Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Semi Official Blu-Ray Thread
I just snagged the Criterion Age of Innocence thanks to a series of discounts . . . this movie is MAGNIFICENT, and gorgeous to boot. The opening sequence by Elaine and Saul Bass of flowers blooming behind lace is symbolism-tacular.
Where’d you get it from? Been looking for a good deal.
I got it from Barnes and Noble, but I had a pre-existing credit and some leftover money in Paypal that cut the price. Otherwise, I would have just waited for the next B&N sale.
The Shout! Factory edition of The 'Burbs came in the mail yesterday. The transfer's an improvement over the Arrow and Universal releases and the extras are solid, so if you're a fan (and who isn't?), it's definitely worth picking up.
I nabbed one, too. I now have 1 dvd and 2 Blu-ray’s, the previous still in the cellophane. I wanted that retrospective. I love this movie to an unhealthy degree.
Splurged and picked up Pan's Labyrinth, Repo Man, Diabolique, and Breakfast Club (shut up) on a recent Criterion 50% off sale.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

So I'm finally gonna buy Walter Hill's The Warriors. I'd been putting it off because I wanted the theatrical version and there's finally, apparently a blu ray now that grants that wish. I can dig it! Anybody else heard of this thing?
News to me! I've held off buying the existing version for the same reason you have.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Still trying to determine if it's legit..
In other news, Scream Factory just announced a trio of John Carpenter titles coming this summer...
[Image: 29790016_1182884078515268_84762763773794...e=5B627465]

There's dirt to be dished about MEMOIRS, so we'll see how extensive the extras are.  Hopefully they at least get Sam Neill for interviews on that and ITMOM.
Not biting if In the Mouth of Madness is not an improved transfer. Memoirs will probably get a courtesy purchase though..
Scream says they're doing a new transfer of IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS.

I'm actually most excited for SOMEONE'S WATCHING ME; I'm a sucker for 1970s made-for-tv genre stuff, and this one is quality. Carpenter's style comes through even the limitations of broadcast television.
Somebody told me that you can turn the 3D off on all 3D blu rays (I didn't know that was possible)and that that 2D version is better looking than standalone 2D discs. Anyone else ever heard such a thing?
The current crowning jewel in my collection:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/PPWB-30...c563e92eb1

No English subs, but a nice crisp remastered picture quality & original audio. Probably the best these have looked short of the recently remastered 4K for the 1st Better Tomorrow.

The real bonuses are the original Japanese souvenir programs/booklets for each film that they've shrunk down to the size of the case. You'll need magnifying glasses to view these but they're great.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
(04-04-2018, 07:52 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Somebody told me that you can turn the 3D off on all 3D blu rays (I didn't know that was possible)and that that 2D version is better looking than standalone 2D discs. Anyone else ever heard such a thing?

Rarely is that the case. Usually the 3D discs are brighter to compensate for the dark glasses. The only one where it's better is the Godzilla remake because the 2D disc is SO DARK that the brighter picture makes it look normal. Also the first Guardians of the Galaxy disc only has the IMAX scenes on the 3D disc so I have done that as well.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I don't think it's the discs that are brighter. Usually the tvs are what turn the brightness up a few notches to compensate. Can't really do it in the mastering because there isn't any consistency between how the 3D is going to be displayed. Active/Passive/Projector/OLED/DLP/etc will all get dimmed in different ways by their glasses.
The 3-D blu-ray of Gamer in 2-D is most definitely sharper than the regular one. Not exactly Lawrence of Arabia....but it is what it is..
July Criterions announced:

- Bull Durham
- Sex, Lies and Videotape
- Dragon Inn
- A Matter of Life and Death
- Dietrich and Von Sternberg in Hollywood (six-film set)

[Image: 936_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg]
https://slate.com/technology/2018/04/ama...y-why.html
Always wanted The Thing from Another World (the 1951 film) on blu ray.

And found out that one was released in Japan! Yay Big Grin

...that is until I watched it. Right up there with Echo Bridge's Halloween H20 botch job and Image's horrible Hills Have Eyes blu (god bless Arrow). The Thing blu's packaging was great almost looked Criterion-ish. Do not judge a book by it's cover. I'm almost certain that the DVD has to look better. Has to.

This is doubly irritating because I just watched the 1921 silent film The Phantom Carriage a few nights ago and it looked as good as any transfer I've ever seen. AND IT'S THIRTY YEARS OLDER....so there really is no excuse for The Thing to have looked that bad. But I think it's the only HD (allegedly) release of the film so, I guess I might as well just hang on to it. Who knows when or even if a proper release will ever happen..
(04-21-2018, 11:12 AM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Always wanted The Thing from Another World (the 1951 film) on blu ray.

And found out that one was released in Japan! Yay Big Grin

...that is until I watched it. Right up there with Echo Bridge's Halloween H20 botch job and Image's horrible Hills Have Eyes blu (god bless Arrow). The Thing blu's packaging was great almost looked Criterion-ish. Do not judge a book by it's cover. I'm almost certain that the DVD has to look better. Has to.

This is doubly irritating because I just watched the 1921 silent film The Phantom Carriage a few nights ago and it looked as good as any transfer I've ever seen. AND IT'S THIRTY YEARS OLDER....so there really is no excuse for The Thing to have looked that bad. But I think it's the only HD (allegedly) release of the film so, I guess I might as well just hang on to it. Who knows when or even if a proper release will ever happen..

THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD is apparently a bit of a mess to restore. The short(ish) version is that for a long time, a somewhat trimmed print was the only available source for the film, then eventually the missing scenes were discovered (in fairly low quality condition) and were spliced back into the print. This is the version available on DVD, and the one that airs (not infrequently) on Turner Classic Movies. It's easy to tell which scenes were put back in... because they look pretty bad, like second or third generation dupes.

The hangup is apparently that Warner Bros. doesn't have "good enough" material to warrant a Blu-ray release without some serious and expensive restoration work. Now, WB hasn't come out and said they're not going to do it, but the fact that they've gone this long without putting out what would be a surefire seller for them (people have been asking for it for a long time) tells me they think it's cost-prohibitive.

Scream Factory has recently made a deal with WB, and they've certainly tackled complicated restoration projects before, so perhaps they'll acquire THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD and put it out. Either way, I hope somebody releases it!
Oh! Shout/Scream getting their hands on it would be a godsend! I bet they do a re-release of Elm Street now that they have access to New Line. Or a stand alone Jason X.

Isn't Warner in bed with Paramount somehow in some weird way? We need to start a petition for Shout to try to get a hold of Michael Mann's The Keep (it's Paramount I believe). That....along with The Abyss, True Lies and Strange Days is one of my blu ray holy grails that's left..

Man....Shout/Scream and Warner is making me giddy....if they'll just release some stuff that hasn't already been. They should start knocking out Lee/Cushing Hammer films like mad. At the very VERY LEAST Hammer's first Dracula and first Frankenstein. But if they went ahead and did them all that'd be fine too Wink
Paramount and Warner Bros. did have a home video arrangement for a while, but that's over.

As for THE KEEP, the word on the street is that Michael Mann doesn't want it to be released on Blu. I don't know if that's true, but it's unfortunate if it is.
Bastards..