Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The All Purpose SHOWS THAT AREN'T WORTH A DEDICATED THREAD Thread
I'm hoping it's good, but this *really* doesn't look like Utopia.

I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
I finished watching S1 and 2 of Jordan Peele's Twilight Zone remake. And despite some good casting with some really good character actors, as well as a nice overall look to each episode, I was quite disappointed in this. Peele is clearly a big fan of the original (like so many of us myself included) because there are quite of bit of call backs and Easter Eggs to the original series. One episode in particular was basically an homage to Rod Serling himself and that was certainly an intriguing and original concept for an episode I actually liked that one and a couple of others, but there were hardly any episodes that stand out or make you want to go "Ohhhhh". They didn't have that feeling of karma or allure that the original had. Granted it is easy to try and live up to a classic TV series like the TZ. Still, I would say other remakes of the TZ, like the 80's version or even the early 2000's remakes were better and had more memorable episodes.

If there's a S3 I will watch because it is the Twilight Zone after all, but I'm hoping for something a lot better than what we've gotten so far.
I was bored so I watched For All Mankind (the alt-history 'what if the Russians landed on the moon first' show) this weekend. It's pretty good. Some elements of Ministry of Space (the alt history 'what if the British took all the Nazi rocket scientists and started their own space program' graphic novel) in the way it portrays this one thing going slightly sideways having significant repercussions not just technologically, but socially as well: stuff like NASA starts recruiting women astronauts right after Apollo 11 because the Soviets publicly have a cosmonaut woman, Ted Kennedy beats Nixon in '73 and gets the ERA ratified, the Apollo program pretty aggressively continues (they're up to Apollo 25 by the end of the first season) and a semi-permanent moon base is established in the early 70s.
New episodes of Adult Swim's Primal  coming on Oct. 4th! 

For those who missed it last Fall, it's a show about a caveman and his T-Rex companion traveling through a fantastical prehistoric world where they battle killer beasts and try to survive. It's awesome! 

Primal has some of the best written dialogue in adult animation ever. Great story telliing.
Git' in under mah belly!
The first season of Primal was amazing. Cant wait!
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
Yeah...Primal is freaking astounding.

"There's only one question to resolve. I'm scared. I feel a little crazy. I'm not lucid. The assumptions are right. I can feel my fear growing. Now is the time for the answer. Just one question. One question to answer.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
Speaking of dinosaurs thqt new Jurassic World animated series CAMP CRETACEOUS on Netflix is pretty good! A lot more entertaining and fun than the films that inspired it.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Wife watched that RATCHED show on Netflix. I caught a couple of episodes during her binge, and it's exactly as dreadful as you think. Ugh.
On a whim I checked out a few episodes of the RISE OF TMNT series via Netflix and holy shit that show is bloody great. Wasn't expecting that level of insanity at all.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Hmm, I checked out the first episode of that when it first came out. Nope!

But that's probably just the old school Turtle fan in me, having grown up with the original cartoon, toys, movies, and video games. This newest version is too jarring. Same reason I couldn't get into the latest two movies either.
Git' in under mah belly!
I really liked THE COMEY RULE. If you like docudramas a la SPOTLIGHT or SHATTERED GLASS, it's your jam. Career best work from Gleeson, who gives Trump real depth, menace, and layers while rendering a mostly unsympathetic (if fair) portrayal. It plays best if you watch it in a single chunk, like I did, so just keep that in mind.
home taping is killing music
Netflix developing Conan the Barbarian tv series.
(09-30-2020, 01:28 PM)serpico jones Wrote: Netflix developing Conan the Barbarian tv series.

I think a huge part of it will come down to casting (A book-appropriate Conan should be built like Bruce Lee, not Arnold, IMO), but Netflix is an ideal place for an "adventure of the week" Conan series.
home taping is killing music
Steven DeKnight just tweeted that he was going to be the showrunner of the Conan show but dropped out a few months ago. It was not an amicable parting with Netflix, apparently.
Maybe he can go make Pacific Rim 3. instead.
Git' in under mah belly!
I greatly enjoyed TED LASSO. Maybe not worth buying Apple+ for it, but with a free trial, it was pretty great. Very light, very slight, very funny.
There are no words...

I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Rhianna Pratchett has been pretty vocally disowning the show and trying to distance it from her father's books for months now. Her line used to be 'it's "inspired by" not "based on" the books,' but with the release of the trailer she just came out and said "Look, I think it's fairly obvious that @TheWatch shares no DNA with my father's Watch. This is neither criticism nor support. It is what it is."
I have no prior idea about The Watch is, but that trailer looks fun.
Git' in under mah belly!
I watched the whole trailer, and I have less idea what THE WATCH is than when I had never heard of it.
Looks like Men in Black/X-Files for all manner of paranormal activity and cosmic horror, by way of Britain.

Or something.
Git' in under mah belly!
Straight answer: the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is the rag-tag police department of the primary setting of most of Terry Pratchett's Discworld satirical fantasy novels, staffed by a bunch of misfits variously corrupt, lazy, dense, naive, drunk, or (occasionally) competent. They show up in many of the books and star in a number of them, which generally take a weirdly charming sort of clashing tone like if Barney Miller occasionally crossed over with Dirty Harry.

But, not having bothered to watch the trailer, I wouldn't trust modern television to get the tone right in any case, and certainly not if it really is more just some producer's "inspired by a concept half-derived from a thing my roommate's cousin's brother once read and mentioned to me at a party fifteen years ago" affair than an actual adaptation.
I read a few of them when I was a teenager. Fantasy Hot Fuzz, basically. Tropey deconstruction stuff.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN

Hellooooooo Nurse (probably won't be in the reboot)! 
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
I remain mystified that someone thought they should reboot Supermarket Sweep as a primetime show.
Eh, what's it gonna cost them? Thirty bucks?
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
That's a good point.  Costs very little to be produced and ratings don't really matter. It's like the advertising sponsored tv content of yore.  Very easy for the sponsors' products to be featured.  For consumption!
I love grocery shopping, and I remember watching the old one back in the day that was hosted by the man that played Thurston Howell III's son in a Gilligan's Island movie.

Had to look him up, his name is David Ruprecht 

[Image: c3f0d118193fb333e20fa906a890a6ec62-27-Su...e.w330.jpg]
That sweater though.
Git' in under mah belly!
Cliff Huxtable would be proud.
Making my way through Gangs Of London. Enjoying it greatly. Manage to work some incredible gunfight or martial arts into every episode so far. Watching this and Warrior back to back would be something.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Ohh man episode 5.....
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(10-24-2020, 09:17 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: Ohh man episode 5.....

Little bit absolutely fucking bonkers, wasn't it?
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
In the best way. The boat was right there....