" -- won him the Filmfare Award, India's equivalent of the Oscars, for Best Actor.

Over the course of his career, Kapoor acted in more than 100 films, playing both the romantic lead and character roles.
RIP. I haven't seen a lot of his films, but his uncle Shashi Kapoor's many collaborations with Amitabh Bachchan were a fixture in my home when I was growing up. Childhood heroes, both of them. And such chemistry.

What are your favourite Irrfan Khan movies, ravi? I think the most recent Indian film I saw him in was Piku, which was very entertaining (love Amitabh really embracing the old man roles lately by the way, the man has 100% still got it). And did you see this letter IK wrote before his passing? Agnostic or no, I would be lying if I said this didn't affect me a bit.

https://www.mangalorean.com/this-letter-...y-in-2018/

"This realization made me submit, surrender and trust, irrespective of the outcome, irrespective of where this takes me... My confidence in the intelligence of the cosmos became absolute."
Sam Lloyd, Ted Buckland on SCRUBS and the TV Guide enthusiast obsessed with Elaine on Seinfeld, of cancer. He was 56.
RIP Mr. Lloyd. Ted was one of my favorite characters on SCRUBS.
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
Wife and I just watched that Seinfeld yesterday. Great one and done from Sam Lloyd. And Ted was a stalwart. Much too young.
I'm not Avery.
56? That sucks, and he had just become a father... He also was Christopher Lloyd's nephew.
(05-01-2020, 03:11 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: What are your favourite Irrfan Khan movies, ravi? I think the most recent Indian film I saw him in was Piku, which was very entertaining (love Amitabh really embracing the old man roles lately by the way, the man has 100% still got it).

Piku was good. I also really enjoyed The Lunchbox and The Warrior which were mentioned above. I've heard great things about Talvar, Maqbool (Hindi version of Macbeth), Karwaan and Billu Barber (which co-starred the other Khan, Shah Rukh). I hope to get around to watching all of these along more of Rishi (and Shashi) Kapoor's filmography that I've missed.

Yes, Amitabh's still got it too!

And boy, that self-written obit was full of some deep impactful passages. Khan was truly wise beyond his years. Thanks for sharing it!

RIP to Sam Lloyd too.
CHILD'S PLAY 2 and MAN'S BEST FRIEND director John Lafia has passed. 

https://deadline.com/2020/05/john-lafia-...202924310/
Florian Schneider, Kraftwerk co-founder, dies aged 73
Co-founder of hugely influential electronic pop group, who has died of cancer, had a UK No 1 hit with The Model in 1982

I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Noooooooooo.

I had the good fortune to see Kraftwerk live a decade ago, one of the best shows I've ever been to (and I've been to a respectable number).

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
Roy of Siegfried and Roy is outta here. Covid.
Former Bad Company singer Brian Howe has died.
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former...ead-at-66/
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
That article is brutal.
Roy Horn of Siegfried and Roy has died from Covid-19.
Oh, man....

"#MusicSermon’s cornerstone is New Jack Swing, and while Teddy gets credit for the music, Andre was key to the culture. Puff’s career lore has overshadowed Dre, but he was the original purveyor of fly.

The culture just lost a true founder & originator."

https://twitter.com/naima/status/1258998242068529153

"I hope that the Uptown limited series goes back into development when shut down is over, bc Andre was more than just a label founder - he’s the godfather of Urban lifestyle & modern R&B."

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Little Richard, 87

https://pitchfork.com/news/little-richar...mtgIYi1j00

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
Damn. That leaves, what, only Jerry Lee Lewis from the founding fathers of rock and roll?
Just this guy, you know?
Rolling Stone's David Wild:

Attached Files Image(s)

This one hurts beyond words.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

I have to admit, I didn't realize he was still around. But yeah, a hugely influential pioneer and all-timer.

I watched The Girl Can't Help It just a few months ago, but I'll probably rewatch again tonight.

And one of the absolute best Miami Vice openings: