Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just One of the Guys (1985)
Taking a cue from Ripoli's BETTER OFF DEAD thread, here's another 80's flick of which I received a steady diet as a young pup.

I won't argue it's any kind of underrated classic, because it ain't. There's no deep meaning or any great insight into the teenage mind. And though there's surprising raunch for PG-13, there's no R-rated hijinks. Joyce Hyser couldn't act her way out of a bedpan, and it's fascinating to watch how she's so much better as a boy than she is as a girl. Clayton Rohner's bland and can't pronounce Cyndi Lauper's name. The plot's recycled from any number of better movies and sitcoms.

But I'll be damned if this thing doesn't entertain me from start to finish. Mostly it's in the little details:

- Billy Jacoby, the king of the Jacoby acting dynasty, as Buddy. Too many good lines to reprint, but "Hey yo scumbag...Hey suck your own!...Eat me...Same to you buttface...Mom says hi" just kills me.

- Arye Gross and the other guy as the Star Trek nerds.

- The PE teacher. "Severe intestinal disorder? You got a little tummy ache? What are you, a pussy?"

- I'll admit it, Zabka as Greg Toland, meathead supreme. In BACK TO SCHOOL he's a non-entity, but here he's actually pretty funny. I have a feeling that if I hadn't been so heavy in high school, I would've gotten pussy tossed for distance.

- "Wait a minute, are those what I think they are?" Yeah.
Mmmmmmmmmmm, tits.
I just remember being a kid, seeing this on HBO, and my jaw dropping when she showed off her tits.

1. Being a kid, I wasn't sure if she was really a guy or not, let alone not having seen breasts before.

2. They were alot bigger than they looked the entire movie.

Y'know, maybe this was my first set of chesticles. Ah, nostalgia.
I forgot Zabka was in this. But how can you say he was a non-entity in Back to School? Without Zabka's foot cramp, we wouldn't have the Triple Lindy.
Holy shit she's 50!!! Damm, i remember watching this movie as a kid as well. I thought she was cute, but she didn't age very well.
That girl who pretended she was a guy was SO HOTTTTT!@@!! I still get wood thinking about it. There's no way she could realistically pretend to be a guy without BOYS DON'T CRY 2.
"Wait a minute, are those what I think they are?" Yeah.

EDIT: NSFW
I never could get into this movie for the simple fact that I hated the shit out of her brother in the film. Just fucking annoying on every cosmic level. And the fact that he bags Sherilyn Fenn makes it an affront against God.
"Want some company?"
"Bowling, uh, great game."
"The greatest. But it's not just a game. It's the ultimate test. One man. One ball. Ten pins."
"Ten frames too."
"EXACTLY."
This was the most confusing line for me when I watched this on cable. After the big reveal, they come out of the brush and share a passionate kiss in the middle of the dance and everyone freaks out because they think two guys are getting fresh with each other at the prom. Then he utters the line and everyone is okay with it. So, at this high school, I guess being bi-curious is okay as long as the other person is a hermaphrodite or a really fat guy?
Quote:

This was the most confusing line for me when I watched this on cable. After the big reveal, they come out of the brush and share a passionate kiss in the middle of the dance and everyone freaks out because they think two guys are getting fresh with each other at the prom. Then he utters the line and everyone is okay with it. So, at this high school, I guess being bi-curious is okay as long as the other person is a hermaphrodite or a really fat guy?

You know it, motherfucker!
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKMITE8

"Wait a minute, are those what I think they are?" Yeah.

EDIT: NSFW

Why the hell are her tits so low on her chest?

By the way, nice tits.
A
Quote:Gottlieb says that the producers were so pleased, they tried to get Sherilyn Fenn to take her shirt off too, in the scene in which she's waiting in Buddy's room. But Gottlieb refused to ask Fenn to do it, because she said it didn't make sense in the story. She also says she was responsible for Fenn's character never being punished for her assertive sexuality, as so many 80s teen characters were.

"I wanted sex to be nonjudgmental and routine and accepted," Gottlieb says. "Like kids that age at that particular time. Honey, they were busy. They were way fucking busy."

http://jezebel.com/5524051/chatting-with...s-director