Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aliens
I don't know if I'm too excited about this game except that I've liked Gearbox ever since Half-Life: Blue Shift. Hopefully it won't end up being as generic as Area 51, Turok, or Time-Shift.
If a similarity to Area 51, Turok, or Time-Shift is all it has going for it, that's still good enough for me; online co-slop can enhance a game's playability ten-fold for me.
Quote:

Originally Posted by YelloHare

online co-slop

I swear if I read CO-SLOP again I'm going to flip out and kill someone. You do know that it's CO-OP, right? Additional hint: it is short for COOPERATION.
I haven't heard people use Co-slop before, i'm assuming it means "I love sloppy seconds" ?
Quote:

Originally Posted by dontEATnachos
View Post
I swear if I read CO-SLOP again I'm going to flip out and kill someone. You do know that it's CO-OP, right? Additional hint: it is short for COOPERATION.

I bow to no man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bees?!
View Post
I haven't heard people use Co-slop before, i'm assuming it means "I love sloppy seconds" ?

Possibly!
Still doesn't make it clever.
Never said it was.
... So, Aliens.
Wait, it's set on LV-426 after the nuclear explosion? Well that's just fucking lazy. The screens and whatnot aren't exactly getting me hard. Besides, HALO's been out for awhile now.
Oh good. A game genre I'm sick to death of combined with a movie that's over-worshiped. Seriously, there aren't two things that I'm more tired of right now. This game is about ten years late.
That overrated movie started the whole space marine craze in the first place. Aliens is as good a movie as any to develop a following you person you.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg David
View Post
Oh good. A game genre I'm sick to death of combined with a movie that's over-worshiped. Seriously, there aren't two things that I'm more tired of right now. This game is about ten years late.

I hear what you're saying. And after the disappointing as all hell Turok, I could also use a rest from the whole space maring angle.

But Gearbox, one of my favorite developers is making this. I have the utmost confidence that this will be pretty damn good.
Gearbox made Opposing Force didn't they?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Domingo
View Post
That overrated movie started the whole space marine craze in the first place.

Well, first of all, I don't recall anything vaguely resembling a space marine craze. Were people having space marine theme parties or something? Secondly, there was this little novel called Starship Troopers that Aliens was very consciously referencing that came out decades earlier.
Halo, Turok, Doom the film, countless projects are more Aliens than anything else. Besides, nobody had heard of Troopers before the movie came out. Don't argue this dude.
Quote:

View Post
Halo, Turok, Doom the film, countless projects are more Aliens than anything else. Besides, nobody had heard of Troopers before the movie came out. Don't argue this dude.

*sputter*

I wouldn't know where to begin to argue with that.
Quote:

View Post
Gearbox made Opposing Force didn't they?

Sure did. That and Blue Shift.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg David
View Post
Well, first of all, I don't recall anything vaguely resembling a space marine craze. Were people having space marine theme parties or something? Secondly, there was this little novel called Starship Troopers that Aliens was very consciously referencing that came out decades earlier.

The games of Starship troopers have been... unusual to say the least. EDIT: That is to say, crap. Although there was a strategy game of it I played ages ago which seemed quite amusing...

And don't jinx yourself regarding space marine theme parties - people dress up as furry animals for christ's sake.
Please let this game rock, please oh please oh please.

What has Gearbox done besides the Half-Life 1 expansions?
There's a new article up at Kotaku about this with a few more details:

Small details they may be, but when they're details on Gearbox's upcoming Aliens squad-shooter, you'd damn well better lap them up. First up, the game won't be restricted to claustrophobic indoor environments. While they'll obviously play a big part, there'll also be outdoor sections as well, giving you a breather from the RELENTLESSLY OPPRESSIVE DARKNESS. It also won't feature your traditional progression through levels, either. Rather than simply advance from beginning to end, some levels will require you to "make a stand", asking you to set up turrets and barricade doors in an effort to hold an area from a swarm of incoming bugs.

