Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Semi-Official Ultra HD 4K Thread
So, there are 4K releases of Demons 1 and 2? I've perused some reviews but none were very informative. Anyone have these? Seen them? Are they worth the stupid amount of money I'm most definitely *fingers crossed* not going to pay for them on FeeBay?

I have the limited Demons 1 and 2 4K set that is now sold out. The films look great, and get my full recommendation.

The standard 4K releases will be coming out soon from Arrow. I would recommend purchasing them directly from Arrow’s website - which is customs-friendly.

Synapse will be releasing a 4K set here in the US in the future, but it could take a year or longer for them to be released.
PSN Handle: chetripley80
Oops. Thinking of picking up the ALIEN 4K at a reduced price, about 15 quid. Worth it? Some of the reviews mention excessive grain.

I've just bought a 49" LG 4K TV. I've already bought popular 4K discs such as BLADE RUNNER and PREDATOR. Can't really justify buying STAR WARS when it's in 4K on Disney+.
"I don't do tag-teams with blood relatives". Kenny Powers.
I like it and think it's worth the purchase.

And I agree with you on the SW films. When all of that is streaming on a service I'm paying for, why buy 'em.
'make sure you pay attention to the awesome suits' - Nooj on UNDERWATER
Well, some people swear they can definitely see (and hear) the difference. Apparently blacks look better and there's a big difference in the sound. But my internet is 50mbs so I should be fine. Haven't had time to set it up yet. Gonna check out BR,
PLANET EARTH 2 and the iTunes 4K of HEAT...
ALIEN 4K is worth it

grain is good!
(06-15-2021, 10:58 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I just watched the opening sequence of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK in 4K.

Good GOD.

Just wait until you get to 'Last Crusade'
I thought Temple of Doom might've took the top spot. That motherfucker POPS..

(06-22-2021, 03:51 PM)Nooj Wrote: ALIEN 4K is worth it

grain is good!

I'm waiting for the full set, whenever they get around to making it. Some scenes have bad DNR on the Alien 3 and Resurrection blurays.
(06-22-2021, 01:17 PM)bluelouboyle Wrote: I've just bought a 49" LG 4K TV. I've already bought popular 4K discs such as BLADE RUNNER and PREDATOR. Can't really justify buying STAR WARS when it's in 4K on Disney+.

Alien is great in UHD.

Not that I'm advocating buying another copy of Star Wars, but just remember 4k on streaming doesn't even come close to the bit rate of 1080P Bluray. The compression artifacts are real. You'll get a lot of crush on solid colors especially blacks. In some cases you're better off watching the Bluray than you are with 4k streaming. 4k bitrates vary from 8Mb to 16Mb depending on the service, but Bluray is a solid 40Mb for 1080p.
"I'll live to see you eat that contract, but I hope you leave enough room for my fist because I'm going to ram it into your stomach and break your god-damn spine!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Running Man.

PSN and Steam gamer tag: rockbollocks

Blizzard ID: Rockbollocks#11635
Thanks. I just thought that on a 49" TV, which isn't that big these days, you might not see much difference.
(06-23-2021, 01:02 PM)bluelouboyle Wrote: Thanks.  I just thought that on a 49" TV, which isn't that big these days, you might not see much difference.

The best time to buy a new, larger television is today.

Hold on to yer butts..

The Thing on September 7th..

I would wait for reviews with that one. That is coming directly from Universal, not Arrow. DNR and different color timing may occur.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Supposedly Universal has been doing better as of late. And this is one that it'd be in their best interest to not screw up..

ZS's JUSTICE LEAGUE in 4K in September.

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/14...1172158488
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
It's about damn time. I was just about to pull the trigger on ScalpBay..

(06-22-2021, 07:18 PM)mondguy Wrote:
(06-15-2021, 10:58 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I just watched the opening sequence of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK in 4K.

Good GOD.

Just wait until you get to 'Last Crusade'

Yep, it looked GREAT.  TOD is next.
'make sure you pay attention to the awesome suits' - Nooj on UNDERWATER
I’m glad everyone’s enjoying the Indy movies. I, however, have acquired a copy of the Brendan Fraser Mummy films in 4K. I haven’t watched any of them yet, but it does have the distinction of having the worst packaging I’ve ever seen. The only way to get a disc out is to yank it with your thumb and forefinger on either side. A real snide middle finger of a disc container.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
You just got bum cases. I've never had that happen and I have those as well. Unless it's a damn steelbook..

(06-25-2021, 08:12 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: I’m glad everyone’s enjoying the Indy movies. I, however, have acquired a copy of the Brendan Fraser Mummy films in 4K. I haven’t watched any of them yet, but it does have the distinction of having the worst packaging I’ve ever seen. The only way to get a disc out is to yank it with your thumb and forefinger on either side. A real snide middle finger of a disc container.

Well the first Mummy is one of the first 3 UHDs that I got. I didn't like the other 3. Anyway it's a night and day difference.

Also Children of the Corn is coming to 4K.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Zack Snyder Justice League is coming to 4k disc in the US on September 7th.
From Dusk till Dawn (via Paramount) October 26th. That's a good one!

Nice. From before Rodriquez got into proto-HD filming in the 2000s.
I can't decide if it or Desperado is my favorite Robert Rodriguez film. Oddly, I dislike a lot of his other films. I fucking hate Once Upon a Time in Mexico. It's godawful. And Sin City is overrated as hell. But From Dusk till Dawn is amazing. I prefer it to any Evil Dead movie. Honestly, I think it's good enough to pass as one of Tarantino's films..

Tremors 4K down to $24.99 finally on Amazon.
50% off sale for Arrow and Criterion titles at Barnes & Noble.

The real ending to Big...
Halloween 1-5 being released By Shout on UHD in September.
Yeeeeeessssssssss! 

At least for II and III. How much better or different could their original Halloween be? I'm surprised they bothered..

Well there was a minor problem with the aspect ratio of the transfer and the original audio was missing. Im betting they at least fix the audio.

Apparently Curse, H20, Resurrection and the Zombie aren't under them anymore so no UHD for them.
How bad was the Halloween 4K in your opinion then? How bad were these problems and what was the nature of the issues exactly? It got a stellar review from BR.com and I didn't see any mention of the problems..

The aspect ratio was a little bit tighter past a certain point in the film. Either way it's getting a brand new scan from the original camera negative. Here is the official announcement.

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=28852
Well shit. My OCD is telling me to do it..

Star Trek: The Motion Picture 
The Wrath of Khan 
Search for Spock 
Voyage Home

...in September.

Undiscovered Country and First Contact would be nice as well but I'll take it..

Oooooohhhh FUCK yes. True art and my favorite film in the best possible format. Day one..