Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Semi-Official Heavy Metal Thread
I really like that!

That song is so damn fun. Really love that riff and solo midway through.
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
Not sure if this has gotten much attention, but I saw one of the first ever screenings for this when it premiered in Chicago awhile back.  It's pretty great, directed by Jim Nash's (co-owner of Wax Trax!) daughter.  For a first-time (and probably only time) director, it is extremely well put together and slick looking, as far as music documentaries go.  If you are fan of industrial music, it's definitely worth checking out.  They are currently taking it around to festivals so it may be possible to see this on the big screen (again) at some point.  No word on a physical release, but it's so good I can't see it not getting released at some point.

New Lizzy Borden CD this August.
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/lzzy-bo...in-august/
While he did rock the hair metal look in the 80s, the music was always more power metal than glam rock.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
Sleep dropped a surprise album today for 4/20 I guess. It's really good.

https://thirdmanrecords.com/news/sleep-r...ince-1998/
"Smell Sign."
Yob's Michael Scheidt had two serious, diverticulitis-related issues that almost killed him:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu...um-w519230

Quote:Scheidt's immersive doom metal trio, Yob, had been at home in Eugene, Oregon, for about a month, resting after a brief tour with their spiritual antecedents, Neurosis. The time off was good for Scheidt: After a lifetime of struggles with depression, a regimen of exercise, diet and medication had made him feel "better than I had felt in a long time," he remembers. 

But Scheidt had also been battling diverticulitis, a painful and potentially fatal abdominal disease in which tiny pockets of the colon become infected and sometimes rupture, dumping bacteria onto nearby organs. That's what happened in January in the middle of his neighborhood grocer. Doubled over in pain, Scheidt raced to the emergency room, where he underwent the first in a series of surgeries that saved his life. A subsequent MRSA infection almost killed him again.

During the next six months, the infection faded and the incisions healed. At home in bed, Scheidt feverishly wrote new music, hoping to capture as many ideas as possible in case he didn't fully recover. For Scheidt, Yob has long been an outlet of emotional and mental turmoil, a platform for exposing his demons to the light of day. On 2014's elegant and glacial Clearing the Path to Ascend, for instance, Scheidt addressed his depression, chronicling its despondent nadirs and his attempts to crawl from them. 
This is what Pittsburgh's Icarus Witch have been up to. They call there style traditional heavy metal. If you like Maiden, Priest and Dio, there is a good chance you'll like these dudes. There from my neck of the woods, so I'm more than happy to post there new material here.

Knac story on what they have been up to.
http://knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=27937

KNAC's like to the video for Gooddbye Cruel World. Its heavy but still has a strong melody.
http://www.knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=27936
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
The new Ghost track, "Dance Macabre," has hit and it's great:

Clutch is back:

(05-18-2018, 01:19 AM)Iron Maiden Wrote: The new Ghost track, "Dance Macabre," has hit and it's great:

I am loving what they are doing with this album.

"Dance Macabre" sounds a lot like something Blue Oyster Cult would've conjured up around the Fire of Unknown Origin era, and I can't think of too many greater compliments.

The new Amorphis record Queen of Time dropped today. I can’t say enough about how this band is quietly pushing the boundaries between rock, metal and psychedelia.
Tom Selleck is like a mustache decided to grow a person. His 'stache is almost TOO magnificent. It's the Luke looking at the twin sunsets or the Ennio Morricone score for The Good, The Bad and The Ugly of mustaches. It should be inside a yellow oval on his chest. - Fraid
My year of Doom continues, week by week:

1. Neurosis - Times of Grace
2. Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
3. Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
4. Saint Vitus - Born Too Late
5. Khemmis - Above The Water
6. Sleep - Holy Mountain
7. Elder - Reflections Of A Floating World
8. Trouble - Psalm 9
9. My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans
10. Orange Goblin - Time Travelling Blues
11. Pallbearer - Foundations Of Burden
12. Cathedrel - The Carnivale Bizarre (replaced Forest Of Equilibrium)
13. Witchfinder General - Death Penalty
14. SubRosa - More Constant Than The Gods
15. Boris - Dear
16. Melvins - Houdini
17. Pentagram - Relentless
18. Yob - Atma
19. Warning - Watching From A Distance
20. Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses
21. Dreadnought - Bridging Realms
PSN: Kriegaffe
This year I will have gone to more concerts than I think I have in the past 10 years combined. It's a crazy year for music tours.

