Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aliens
It's mega-old (like, 2006) news - but Gearbox secured the rights to make an FPS based on the Aliens series for the PS3 (and probably xbox 360 too I imagine?).

I forgot about it recently until my boss brought in a PS3 magazine with a tentative release date of 2008.

Wikipedia says 2009, as do several other games sites - yet for it to even be brought up in a magazine seems unusual. There were no screenshots, nor could I find any.

Although it seems like Obsidian(?) have been penned in to do an Aliens RPG too, both under the Sega banner.

I'm not a big fan of the Brothers in Arms engine, the system never really rocked my world, so i'm hoping this one is built entirely from scratch. In fact, whenever I imagined an "Aliens" game, I always imagined it as a squad-based isometric strategy game. Rebellion's AVP was pretty damn close to being perfect though.

Thoughts?
I'm not so sure about the 2008 release date.

Gearbox has Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway and Borderlands coming out this year. I imagine they're working on those right now but I could be wrong.

What I want to know is what's going on with the Heat game they were planning on making.
You mean you weren't satisfied with Kane & Lynch?
Hmm. Another sci-fi military shooter in development. Must be Friday.

So, someone explain to me why nobody's had the sudden realization that console gamers might be interested in having a quality Alien vs Predator FPS on their current gen systems? Cause that's the only logical reason I could see dragging the Aliens universe into an FPS again.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Clark
View Post
Hmm. Another sci-fi military shooter in development. Must be Friday.

So, someone explain to me why nobody's had the sudden realization that console gamers might be interested in having a quality Alien vs Predator FPS on their current gen systems? Cause that's the only logical reason I could see dragging the Aliens universe into an FPS again.

The aliens universe has more than enough to stand on it's own two feet without being a versus project (again).

Bear in mind, we'll probably get an AVP game as well as an aliens one. Why bother with originality?
I just want an XBLA release of the old ALIENS coin-op shooter. Not the one with the light gun, the one that had sidescrolling action and the bit where you're on the APC (or whatever the fancy truck was called) shooting the hell out of the aliens.
yeah, that Aliens arcade machine was really cool. my fave non-Final Fight scrolling fighter, along with Capcom's Punisher.
I can't be the only one who loved the AVP2 PC game. It was the best thing done with the franchise since Alien.
I just want a MAME emulator that's easy to use.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minsky
View Post
I can't be the only one who loved the AVP2 PC game. It was the best thing done with the franchise since Alien.

AVP 2 was ok. I remember thinking the story was a mess, but at least it had one over the original game.

The problem was that the engine they used was essentially broken compared to the first AVP - which even now, still plays incredibly well. Makes the second one seem like an AVP comic book.

Still, it was sweet ride. I'm kinda forgiving, until AVP:Requiem on the PSP. Oh dear.
I couldn't stand the original AVP. How was the AVP2 engine broken?

AVP2's multiplayer was glorious. Yeah, the Predator storyline was shoehorned in, but the Marine/Alien single player stuff was near perfect.
Quote:

View Post
I couldn't stand the original AVP. How was the AVP2 engine broken?

AVP2's multiplayer was glorious. Yeah, the Predator storyline was shoehorned in, but the Marine/Alien single player stuff was near perfect.

Admittedly I never used to play the AVP2 multiplayer.

But the engine they whacked it onto was prone to tearing, clunky animation and worst of all - the hit detection was awful. In the old AVP you could literally tear every limb from an alien, it's tail alone was made up of something like 10 segments. This one made it a chore.

But I did enjoy the short time you spend with a squad in the single player. And I actually really enjoyed the predator parts. Personally I thought the Alien's storyline felt more shoehorned - even if it did try some new stuff.

Still, lot of fond memories. AVP3 damnit.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bees?!
View Post
Admittedly I never used to play the AVP2 multiplayer.

You missed out. Sneaking up behind a Predator as a facehugger, implanting your egg, and re-emerging as a Predalien was a gift from Jesus.

