Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Semi-Official Heavy Metal Thread
(01-20-2019, 01:20 PM)chavez Wrote: I think I'm the only one in the Upper Midwest, but I found a Milwaukee-based Metallica tribute that plays from the first 4 albums (-ish; they did play "Last Caress" and "Spit Out the Bone")....they don't dick around with trying to look like Metallica - their lead guitarist looks like Dimebag, their drummer came out wearing an Allmans shirt and looks like he's from Red Fang, their bassist is a chubby bald guy, and if you poke yourself in the eye and squint, maybe the lead singer/rhythm guitarist could pass for latter-day Hetfield - but they sound spot-on.

I know they're playing around southern Wisconsin with a gig in Chicago over the next 6 mos, so if you get the chance check out Master of Puppets.

I haven’t seen them play but I’ll take a shot in the dark and say their drummer is probably more competent than Lars.  I’ve been tempted to see them play live over the past few years,  but I just cannot abide his sloppy play.
The trailer for Lords of Chaos came out this week.
[video=youtube]http://[/video]

The trailer is on the inconsistent side. It starts off as goofy with an annoying little sister, then get dark. I've read the book and the whole thing is dark; to put it mildly.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
(01-21-2019, 08:11 PM)Kevin Macken 2.0 Wrote: I haven’t seen them play but I’ll take a shot in the dark and say their drummer is probably more competent than Lars.  I’ve been tempted to see them play live over the past few years,  but I just cannot abide his sloppy play.

Oh, this band's drummer was stupid good.

I DID see Metallica recently, and while its somewhat an apples/oranges comparison, I enjoyed the tribute act far more.

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
Disappointed to hear the mixed reviews on Metallica's recent live shows. I always wanted to see them live and liked the Youtube concert clips I've seen. Guess you really have to be there in person?

I always loved Metallica, but never sat down to explore the other three bands of the "Big 4". I've been listening to Megadeth and Slayer of late. I'd heard a couple of the hit singles from their classic albums like Reign in Blood and Rust in Peace of course, yet this was my first time really going through their catalogues. Really digging South of Heaven, Seasons in the Abyss, Peace Sells..., Countdown to Extinction and those two prior albums.

Anthrax are probably my least fave. I respect them for their long career, branching out with their sound (like collaborating with Public Enemy) plus Scott Ian seems like a cool dude, but for me, they don't have as many killer songs like the others do.
Have you listened to Persistence of Time and Among the Living by Anthrax? Those are their strongest albums, in my view. Give them a shot if you haven’t already.
I didn't. I only heard a couple of songs from them, but I will check out the complete albums. Thanks for the recommendations!
Megadeth has some real clunkers in their catalogue but Peace Sells..., Rust in Peace and Countdown are classics.

They also have put out the best post 2000 stuff, maybe just because they are more prolific than Metallica. The World Needs A Hero, The System Has Failed, Endgame, and Dystopia are all very good Megadeth albums.

Supercollider is so bad though.

(01-28-2019, 12:24 PM)ravi Wrote: I didn't. I only heard a couple of songs, but I will check out the full albums. Thanks for the recommendations!

Dont sleep on John Bush-era Anthrax, either - I prefer it to the Belladonna era, and SOUND OF WHITE NOISE and VOLUME 8 are both fucking fantastic (songs to check out - "Only" "Crush" "Inside Out" "Big Fat"")

I prefer Bush as a vocalist but I think I prefer the Belladonna era as a whole, although I do love SOWN and We’ve Come For You All.
(01-28-2019, 12:39 PM)catartik Wrote: Megadeth has some real clunkers in their catalogue but Peace Sells..., Rust in Peace and Countdown are classics.

They also have put out the best post 2000 stuff, maybe just because they are more prolific than Metallica.  The World Needs A Hero, The System Has Failed, Endgame, and Dystopia are all very good Megadeth albums.

Supercollider is so bad though.

Megadeth is funny - for a megalomaniacal asshole, Mustaine never had any problem getting musicians better than him to fill out the band; but they never really string together an entire "must-listen" album (though Rust comes damn close). I still think I prefer 'deth to Metallica.

(01-28-2019, 04:40 PM)Kevin Macken 2.0 Wrote: I prefer Bush as a vocalist but I think I prefer the Belladonna era as a whole, although I do love SOWN and We’ve Come For You All.

I don't think there's anyone on the losing side in that debate - "do you prefer 5 excellent albums with Belladonna*, or 4 excellent albums with Bush?"

* my friend JZ has tried to get me to rethink my opinion on State of Euphoria but IMO it's junk. a C-minus effort from a band who's other weak albums are A-minus stuff

I agree about State of Euphoria. Members of the band have talked about how their record company rushed them to get a new album out before they were ready, and it really shows. It’s mostly filler.
I disliked Bring Me The Horizon's "Amo" at first, but it's been growing one me.

There's a new Canadian band on the scene that plays old school heavy metal called Traveler.  They have an album coming out this month, and the first song released is pretty fun:

I finally got Ghost's Prequelle and it lives up to the hype. Its heavy but still melodic. I love Dance Macabre; it rocks but it would still sound killer in a dance club. It sounds like Bon Jovi from Hell. Life Eternal may be the best power ballad since Novemeber Rain. Even at 3 and half minutes, it still has an epic quality about it. Give me a day or two and I give you my thoughts on their live album Ceremony and Devotion.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
(02-08-2019, 07:21 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: There's a new Canadian band on the scene that plays old school heavy metal called Traveler.  They have an album coming out this month, and the first song released is pretty fun:

I like it. It takes me back to when all I needed to be happy was a Mt Dew and The Headbangers Ball.

