Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chewer Anthology Prompt #1: Merry Little...
The prompt:

Write a story that takes involves a major holiday traditionally taking place between December 1st and January 1st -- Christmas, Hanukkah, New Year's, Ramadan, Kwanzaa, Life Day. The story can be in any genre or style, including poetry.

Guidelines:

1. You should proof-read and spell-check your stories as best as possible before sending them to me, double spaced, in a Word or text document.

2. E-mail all stories to brendan.m.leonard@gmail.com

3. Deadline for the stories is December 22nd, so a little over a week.

I'd like to run these the week between Christmas and New Year's, so the first story should appear on Dec. 25th, when the blog goes live.
Intriguing. I'm not going to get any work done tomorrow....
Awesome. This is just the sort of thing I needed to get me writing again; deadlines, commitments. I've been lazy on account of too much work, too many movies and too many awesome video games.

I look forward to seeing what everyone's come up with!
I was afraid it woud be something like this. Nevertheless, I said I'd do it, so I will do it.

How long were you thinking for something like this?
I don't want people to feel constrained by any set length, but keep in mind these are "short stories" as opposed to "novellas." Let's check the ever-reliable Wikipedia and see what they say!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia

A classic definition of a short story is that one should be able to be read it in one sitting, a point most notably made in Edgar Allan Poe's essay "The Philosophy of Composition" (1846). Other definitions place the maximum word length at 7,500 words. In contemporary usage, the term short story most often refers to a work of fiction no longer than 20,000 words and no shorter than 1,000.

I started mine yesterday and I think I'm going to have to restart somewhere further along in the story since it could get long. I'm not wild about my idea, and I may change it, but like Ripoll said, "I said I'd do it, so I will do it."
Yeah not going to able to get this one done yet. Too much shopping and traveling shit. It sucks though because I really liked the idea I was writing. Meh.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Detonathor

Hopefully it isn't too groan-inducing...

It's cool. Mine blows and I'm really not sure whether I should send in, because I'm a hypocrite and a failure. That should lower expectations.

Edit: I abandoned mine Rath, despite being the one trying to get involved in CHUDStories. It was in the form of a Christmas letter and I had no idea how to end it. Maybe I'll post it standalone in it's own thread if I figure out what to do with it. Sorry guys, but I'll be happy to read all of yours.
I have a great set-up and middle and absolutely no idea where to go with it or how to end it. I've made three separate attempts at an ending and none of them have satisfied.
God dammit, these last two weeks have been absolute hell. Been editing a movie every night, hoping to get it up on my room-mate's and I's website before Christmas. I'm gonna give it my darnedest, but for this, I apologize.

I came away with some great ideas for just stories in general, which is always nice.
I got two stories from this. Are people still working on theirs, or did the Holiday fuck everything up? I have no problem waiting until after the New Year to kick this off, and fold in the two stories I got with the next prompt.
Yeah, my finals ended on the 20th and then--joy of joys--I was sexually harassed by a fellow Amtrak passenger on the way home, which led to that passenger being thrown of the train and yours truly giving a full report to the engineer and then detraining in Redding. So, in my case, the holidays did screw things up. Barring another pairing of a grueling exam schedule and an insane homosexual hobo coming after me, I should handle the next prompt without a problem.