Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The New Asian Films Thread
The first question a lot of people will ask, is why? Why make this thread, why make a ‘new’ Asian Film Thread when there is already one.

The problem is that the Asian Film Thread is an awe inspiring beast, more Kaiju reptile than repository of information. It’s half a decade old, first post was in December of 2002, and has eight and half thousand posts. Simply but it’s a monolith and it feel it’s decline was due to the sheer level of effort a new reader would have in trying to get through it. Hopefully this thread will be able to stimulate some more discussion, even without the input of the sadly gone members who made the original thread such an incredible piece of work.

The thing which I’m hoping this thread might do is help with the popular conception of Asian Film Thread. As a symptom of the films available at the time the original thread kinda solidified the idea that all Asian cinema had to offer were samurais, ghosts, kung fu fighting and gangsters.

Maybe this new thread will flounder, maybe it’ll become so large that someone will have to start a new asian film thread in a few years time, but I’m hoping that even if we have a few contributors we might be able to get some discussion going about Asian Cinema again.

So as to make a start, I honestly feel if people are wanting to explore a non-genre side of Asian cinema there aren't two better films to start with than

9 Souls and Lily Chou Chou.

You can read my thoughts on the 2 films Here and Here
Just for clarification, if you're looking for those two titles on Netflix, the second one is listed as All About Lily Chou-Chou.

And I look forward to discussing the Kurosawa films from the new Eclipse/Criterion release just as soon as I finish watching them.
Train.

On it.

EDIT: Someone talk to me about Vengeance is Mine! I don't know anyone anywhere ever that has seen it. I want to pontificate, damnit!
Too soon Spike!

Kidding, this is nice. If a little blasphemous.

We could discuss Bushi no Ichibun perhaps.
even more importantly, Sakiyuki Western Django hits DVD either February 6th or February 20th.

so that will actually be worth discussing.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMonsterZero
View Post
Train.

On it.

EDIT: Someone talk to me about Vengeance is Mine! I don't know anyone anywhere ever that has seen it. I want to pontificate, damnit!

Did you mean the version with Rosamund Kwan?

Good idea to cover other aspects of asian film, I'm all for it, although sometimes the lines get blurred especially in HK films. I especially want to know more about comedies that perhaps a westerner can enjoy.
Time Warner Digital Cable is showing

Pulse
Nightmare
One Missed Call

on Free Movies on Demand (as I noticed last night). I'm sure they will run for the month of February.

Horrible quality The Battle of Red Cliff trailer.
Just got myself a copy of Bright Future which I should be watching either tonight or tomorrow. Love Kiyoshi Kurosawa, even when he's doing genre stuff he's fucking around with deeper themes than most other directors. It's why the insipid remake of Pulse was so awful, as the original was a really quite beautiful film about the effects that increased personal insolation were having on Japan as a whole.

Also not to try and plug but I have a blog in the chewers section which I'm replicating on blogger (as the chud.com's formatting for blogs is horrible and uneditable at the moment) which can be found here
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Marshall
View Post
The thing which I’m hoping this thread might do is help with the popular conception of Asian Film Thread. As a symptom of the films available at the time the original thread kinda solidified the idea that all Asian cinema had to offer were samurais, ghosts, kung fu fighting and gangsters.

Well,

#1 - that's what all Asian films are actually about
#2 - that thread started as more of a little place that a few guys talked about the little things that interested them, not so much as a repository of knowledge. That's why perhaps there wasn't the breadth of information that you were perhaps looking for. We just talked about the films that interested our little circle, and it wasn't always about that small spat of genres that you described. We talked about a lot of things and covered all genres. Those guys had a lot of knowledge about the films and the industries behind them.

I was a little bit sad when I saw that the other thread disappeared, but hey time to move on.
I've just been jackhammered by the beauty of CURSE OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER. Not the best story, but holy Beetlejuice what a masterpiece in terms of costumes and sets. Great peformance by Gong Li.

Fuck Forbidden Kingdom, I just can't wait for THE WARLORDS and BATTLE AT THE RED CLIFF.
I assume you're being sarcastic Electrichead, but if not you really need to start improving your cinematic diet. There are some truly great films from Japan, China and Korea which break expectations and genre. Films like Yi-Yi, Raise the Red Lantern, Nobody Knows, Last Life in the Universe, Chungking Express are all great pieces of truly mindblowing cinema which feature none of the usual tropes.

Bright Future's an interesting little film, more allegory than film. It's beautifully shot, it amazes me how quickly and succesfully DV was used in Japan, and it has this really fragile thematic beauty which sort of counteracts against a plot which has no literal bearings. Asano is great in it, but Jo Odagari completely steals the show. It's essentially a story of the listless that young people have, a desperation to achieve something and their fight to either pursue it or be safe. It's really quite incredible.
Why not divide into genre instead of continent? Just sayin'. It might be an easier read for people, if it was broken down into Martial Arts, Japanese Horror, etc. No wonder the original thread got so unweildy, if you included ALL films the Asian Market had to offer.
Vengeance is Mine blew my mind, it's an incredible, incredible piece of cinema. Up there with Memories of Murder, M and Zodiac as my favourite explorations of crime in cinema.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Marshall
View Post
Vengeance is Mine blew my mind, it's an incredible, incredible piece of cinema. Up there with Memories of Murder, M and Zodiac as my favourite explorations of crime in cinema.

