Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Semi Official Blu-Ray Thread
(02-24-2021, 08:08 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 07:41 PM)bradito Wrote: Seems like some of you guys have super sophisticated setups to watch movies that will only look about as good as they do on my 1080p Vizio that I bought for 100 clams at Walmart.

It's not a competition. 

Then why am I wearing this sexy uniform?!
(02-24-2021, 07:41 PM)bradito Wrote: Seems like some of you guys have super sophisticated setups to watch movies that will only look about as good as they do on my 1080p Vizio that I bought for 100 clams at Walmart.

[Image: gBmYHWs1xzAz0sxL75jlGKqfokU=.gif]
It's not a competition!
It is though and yes, im better than you.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
A long-awaited (by me, anyway!) announcement from Kino!

"Coming in October!
Brand New 2K Masters!
KOLCHAK: THE NIGHT STALKER (1974-75)
Starring Darren McGavin & Simon Oakland
Artwork, bonus features and additional details will be announced later."
[Image: 153100387_3836534993070046_3654221380118...e=605CECB5]
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Love Kolchak.

I recently watched the whole series as it was on cable a couple of years ago. It's no secret a lot of movies/tv shows are filmed somewhere else than where they are actually shot, but they lean heavy on the fact that Kolchak is from Chicago and a lot of the episodes are, technically, set in Chicago. He does travel to other cities though, in addition to Chicago.

They show a lot of shots of Kolchak driving in the city and there are quite a few shots of Lake Shore Drive, but I'm pretty sure most of it was filmed in California. In one of the first few episodes Kolchak goes to some warehouse and they don't even try to hide the fact that there are mountains, or at least very large hills, in the background, which I found kind of amusing, because nowhere in Chicago does that type of landscape exist.

Pretty sure I watched this on MeTV, or one of those retro channels, so it was pretty crappy quality. I would be interested to see how much this would benefit from a high quality transfer.
The Kino remasters of the two Kolchak movies look great on Blu, so I'm sure the series will look great, as well.
(02-25-2021, 03:21 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: It is though and yes, im better than you.

I'm not the one who said it!

It's true, though.

So, it *is* a competition?
Treating myself to a purchase of a few older releases on blu of 80s stuff I like. Peter Hyams' OUTLAND (1981) and 2010: THE YEAR WE MAKE CONTACT (1983), as well as the 2-disc edition of Kubrick's FULL METAL JACKET (1987) with the book and the second disc containing the doc STANLEY KUBRICK'S BOXES (2008). Got them all for cheap and can't wait to revisit in HD the miniature model goodness of the Hyams films.
Been meaning to revisit both OUTLAND and 2010.
(02-26-2021, 12:23 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: Been meaning to revisit both OUTLAND and 2010.

Both hold up pretty nicely.  I've watched them both in the past year or so and they were pretty much as good as I remembered.
They're on the agenda for some point in the near(ish) future.
I started watching my old non-anamorphic DVD of 2010 the other night and got jonesing to see it in HD instead.
The characters and world building in the films holds together for me in ways that those elements in newer space stuff like LIFE and PASSENGERS already don't.
I still don't buy Roy Scheider having dolphins in his living room, though!
Maybe he'd call Christopher Walken in BRAINSTORM for indoor living room pool house care tips.

"When... Your outside is... Inside, you... GOTTA get DAWLPHENZ."
Outland is the shit. Amazing movie. Better than the movie it's a remake of even..

(02-24-2021, 06:35 PM)bradito Wrote: I have a PS3, so however many Ks that is. Probably 3...?

Surely you jest, but if serious, it has 1K + 80. Not even 2K.
Git' in under mah belly!
I never warmed to this movie, but have been fiending for a fresh look.

Coming Soon!
Brand New 2K Master!

