Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SUPERMAN PRE-RELEASE (202X)
(02-27-2021, 12:53 AM)Overlord Wrote: Michael B. Jordan ... John David Washington ... John Boyega ... aren't there any black guys taller than 5'9" who are available to play Superman?

I guess we're past the point of fan-casting Idris Elba in everything--?
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
Elba finally aged out.

Pity, he would have fucking KILLED IT as the classic unflappable Bond like Connery and Moore. Oh well.
Wesley Snipes!
(02-27-2021, 01:17 AM)freeman Wrote: Then why bother?  That's not the character of Clark Kent anymore.

A fair question, but if this what they're going to do isn't it pretty clear that they merely want to take the "Superman" identity and then give it a new spin?  

We're not going to see the exact same origin story again, are we?

(02-27-2021, 01:17 AM)freeman Wrote: Then why bother? That's not the character of Clark Kent anymore.

I gather there have been some fill-in characters in the comics once in a while, but Superman is not an honorary title to just be transferred. It's Clark Kent. All of the things that are appealing about Superman are appealing because of Clark's upbringing, background, and personal character.

I can't envision going to see a Superman movie where he's not Superman. That sounds completely uninteresting to me.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I dunno, I can imagine quite a bit.
I don't think they're gonna make a Superman movie where he isn't Clark Kent.
I would be over the moon if they decided to make this a STEEL movie instead but of course it won't be.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
(02-27-2021, 02:04 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I dunno, I can imagine quite a bit.

A snail crawling along the edge of a straight razor?

That's dialectic physics, man.
I’m perfectly fine with a black Peter Parker. It makes a lot of sense. But when you start getting specific in new and interesting ways and you change back story here here and here suddenly that’s a neat new character, Miles.

I’m fine with small changes here and there to make your take on Bruce Wayne or Clark Kent different than the past, but if you want to make fairly large changes, just start your own character at that point.
I wouldn't mind seeing Jovan Adepo (THE LEFTOVERS, OVERLORD, WATCHMEN) play Superman. He was also in FENCES with Denzel Washington and Viola Davis, who'd be perfect as his Earth parents. Nicole Beharie as Lois.

(02-26-2021, 02:36 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Bokeem Woodbine for Lex.

Yes. Alternatively, Ruth Negga as Alexandra Luthor.
I agree that Clark is the most likely Supes for one of these movies but I wonder if President Superman isn't a possibility (Calvin Ellis, an alternate Earth Superman who is also the POTUS, created by Grant Morrison as a sort of Obama analogue.) Probably not...TNC's involvement and that he'd have an interesting take on Obama-as-Superman is the only reason I'm thinking of it.
Ray Fisher would’ve been perfect for this. Oh well!
Trevante Rhodes might be an interesting pick.
Never going to happen. The Chinese won't like a black Superman.
"I don't do tag-teams with blood relatives". Kenny Powers.
(02-27-2021, 04:55 AM)bluelouboyle Wrote: Never going to happen. The Chinese won't like a black Superman.

Do the Chinese give a fuck about the current Superman?
Not sure. MOS did OK there. My point is that black actors are not traditonally big box office there.
"I don't do tag-teams with blood relatives". Kenny Powers.
(02-27-2021, 05:46 AM)bluelouboyle Wrote: Not sure. MOS did OK there. My point is that black actors are not traditonally big box office there.

It's cool they will just not have Superman on his own poster.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
What about Bridgerton dude? Although I've seen Bond rumors about him, and that actually seems a better fit.
Just this guy, you know?
Bridgerton duke is actually great casting. Dude's well built and a...fine actor. I still like the idea of a relative unknown in the role.

(02-27-2021, 12:53 AM)Overlord Wrote: Michael B. Jordan ... John David Washington ... John Boyega ... aren't there any black guys taller than 5'9" who are available to play Superman?

I guess they could get Shaq to return for a Steel sequel...
PSN Handle: chetripley80
Regé-Jean Page, that's the name.
Just this guy, you know?
(02-27-2021, 10:46 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Regé-Jean Page, that's the name.

that man has mega star written all over him.  He'll be all over the place in 3 years.
After a day to let this news settle in, some thoughts. They're not optimistic.

My prediction: TNC's script, if it actually gets written, is, at best, given the salad bar approach by WB. More likely almost completely rewritten or thrown out.