I never noticed clipping, tearing, or clunky animations- I enjoyed the look and feel of the sequel much more than the original. Perhaps these were unresolved video card issues.

As far as the Predator stuff went: You spent the majority of the Marine campaign fighting Aliens, and the majority of the Alien campaign fighting Marines. Predators made a scant few cameo appearances, but they weren't given much to do. Still, it's a minor complaint.
Quote:

View Post
You missed out. Sneaking up behind a Predator as a facehugger, implanting your egg, and re-emerging as a Predalien was a gift from Jesus.

I never noticed clipping, tearing, or clunky animations- I enjoyed the look and feel of the sequel much more than the original. Perhaps these were unresolved video card issues.

As far as the Predator stuff went: You spent the majority of the Marine campaign fighting Aliens, and the majority of the Alien campaign fighting Marines. Predators made a scant few cameo appearances, but they weren't given much to do. Still, it's a minor complaint.

Fair play. It's entirely possible the tearing was a graphics card issue, but the poor hit detection was definitely the engine - It's hard to explain, but it's definitely there. Still, I agree that the predator's campaign was hardly fl...

**** it. I really want to play the marine campaign again now! I remember welding doors shut, and thinking "Christ, that's cool".
Funny it should be brought up, AVP2 online was my HALO. Personally I still think the multilayer in that game beats Halo any day. Recently I dug it up and started playing online again. I play alot of Survivor if anyone wants to join me?
I'll be joining you next week. I've just ordered a copy.

Damn you nostalgia!

It was only £3, so a winner all round.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Domingo
View Post
Funny it should be brought up, AVP2 online was my HALO. Personally I still think the multilayer in that game beats Halo any day. Recently I dug it up and started playing online again. I play alot of Survivor if anyone wants to join me?

AGREED. Although I don't have a copy of it installed. Perhaps I'll have to look into it...
Quote:

View Post
AGREED. Although I don't have a copy of it installed. Perhaps I'll have to look into it...

I say "damn nostalgia" but it might actually be your fault i've got cravings for the AVP2 multiplayer.

Say, did they ever sort out that lack of co-op issue?
Quote:

View Post
You mean you weren't satisfied with Kane & Lynch?

Haven't had a chance to play it yet. Every time I go to rent it it's always gone.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Shaver
View Post
Haven't had a chance to play it yet. Every time I go to rent it it's always gone.

Did you even play the demo? you'd be thankful that you saved your rental money.

EDIT: The opinions of Bees?! do not normally reflect the quality of a finished product. Except in the case of Kane & Lynch
Quote:

Originally Posted by gravedigger
View Post
I just want an XBLA release of the old ALIENS coin-op shooter. Not the one with the light gun, the one that had sidescrolling action and the bit where you're on the APC (or whatever the fancy truck was called) shooting the hell out of the aliens.

Oh god, that was a blast. I just saw that Konami put out another coin-op shooter with light guns in 2005, which is almost as good (probably the one you're speaking of). But that first Aliens game... man, I'm glad I hardly went to the arcade as a kid or else I would have sold blood to try to beat it.
Quote:

View Post
Did you even play the demo? you'd be thankful that you saved your rental money.

EDIT: The opinions of Bees?! do not normally reflect the quality of a finished product. Except in the case of Kane & Lynch

I just picked up Kane & Lynch last night, and besides some aiming issues (which were ironed out once I fucked with the settings) I don't think it's as bad of a game as people have made it out to be. I just wish you could do online co-op.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Hughes
View Post
I just picked up Kane & Lynch last night, and besides some aiming issues (which were ironed out once I fucked with the settings) I don't think it's as bad of a game as people have made it out to be. I just wish you could do online co-op.

Without derailing too much more Comparing Kane & Lynch's engine to Hitman shows just how badly wrong this went. If a company can actually go backwards in making a game playable, it's basically a failure.

Plot was interesting though.
Cover story in next month's Game Informer.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the PS2 Aliens: Colonial Marines game that got canceled?
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChunkyLover53
View Post
Cover story in next month's Game Informer.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the PS2 Aliens: Colonial Marines game that got canceled?

