Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Two Towers discussion
Getting this thread warm for tomorrow. I will NOT post any spoilers, just opinion. As will Steve.
What time is the showing?
Godspeed Nick.

The trailer is enough to get me all giddy.
I'm hoping for a film that is equal to FOTR. With some of these insanely high expectations for this film, I can't help but think some of you will be disappointed. It's also a sequel(well not really but you get the drift) and it doesn't have as easy a ride as FOTR last year, add to that the fact that the movie is 3 hrs long and is extremely violent, it probably won't be as well-received as FOTR last year.
I have a feeling that this will top LOTR in gross. Everyone I know is wanting to see this, even folks who didn't see FOTR until DVD. The power this film will have might even top Episode II, possibly even Spidey. I may be wrong, but it wouldn't suprise me.
I doubt TTT can top Spider-man. However, I'm sure it can get pretty darn close, possibly edging out AOTC. It's still 2 weeks away and frankly my patience is wearing thin; I want to see TTT right now!
I like FOTR more than Spidey, but... no way in hell it'll do more than the first film, which did $300+, or Spidey which crossed 400. My guess is around $250.
Quote:

Andre Dellamorte:
I like FOTR more than Spidey, but... no way in hell it'll do more than the first film, which did $300+, or Spidey which crossed 400. My guess is around $250.

And either way that number will add up to profits.
oh god oh god oh god oh god...

So, is it any good, or what?
I'm going to lay it down now and say there is no way Nick will NOT come back raving about this movie today.

He'll be as ecstatic as any of you ever have been.
I think i'm more excited than Nick is that he's seeing it.

Well, probably not.

I can't wait for his reaction, though....

Micah, you gonna see it at some point, or not? Just curious.

I just found out were getting a 11:59pm showing on Tuesday!!!!!

It's like Christmas twice in a row!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
I want feedback as soon as Nick can get his hot little fingers on the keyboard. I can not wait to see this film.
The bottom line is this, and I don't know if Micah's post was a jab saying I've made my mind up of just a confident post saying that because there's not a lot at risk here that it'll be hard for the film to suck in my eyes.

I know the story, I've seen about 35 minutes of it (including stuff I was most concerned with about the film), and this isn't a sequel where the film was cobbled together to capitalize on a phenomenon.

That said, there's always the chance it'll disappoint. I doubt it.
Quote:

mecha superior:
What time is the showing?

2pm
Thanks Nick.

And yeah...I think by now, people HAVE to know how dedicated PJ was in making these films, and how he KNEW what fans wanted to see and how they wanted to see it.
I have to agree with Devin.

Given the fact that the films were shot back-to-back by the same people and that the quality in the books is consistent from the first page to the last (if nothing, they become more epic and and rely less on exposition as the story progresses), there is no way these movies can disappoint. Any concerns about this were put to rest with the release of Fellowship.

The only real question is, can it get better than The Fellowship of the Ring?

The only struggle The Two Towers will have to face is that it's a film without a beginning or an end. People who bitched about Fellowship not having an ending will be twice as pissed off with this one. But that's a BO problem- and a minor one, I believe. It has nothing to do with the film's quality

Yeah, considering they were shot all together, these flicks are going to be very well put-together in terms of spirit and such. I wasn't a huge fan of FOTR but I seriously cannot foresee a dropping of the ball, unless there's a part of the story that I don't like (since I haven't read the books).
I appreciate you not assuming anything, Nick.

It wasn't a jab. But you love the books, loved the first film, and as was pointed out by others here - they were made almost simultaneously.

There's no way you cannot love it.

And no, Verbal, I won't be seeing this theatrically. I'll borrow somebody's DVD when the extended edition comes out a year from now.
I'd strongly urge you to give it a go, since the story becomes darker and more focused as the story progresses.

I have a question, given the fact that you didn't feel Fellowship was a complete film, what do you think your view on the trilogy as a whole will be?
Quote:

mastronikolas:
I'd strongly urge you to give it a go, since the story becomes darker and more focused as the story progresses.

I have a question, given the fact that you didn't feel Fellowship was a complete film, what do you think your view on the trilogy as a whole will be?

Well, I think it'd be foolish for me to pay money to watch TTT since I didn't like either version of its predecessor, nor am I enamored with the books. Same likelihood of my disdain for it as there is Nick's rapture with it for opposite reasons.

And as far as the trilogy as a whole....I don't know if I'll ever be able to evaluate that.

If I happen to watch TTT a year from now or whatever and don't like it, I wouldn't watch Return of the King ever. Wasted time.

