Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Semi Official Blu-Ray Thread
(01-15-2020, 09:18 PM)bradito Wrote: I was just thinking about Mystery Men the other day.

I don't believe you, Brad.  Literally no one was thinking about Mystery Men the other day.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

FYI, Shout Factory is giving a modest discount to its John Carpenter titles today, in honor of his birthday.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Dammit, I don't get paid until tomorrow. Some GREAT deals there.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
30 Rock: The Complete Series is (finally) coming to BD on 4/29:

https://www.millcreekent.com/products/30...1559745593

Between this announcement and Mill Creek's excellent Community Blu-ray set, they are starting to restore my faith in humanity. Can we get Parks & Rec and The Good Place next, please?
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

This seems like good news:

Remember DVDs? Two studios have a plan to preserve the near-dead format

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-ar...y-business

BTW, articles like this always get 'what year is this?' snark. The streaming only people think they're living like the Jetsons, but then bitch when a movie they want is unavailable.

In the real world, and granted I live in the South, I still know almost as many folks that purchase movies and/or use Netflx's disc service.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

I believe belloq posted another article about that earlier, and I meant to ask if this was a good thing... From what I gather, this is positive?

I watched LOCAL HERO on Criterion Channel last night, and even though it looked great on streaming, my first thought when it ended was "I have to get that on Blu-Ray!" For me, buying it on physical media is still a top priority if I love the film.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
The merging of WB and Universal disc distribution is not a sign of strength for physical media. Their disc distribution departments are consolidating to lower costs, which is something that has been going on with studios in other countries for a long time.

I’m all about keeping physical media around, as I’m a collector, and believe blu-ray and 4K blu-ray displays a significantly improved a/v presentation over streaming. With that said, it will become a niche market sooner than later. Especially as every studio is eager for consumers to fully embrace streaming.
PSN Handle: chetripley80
At the same time, joining forces shows that those studios are still committed to servicing the (shrinking, yes) physical media market.

They clearly believe it's worth doing and dealing with the legal hassles and red tape that come from two separate entities merging like that.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(01-17-2020, 12:16 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: At the same time, joining forces shows that those studios are still committed to servicing the (shrinking, yes) physical media market.

They clearly believe it's worth doing and dealing with the legal hassles and red tape that come from two separate entities merging like that.

It’s only their distribution departments, not the physical media departments themselves.  It’s a pretty simple merger, and is something that has already happened in every other territory.

This move is basically a way for Universal and Warner Brothers to lower their distribution costs, while trying to milk whatever is left from the physical media purchasing demographic.
PSN Handle: chetripley80
Kino signed a deal to put out 200+ Universal titles on blu. No definite titles announced as of yet. Would love if they could do a loaded up edition of HARD TARGET but who knows if that's in there.

Kino has a rep that answers questions on the Blu-ray.com forums. He/She was asked today about whether they have the rights to either DEEPSTAR SIX or EXTREME PREJUDICE. The response:

Quote:We hope to answer questions about these two and some other titles very soon.

It's not a no.
The bigger question is whether Kino will get to do their own transfers. Uni's own transfers on catalog titles can be disappointing.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
I'm baffled why Kino uses such shitty transfers for the trailers of their feature films. The trailers to PRIME CUT and TAKING OF BEVERLY HILLS looked like bootleg VCD versions of a 5th generation VHS dub made on EP mode. The movies themselves looked fine so no real complaints, just curious.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
These are some quotes from the Kino blu-ray.com thread about the transfers:

Quote:And when it comes to TV shows, we try to stay away from longer running shows. Restoration costs are too high.

We also passed on many good titles that were not available in HD or in need of new transfers. We're doing new transfers for at least 30 titles, some of them to be released for the first time on disc.

Quote:Except for a few titles selected by their preservation department (Sweet Charity, The Lost Weekend), all of the new Universal transfers from the 1st deal were handled by KL.

The same goes for the 30+ titles we plan to do new transfers on, all will be handled by KL.

We've also handled the majority of the new transfers done for our other studio deals.
Awesome.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Cool!

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/statu...5873863682

***NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT***

"The first new @KLStudioClassic title from their newly inked Universal deal! Coming Summer 2020! Lonely Are the Brave (1962) Starring Kirk Douglas, Gena Rawlands, Walter Matthau, Carroll O'Connor, William Schallert and George Kennedy -"

[Image: EOkvN75X4AQDFRq.jpg:large]

Supposedly one of Douglas' favorite roles.
In many ways it's proto- FIRST BLOOD.

