Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
(08-29-2020, 06:30 PM)Evi Wrote: Yeah, RANDOM ACTS is really good. Baruchel's actually showing some serious talent behind the camera.

Watched EXTRA ORDINARY today, an unassuming take on Ghostbusters given an Irish pastoral twist. I mostly dug it, it's very funny at parts and aside  from the Irish cast, whom I wasn't familiar with, also features a scene-stealing turn from Will Forte. It'd make for good Sunday afternoon viewing.

Yeah, Extra Ordinary was lots of fun. "Sunday afternoon horror" is actually a good way to describe it (now I'm wondering what other movies I might include if I was making a list)

"I'm doing a small wee."
Doing the 1 week trial for Shudder. For what it was, I found Host to get surprisingly mean in it’s back half. The Beach House was fine . . . could have used more abject body horror. Jake Weber was pretty awful in it.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
Oh shit I forgot to cancel Shudder!!
I think I can get to everything I’d want to see in a week.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
I almost caught Countdown in theaters last year.  As I debated if I even wanted to drive 90 minutes (and back) to meet some friends for what I figured would be a terrible movie, the pair backed out.  I've had worse heartbreaks.

Anyways, I watched it recently, and it wasn't exactly the cookie-cutter nonsense I expected.  The horror elements are the worst parts, though, since the demon in all its CGI glory looks ridiculous and the scares are pretty much nonexistent.  

There are some okay-ish characters in this film, though, so the drama comes off way better than in most of its supernatural counterparts at the multiplex in recent years.  A #metoo subplot adds a different vibe, and the film even dabbles in comedy in the second act (I chuckled a few times).

Does it all fit together perfectly?  Eh, no, but I'd much rather watch this one with friends and drinks than other recent stuff like Truth or Dare or The Possession of Hannah Grace.
If you're into Troma and Astron 6-style schlockery, you can't go wrong with MUTANT BLAST. A freedom fighter and her sidekick traverse a post-apocalyptic wastelands filled with all manner of zombies, mutants and robots. That's pretty much the plot. The whole thing seems like it was written in one sitting, which isn't a complaint when the writers have this many wacky ideas.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
I almost saw Mutant Blast in the theater but the pandemic hit, and everything closed down!
Annabelle Comes Home has a different vibe than the other Conjuring flicks.  Firstly, it's a teenage-centric story with a few spurts of comedy thrown in (the pizza guy, in particular).  Secondly, the film plays off more like a greatest hits selection of Warren stories the producers know they'll likely never make movies out of.  I was disappointed to see the werewolf since I thought a movie was being pondered (didn't matter - the CGI sucked anyway).

I didn't love Annabelle: Creation, but was pleasantly surprised by it since the first spin-off was such a bland and terrible film.  The prequel had some tense moments, a solid story and some cool-looking shots.  Comes Home is much more bare-boned, even if there are some character moments that work.  

There are definitely worse films in this universe, but I was hoping for better.

Hopefully, the third Conjuring movie gets things back on track.  I never read The Devil in Connecticut, but I know someone who told me the novel gave her nightmares.
I think COMES HOME is the best of the three ANNABELLEs, myself. It's got a kind of "harder-edged GOOSEBUMPS story" flavor to it that I quite enjoyed.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I even liked the first one, but I took someone who actually screamed at all the scary parts. So that made it seem scarier.
I like Creation best but thought Comes Home was pretty good for it basically being Conjuring 2.5 and certainly where they will take the series once Mom and Dad get tired of doing these. First Annabelle is still terrible though.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Very well...
MAUSOLEUM (1983)

[Image: MV5BNzg2Zjg3NTctNGVlNC00ODNmLThjNWEtOThj...00_AL_.jpg]

This was on Shudder, and BOY OH BOY is it weird. Here's the Letterboxd synopsis:

"Traumatized by her mother’s death, young Susan is becoming possessed by the same demon that possessed her mother before she died. More and more her husband and psychiatrist are noticing the strange changes"

The woman is played by former Playboy bunny Bobbie Bresee, and her husband is played by Marjoe Gortner. Bresee spends a lot of time naked with glowing green eyes...there's some cool demon makeup (she turns into a different demon each time), and she also has...magical powers? It's pretty awesomely weird, and Gortner is unintentionally hilarious as her dupe of a husband. The highlight might be SANFORD AND SON'S Lawanda Page as the couple's maid, who has a great scene (which I'm pretty sure she improvised) where she realizes what's up and gets the hell out of there. Either that or the possessed demon boobs. However, nothing in the movie is as cool as the poster.
"Possessed demon boobs" is basically its own horror subgenre.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
I watched that one for the first time recently too, definitely some weird wild b-movie fun. The scene with the maid leaving was hilarious, maybe not entirely in the way it was intended but Page definitely had fun with it. It’s like a little gift for everyone who’s ever shouted at a horror movie character to just leave at the first sign of danger, finally someone had some sense lol

(08-31-2020, 09:42 PM)Mangy Wrote: MAUSOLEUM (1983)

[Image: MV5BNzg2Zjg3NTctNGVlNC00ODNmLThjNWEtOThj...00_AL_.jpg]

This was on Shudder, and BOY OH BOY is it weird. Here's the Letterboxd synopsis:

"Traumatized by her mother’s death, young Susan is becoming possessed by the same demon that possessed her mother before she died. More and more her husband and psychiatrist are noticing the strange changes"

The woman is played by former Playboy bunny Bobbie Bresee, and her husband is played by Marjoe Gortner. Bresee spends a lot of time naked with glowing green eyes...there's some cool demon makeup (she turns into a different demon each time), and she also has...magical powers? It's pretty awesomely weird, and Gortner is unintentionally hilarious as her dupe of a husband. The highlight might be SANFORD AND SON'S Lawanda Page as the couple's maid, who has a great scene (which I'm pretty sure she improvised) where she realizes what's up and gets the hell out of there. Either that or the possessed demon boobs. However, nothing in the movie is as cool as the poster.

