Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Semi-Official Heavy Metal Thread
Opeth is releasing a new live album in November.  Say what you will about the band's recent material (I like the last few albums, but don't love them), but they still sound great live:

Seeing a show at the Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Denver is a goal of mine.

RIP Jill Janus of Huntress. Depression can fuck right off.
“I feel a connection with you. A man connection. A mannection.”
I went to see the opening date on Metallica's World-wired Tour. I haven't seen the boys for a couple decades (!) but my impressions:

- they have Jim Breuer opening; they're performing in the round, so another band playing is out of the question. I thought it was going to be standup, but it's Breuer going out and doing audience participation and trivia and shit, and it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. Skip it, if possible. It went over like a fart in church in Madison, so maybe they'll just switch it up to him doing stand-up.

- they played quite a few of the new songs with a good mix of the old one. Aside from the fact the mix sounded like mud, the set list was solid.

- Lars was living up to his rep as "not the world's greatest drummer" - band fell apart more than a few times.

- the stage show was great; there was one bit that everyone in my group but me HATED, but it was something I'd never have expected Metallica to do, so I was all for it

- also, Kirk and Rob jammed on a "local song"; since this was Madison, it was a rendition of Garbage's "Stupid Girl" and it was awesome, but the audience was meh on it because people fucking suck. I HOPE they keep doing this and other audiences respond more favourably.

- the stage was unusual, and they did some really cool and different shit (I don't want to spoil anything).

- big minus is that Hetfield comes across as your uncle who used to be awesome but sobered up and found God, so good on him for that but you wouldn't want him to corner you at Thanksgiving.

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
(09-04-2018, 11:46 PM)chavez Wrote: - they have Jim Breuer opening; they're performing in the round, so another band playing is out of the question. I thought it was going to be standup, but it's Breuer going out and doing audience participation and trivia and shit, and it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. Skip it, if possible. It went over like a fart in church in Madison, so maybe they'll just switch it up to him doing stand-up.

- they played quite a few of the new songs with a good mix of the old one. Aside from the fact the mix sounded like mud, the set list was solid.

- Lars was living up to his rep as "not the world's greatest drummer" - band fell apart more than a few times.

- big minus is that Hetfield comes across as your uncle who used to be awesome but sobered up and found God, so good on him for that but you wouldn't want him to corner you at Thanksgiving.

So this is what I have to look forward to in five months? Terrific.
“That which doesn't kill you wasn't done right.”—Khaya Dlanga
Eh, first show, they should iron shit out within a month, much less five.

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
(09-05-2018, 12:08 AM)chavez Wrote: Eh, first show, they should iron shit out within a month, much less five.

I don't think Lars will be able to iron out his issues, he's been declining since the early 2000s.  I would like to see them play at least once in my life, but I refuse to pay the obscenely high ticket prices to see a drummer not capable of performing his own songs.
Damn bro, that's a savage dig at Hetfield, haha. I can imagine it being accurate.

That sucks about Lars. No band's sound can withstand a weak drummer. That fucks everyone else up. It's too bad, he's come up with some iconic beats in the past.

My guess for the stage production: they emerge from backstage covered in jizz and blood from the Load/Reload album cover?
You had me at blood and semen.
This Metallica cover of "When Doves Cry" might be the worst thing I've ever heard:

Jesus Christ.
Yeah, that should have stayed in the rehearsal room.

As far as surprising covers that do work live, here's Pentagram performing Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood, which kind of blew me away when I saw them a couple years back.

Bobby's vocals were a little better in my memory though. Wink