Thread Rating:
  • 19 Vote(s) - 3.26 Average
Trumpocalypse Now
I think Mitch is reading the room quite astutely. Get this rammed through now or it's not happening.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Again, the GOP is not a serious party and should be treated with the circus sound effects that follow those bumbling cops in Halloween 5:

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1312197863363866624

Quote:These details of the Amy Coney Barrett super spreader ceremony baffle and infuriate me. I question the judgment of any adult who would act this recklessly. All these people should know better. Now they may have created a goddamn covid outbreak. 

Was Mitch near any of the infected? Him getting sick because of his greed, arrogance, and lust for power would be as deservingly fitting as Trump.
"You want a vision of the future?Imagine a boot stomping on a human face.....forever."
Accurate:

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1...8987242496

Quote:Before RBG was even *in the ground*, the White House staged a super-spreader event to celebrate their nominee in hopes that they could seat her on the court in time to hear their case for why America's entire system health insurance regulation should be destroyed.

Also accurate:

https://twitter.com/neeratanden/status/1...5802220544

Quote:Holding hearings on a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court while multiple members of the Judiciary Committee test positive for Covid -- quarantining less than the time they should to ram through this nomination-- makes this process even more of a joke.
I believe it was a great Russian who once said -
"If he dies, he dies."
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
We're not done, apparently:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/02...-19-425722

Quote:Donald Trump’s campaign manager has tested positive for Covid-19, dealing another blow to his reelection effort on a day that saw the president and the head of the Republican National Committee report contracting the disease as well.

Bill Stepien received his diagnosis Friday evening and was experiencing what one senior campaign official described as “mild flu-like symptoms.” People familiar with the situation said the 42-year-old Stepien plans to quarantine until he recovers.

Deputy Campaign Manager Justin Clark is expected to oversee the Trump team’s Arlington, Va. headquarters while Stepien works remotely, though advisers stressed that he would maintain control of the campaign.

Stepien’s disclosure means the two heads of the president’s political apparatus have now contracted the coronavirus: RNC Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel announced earlier Friday that she, too, is infected. The news comes at a perilous moment for Trump, with polls showing him trailing former Vice President Joe Biden in an array of battleground states and dwindling days to make up the lost ground.

After White House adviser Hope Hicks tested positive Thursday, senior members of the reelection campaign underwent tests of their own. Each of the others, including Clark, tested negative.

Stepien traveled to and from Cleveland for Tuesday’s presidential debate. He joined Trump and Hicks aboard Air Force One. The campaign manager was also with the president in the White House on Monday.
Quoted in its entirety from the Post, as Petri is en fuego:

I’ve had enough news now, thank you

Either last week, or a day, or 30 years ago (I am not sure exactly which), I thought there might be a brief respite from the news cycle, so I got up to get a sandwich. When I sat back down, the New York Times had obtained the president’s tax returns and Donald Trump had bitten off debate moderator Chris Wallace’s head, having mistaken him for a bat.

Now I’m staring at my phone trying not to blink in the hope that I can prevent any more news from happening. I zoned out briefly, and in the 60 seconds when my mind was elsewhere, October surprised me six times. I hate surprises! I do not hate October, but that attitude can change if it keeps this up! I thought it might be safe to take a nap during the interval after the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, but when I woke up, Melania Trump had come out against Christmas or something and I had sprouted a long beard full of ninepins.

Last night, the news came in that President Trump and the first lady had both tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

Frankly, I’m done.

Every time I close my eyes, even for a brief instant, something new happens that throws the whole year into chaos. I keep being visited by time travelers from two minutes in the future saying they are nostalgic for this time, right now, before the next thing had happened. WHAT THING? But they only sigh and vanish.

These things simply cannot keep happening every day. My fragile system cannot take any more of this. I just want to sit down. Well, I am sitting down, but I want to feel like I am sitting down, instead of feeling what I currently feel, which is that my clenched jaw is on the verge of shattering into a thousand pieces and my tensed shoulders are about to punch a hole in the ceiling.

The experience of consuming news in 2020 continues to reach ever more alarming heights of chaos and surrealism. It has been the moment in a film right after someone says, “Well, at least it can’t get worse.” So whoever is stepping on a butterfly needs to stop. I am all set on bombshells.

Meanwhile, my own life has been drained of all activity. My personal bar for what constitutes an “event” has dropped so low as to be subterranean. I have spent nonzero amounts of time cheering on the Roomba as it locates its dock. A bird got into the house in March and I am still talking about it.

Oh, God, something’s happening, isn’t it? I know it is.

You know, put me on that new million-dollar toilet, and shoot me into space. Let the meteor come. Let the waters cover me. I’m tired. I’ve had all the news I would like, thank you. I am newsed out.

As a matter of fact, I am nervous that if I look up from this column, something else will have happened, something equally alarming that I equally did not anticipate. I am almost nervous to try to imagine what that might be because my experience in 2020 is that if you jokingly invoke a far-fetched impossibility, it will be the next day’s headline: “The Yellowstone Caldera” — “Six kaiju” — see, I can’t even type any further.

