Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going to the Gym
(01-15-2019, 11:19 AM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Working out AFTER work sucks ass. It's always preferable to do it before work but Christ it's hard to get up and do that sometimes. And advancing age isn't making things easier, ugh..

I’m about to have to deal with this. I run six miles every single day, and due to deeply-rooted OCD as well as an obsessive fear of gaining weight back I haven’t missed a single day in seven years. For the last four years I have for the most part enjoyed the relative luxury of working either mid or closing shifts in the Biergarten at the brewery  I work at. 

Next month, though, I’m finally moving into production working in the cellar. They’re willing to work with me on my school schedule which means for the most part I will be working the morning shift from 4AM-noon. Which means I’ll have to squeeze in my workout between 1 and 4, at which point I’ll be in class until 8.

It’s gonna be a bit of a grind, and I know from experience that these post-work runs are gonna be pretty rough comparatively.......but I know I can tough it out until school’s done and they can finally put me in the full rotation.

And besides that my body could probably stand to have a bit of a shake-up from my usual routine.
Going to Day 2 this afternoon--my legs hurt SO much but going to try and push through it. Can't wait to do 3 minutes straight of squats again.

Getting into the schedule is the hardest part--glad to hear you're going to be able to fit it in. If I can get this routine down for 3 days a week, and the major soreness starts turning into regular soreness, I'll try to do some mornings here and there. We are about to move into "summer hours" meaning that I get to leave at lunchtime on Fridays.
I did it! The 2nd workout was sort of like bouncing squats. Holy shit I wanted to scream. But I burned another 600+ calories. Back again tomorrow.
10 visits in! I even got an email congratulating me on 10 visits. Is it any easier? A little bit. It hits different parts of my body every time I go so something different is sore, but a good sore. So far not bored and still looking forward to the visits (some days more than others). I have a physical at my doctor on Thursday, so we'll see if this has made a difference.

After two months, I'm going to 4 days a week. I haven't really lost any substantial weight, but I am fitting differently in my clothes. I realized that I had gained a lot of weight when I noticed that just sitting was making me uncomfortable around my waist. That feeling has pretty much gone away now.
I moved up a notch on my belt last week, so, progress! And my BP at the doctor was 122/84, which is the best it's been in a long time. HDL is still too low, but I'm beginning to think that's a genetic thing. Another 2 weeks and I'm attempting to start doing 4 days a week.
I’m getting closer and closer to my fitness goals, did 8 sets of 10 mixed grip chin-ups today a the gym (That’s one hand in an overhand grip and the other in an underhand grip, switching after each set). I also have recently been able to do 4 sets of 15 reps of fully suspended TRX pushups, that’s with my feet in one set of straps and my hands gripping another set of straps. I never thought I’d be able to do those when I first started using the straps a few years ago.
When life gives you lemons, lemonade is little consolation. 
For the runners here - have any of you had to adjust your regimen to account for pains and injuries? I'm 30, but when I was in my early 20s I ran something like 50 km a week on concrete paths, and consequently running even 5k on a treadmill makes my right ankle feel tender for about 48 hours.

Fortunately I live right next door to a gym, so I can mix it up with swimming (which I enjoy having done, but which I struggle to get up and do) and the elliptical machines, but neither as good as going for a run outdoors.
(06-08-2019, 07:17 AM)rexbanner Wrote:  but neither as good as going for a run outdoors.

I have to assume by "good" you mean "how I feel afterwards" (or "how I feel during"), not "demonstrably better for me." And I get that - running does it for you. It's the exercise that makes you feel like you've done something.

However.

Swimming is vastly better for you. Zero impact on your joints. Works essentially every muscle group. Improves your cardio. Is not weather-dependent.