I picked up the Vinegar Syndrome Blu-ray last year, and holy shit did I have fun with this one. The scene with the maid is great, but hardly ten minutes goes by without another WTF moment, my favorite being the dude she casually murders via levitation in the shopping mall.

Also, that ending.....specifically the last shot.....who?! How?!?! WUT?!?!
Quote:Also, that ending.....specifically the last shot.....who?! How?!?! WUT?!?!
It might be the most nonsensical "twist" ending I've ever seen. It makes ZERO sense. Then the credits roll and some soft rock ballad starts playing.  I was floored.
Think this is in my immediate future.
Yeah, Mausoleum is probably getting its day in court.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I bought it on the spot reading the discussion.

That said, I still have NIGHT FLYER on my Horror shelf unwatched. My last enthusiastic thread related blind buy.

I have so many movies that get put away and forgotten like the ark at the end of RAIDERS.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Is Night Flyer on blu?

I remember that being good and creepy but I haven’t seen it since... god probably since renting it on VHS from blockbuster
It looks like The Night Flyer is on YouTube? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4QV28a-Re8
Thirty years later, GRIZZLY II, starring George Clooney, Laura Dern, Charlie Sheen, John Rhys-Davies and Louise Fletcher, is finally being released. The making of the movie sounds incredible - https://www.theringer.com/movies/2020/8/...hys-davies
(09-03-2020, 09:58 AM)Mangy Wrote: Thirty years later, GRIZZLY II, starring George Clooney, Laura Dern, Charlie Sheen, John Rhys-Davies and Louise Fletcher, is finally being released. The making of the movie sounds incredible - https://www.theringer.com/movies/2020/8/...hys-davies

To disc or never released at all?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Never released at all.

It technically wasn't finished.
Anyone watched Uncaged on Shudder yet? Movie about a killer lion. My interest just went up after finding out it is from Dick Maas, the director of Amsterdamned and The Lift (and more recently, Sint).
(09-03-2020, 12:40 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: Anyone watched Uncaged on Shudder yet? Movie about a killer lion. My interest just went up after finding out it is from Dick Maas, the director of Amsterdamned and The Lift (and more recently, Sint).

I want to see it, but my dog freaks out whenever there are any animals on screen. I've never been able to see DOG SOLDIERS for this very reason.
Perhaps your dog will start behaving if you show him The Pool?
(09-03-2020, 01:04 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: Perhaps your dog will start behaving if you show him The Pool?

Nope! I think he finally settled down and fell asleep during the 'dog dying' segment, but the whole opening he was barking and trying to nudge the screen. It's maddening.
(09-03-2020, 12:47 PM)Mangy Wrote:
(09-03-2020, 12:40 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: Anyone watched Uncaged on Shudder yet? Movie about a killer lion. My interest just went up after finding out it is from Dick Maas, the director of Amsterdamned and The Lift (and more recently, Sint).

I want to see it, but my dog freaks out whenever there are any animals on screen. I've never been able to see DOG SOLDIERS for this very reason.

I have good news. There are no actual Dog Soldiers in the movie, just werewolves.
Dogs, werewolves, bears, even the Jurassic Park dinosaurs...if it has fangs and roars, my dog goes crazy.

This one is an amusing timewaster. Really silly movie that uses every cliche in the book and heavily favours CGI over practical, so not an essential watch or anything. Nevertheless a competently made low tier monster movie that refuses to take itself too seriously (The Ghost and the Darkness this is not). And the fact that it is set and filmed in Amsterdam adds character compared to its closest competitors, where you're probably looking at Croatia subbing for Louisiana or whatever. Give it a try if you've had your fill of gator flicks.
Checked out the new Maisie Williams horror-ish thriller vehicle THE OWNERS tonight.

It's nothing we haven’t seen before, though it’s not totally lacking in some effective execution. The fundamental problem, as is always the case with this sort of premise, is that the audience is not left with an easy answer to the question of who to root for; nobody’s particularly sympathetic, which makes it difficult to care one way or another. Dipshit criminals vs. psychopaths... pick your poison. I mean, sure, Maisie Williams is technically the intended emotional investment point, and she does what she can, but for the most part, this is an exercise in terrible people doing terrible things to each other.

But it’s efficient, wastes little time on extraneous business, and does provide at least a few suspenseful moments.
The Shed: Gave it a go because the premise sounded interesting. I should have bailed 15 minutes into this when it was already clear that nothing about the film was working. But like a fool I kept watching, hoping there might be some good bits later on. Skip it.