Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
(05-22-2020, 09:10 PM)serpico jones Wrote: Exorcist 3 to kick off the Last Drive-In tonight.

Ooh, that ought to be good... Although that picture's gone through so much (highly deserved) reappraisal in recent years, I wonder if Joe Bob'll have some new insight to bring to it.

I only watched last week's installment yesterday. His closing speech was pretty great-- almost made me wish I were still an aspiring filmmaker.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
Great flick. William Peter Blatty was always a major talent.
Blatty was criminally underrated, both as a writer and a director.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I watched THE NINTH CONFIGURATION for the first time a few months ago. Blatty really had a distinctive, offbeat style as a director (you can tell it's the same guy that gave you EXORCIST III). It's a damn shame he didn't do it more.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
He had a remarkable way of marrying a feeling of the uncanny, the strange, or the frightening with extremely literate, intelligent, witty character interaction.
Watched the 1978 version of THE TOOLBOX MURDERS last night. What an odd, schizophrenic movie. It starts out as a whodunnit slasher and halfway through veers into weird psychosexual territory with a truly icky ending that actually managed to get under my skin. Very much a leering exploitation film through and through but for those who can stomach it I'd say it's worth a look.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Well I'll be damned, the new Puppet Master film from Full Moon looks entertaining.

Not good, but entertaining.

Blade still looks like shit though.
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
Haha why does it look like a cutscene from an old FMV video game?
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
(05-23-2020, 08:59 AM)Evi Wrote: Haha why does it look like a cutscene from an old FMV video game?

At this point, I'm grateful that the movie isn't just re-used footage from Hell of the Living Dead or Tiger King.

https://www.cbr.com/barbie-kendra-save-t...it-sounds/
An actor friend of mine is in "Blade: The Iron Cross!"
Just signed back up to Shudder solely for The Last Drive-In. It looks like they haven't added many additional movies to the collection in a while?
(05-23-2020, 08:42 AM)Evi Wrote: Watched the 1978 version of THE TOOLBOX MURDERS last night. What an odd, schizophrenic movie. It starts out as a whodunnit slasher and halfway through veers into weird psychosexual territory with a truly icky ending that actually managed to get under my skin. Very much a leering exploitation film through and through but for those who can stomach it I'd say it's worth a look.

Cameron Mitchell! And I remember the Tobe Hooper remake being pretty dreadful, but it's been a long time.
Mangy they're currently airing season 2 every Friday. They've shown 10 movies so far.
Sorry, I apologize for my poor grammar and syntax. I was referring to Shudder's collection of movies...Looking at the list of Newly Added movies, it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of new ones since I was last signed up a few months ago, aside from the new Job Bob stuff.
Yeah Shudder doesn't have the best selection unfortunately. I only have it for Joe Bob too.
Speaking of . . . I liked the Creepshow episode The Man In The Suitcase right up until the reveal of the Chuck E Cheese animatronic Djinn.

Suitcase was close, but I'm feeling like the haunted dollhouse is the only gem so far.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
I really want to like Creepshow more than I do.

Watching the DEADBEAT AT DAWN Joe Bob ep. I haven't seen this movie before. It's something!
Heh, an old friend of mine from Bloody-Disgusting loves Deadbeat at Dawn and got super excited when I told her Joe Bob was showing it.

Haven't seen it in years but I'll be watching the episode as soon as I get home from Hell Depot.
It's really more of an action movie with really bloody violence, but well worth watching, especially with Joe Bob supplying behind-the-scenes anecdotes. Enjoy!
(05-23-2020, 11:18 AM)hp pufncraft Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 08:59 AM)Evi Wrote: Haha why does it look like a cutscene from an old FMV video game?