It's a completely different game. Colonial Marines was published by Vivendi and programmed by Fox Interactive. The new one's due for release in 2009.

I was lucky enough to play a very early Beta of Aliens: Colonial Marines at E3 back in 2001 (my friend was the game's publicist). You started off on the Sulaco after ALIENS and had a great team command/save system. You also donned the Power Loader in one level (that wasn't playable).

Even though the game was coming along great, it was cancelled for unknown (probably political) reasons.

You can see some extremely early footage here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIeLGifENbI

And pics here:

http://www.absolute-playstation.com/...ines/index.htm

I was hoping that it was the PS2's answer to ALIEN TRILOGY, a PS1 game I loved. But I'm definitely psyched for the SEGA one (which, thankfully isn't besed on the arcade shooter).
Agreed, I remember pre-ordering Colonial Marines waaay back - that early gameplay footage there looks clunky, but I remember seeing some other stuff later on that looked much smoother - the images are certainly more flattering. I was psyched as hell for that.

Sega recently released Alien Syndrome which, while completely unrelated to Aliens, I thought would satisfy my lust for killing bugs. It did not.

Then there was that PC starship troopers game. Which was fun for all of 1 level - much like every other starship troopers game.
Quote:

LONDON AND SAN FRANCISCO (February 21st, 2008) – SEGA Europe Ltd. and SEGA of America, Inc. today revealed details of the highly anticipated squad-based first-person shooter video game, Aliens: Colonial Marines™. Licensed through an exclusive agreement with Twentieth Century Fox Licensing and Merchandising and developed by Gearbox Software, the game will be available on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and Windows-based PC in late 2008.

In Aliens: Colonial Marines, players are part of a United States Colonial Marine squad and must prepare to face an alien assault more intense and horrific than ever before. Driven by a compelling and original story penned by renowned writers Bradley Thompson and David Weddle Aliens: Colonial Marines will retain the atmospheric look and feel of the original films while leveraging next-generation technology to create an entirely new interactive Aliens experience.

Packing classic Aliens weaponry ranging from pulse rifles to flamethrowers as well as brand-new equipment and skills all within a squad-based combat system, players will become an elite United States Colonial Marine. Featuring claustrophobic environments, a brooding soundtrack, and a multitude of surprises and shocks, players will battle against menacing alien hordes in strikingly detailed levels that include the stark interiors of the abandoned Sulaco and unique environments created specifically for the game.

Aliens: Colonial Marines will feature a story driven single-player mode and an all-new four player co-op mode allowing players to share the chilling experience with three friends. In co-op mode, each player will assume the persona of a Colonial Marine and have a distinct role to play in the completion of every mission. Additionally, more multiplayer modes will be revealed later in the year that will complete the Aliens video game experience.

Since its 1979 debut, Alien and its three sequels have grossed more than $557 million worldwide, garnering numerous awards, including two Academy Awards®.

In space, no one can hear me GEEKING THE EFF OUT!!!11 I'm a hardcore Alien franchise fan and 4-fucking-player co-slop makes me so happy there's probably something wrong with it.
Great news... It's just I wanted AVP3. Without Predators it will feel so wrong.
I just got the new Game Informer with a shot from Aliens: Colonial Marines on the cover...very cool indeed. I am definitely looking forward to the game adaption of James Camerons 4th best film after True Lies, Terminator, and T2Judgement Day.
I was giddy when I pulled the new Game Informer out of the mailbox yesterday.
And I get jealous as each of you continue to do so! How's the Aliens article? Are there any screenshots or additional information?
Does the article say whether the four-player co-op is on-line? If not, it can go screw.
Gravedigger, The 4 player Co-op is online.

Yellowhare, You see facehuggers, the Colonial Marines Drop ship, the Sulaco, Colonial Marines shooting at aliens, and aliens being born.
SCAAAAAAAANS!