No, thank you. Hang a sign on the door of 2020 and let them know I will be receiving no further events. I tried it for a while, this “keeping up with the news of the day” thing, but I think it is a fad that has run its course. History may continue, but I am happy to stand athwart the news cycle yelling, “Stop!.”

Maybe if I don’t blink ever again, there won’t be any more news. It is a thesis worth testing. Maybe if I keep typing this column forever, I won’t have to see what the next new is! Stay here with me, where at least we don’t know about the next thing. At least at press time.
Whoever he owes $421 million probably feels like Eric Bogosian trapped in that glass anteroom near the end of "Uncut Gems."
It's all big news and people are going nuts and I can't blame them. But I feel like there needs to be a notice every hour or so that it's not great or poetic justice or anything unless he has a severe case. And then a recovery is only going to make him and his followers insufferable. So don't crow too hard, world. I know it's hard
CNN's Phil Mattingly:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/statu...8225740800

Quote:One GOP official tonight told me a big concern right now is “we have no clue what the blast radius is at this point.”

Every hour that passes seems to keep proving exactly that
(10-03-2020, 12:52 AM)Iron Maiden Wrote: CNN's Phil Mattingly:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/statu...8225740800

Quote:One GOP official tonight told me a big concern right now is “we have no clue what the blast radius is at this point.”

Every hour that passes seems to keep proving exactly that

Fuck, you could apply that blast radius metaphor to the whole of DJT’s time in office.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Definitely one of those pieces I wish I wrote myself:

https://defector.com/think-of-how-easy-i...ronavirus/

Quote:As short stories go, Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Masque of the Red Death” is very short. At 2,378 words it would qualify as a decently economical Jamboroo installment, and can be neatly summed up in a sentence. During a time of plague, a prince and his royal buddies repair to a well-provisioned castle, weld the iron gates shut, and throw themselves a heedless, non-stop party in defiance of the sickness ravaging the world outside, until such time as that party becomes immediately and entirely untenable. It’s a perfect story, but it’s not a subtle one.

If there’s any aspect of the presidency in which Donald Trump has come close to flourishing during his first term, it is the ceremonial one. To the extent that anything in his plummy, anxious, relentlessly public life prepared him for the job ahead, it was this. Trump has bobbed and leered through gaudy ballrooms all his life, blithely cutting the line at one buffet after another and demanding one more ashen flap of beef than any other guest is permitted, rising to Make Some Remarks at some point in the evening, and otherwise circling and circulating to receive the thanks and praise that are his due as host. He may enjoy all of that, but it’s just as likely that he doesn’t. Trump is not at these parties to have fun, anyway. He’s there because it’s the only place he can be.

The thing for him is to move, to collect whatever adulation there is and then to float on, leaving behind the absolute minimum of his own small self. The tribute he receives from these supplicants—the habitually divorced, the serial franchisees, the plump pink yachters and the reckless sunburned boaters alike—is fulsome but reflexive. It’s thin and vague and it doesn’t sustain him so much as it propels him ahead; it’s the continual rush of water through a shark’s gills that allows it to breathe. The other guests, the schools of smaller Trumps that push him around the room, are all mostly there because he is, but the party doesn’t really start until he leaves. It’s then, lit up with the memories of the moment when they saw some perfected and untouchable version of themselves in Donald Trump and were acknowledged by him in turn, that the celebrating starts.
“At the best of times, Trumpworld operates with all the strategic direction of a chicken with its head cut off. Right now, they’re operating like a chicken with its head cut off, lit on fire, and thrown off a cliff.” — a senior GOP official

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/10/...erica.html
(10-02-2020, 09:48 PM)chavez Wrote:
(10-02-2020, 09:02 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: Secret Service agents expressed their anger and frustration to colleagues and friends Friday, saying that the president’s actions have repeatedly put them at risk. “He’s never cared about us,” one agent told a confidant.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/...story.html

Giving lie to the whole "what if he loses and refuses to leave?" 

Secret Service would be shoving him out onto Pennsylvania Avenue.

This has been driving me up the wall for months.  I get the anxiety AND the distrust toward anyone with a uniform, but Trump was never going to have a critical mass of Secret Service or Department of Defense people backing him while he overthrew the republic.  Not when Biden, the winner of the election in this hypothetical, is the real fucking president as soon as he recites the oath of office.
Please consider lending a hand if you can, or posting my gofundme link elsewhere in Social Media Land.

http://citizens.trouble.city/showthread.php?tid=162311&pid=4721386#pid4721386
Exactly, not to mention the fact that Trump is the ultimate coward who only knows how to bully but recoils whenever someone stands up to him.
(10-03-2020, 10:56 AM)history buff Wrote: Exactly, not to mention the fact that Trump is the ultimate coward who only knows how to bully but recoils whenever someone stands up to him.

I was wrong all these years when I was comparing him to Palpatine.  Trump is General Grievous.

Apt comparison.
Now infected with the Rose Garden Virus: Ron Johnson and Chris Christie.

I bet on at least one more positive test before end of today.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
At this point they should just start reporting who in the DJT admin. HASN'T been infected...
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Who else has the Piano Exit portion of Layla on repeat?
Logging into Facebook to see which of my dumbass "Fuck Your Feelings" friends and relatives are having absolute meltdowns about the tone the libs are taking.      