This is an old school spooky gem:

Coming April 7th on Blu-ray!

Supernatural (1933)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles
• Trailers

https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic/stat...3350597633

[Image: EO6Jhh-XkAM-8Fo.jpg:large]

Introducing Diane Lane.

This movie meant more to me than STAR WARS when I discovered it on cable at about 10.

It gets adolescent true love like few movies.

A Little Romance (1979) with Laurence Olivier is coming next month on Blu-ray with a new 2020 1080p HD Master!

https://twitter.com/WarnerArchive/status...9520958464

[Image: EO02xUvUYAAds2O.jpg:large]

Been meaning to check out SUPERNATURAL. This could be the excuse I need!
The Legend of Boggy Creek Blu-rays are all finished and shipping soon!

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/statu...6294958080

[url=https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1220776126294958080][/url][Image: EPERahCX4AEH9rj.jpg:large]

Hey, Travis Crabtree!!
Announcement from Netflix:

Quote:Incredibly excited and honored to announce that THE IRISHMAN, MARRIAGE STORY, AMERICAN FACTORY, and ATLANTICS will all join the @Criterion Collection later this year!

Getting THE IRISHMAN for sure.
(01-24-2020, 06:37 PM)Mangy Wrote: Announcement from Netflix:

Quote:Incredibly excited and honored to announce that THE IRISHMAN, MARRIAGE STORY, AMERICAN FACTORY, and ATLANTICS will all join the @Criterion Collection later this year!

Getting THE IRISHMAN for sure.

why?  Just stream those on Netflix.  Not being snarky, just wondering why the need to purchase them, even if they will be Criterion releases.
I only have Netflix about half the year, and I enjoy Criterion's extras. I'll probably get ROMA at some point as well.
Does anyone get the impression that Netflix has been making some backroom deals with Criterion to ensure their prestige titles get in the collection?

Or is this all a coincedence.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

makes me think it’s a similar kind of deal that made wes anderson films into criterion releases by default

check back with me if magnificent6 ends up on criterion!
I have shitty dsl in my community. Streaming never looks as good as physical presentation, so I'll be grabbing THE IRISHMAN day 1.

Does streaming look as good as a Blu-ray for you guys?

Also, with the way Netflix cancels even popular shows, I have a hunch they're bleeding money trying to be a legit studio.

If they survive this decade, I'll be surprised/ impressed.

Nice to know whatever happens, the best titles won't be lost in the void of complicated rights issues like some early 80's titles - many not even ever getting a VHS release.

Streaming never looks as good as Blu for me.
(01-25-2020, 12:16 AM)Fat Elvis Wrote: Does streaming look as good as a Blu-ray for you guys?

No, which is one reason I'm riding the physical media train until the wheels fall off.
“That which doesn't kill you wasn't done right.”—Khaya Dlanga
Don’t really have a problem with the look of streaming. But when the moon men come invading and destroy the internet I’ll feel better in the bunker if I can watch THE IRISHMAN while noshing canned peaches.
I've had varying degrees of image quality from streaming (via Roku). Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu all do pretty well most of the time, with Netflix probably being the best of the big three.

HBO and Showtime are more mixed, with noticeable PQ degrading with a lot of movement onscreen.

So far, blu is more dependable and better than streaming.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(01-25-2020, 02:05 AM)michael shaver Wrote: No, which is one reason I'm riding the physical media train until the wheels fall off.

Trains don't have wheels, dumbass.
“That which doesn't kill you wasn't done right.”—Khaya Dlanga
I watched THE IRISHMAN on 4K streaming with "Dolby Vision" and it looked great. However, I thought THE IRISHMAN was the best movie of 2019, and I would like to own it on physical media. I do that with movies I like. Pretty wild.
(01-25-2020, 08:19 AM)MichaelM Wrote: I've had varying degrees of image quality from streaming (via Roku). Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu all do pretty well most of the time, with Netflix probably being the best of the big three.

HBO and Showtime are more mixed, with noticeable PQ degrading with a lot of movement onscreen.

So far, blu is more dependable and better than streaming.

Amazon is typically the best because they allow a higher birate most of the time. Im impressed Netflix looks as good as it does given the amount of compression they use.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Not sure who Kung Fu Bob is, but yay:

***ARTWORK REVEAL*** Coming soon to Blu-ray from @88_Films , Heart of Dragon. 2 Cuts, unseen vintage extras and now new artwork from Kung Fu Bob!

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/statu...9960264705

[Image: EPTe4FHXkAE7Akd.jpg:large]