Ghost's Ceremony and Devotion CD rocks.
Here’s a terrible ranking of Black Sabbath’s discography. Anyone who thinks Dehumanizer is worse than Forbidden should be prevented from ever writing about music.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/j...y-osbourne
I watched some of Metallica's set at the Chris Cornell tribute concert.

Am I hearing it wrong, or can Lars not play For Whom the Bell Tolls at all? The beat isn't even recognizable.
What was the tribute like? I still ache for the loss of that gent. 

Lars' drumming has been a trope but it's also quite possible that he is bored and trying (badly) to do something fresh with it. 

I heard a Keith Richards anecdote about how he and Watts used to have to shift the beat around to compensate for Jagger who would frequently and inadvertently lose the rhythm because he simply couldn't hear what was going on behind him. That stadium are in time as often as they are is a minor miracle in itself.

(02-23-2019, 06:31 PM)Kevin Macken 2.0 Wrote: Here’s a terrible ranking of Black Sabbath’s discography.  Anyone who thinks Dehumanizer is worse than Forbidden should be prevented from ever writing about music.

*whispers* I quite like Headless Cross (especially the b-side Cloak and Dagger).
There’s no shame in liking Headless Cross! I’m a fan as well.
For me, it's an age thing. Headless Cross was the first Sabbath single I bought, just as I was developing into a mwtal head. Even after discovering their seminal work, it seemed like a natural evolution to me, and I was always more of an Iommi than an Ozzy fan.

Getting into metal in the turn of the 90s makes you more sympathetic to the "wrong turns" a lot of classic metal and hard rock bands took at the time, I think. I rolled with Youthanasia, Load and Balance/VH3 more than my peers who were longer standing fans.
I actually think Youthanasia is one of the best Megadeth albums. It’s not thrash obviously, but their song writing skills were still going strong in 1994. Not so much after that, however.
The System Has Failed and Dystopia are two of Megadeth's best albums and they were both post '00 and '10 respectively.

And Load is such a great album. I listen to it way more than anything released after it. Reload is just awful (except for Fuel and Low Man's Lyric).

(02-23-2019, 06:31 PM)Kevin Macken 2.0 Wrote: Here’s a terrible ranking of Black Sabbath’s discography.  Anyone who thinks Dehumanizer is worse than Forbidden should be prevented from ever writing about music.

Also, Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell should be 1 and 2, respectively.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(02-25-2019, 08:09 PM)MichaelM Wrote:

You’ll get no argument from me.
(02-25-2019, 08:09 PM)MichaelM Wrote:

I agree. Heaven and Hell is my favorite Sabbath song. The inner struggle of good and evil we have in all of us is outstanding material for a metal song. The arrangement is brilliant as well.

I just read the article and I wonder how much the writer knows about Sabbath. He is shocked they recorded a power ballad for Seventh Star. Hasn't he heard Changes from Vol 4? If not he is missing a damn good tune.
(02-25-2019, 04:40 PM)Kevin Macken 2.0 Wrote: I actually think Youthanasia is one of the best Megadeth albums.  It’s not thrash obviously, but their song writing skills were still going strong in 1994.  Not so much after that, however.

(02-25-2019, 04:47 PM)catartik Wrote: The System Has Failed and Dystopia are two of Megadeth's best albums and they were both post '00 and '10 respectively.

And Load is such a great album.  I listen to it way more than anything released after it.  Reload is just awful (except for Fuel and Low Man's Lyric).

Yeah, I stopped listening to Megadeth about the time I left university, some time in 1997/8, so missed out on everything post Cryptic Writings, I think. Metallica still gets my £10 when a new CD comes out. The last one was decent in parts, much like Death Magnetic. 

"Low Man's Lyric" WAS my drunk and emotional song for years. I like Fixxer too.
Hmmm... I only know 4 or 5 albums well.
'Master of Reality', 'Paranoid' and 'Vol 4' are my favourite with 'Heaven and Hell' coming in 4th. So IMO it's not that bad a list.

I kinda quit the boards, came back to bitch about the Hellboy reboot. So while I'm here I'll say I'm listening to the 'Between The Buried And Me' EPs and they seem awesome so far.

\m/
PSN: Kriegaffe
Trailer for the upcoming documentary, Murder in the Front Row: The San Francisco Bay Area Thrash Metal Story.

No word on when it's getting a wide release but it's premiering in San Francisco on April 20th.

“That which doesn't kill you wasn't done right.”—Khaya Dlanga
Looks great, can't wait to check that out.

And Kerry King continues to be a total douchebag.

(03-20-2019, 03:25 PM)catartik Wrote: Looks great, can't wait to check that out.  

And Kerry King continues to be a total douchebag.

When something has been working for you for the past near-40 years, you tend to stick with it.

My thought the new songs on Motley Crue's The Dirt soundtrack.

The Dirt: Its a killer heavy power pop song. The Machine Kelly rap actually works.

Both Ride with the Devil and Crash and Burn are good rock tunes with grooves. Ride with the Devil is the better of the two.

Their cover of Like a Virgin. Its meh. Its how they play the chorus is why it doesn't work for me. I was expecting more of a big arena rock chorus. They should have covered something that was an influence on them like Aerosmith, Cheap Trick or a 70's glam band. I can see them doing Billion Dollar Babies. The drums on that tune would give Lee a lot to work with.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!