Two more: first is that the game will feature proper acid blood, which won't just injure you if you get too close, but will also have minor effects on the level's environments. Second is that the game will feature quick-time events. Sorry to save the bad news for last, but hey, you had to hear it some time.

Source: http://kotaku.com/366728/details-on-...aliens-shooter
The acid blood sounds like a great touch.

This may set me up as the butt of jokes, but are quick time events the same as what's usually termed a scripted event?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakespeare
View Post
What has Gearbox done besides the Half-Life 1 expansions?

The Brothers In Arms series and the upcoming "Mad Max meets Diablo" FPS Borderlands.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakespeare
View Post
The acid blood sounds like a great touch.

This may set me up as the butt of jokes, but are quick time events the same as what's usually termed a scripted event?

It's a cutscene where you have to mash buttons to complete an action. I don't know why these are so popular among developers - ah right, it's because they're easy to do.

Still, the acid blood damaging the environment would be a nice touch.
jake, think God Of War boss fights.
That's not fair. It's very rare any of them are as good as God Of War.
BUmp
i need more info of this game.
Quote:

View Post
I don't know why these are so popular among developers - ah right, it's because they're easy to do.

Actually, I think it's more that it allows the developers to give you a dramatic confrontation that would be nigh-impossible from the standard presentation. Slow-motion, different camera angles, etc.. If they're implemented well, I don't mind them at all.
What I know so far (from that article i mentioned):
-Developers want the campaign to follow the movie's established settings, as you are a member of a platoon of marines that investigates the events in the film; you visit the Derelict from "Alien, the Sulaco from "Aliens" and so on.
-The "making a stand moments" are triggered on certain parts of the levels, and usually will involve holding a position until you order your mates to set up turrets to defend a perimeter or weld a door to secure the area.
-There will be no hud, all guns will display their ammo count.
-Using a motion detector and a weapon at the same time will not be an option, and the use of the motion detector will play in the "you as team leader" aspect of the game.
-The game's script and plot is being written by Bradley Thompson and David Weddle, from Battlestar Galactica.

Hope anything of this helps.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryoken
View Post
What I know so far (from that article i mentioned):
-Developers want the campaign to follow the movie's established settings, as you are a member of a platoon of marines that investigates the events in the film; you visit the Derelict from "Alien, the Sulaco from "Aliens" and so on.
-The "making a stand moments" are triggered on certain parts of the levels, and usually will involve holding a position until you order your mates to set up turrets to defend a perimeter or weld a door to secure the area.
-There will be no hud, all guns will display their ammo count.
-Using a motion detector and a weapon at the same time will not be an option, and the use of the motion detector will play in the "you as team leader" aspect of the game.
-The game's script and plot is being written by Bradley Thompson and David Weddle, from Battlestar Galactica.

Hope anything of this helps.

Looking forward to this game, to which we'll see more of the game after Hell's highway comes out. Also I want to know more about Obsidian's RPG, which we know nothing about (they're focusing on the Spy RPG Alpha Protocol which is duw in Feb 09)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Singer
View Post
Actually, I think it's more that it allows the developers to give you a dramatic confrontation that would be nigh-impossible from the standard presentation. Slow-motion, different camera angles, etc.. If they're implemented well, I don't mind them at all.

And my complaint?

Quote:

View Post
That's not fair. It's very rare any of them are as good as God Of War.

As long as the game over screen has Hudson doing a voice over on it, I'm there.
As a long time Alien fan I'm intersted, but how do you maintain the threat and terror in a shooter? How you prevent these creatures from being reduced to nothing but screeching targets?
Alien Trilogy had a fantastic atmosphere, i'd even hazard saying it was scary.

Both AvP games have managed it too. Even Resurrection had its moments.

The only time the terror really disappeared was in the strategy game, but that's something they discovered early on with Resurrection back when it was a third-person game.

The screenshots of the team covering the door while it's being welded shut looks like we're in for some tense defence moments.
IT LIVES!
http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archi...l-Marines.aspx

Has this been posted yet? It's outstanding, I can't stop watching it!

https://www.facebook.com/blogcineoculto/...154368450/