IF we get a Black actor playing Superman, I'm guessing any sharp cultural commentary will get the edges sanded down a LOT. Or completely. There's no way WB - who wants every comic book movie they make to earn a billion dollars - will risk the IP with a story and tone that will likely offend a large portion of the American audience. (Note that this is not me saying they should give a fuck about racist MAGA-heads.)

I think we get a Black Bond before a Black Superman, but I also think we're sadly a long way away from either.

ETA: My vote for current Black actor to play Superman: Aldis Hodge, who plays Jim Brown in One Night in Miami, and played Elizabeth Moss's cop friend in Invisible Man. Dude has charisma for fucking miles, a great physique (including height) and seems to be able to exude the basic decency and good character needed for the role.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Do we really want "sharp cultural commentary" in a Superman movie in the first place? I sure as hell don't, and also don't appreciate the implication that it puts me in the particular category Michael described.
(02-27-2021, 12:11 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Do we really want "sharp cultural commentary" in a Superman movie in the first place?  I sure as hell don't, and also don't appreciate the implication that it puts me in the particular category Michael described.

Well there's cultural commentary in Superman inherently, if you want to look at it at an angle of an immigrant coming to America and ultimately becoming it and the world's savior.

I mean, how many times have we seen a traditional Superman story being told. I don't think it means that it has to be solely about anti-racism, but I wouldn't mind a superhero film with some edge.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
if Superman can take on the KKK, I’d like to think we can handle SHARP CULTURAL COMMENTARY from a Superman movie

I sure as hell can!
(02-27-2021, 12:16 PM)Nooj Wrote: if Superman can take on the KKK, I’d like to think we can handle SHARP CULTURAL COMMENTARY from a Superman movie

I sure as hell can!

I bought and read that graphic novel a few months ago. It's pretty good.

Think Michael's right-- if Coates's pitch involves some "sharp social commentary" and it survives through production I'd be fucking shocked. So much of this is setting the cat amongst the pigeons, seems to me.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
Yeah, Superman Smashes the Klan is one of the better recent Superman stories (and frankly, I'd be down to see a film about the real-life story of how the Superman radio program was used to expose the Klan back in the day).
(02-27-2021, 11:39 AM)MichaelM Wrote: After a day to let this news settle in, some thoughts. They're not optimistic.

My prediction: TNC's script, if it actually gets written, is, at best, given the salad bar approach by WB. More likely almost completely rewritten or thrown out.

IF we get a Black actor playing Superman, I'm guessing any sharp cultural commentary will get the edges sanded down a LOT. Or completely. There's no way WB - who wants every comic book movie they make to earn a billion dollars - will risk the IP with a story and tone that will likely offend a large portion of the American audience. (Note that this is not me saying they should give a fuck about racist MAGA-heads.)

I think we get a Black Bond before a Black Superman, but I also think we're sadly a long way away from either.

ETA: My vote for current Black actor to play Superman: Aldis Hodge, who plays Jim Brown in One Night in Miami, and played Elizabeth Moss's cop friend in Invisible Man. Dude has charisma for fucking miles, a great physique (including height) and seems to be able to exude the basic decency and good character needed for the role.

I don't know if that's true. The TV side of things has leaned into it pretty good.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(02-27-2021, 12:11 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Do we really want "sharp cultural commentary" in a Superman movie in the first place?  I sure as hell don't, and also don't appreciate the implication that it puts me in the particular category Michael described.

I mean, any good story has at minimum some sort of commentary.  Doesn't mean it can't be mangled or badly delivered though.
I subscribe to the Donner/Mankiewicz Rule: the cinematic Superman should not be involved in solving or addressing real world “issues.”

We've seen what happens (QUEST FOR PEACE/Superman taking down full-blown terrorists in BVS) when this rule is ignored, and it's not good.

(02-27-2021, 01:48 PM)mondguy Wrote: I mean, any good story has at minimum some sort of commentary. 

I'm not sure I agree with that. Though our definitions of "commentary" might be different.
Sharp cultural commentary has no place in a Superman story!!!

[Image: DGAc5S-XUAA79nC?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: pbasm5fdbaa31.jpg]
[Image: unsafemineaction.jpg]
[Image: hitler-superman.jpg]
(02-27-2021, 02:04 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I subscribe to the Donner/Mankiewicz Rule: the cinematic Superman should not be involved in solving or addressing real world “issues.”

We've seen what happens (QUEST FOR PEACE/Superman taking down full-blown terrorists in BVS) when this rule is ignored, and it's not good.

Objection: "Quest for Peace" is in no way 'sharp'.