Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going to the Gym
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake
View Post
it's not like jazzercise or aerobics, not gimmicky like Tae-Bo, and it's actually pretty fucking hard.

Thank you. I wasn't standing on my shoulders this weekend, trying to keep the soles of my feet pressed together and my back straight at the same time, thinking "whew! I'm glad they came up with this nice, easy exercise system for girls, so we don't have to fool around with those silly weights." Really, it was more along the lines of "When is this eternally smiling, sadistic hippie going to let us lie down?"
Quote:

Originally Posted by MissZooey
View Post
Really, it was more along the lines of "When is this eternally smiling, sadistic hippie going to let us lie down?"

Aah! There's your answer. I know I fly into a blind rage when I enter within twenty yards of a hippie. I black out and...oh god, the horror...

Actually, yoga always looked interesting (and terribly painful), just...never got the time. Why guys don't do it when you have all of those ridiculous cute girls in there is beyond me.
He's a very nice hippie. He just has a maddening tendency to say things like "Okay, while keeping your hips squared, lower your nose to your knee. If you can reach, go to your shin" while grinning like he just asked us to clap our hands. I have another teacher who likes to introduce new, extremely difficult poses by saying "Okay, now we're going to so something really fun..." She also smiles a lot.
Know who else smiled a lot? Hitler. Coincidence? I think not.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Happenin
View Post
Actually, yoga always looked interesting (and terribly painful), just...never got the time. Why guys don't do it when you have all of those ridiculous cute girls in there is beyond me.

Cause you look kinda silly with a raging hard-on?
Well, as stated in another thread, I doubt we'd be able to finish class as the mere presence of said raging hard on would drive them all into a frenzy!
Quote:

Originally Posted by billylove
View Post
Cause you look kinda silly with a raging hard-on?

Clearly you've never seen the "Ivory Tower" yoga position.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Happenin
View Post
Guns! The great equalizer.

Don't forget bats and clubs, either.
Zooey, I love yoga. The best yoga tape in the world, back in the 80s when every celebrity you can think of put out a workout video, was this yoga tape that Raquel Welch did - the outfits are hilarious (we're talking leg warmers, "Let's Get Physical" headbands, shoulder pads in her leotards, and dangle earrings), but believe it or not, she does a really great workout. I lost seven pounds on that sucker. And no, not from laughter.
Quote:

View Post
Clearly you've never seen the "Ivory Tower" yoga position.

Is that similar to the cock push-ups that Jack Black did?
What's the story on steam yoga? Yay? Nay?
I've never done it (I go to an Iyengar studio). My sister did, though, while she was living in Australia and she said that it was really intense but very satisfying when she was done.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott
View Post
What's the story on steam yoga? Yay? Nay?

You get extremely thirsty afterwards. Yes, someone I know did this and that is what he said about it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amphibatron
View Post
Seriously, people, get your ass to the gym. You never know what wonders you may see.

He's wearing baby clothes, I think. Get that lil' dude a onesie (and I'm not talking about the JCVD unitard kind either)!
Quote:

Originally Posted by nekkerbee
View Post
A woman doing yoga is cool and kinda sexy, so no jokes from us. Does DaveB go too? Because that's deserving of mockery.

For the record, I do. Lost about 10-15 pounds since I started this summer, actually, and am certainly way more flexible. I figure I'll stick with it until graceful, calming self-fellatio is achieved.
I like that DaveB has a specific goal.
Discovering yoga has been a saving grace. I'm way stronger than I ever was simply weight training. The poses themselves are a form of resistance, so I get a workout from that. But when I do go to the gym, my range of motion is just so much greater. I can get a better workout, hitting muscles I wouldn't have before.

I actually do yoga at home these days because here in NYC the yoga studios are packed. I mean wall to wall! I don't want to have to hold a pose with my face in some guy's nutsack. Speaking of which, a lot of classes I attended were dominated by men and they were constantly trying to outdo one another - who can hold a pose the longest, get into a deeper stretch. It was too much. Yoga shouldn't be stressful!

People, if you haven't tried yoga you should. When I was a personal trainer it never ceased to amaze me that most men cannot hold up their own body weight, but can bench press 2-3 times that. I know it's great to want to show off your pecs and shit, but in terms of functionality, yoga is much more conducive to strengthening muscles you use in your everyday life.
Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaNY
View Post
I like that DaveB has a specific goal.

A specific goal that I was previously unaware of. Seated forward bends have taken on a whole new meaning...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diva

Speaking of which, a lot of classes I attended were dominated by men and they were constantly trying to outdo one another - who can hold a pose the longest, get into a deeper stretch. It was too much. Yoga shouldn't be stressful!

There was this guy in my class on Sunday who was breathing like he was deadlifting 500 lbs. It was ridiculous - you could hear him from across the room.

Quote:

People, if you haven't tried yoga you should. When I was a personal trainer it never ceased to amaze me that most men cannot hold up their own body weight, but can bench press 2-3 times that.

I think that the gender-based differences in physiology that become apparent in yoga class are fascinating. I believe that it's because men and women have radically different relationships with their bodies. I can't get off the floor to save my life (working on it!), but the men have no problem at all with chaturanga

whereas the women seem to take right to uttanasana

while the men are all up on a pile of blocks, looking frustrated.
I guess we lost the other "gym" thread? That sucks horse balls.

