Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Memories of Murder (2003)
#1
Holy shit. This. Was. Awesome.

I'd heard it described by Andre as "the ultimate serial killer film," and it didn't disappoint. Everything worked for me -- the story, the cinematography, the awesome score, and the two lead performances -- and I just remain in awe of it.

Shit. Got to buy this one soon.
Reply
#2
I liked this one too, but I think the next time I see it I'll end up loving it.

The tonal shifts caught me off guard early on but I got used to them and ended up liking them.

I actually think this is better than The Host.
Reply
#3
I like this better than Zodiac.

funny, sad, suspensful and engrossing at the same time.

Bong Yun Hoo is the talent to watch in cinema today.
Reply
#4
Quote:

Originally Posted by santi-freak

Bong Yun Hoo is the talent to watch in cinema today.

Bong Joon-Ho's not too shabby either.
Reply
#5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Shaver

I liked this one too, but I think the next time I see it I'll end up loving it.

The tonal shifts caught me off guard early on but I got used to them and ended up liking them.

I actually think this is better than The Host.

It was MUCH better than The Host.
Reply
#6
Love, love, love, this film to bits. It's one of the most engrossing police procedurals I've ever seen and the cinematography is just incredible. It's an insanely beautiful movie about a raw and brutal subject matter but the two never conflict. Even when the film is detailing the meathead police at their worst it retains this unique painterly feel which is just incredible to look at.

The last five minutes is pitch perfect as well, so much said with so few words.
Reply
#7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Marshall

Love, love, love, this film to bits. It's one of the most engrossing police procedurals I've ever seen and the cinematography is just incredible. It's an insanely beautiful movie about a raw and brutal subject matter but the two never conflict. Even when the film is detailing the meathead police at their worst it retains this unique painterly feel which is just incredible to look at.

That shot early in the film that cranes above the kid's head to a wide shot of the wheat fields... the music kicks in along with the title. Wow.

Talking about this film makes me wanna go buy some 'Nice' shoes.
Reply
#8
I love that last line of dialogue.

"He looked, kinda plain"

And the look on the Detectives face pretty much tells you what the entire film is about. Up until that point the film is grappling with the idea of instinct against intellect, with the two officers adopting each others ideology the more they spend time with each other. That final line is essentially instinct having the rug pulled out from underneath it, the idea that a serial killer could look plain is so devastating to the man who has spent his career arresting people based on suspicion and instinct.
Reply
#9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Marshall

I love that last line of dialogue.

"He looked, kinda plain"

And the look on the Detectives face pretty much tells you what the entire film is about. Up until that point the film is grappling with the idea of instinct against intellect, with the two officers adopting each others ideology the more they spend time with each other. That final line is essentially instinct having the rug pulled out from underneath it, the idea that a serial killer could look plain is so devastating to the man who has spent his career arresting people based on suspicion and instinct.

Song Kang Ho is simply one of Korea's greatest actors. I'd actually say that he IS the best, but then Choi Min Sik might bludgeon me to death with a hammer.
Reply
#10
I've loved Song Kang-Ho ever since I saw him in Mr. Vengeance. The entire concept of that film rests firmly on his ability as an actor and he does it a little too well. His grief and hurt are so raw in that film that you find yourself gravitating towards him as a Bronsonesque anti-hero rather than the broken man the director intended. There's something deep and twisted and wrong about the character for most of the run time, but Kang-Ho brings out a level of humanity which few could match.
Reply
#11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Marshall

I've loved Song Kang-Ho ever since I saw him in Mr. Vengeance. The entire concept of that film rests firmly on his ability as an actor and he does it a little too well. His grief and hurt are so raw in that film that you find yourself gravitating towards him as a Bronsonesque anti-hero rather than the broken man the director intended. There's something deep and twisted and wrong about the character for most of the run time, but Kang-Ho brings out a level of humanity which few could match.

The range of ages the man can convey is amazing. In Mr. Vengeance he looks like he's in his late 30s, in JSA and Memories of Murder in his late 40s. He's depressingly cold and serious in one movie or a goofy country bumpkin in the next.

His weight fluctuates subtly to do this without calling 'Oscar-worthy' attention to itself. That bit of weight really changes the tone of his performances. I want to turn on Memories of Murder now.
Reply
#12

Reply
#13

It looks like this has been restored and re-released - https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/08/15/nobodys-innocent-and-everybodys-a-victim-bong-joon-hos-memories-of-murder-returns/



Future Criterion maybe?

Reply
#14

GASP!



I hope it gets some kind of limited theatrical release in various markets!



I'd LOVE to be able to see this in a theater.

Reply
#15
AThis thread reminded me to order the bluray for the movie off eBay.

As far as I know, there's no bluray release of the film in the states.

I've had original Korean DVD of the movie since it came out.
Reply
#16
SPOILERS















So, it looks like they may have just found the guy.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20190918000889
“That which doesn't kill you wasn't done right.”—Khaya Dlanga
Reply
#17
I don't know who's having a greater year. Keanu Reeves or Bong Jun-Ho.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
Reply
#18
Thread started by Rathbandu!!!! Miss that guy.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Reply
#19
Crap, I saw Isao already posted this in the Asian Cinema thread. Sorry.

http://citizens.trouble.city/showthread....pid4639504
“That which doesn't kill you wasn't done right.”—Khaya Dlanga
Reply
#20
Michael, never apologize for reminding people that MEMORIES OF MURDER is a greaaaaat movie!
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)