Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Normal Life
First things first. Luke Perry is one of the leads of this movie. But his sideburns are trimmed and he has a mustache to ugly himself up. Okay?

Now that that’s out of the way I must say I was captivated by this story of a dysfunctional husband and wife who rekindle their marriage through the art of bank robbery. Perry’s wife is played by Ashley Judd. These days that would be another strike against this film, but this was a pre-KISS THE GIRLS Judd when she was still trying to do whatever she could do get noticed. In this flick that translates to her to either being insane, naked, and often a combination of the two throughout the entire film. She’s wonderful.

Tom Towles has a small role as Luke Perry’s father who is very ill. There’s a scene at a dinner table where Towles just keeps on coughing. Evertime you think he’s going to stop coughing he just starts back up. After a while Ashley Judd decides she can’t take the coughing anymore (remember, she’s nuts) and locks herself in the bathroom while listening to her walkman at full blast.

There are some incredible leaps of logic, mainly involving the bank robberies, but I was able to forgive that because I enjoyed all the other cuckoo stuff going on.

Oh, and Pryzbylewski from “The Wire” co-stars as Perry’s brother.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moltisanti

Luke Perry ...he has a mustache ...a dysfunctional husband and wife who rekindle their marriage through the art of bank robbery. .. .insane, naked, and often a combination of the two throughout the entire film. ..Tom Towles ...incredible leaps of logic,...“The Wire” ...

Queued.
Perry was good in this. This has to be the reason he still gets gigs. Really not such a bad actor. I watched the ending to this a few months ago - which was more brutal and sillier than I remember.

Molti - have you seen the Bruce Campbell/ Lori Laughlin version of the same story? In the Line of Duty: Blaze of Glory. Rent it!
I'm pretty sure Ashley Judd is at her hottest in this movie. "Normal Life"- the pinnacle of Judd hottness.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Matchstick

Molti - have you seen the Bruce Campbell/ Lori Laughlin version of the same story? In the Line of Duty: Blaze of Glory. Rent it!

Sounds like one I'd enjoy. I recall another "In the Line of Duty" bank robbery film from the 80's where David Soul and the Dad from "Family Ties" go on a bloody robbery spree with Ronny Cox and Bruce Greenwood hot on their trail. Wish that one would hit cable.

Perry was good in NORMAL LIFE. Things get a bit absurd toward the end, especially a key scene in an elevator, but I don't blame him for that. His disguise during the robberies was sort of lame. Just a big fake Hasidic-like beard.
Quote:

I'm pretty sure Ashley Judd is at her hottest in this movie. "Normal Life"- the pinnacle of Judd hottness.

Ruby in Paradise was Ashley at her hottest, although she still looks pretty damn good to me.

If you want an Ashley-Naked-and-Crazy film festival, you can add Norma Jean & Marilyn, Eye of the Beholder and Bug to the list. In fact, Beholder is one of my favorite bad movies of the 90's. Just wacko from start to finish.
I don't know, there's a scene in NORMAL LIFE where Judd is cutting on herself. I know cutting on yourself isn't supposed to be hot but damned if this wasn't some hot as balls self-mutilation going down.
Quote:

Originally Posted by KABONG

I feel a bit nerd-pervy, but I always thought she was hottest as Ensign Robin Lefler on ST:TNG. Not that she doesn't always look damn fine.

Normal Life was a decent flick, and my subsequent marriage (now thankfully dissolved) to an insane chick adds a touch o' resonance. It sparked my interest in tanto knives ("You can stab through a car door"Wink, so that's something positive. I can't fault Judd for running into her room when the dad keeps coughing, that shit would drive me nuts too. It just sounded so wet.
Quote:

Originally Posted by nekkerbee

It sparked my interest in tanto knives ("You can stab through a car door"Wink, so that's something positive.

Who says you can't learn anything from the movies?
Just a heads up, it's playing on one of the HBO channels a couple times in the next several days.
AJudd's notable debut film, Ruby in Paradise, is on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-S0VjuN4Oc