I've been doing a sort of "beginners" yoga class every Friday at the gym. I have never been in so much pain the next day before. My whole body was hurting. Not as much now since my body is getting used to it all but wow was that ridiculous. The gym offers a power yoga where they're standing on their heads and doing some other weird shit. I don't think I could do that.

The "triathlon" program will be going once a month now. 20 minute run, 10 minute swim 60 minute spin bike. So that'll be a nice change up.

I'm registered for another long run. This one is in March. It's the 'Around the Bay 30km' race in Hamilton, Ontario. It's the oldest road race in North America (even older than the Boston Marathon). Then in May I'll be a doing a 5km and the Ottawa Marathon (26.2 miles). I might do a 10km in August and I'm on the fence with the Niagara Falls Marathon or Half Marathon. I'll see how I feel. Then next January it's the Walt Disney World Marathon! I'll be doing BOTH the half AND the full marathon. It's called the 'Goofy Challenge'. That should be a blast.

Oh and N.O. Xplode is greatness!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diva
View Post
Speaking of which, a lot of classes I attended were dominated by men and they were constantly trying to outdo one another - who can hold a pose the longest, get into a deeper stretch.

Leave it to guys to fuck up something like yoga with retarded dickswinging.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan
View Post
Oh and N.O. Xplode is greatness!

Classes are cool. I love yoga, at 24 Hour Fitness almost all the classes are free with your membership, theres about 30 different ones. Or maybe I should try Kick Boxing!
55 posts later, we finally know who you're shilling for.
Quote:

Originally Posted by thefaint287
View Post
Or maybe I should try Kick Boxing!

Fantastic idea. Let's spar. You can start.
Quote:

View Post
Fantastic idea. Let's spar. You can start.

And shortly after kickboxing with Jake, "thefaint287" changed his name to "Vegetable Soup."
Aw, how cute. thefaint is spamming the exact same sort of thread on the training site I frequent under the username "blackdonnelly".

Shill-licious.
Out of idle curiosity - how do you know it's him?
Quote:

Originally Posted by MissZooey
View Post
Out of idle curiosity - how do you know it's him?

The poster is located in Los Angeles, the account has twenty and some-odd posts asking pointed questions about specific products, the initial post is in the same format(same question, etc), and the single reply that they posted to the thread is pimping 24 Hour Fitness basically word-for-word from their reply to this post.
That's some fine internet detection there Jake. Damn fine.
Quote:

View Post
on the training site I frequent

What do you discuss on a training site, the insano-flex?
Quote:

View Post
What do you discuss on a training site, the insano-flex?

Yes. We're currently devising a plan where all the members do synchronized plyometrics so that we can hit the ground hard enough to knock the Earth out of orbit. It's gonna be awesome.

Otherwise - just nutrition, programs, advice, etc. There are quite a few PTs and nutritionists who show up on there as well as other forums, so it's a pretty good resource for beginners and those with a few more years under their belt.
Changing the discussion a bit.

I was watching true life, an older episode, where they were covering steroids. And it looked like everyone got their supply or were assisted by nutritionists. I was supremely pissed someone that was a certified nutritionist would actively help one of their clients destroy their life.
Quote:

View Post

I was watching true life, an older episode, where they were covering steroids. And it looked like everyone got their supply or were assisted by nutritionists. I was supremely pissed someone that was a certified nutritionist would actively help one of their clients destroy their life.

For some folks, particularly those who are grizzled with eld, steroids or HGH can be used to raise your hormonal levels you enjoyed in your early 20s, rather than unnaturally and dangerously exceed the normal threshold. However, I have no opinion as to how responsibly nutritionists/weight trainers adhere to this philosophy.

One of the many, many problems with recreational/professional abuse of steroids and HGH is that we don't see clinical research into the potential benefits. It's very similar to how the absurd stigma attached to THC (marijuana) has stunted any scientific inquiry into medical uses (i.e., warding off nausea associated with wasting sicknesses).
Quote:

View Post

Yeah, it's a pretty disgusting phenomenon. Not only that, but the people who do this shit naturally based on a good diet, protein, and creatine can't stand the gearheads.

Sure, it's nice that you blew up after doing a couple of cycles over a two-month period, but don't be a shriveled little dick and act like you did it all on your own - we can tell when you're on gear. If you weren't such lazy pansies, you'd have actually put in the hard work to do it instead of needling yourself in the ass for a few weeks and calling it a day.

And there's nothing more insulting than people accusing you of using - during my brief football stint in school I had a genetic freak of a friend who lost his shit on a guy after said guy claimed that his growth(over a three-year period, mind you) was using test and ana. His freakout didn't help the rumors any, but I lifted with the guy for a few years prior and not once did I see him popping or shooting anything.

EDIT: And what Overlord said. While HGH is a performance enhancer, labeling it as a steroid is patently false. It's still looked down upon in the younger crowd, but there's a sizable population of older guys who use it infrequently and I don't hear them coming under as much scrutiny. It's kind of an odd double standard.
Yeah, it's fairly obvious to pick out the juice heads if you go to a gym regularly.
Curious, Jake, what would that website you frequent be?

I'm going to be joining a gym soon, as part of my "Jesus Christ [me], look at you! Get your shit together! Fuck!" initiative. A board full of knowledgable peeps seems a good place to augment that.