Weird Al
BabyMetal
Foreigner/Whitesnake/Led Zeppelin tribute with Jason Bonham
Slayer

and I'm skipping stuff like Def Leppard/Journey, Poison, Five Finger Death Punch, Steel Panther, and Rob Zombie/Marilyn Manson just because either I can't fit them in my schedule or I've already spent too much money. Lol.
(05-20-2018, 06:11 AM)kriegaffe Wrote: My year of Doom continues, week by week:

1. Neurosis - Times of Grace
2. Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
3. Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
4. Saint Vitus - Born Too Late
5. Khemmis - Above The Water
6. Sleep - Holy Mountain
7. Elder - Reflections Of A Floating World
8. Trouble - Psalm 9
9. My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans
10. Orange Goblin - Time Travelling Blues
11. Pallbearer - Foundations Of Burden
12. Cathedrel - The Carnivale Bizarre (replaced Forest Of Equilibrium)
13. Witchfinder General - Death Penalty
14. SubRosa - More Constant Than The Gods
15. Boris - Dear
16. Melvins - Houdini
17. Pentagram - Relentless
18. Yob - Atma
19. Warning - Watching From A Distance
20. Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses
21. Dreadnought - Bridging Realms

Any particular favourites or dislikes from this list? I'm ashamed to say there are a bunch of these I've never heard.

I'm seeing Sleep live for the first time tomorrow. Psyched!
(05-25-2018, 10:27 AM)Shreds Wrote: Any particular favourites or dislikes from this list? I'm ashamed to say there are a bunch of these I've never heard.

I'm seeing Sleep live for the first time tomorrow. Psyched!

It kind of depends. My rule is the wikipedia page needs to describe the album as Doom, Sludge or Stoner. Some of those bands are quite 'light' for a Doom album (i.e. Elder, Dreadnought) while others have a good dose of rock'n'roll (i.e. Orange Goblin). So even within a specific Metal sub-genre there's a quite a lot of variation.

Anyways, the 3 that most blew my mind would be:
1. Subrosa for the female vocals, violins and overall drama
2. Khemmis for being a solid modern doom D&D band
3. Trouble cause I hadn't heard them before and of all the Sabbath-like bands in the 80s, I'm liking them best.
Iron Maiden kicked off its new tour in Estonia tonight, and the setlist is making me very happy:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/iron-maid...d2020.html

No U.S. dates until next year, sadly.  For those in Europe going to the shows, enjoy!
Anal Cunt’s guitarist dead after fall from escalator.

http://www.wpri.com/news/local-news/prov...1205599899

Hooray I just got my digital download of Ghost's new album in my e-mail. Can't wait to give this a listen!

Debated posting this here since opinion on how metal (or "of metal") they are varies wildly, but this preview of the new forthcoming concept album is a fucking killer and I'll have none of your contrary views!

Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
Fits here too!

If you're a Dio fan, you'll have a blast at a Last in Line show.
I should mention I got to see Cradle Of Filth live a couple of weeks ago. It was great! I'm only really a fan of their earlier stuff + the last two albums. However, they put on a great show in a relatively small venue in Canberra.
Their last two albums are SO GOOD.

I bet that was a great show.

A friend of mine saw them live a couple months ago and said it was the best he'd ever seen them. Having a steady lineup really seems to have upped their game.

Also Sleep are awesome live. Sound was great. Band played very well.
I'm digging Gruesome lately.  They're a retro death metal band with a particular interest in the late 80s/early 90s (even down to the artwork!).  

If you like them you’ll love Toxic Holocaust.
Tom Selleck is like a mustache decided to grow a person. His 'stache is almost TOO magnificent. It's the Luke looking at the twin sunsets or the Ennio Morricone score for The Good, The Bad and The Ugly of mustaches. It should be inside a yellow oval on his chest. - Fraid
They have a particular interest in sounding exactly like Death.

Yeah, retro metal adds nothing new to the table (with some exceptions).  If you like the sound, you'll have fun with it, but very little of it is going to be making top ten lists at the end of the year.

And Toxic Holocaust is fun.  I got to see them live about a decade ago opening for Danzig.
I didn't mean it as a put down at all. I saw Death To All with Matt Harvey on vocals and the loved them. Gruesome is a direct continuation of that tribute to Death, with full support of Chuck Schuldiner's relatives. It just seems weird to me to mention Gruesome and not mention the band that they themselves would immediately admit is the direct inspiration for their style.

I'm very curious to see if Gruesome will make the same technical leap forward Death made after their first three albums or if they'll stick to the old school style they've shown so far.
Enjoy, and watch it until the end.  This'll put a smile on your face.

Been really digging the new Parkway Drive:

"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
That new Parkway Drive album is a pretty good hard rock album.

And did anyone else see Ghost's Prequelle landed a top 3 debut. Amazing.

The new Orange Goblin, The Wolf Bites Back is very good again too. Really want to see them live again. They've got a great frontman.