I think that watching it so close to Zodiac made it even more of an incredible experience for me.
I still can't believe it's two and a half hours long, it just flew by. I just love everything about the film, I love the documentary style that it takes, I love how matter of fact the killings are, I love the music (especially the Bernard Harman like main theme which crops up when they're tracking his movements) and the central performances in the film are just awe inspiring.

The lead performer is just incredible in his ability to switch from a seething placidity to over the top buffonery and still maintain fidelity to the character.
Sarcasm my friend. Used to illustrate your simple dismissal of what was going on there. No big deal, I only watch dubbed kung-fu movies on the Ground Zero DVD label. They are the best.

KHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH!!!!
Wesley always knows what to say.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Straxboy - An Anthony Hickox Film
View Post

KHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH!!!!

Now it's a thread!

So I finally got a working copy of Fong Sai Yuk the other day (after about 4 goes with faulty discs -- fcking Universe Laser. Still they cost about 30p each so it's not like it's breaking the bank, I 3> DDDhouse). I hope it was worth the wait...

Oh, and Boxer From Shantung came in the same package. The guys at Genrebusters can't keep quiet about this picture so I thought I'd give it a punt.
Boxer from Shantung is Chang Cheh goodness, I'm not much a fan, the man made loads of crap films but he has some gems like Vengeance, that film is like a visual mix of point blank and chinese opera, so awesome.

Any of you guys seen Tazza: High Rollers? That was the last asian film I caught and it was a pretty good movie, a little too long but good nonetheless, it also had Kim Hye-Soo as a ravishing femme fatale, christ is she hot.
Man this is sweet, if I could find out where to buy it. Action figure of Shaw Bros. characters. Looks like Gordon Liu may be on my shelf.

http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/kai...ACTION-FIGURES
Alright folks, I just joined Netflix. I've got a nubile, recently-legal, virginal, near empty que for probably the only time ever!

Let's rice it up.
Saw 13 Beloved (aka 13 Game Of Death), a Thai thriller about a down-on-his-luck salesman who gets a cellphone call out of the blue telling him he's been chosen to play a game for a chance at money. He has to complete 13 tasks, starting with the simple killing of a fly with a newspaper, that get increasingly hazardous but he's forced to go along since each task nets him more cash and he doesn't get any of it until he finishes them all.

A simple premise, which plays out in a perfectly entertaining way for most of the movie (though completely implausible, ala Fincher's The Game). But then they give you one of the stupidest possible endings they could've come up with. 12/13 of a decent film, I guess. An ideal candidate for an American remake.
Does anyone have a HD tv to watch Kung Fu HD? It is a very cool channel...martial arts films in HD commercial free. I saw part of Jackie Chan's Meals On Wheels the other day...very cool indeed.
What service do you have? Dishnetwork or DirecTV? That sounds like it would be pretty cool. What else do they have on there?

Anyone been watching Human Weapon or Fight Quest? Two hour long shows with two dudes training and learning about different martial arts. It's actually pretty interesting.
Electrichead, Kung Fu HD is on Cablevision. They have 3 or 4 films a day which they air repeats of til the next day. Some of the other films available on Kung Fu HD are Shintaro Katsu's Zatoichi films, Michelle Yeoh's Yes Madam, Chow Yun Fat's Prison on fire II, along with Jackie Chan and Samo Hung's Project A, Project A2, and Dragons Forever. Bruce Lee's Way of the Dragon airs next month.
I just bought the Lone Wolf and Cub box from AnimEigo. I had only seen Shogun Asassin before, and knowing that it was edited together from parts of the first two films, I dove right in. It was interesting to see how different the first two films were in tone from SA, they're slower and a bit darker (playing up Itto's growing paranoia in the second film, for instance), and feel a lot more like the chambara I'm used to. Right now I'm on #3, Baby Cart to Hades, and I'm really loving the series so far.

As much as I like it, though, I keep thinking that it would be interesting to see a modern take on the series. The characters are very iconic, and there is a lot of material here that could be interesting to explore. I seem to remember Aronofsky's name being tossed around, am I remembering that correctly? If so, was he going to make a samurai film with Japanese actors? Because that would have been ridiculously cool.
There was a futuristic take on the lone wolf character in comic book form, Lone Wolf 2100 back in '02, I never read it though.

I watched Flashpoint again last night, it's a ridiculously awesome action movie, Wilson Yip and Donnie stage some terrific action, the score is amazing, it also has some amazing visuals.
I've recently been exposed to Lily Chou-chou, Pulse, Boiling Point and Fallen Angels through a film class I'm in.

Am still supposed to watch :
  • Copycat Killer
  • Suicide Club
  • The Family Game
I just finished watching the fifth film in the Lone Wolf and Cub series, Baby Cart in the Land of Demons, and I'm pretty much speechless. My favorite of the series, but I still have the last one left. I honestly can't believe they had the hero beheading a 5-year old girl! That was fucked up. But the setup, with the five clansmen giving their lives to test his abilities, giving him 1/5 of the money and a small part of the whole story behind the assassination plot, that was very cool.
Hey, I love asian movies, been enjoying them for awhile.

Anyone see Gozuby Takashi Miike? Or any movie directed by him? So incredibly bizarre.

The Vengeance trilogy by Park Chan-Wook is aces. Incredibly beautiful movies.
Gozu really felt like Miike was aping Lynch a little too much for my liking. That said it did open with a fantastic random burst of man on dog violence.