At this point, I'm grateful that the movie isn't just re-used footage from Hell of the Living Dead or Tiger King.

https://www.cbr.com/barbie-kendra-save-t...it-sounds/

Thanks to The Cinema Snob aka Brad Jones, I know this movie sets up Barbie and Kendra's adventures with Space Force.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
(02-20-2020, 09:22 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: UPDATED FOUND FOOTAGE LISTS

Legitimately good to great:

Cannibal Holocaust
Blair Witch
First [REC]
Noroi: The Curse
Man Bites Dog
Paranormal Activity series (with the exception of the abysmal Ghost Dimension)
Cloverfield
As Above So Below
The Sacrament
The Visit
The Taking of Deborah Logan
The Last Exorcism
Searching
Willow Creek
Unfriended
Trollhunter
My Little Eye
The Den
Creep
First two V/H/S films

Faux documentry/fake live broadcast that uses verite to great effect:
Ghostwatch
Without Warning
Special Bulletin
Curse of the Blair Witch
The Last Broadcast
Lake Mungo
The War Game
Catfish The Movie
The Bay
Series 7: The Contenders
Incident at Loch Ness
The Poughkeepsie Tapes

Non top tier FF but still decent:
Digging up the Marrow
Final Prayer
Afflicted
The Devil Inside
Grave Encounters
Exists
The Chernobyl Diaries
Banshee Chapter
The Collingswood Story
The St Francisville Experiment
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County

Plus of course the regular movies that occasionally dip into the well or employ similar techniques (Henry, first Sinister, YellowBrickRoad, Signs) plus high quality Slenderman related web series like Marble Hornets

Adding the Korean film Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum to the "decent" pile. Takes a long time to get going (and it screws up some of the more basic FF setup stuff), but lots of good shit in the last 20 minutes.
Was checking out the $1 sale Fandango Now is doing right now, discovered a 2019 supernatural comedy I had never heard of before called Extra Ordinary. Rented it and enjoyed it quite a bit. Charming, funny, and throughly Irish. Recommended if you fancy some lighter fare, or if you always wanted to see Will Forte play a bad guy.

"I'm doing a small wee."
Oh, nobody saw my Extra Ordinary thread.

It's a pretty cool movie.
Yeah Extra Ordinary was good fun

Re: FF/docu horror, more people need to see Savageland
Hope you're doing well, Dan. Haven't talked to you in a while.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Hey Dan!
I finally got around to watching "Feast," and I didn't think it was very good. It seemed like it was trying to have one foot in the Troma school of exploitation and another in the Dimension Films school of DTV genre cheapies. It's not particularly successful at maintaining the comedic tone it tries to ladle on at the outset; the life expectancy title cards start out funny but ultimately become tedious, much like the film itself.

It has too many characters, not enough story, and doesn't do much of anything to reinvent one of the most basic low-budget horror movie concepts: "Rio Bravo" but with monsters. It starts out in a big damn hurry then just spins its wheels after they run out of unexpected turns about 30 minutes in.

There are two sequels to this?
It's been a while for me on those, but I recall FEAST II being bonkers.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

This is horror movie adjacent, but I just stumbled across this 1990s BBC Radio adaptation of AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON; I'm only a few minutes into it so far, but it's really quite good, and even takes some interesting liberties which keep it kind of fresh.  Jenny Agutter, John Woodvine, and Brian Glover reprise their roles, and the overall soundscape is extremely effective!

Hey guys, doing good. Hope y’all are as well. Not many horror recommendations at the moment, been spending most of the pandemic binging TV shows. But that means I’ve got a lot of movies waiting for me when I decide to change gears
Nice find on that AWIL adaption. BBC has been doing horror projects for radio for quite a while, but I never knew about that one. They also did The Ring, The Exorcist, and a couple of other big ones.
(05-25-2020, 11:12 PM)dan benenson Wrote: Hey guys, doing good. Hope y’all are as well. Not many horror recommendations at the moment, been spending most of the pandemic binging TV shows. But that means I’ve got a lot of movies waiting for me when I decide to change gears

Glad you're still around!

(05-25-2020, 11:28 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: Nice find on that AWIL adaption. BBC has been doing horror projects for radio for quite a while, but I never knew about that one. They also did The Ring, The Exorcist, and a couple of other big ones.

I'll have to track down that EXORCIST one.
I watched the 2018 British horror anthology GHOST STORIES. Really well shot, and I liked it a bunch, up until the ending, which made me audibly groan.
Yeah, the ending basically ruined the whole movie for me.
Ghost Stories is great!