Man on the Moon (1999) Starring Jim Carrey, Danny DeVito, Courtney Love & Paul Giamatti – Music by R.E.M. – Screenplay by Scott Alexander (Ed Wood) and Larry Karaszewski (The People vs. Larry Flynt) – Directed by Milos Forman (Amadeus).

https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic/stat...1037455360

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

This movie came out around the time that I was a huge Kaufman-head. I'd read Bob Zmuda's book and watched the Andy Kaufman documentary that was on Comedy Central about a half-dozen times. I remember digging the movie, but I think most of my Kaufman mania subsided soon after, about the time I discovered Bill Hicks.
I'm still a Kaufman-head. I don't know why it didn't click. Not sure I bought into Jim Carrey in the role.

I always thought Edward Norton was the obvious casting choice.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Edward Norton was up for it but didn't want to audition.
About the time this movie came out, I was just out of film school and working as a video editor for a company that was co-owned by Andy's brother, Michael Kaufman. He came in to say hello and between him being an owner and also the brother of a comedy idol of mine, I was more nervous than I'd ever been in my life. Sweating, stammering, the whole bit.

Not my finest moment, but I did get to tell him how much I enjoyed the film.
(02-28-2021, 10:13 PM)bradito Wrote: Edward Norton was up for it but didn't want to audition.
I heard Foreman couldn't decide between Norton and Carrey and had the studio decide.

Norton would have been way better though, and, perhaps the only time it can be said, would have been much easier to work with.
Coming soon from Warner Archive!
[Image: 156491868_10159426278731563_577047024216...e=60632390]
"NEW 2021 1080p HD Master Sourced from a new 4K restoration of the last-known surviving nitrate Technicolor print! 
Special Features:
  • Alternate B&W version of feature
  • UCLA Before & After Restoration featurette
  • NEW documentary: 'Monsters and Mayhem: The Horror Films of Michael Curtiz'
  • NEW feature commentary by author/film historian Alan K. Rode
  • Archival feature commentary by Scott MacQueen, head of preservation, UCLA Film and Television Archive
  • Original B&W Theatrical Trailer"
This is a super fun, very weird, pre-Code horror film.  I expect the color print to look incredible in restored form.

Also coming!
[Image: 155521495_10159426283611563_794842298009...e=60631329]
Great news on QUICK CHANGE. Definite pick-up.
For those interested in the more technical side of film restorations, here's a fascinating interview with the man who restored Warner Archive's upcoming DOCTOR X release...

http://www.videoattic.com/2021/03/video-...-1932.html

Some stills of the finished product at the end there, too.  As I suspected, the two-color Technicolor cinematography looks wonderful in remastered form.

Can't wait for this one!
(03-01-2021, 12:47 AM)atomtastic Wrote:
(02-28-2021, 10:13 PM)bradito Wrote: Edward Norton was up for it but didn't want to audition.
I heard Foreman couldn't decide between Norton and Carrey and had the studio decide.

Norton would have been way better though, and, perhaps the only time it can be said, would have been much easier to work with.
Edward Norton? 

Jim Carrey was visually about perfect but I think Sam Rockwell would've been the best Kaufman..

Back in 2012, I saw Tony Clifton perform at the Comedy Store. I believe the show was called "The Tony Clifton Review," and it was a classic Old Las Vegas lounge act. It was pretty surreal when he closed the show with his cover of "Man on the Moon."
I bet that was surreal. I'd love to go to Vegas. But....the Vegas of the 70s. "Diamonds are Forever" Vegas. Meet Plenty..

He sang "Goldfinger," too!
A couple of weeks ago I was watching this early 80's SNL, and Andy Kaufman comes on doing his Elvis bit; sort of parodying the sleazy King of Albert Goldman's book - having girls wrestle him in their underwear. Then he abruptly breaks character and apologizes for doing this, to both the audience and the spirit of Elvis or whatever. He played the shame so earnestly it was kind of sweet.

Anyway, here's an intriguing announcement. Never heard of the movie, but cool pedigree:

"COMING SOON!
4K Restoration from the Original Camera Negative!
ART NOT FINAL!

ICY BREASTS (1974) This stylish Euro-chiller was written and directed by Georges Lautner (The Road to Salina) and based on the novel by Richard Matheson (Duel, I Am Legend)."

https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic/stat...7740594178

Quite a title!
I read "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson in my living room!