Have you considered cycling? On an actual bicycle, not a machine. You can get similar highs, it's outside, and it doesn't stress your joints the way running does. 

~~~

Tangent: if it helps, I'm a cyclist and I've had to adjust my cycling as I get older. I used to be able to (and still love) long (20+ miles) routes out in the country with a mix of residential streets. These days I do the vast majority of my riding on a dedicated path. None of the big hills of my preferred routes, and visually it gets VERY boring. But it's far safer for me and I use music or podcasts to help offset the visual sameness. I miss the old days of conquering huge hills and getting up to 30+ MPH on the downside, and the feeling I had knowing I "conquered" the route. But I'm learning to accept a few limitations and changes, and to still feel good about doing the exercise, period.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Yeah, I meant in terms of running feeling better during (you can go places, and even on the treadmill you can listen to music or podcasts [this is possible in a pool, but it's inevitably a pain in the arse that's more trouble than it's worth]). Swimming does feel just as good afterwards though, and there's absolutely nothing stopping me from being able to fit in 2km every morning before work, other than the 'ugh, I have to swimming?' thing which never stopped me running.

One of my friends cycles constantly, and he's always pushing routes and stuff on me, so I'll def look into that too.
Rex, I was a huge runner for years. I ran X-C in college, ran marathons, just plain ran for fun. Ran though pain, because pain is weakness leaving the body and all that incredibly destructive BS.

Problem is, now I'm in my 50s and have arthritic feet and knees.

I find swimming to be a tedious drag, so I've taken up cycling. It's easy on the joints, it gets me out, and it's just plain fun. It isn't as efficient as running for a workout, but life is about tradeoffs.

That said, I'm off for a short run. Like you, I love it even though it's bad for me.
I've seen so many good people in my life that I've almost lost my faith in the wickedness of humankind.

--Will Durant
Two cortisone shots in my shoulders and physical therapy. That's been my life for a while, but now I'm back in the gym. I turn 50 next year and my goal is to be in the best shape of my life on the day.
(06-12-2019, 08:51 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: Two cortisone shots in my shoulders and physical therapy.  That's been my life for a while, but now I'm back in the gym.  I turn 50 next year and my goal is to be in the best shape of my life on the day.

I can honestly say that thanks to working out (30 minutes elliptical, 30 minutes weights) twice a week, focused stretching every morning, and cycling when weather permits, I'm in better shape at 51 (almost) than I was at 21. I weigh more, but as far as overall health, tone, and just how I feel (and look, I think), I'm better now.

You can do it. Steady and consistent is the key - don't go extreme. You want something that you can sustain past the target date.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

I was in the best shape of my life when I was 44. Unfortunately, that's when I came down with pancreatitis and had to spend the better part of a year in and out of the hospital trying to resolve it. My whole workout regimen got borked. The good news is that I'm only about 10 pounds over where I was then. I'm going easy on my shoulder exercises (doing more reps with less weight) while my rotator cuffs heal/get stronger, but I'm full throttle on everything else. So far, I've been hitting the gym 5 days a week (3 days cardio and weights, 2 days maximum cardio) and I'm already back to where I was in terms of cardio endurance. I feel great, I just need to get 'cut' again. I'm about 90% compliant on my paleo diet and looking/feeling great. I should be in great shape when I hit Europe for 3 weeks in July/August (i'll be off diet but doing a ton of cardio with all of the walking, plus I'll be hitting the gym at the hotels) and I'm highly, highly motivated.

Feels really good to be back on track with this. My shoulder issues have kinda gotten me down in terms of feeling physically good so I'm glad that I took the plunge to get them functional again. I should have done this a year ago, frankly.
That's awesome. Ideally, I'd be doing weights 3 times and cardio every day, but that's not realistic for me.

Wife's been talking about getting an elliptical for the house, though.

We have a Peloton for days we don't go to the gym for cardio.
I've been trying to pack on the muscle again. My goal is to get back to being able to put up 400 again. But the reality of just how far I was from that when I REALLY started back was....humbling. I can hardly handle 250 as of right now (which isn't bad considering I weigh 160) but still. I'm 37 not 27. My elbows are hurting like a son of a bitch and I swear I thought I tore something in my chest being stupid. This is gonna take years..
It's my 51st birthday today--I'm 6 months in on the 9Round thing and still going. 3 days a week, consistently. Trying to push to get to 4 days a week. I'm still burning 500+ calories a workout, and still enjoying it. I've lost a little bit of weight, but I'm down two notches on my belt. I feel like maybe I'm not eating enough now, but I've been doing IF the past 2 weeks, 4 days a week, and that seems to be helping drop some weight.