Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chewer Anthology Series: Interest/Sign-Up
I have no problem taking the reins on this in terms of coordination, posting, setting up the blog, and editing, but I'd want there to be genuine interest and participation before doing all that. Meaning that people not only contribute stories, but discuss them as well.

Anyone can contribute, obviously, but I'd like to gauge interest here.

So, post your name and what kind of stories you usually like to read and write, and if you'd be interested in helping out edit the stories as well. More guidelines, et al, to come.
See my name above.

I read and write pretty much any genre, though I tend towards humor and sci-fi/fantasy in both.

And I'd be willing to help out with the editing too.
Name: Daniel Roche

Stories I like to read/write: When it comes to reading fiction, my favorite three time periods seem to be nineteenth century English literature, The Lost Generation, and The Beat Generation. I'm also partial to hardboiled detective stories. I like to write stories dealing with the larger questions in life while immersing you in a world not your own (two of my favorite books of all time are Moby Dick and The Scarlet Letter for this reason).

Interest in editing: I'd be willing to do it and I did earn a grade of A in an advanced composition course, if that adds credit to my cause.
Brian Collins here.

I had a horror/isolation story I was going to send in, but my life has diverged the past couple of years.

If this thing gets some steam behind it, I will probably drop my name in the hat.
Huh, my college room-mate's friend was named Brian Collins. That'd be really odd if we knew one another.

I write a lot of things, but tend to skew towards sci-fi (not like spaceship stuff, but like time travel and science gone wrong type things). Been known to spin a good western and can make a person cry on occasion with some straight up dramas. Always willing to try out new things, so I'm open!

Oh, Steve B here, and I'll help with the editing!
Spike Marshall

Noir, Horror and Fantasy. Done a few short stories, was thinking of submitting a short story I've been working on for a while about revenge. No official writing experience, but I tend to write a lot just for the hell of it.
Also, in terms of intial topics, I'm thinking we should go with a general genre-with-a-twist type prompt before attempting something interconnected. See how the response is for individual stories before having people make the effort on something a little more complicated. That's me, though.
Andrew Eaton

Same as Spike, but really just anything fiction. Only formal experience is writing for a college newspaper, so it's a hobby more than anything.
Ben Burguess

Of course I'm interested in helping, or at least contributing.

I like to read many different genres but I haven't been too interested in anything fantasy in years. I'm alot more sci-fi than fantasy. What I really like is sci-fi where everything is realistic except for that one little detail, that one little suspension of disbelief that makes it all possible. I generally like fiction. I read alot of mysteries and detective novels too. Also humorous stories.

As for writing, there's the usual short stories, poetry, and stuff. Then I wrote and drew this comic book for a few years which was a silly superhero series thing and I wrote a series of stories called The Panda Chronicles. I even had a site for it. It was...absurdly eclectic, and about Star Wars.
I'm ready to do this.

Horror, Comedy, Crime or Erotic memoirs are all my cup of tea.

Lets do some VC Andrews Fanfic.

Anybody?
I'd contribute a story, but none of this "you write a chapter, I write a chapter, he writes a chapter" silliness.
I'm certainly interested, but I'm going to be away from the internet for a month or so.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Ripoll

I'd contribute a story, but none of this "you write a chapter, I write a chapter, he writes a chapter" silliness.

I'm with Patrick, I'd love to see Chudstories return but I don't have any interest in a continuation thingy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Ripoll

In the related thread, we talked about loosely connecting them with a framing device. Like a city, the last scene segueing into next story, or they all feature talking squirrels. Okay, so the last one's not real, but I trust Rath will pick something or just leave it up to the first writer. I think initially we all were pondering how we could have the stories be congruent, but it's not specifically important to the stories themselves.
How I think it's going to work for the first couple of prompts is generalized topics with a deadline. Then, every day, a different story on the blog, for however many stories there are.

If there's still interest after those, then we can try something where all the stories are connected, but I'm thinking it'll be more along the lines of a Short Cuts or a Magnolia-type thing than anything else. The lack of a unified voice is both the biggest challenge and, possibly, the biggest blessing of that type of project.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Eaton

In the related thread, we talked about loosely connecting them with a framing device. Like a city, the last scene segueing into next story, or they all feature talking squirrels. Okay, so the last one's not real, but I trust Rath will pick something or just leave it up to the first writer. I think initially we all were pondering how we could have the stories be congruent, but it's not specifically important to the stories themselves.

The problem with that is you have to wait for the last person's story to be finished edited and published before the next person can even begin writing. whoever's last in line is probably going to have to wait a good six months before they get to contribute. Maybe it could work as a secondary sort of side project, but not as the only thing going.
You're right. I think the city thing could still work though. Not necessarily a city, but just common ground for a setting that everyone is at least familiar with. A night in New York as I mentioned earlier.

As for a segue, the last scene from the first story could work. Of course, that puts the second writer at a disadvantage, but yeah, that's extra work. Doing the last scene from each preceding story would be IMPOSSIBLE. I wouldn't dare suggest that.

Just clarifying. In the end, I trust Rath - he's got his stuff together. Now let's just hope more folks sign up.
I'd be down to contribute, under the name S.M. Sudin.
My slant is towards noir, comedy, or historical fiction stories.

Also, my wife recently got me a book called Brooklyn Noir for my birthday, and it's all noir short stories, all tied together by the fact that each story takes place in a different neighborhood of Brooklyn, NY. There's a whole series of these, each taking on different cities worldwide, but I thought it was a pretty cool way of unifying a bunch of very different stories and approaches.