But if I did like it and I decided to go see Retun of the King and liked it, maybe I'd rewatch FOTR, and everything could change.

Lot of "ifs" there, tho.

I would agree that the story becomes darker, certainly, but I'm not sure about more focussed. If anything, the narrative gets wider as the characters seperate and go on their own story arcs.

At least, that's how it played out in the book. It then doesn't come together again until ROTK.
Quote:

mikah912:
Well, I think it'd be foolish for me to pay money to watch TTT since I didn't like either version of its predecessor, nor am I enamored with the books.

I also have a question. Will you be seeing Star Wars Episode III in the theater?
Quote:

Darth Algar:
I also have a question. Will you be seeing Star Wars Episode III in the theater?

Sure. It comes from better stock than the LOTR films, so despite the missteps thus far by Lucas, it's likely to be at least a bit better.
It does NOT come from better stock. It DOES however, have a more storied CINEMATIC history... though after the new LOTR comes out the scales may be balanced.
Quote:

Devin Updating:
I can't imagine HOW it would disappoint...

Ahhh, stop jinxing the movie!!!!

At this point, I don't care about the box office, I am just hoping and praying that it is as good as FOTR because I can't imagine it being better.

Quote:

Nick Nunziata:
It does NOT come from better stock. It DOES however, have a more storied CINEMATIC history... though after the new LOTR comes out the scales may be balanced.

Nick, you know how I feel about the books, so I think it DOES come from better stock.

Lucas is a weaker screenwriter than Jackson, to be sure, but since he has the base of the superlative original trilogy to draw from, I'd much rather see stories inspired by that than routine "here's a party...they're questing for this item....battle against a Balrog/orc/frost giant/whatever..." scenarios.
Quote:

mikah912:
[Sure. It comes from better stock than the LOTR films, so despite the missteps thus far by Lucas, it's likely to be at least a bit better.

So, because you like the original trilogy... even if you hate Episode III more than the previous two, you won't have wasted your money?
Quote:

Darth Algar:
So, because you like the original trilogy... even if you hate Episode III more than the previous two, you won't have wasted your money?

AFter I say this, hopefully we can return to TTT, because the last thing this board needs is another SW thread.

If I go to see a film that I believe has the potential to be good, but is in fact crap, I don't think I've wasted my money. While the admission price didn't get me a good film to enjoy for a couple of hours, it did afford me the chance to see for myself how inadequate it turned out to be in the long run. I wouldn't know it was crap otherwise, because I believed in the potential of the film.

That's why I don't believe my admission price for FOTR or AOTC was a waste of money. I went into both films believing in their potential greatness and found it in neither. But it was a learning experience. Worth the money, really.

But now that I know what LOTR represents and have sufficiently low expectations, it'd be a waste of money to pay to see another LOTR film.

Whereas, with SW, the potential is still there for a great film that will please me. 3 great films, one decenet one (TPM), and one crap one (AOTC). That's not a lock for damnnation. It's mostly good, and has the potential to be even better if EP. 3 is done right.

LOTR is 0 for 1.5 with me (counting the extended edition), and since the TTT looks to be more of the same by all accounts,, it'd be silly to EXPECT otherwise, although it's absolutely possible that it may shock me and cause me to revise the way I feel about LOTR.

Just not likely.
Quote:

mikah912:
I won't be seeing this theatrically. I'll borrow somebody's DVD when the extended edition comes out a year from now.

That's a damn shame, Micah. I'd be interested to hear your two cents on the film. But I totally understand you not wanting to give up money and three hours of your time for a movie you'll probably dislike. Oh well. I guess I'll hear your opinion sometime in August when the DVD comes out.
Did you have high expectations going into FOTR? Or did you go into it doubtful?
Quote:

mikah912:
And no, Verbal, I won't be seeing this theatrically. I'll borrow somebody's DVD when the extended edition comes out a year from now.

Wait a second. You'll watch Highlander:Endgame repeatedly - which is fine, Bruce Payne's scenery chomping alone is worth the price of the DVD - but won't pony up to watch some some state of the art heavy-duty medieval carnage? I'm kind of surprised at that. Even if you think the plot is swiss cheese, you know The Two Towers is going to be some serious eye candy.
Quote:

Call:
Did you have high expectations going into FOTR? Or did you go into it doubtful?

Not doubtful, but not pre-disposed to its greatness as many were here either.

Just evenly optimistic.
Quote:

Refrozen Seabass:
Even if you think the plot is swiss cheese, you know The Two Towers is going to be some serious eye candy.

See my remarks on the last 45 minutes of AOTC to learn how much eye candy matters to me now.