[Image: 1246995.jpg]
With regards to everything that has to do with this admin., use of language is all too important.

Quote:Jonathan Karl
@jonkarl

“About 48 hours ago the president received a special antibody therapy directed at the coronavirus” - Dr Garabaldi, Walter Reed. 48 hours ago? Thursday morning? Before he tested positive?

8:48 AM · Oct 3, 2020

[Image: the-irishman-1.jpg?w=1024]

"It's what it is."
They've been trying to say the doctor misspoke regarding the hours.  It's definitely one of those moments it'd be nice to have some credibility, but the Trump administration has less than zero.  Very good chance they knowingly exposed more people.

Anyways:

"Two people close to the White House said in separate interviews with The New York Times that the president had trouble breathing on Friday and that his oxygen level dropped, prompting his doctors to give him supplemental oxygen while at the White House."

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/10/03/...usly-known
Right now, watching the Rose Garden ceremony with all news reports about the positive tests interspliced while "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" plays is better than watching the old or new miniseries of The Stand to me.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
Imagine spending $250,000 to eat at a buffet during a fucking pandemic... and the guy getting your money is sick!

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/day-trum...d=73394174

Quote:The roughly 100 campaign supporters who paid up to $250,000 to attend had no idea that the president had recently been exposed to the novel coronavirus and would soon test positive. One day later, New Jersey health officials are trying to locate those who attended in case anyone shook hands or snapped photos with Trump.

"He made some jokes, he looked fine, he was happy, he was laughing, he was funny," said Katherine Hermes, a member of the club who paid $2,600 for a ticket and went with her husband. "I was flabbergasted when I woke up this morning. He looked perfectly healthy."

There are differing accounts of how much effort the president made to keep his distance from guests. ABC News spoke with more than half a dozen people who attended the event. Most said the president kept people at bay. White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany told reporters the president "socially distanced, it was an outdoor event and it was deemed safe by a White House operations for him to attend that event."

Spenser Sembrat, the founder of a travel business, told ABC News that when the president addressed the group, they all sat at tables separated by at least 6 feet.

"It was a buffet style, but from what I could tell everyone was wearing masks," he said.
"Before being taken to Walter Reed, Trump kept asking aides, “Am I going out like Stan Chera? Am I?” (Chera was Trump’s NYC friend who died of Covid in April)."

https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/statu...1662926850
Loose lips sink ships, Meadows!

https://twitter.com/Olivianuzzi/status/1...1079057409

Quote:UPDATE: Immediately after the press conference ended and before the anonymous statement was sent out, Mark Meadows briefed reporters without cameras—but he was caught on a feed asking to be off the record.

Video at the link.
(10-03-2020, 02:02 PM)huntertarantino Wrote: "Before being taken to Walter Reed, Trump kept asking aides, “Am I going out like Stan Chera? Am I?” (Chera was Trump’s NYC friend who died of Covid in April)."

https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/statu...1662926850

He's absolutely terrified.

Great!
Once one's in Trump's orbit, you're already lying:

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1...6259427328

Quote:A feature of Trump’s presidency is he’s been able to torque everyone in proximity to him to tell transparent lies. The point of the lies is not necessarily that they be believed but that they demonstrate the authoritarian power that compels the subordinates to pronounce them.

This transparent lying has happened famously in the National Park Service’s estimation of crowd sizes at his inauguration, in the military, in the intelligence community, at the Justice Department, at State, at NOAA weather forecasting centers, etc.

It also happened at the White House Medical Unit, where Dr. Ronny Jackson gave a patently BS account of the president’s health to the press in 2018 and Trump attempted to reward him with a cabinet post.

Nevertheless, a lot of people—myself included—were holding out hope that practicing physicians in a hospital setting treating the president as a patient would not fall into the same pattern of transparent truckling lies. As it turns out, they have, and it feels terrible to watch.

The medical profession is a trusted institution in American society, and producing a doctor who will give plain, reliable facts to the public in an emergency is one of its institutional roles. That utterly failed today, presumably because these doctors are in orbit around Trump.
Quote:Before being taken to Walter Reed, Trump kept asking aides, “Am I going out like Stan Chera? Am I?”

https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/1312442681662926850

I hope Trump survives - it's important that the US, and the world, see him watch his leadership be rejected and singled out in history - but it warms my heart to hear that he was panicky and scared. 
The White House has changed its story so many times now, I'm struggling to even know what to post.  

They're clearly covering shit up, and there have been multiple occasions now where doctors have been corrected or "corrected" or... who the hell knows?!

What we do know is Trump's symptoms are more in line with the 72 hours timeframe than the 36 hours one they're trying to sell now.

Just follow Daniel Dale on Twitter and try not to get a headache.  He already has one, I think.
I can’t help wondering if he was sweaty and mildly symptomatic during the debate.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
One useful thing from the Trump era: we now have an easy reference for extreme narcissism.

The guy had a bud die from COVID, yet it still wasn't real to him until he got it.

He really thinks people cease to exist when he looks away from them.
Gamertag: Tweakee