Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Two Towers discussion
Please lets not turn this into another "How in the name of all that is sacred could Mikah not like LOTR" thread.

For some odd reason my excitment level is being held finely in balance. With Fellowship I was going crazy waiting for the movie night, but with this one I'm much more patient.
Still can't fucking wait.
I dunno. I think my anticipation level is much higher this time around.

Having never read the books I was not *exactly* sure what to expect going into Fellowship. I had to be converted in those 3 hours. And I was. Big time.

So my excitement is nearing fever pitch. Unfortunately it has to wait until the Saturday after opening.
Right now my anticipation is lower than it was for FOTR. As I mentioned in another thread it took viewing FOTR on DVD to get me solidly into it's corner, having viewed the movie theatrically too soon (IMO) after finishing the novel.

However, I suspect that Nick's review will cause me to find a babysitter for opening weekend.

I came to CHUD too late to be familliar with the original FOTR thread, but I'm interested in reading Mikah's take. Time to hit the archives...
Quote:

Rob Rocco:
I came to CHUD too late to be familliar with the original FOTR thread, but I'm interested in reading Mikah's take. Time to hit the archives...

Saved you some work:

These two threads let you know where my head was at going into the film:

<a href="http://66.118.172.75/board/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=005414&p=" target="_blank">http://66.118.172.75/board/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=005414&p=</a>

<a href="http://66.118.172.75/board/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=005520&p=" target="_blank">http://66.118.172.75/board/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=005520&p=</a>

This thread’s a great example of the “I’m pre-disposed to LOTR being great, and if you aren’t, you suck!” thing I refer to:

<a href="http://66.118.172.75/board/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=005038&p=" target="_blank">http://66.118.172.75/board/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=005038&p=</a>

And finally, here’s the first discussion thread (this link goes to page 2, where I first posted my opinion of the film):

<a href="http://66.118.172.75/board/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=005592&p=2" target="_blank">http://66.118.172.75/board/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=005592&p=2</a>
You're too good to me Mikah. Looks like my afternoon is planned...
Be sure to return to read Nick and Steve loving the film. I plan to.
For a guy who is not gonna see the movie, Micah sure posts enough about it.

I kid, I kid...
Quote:

Jacob Singer:

I kid, I kid...

It's okay...I'll talk about the LOTR phenomenon as long as I think I have something relevant to add to the discussion, but there's nothing I can say specifically about TTT, and me not seeing it will do nothing to alter that.
Quote:

Call:
I dunno. I think my anticipation level is much higher this time around.

Having never read the books I was not *exactly* sure what to expect going into Fellowship. I had to be converted in those 3 hours. And I was. Big time.

So my excitement is nearing fever pitch. Unfortunately it has to wait until the Saturday after opening.

Well with Fellowship I just couldnt wait because it looked amazing and I wanted really bad to see if the movie could work on even any level, and I loved the hell out of it.
With the Two Towers I know I'll love it and it will be great so there is less impatience.

But I do feel giddy in the trailer with the shot of the orcs rising on the ladders towards the wall, heeh heeh.
You've actually been quite a spectacular addition to the LOTR threads, and have helped me look with a more'critical' eye to things that my fanboy-ism may have let me gloss over.

Now who do I gotta blow to sneak into that 2 o'clock Two Towers preview?
Above post referencing Micah, of course...
I was just astonished when I tuned into 96 Rock yesterday in between CDs and heard them GIVING tickets away to the screening today.
Quote:

Jacob Singer:

I kid, I kid...

He's in denial. Give him a break. He'll break out of it one of these days.
Quote:

mikah912:
I was just astonished when I tuned into 96 Rock yesterday in between CDs and heard them GIVING tickets away to the screening today.

They were giving at least four away yesterday on Q100 as well. I wish I had the tickets. You know I loved FOTR. I only hope that I like TTT just as much. I really don't want to be too excited and then be disappointed. I wonder what will happen?

Quote:

Jacob Singer:
Above post referencing Micah, of course...

The first or second paragraph?
If it's the second, cool....but he's only got 29 minutes, and I don't like that to be rushed.
I'm just impressed that a film that doesn't even open wide for a couple of more weeks already has a 50+ post total in it's discussion thread.

This reminds me that a thirst to see what others were saying about Fellowship is what drove me to visit these message boards for the first time.
Quote:

Call:
I'm just impressed that a film that doesn't even open wide for a couple of more weeks already has a 50+ post total in it's discussion thread.

Don't forget about Equilibrium, which has a lot less buzz, but already more posts in it than 98 percent of the current films we discuss here at CHUD.
As we type, the lights are dying and Nick is about to see The Two Towers.

FUCK HIM!
Looking forward to the CHUDthoughts on the screening. I enjoyed FOTR when I saw it in theaters, but something about the extended edition really grabbed me like crazy. Can't wait for TTT now. Hope it delivers.
Quote:

mikah912:
Don't forget about Equilibrium, which has a lot less buzz, but already more posts in it than 98 percent of the current films we discuss here at CHUD.

That still amazes me. What'll be even more remarkable is when more people have seen the film and we can have an actual DISCUSSION as opposed to the fortunate few telling the rest of us, "you NEED to see this movie".
It's all lies. Nick is now watching MAID IN MANHATTAN for what is disturbingly his sixth viewing in four days. An intervention may be necessary.
Yeah...that does suck.

All of America should've seen it months ago, but apparently Dimension's promotional department this year was capable of little else but handling the twin juggernauts, Halloween: Resurrection and They.

And Lord knows, those films lay waste to everything at the box office when they dropped. Bravo, Dimension/Miramax.

Kurt just made me angrier today when he said they're only releasing it now because they're contractually obligated, and like the Mimic films, Miramax/Dimension will probably do some cheap crap sequels.
I don't see how they can feel that a sci-fi kung fu actioner can't make some money for them. Do they hate the movie?
Wait. They made a second 'Lord of the Rings' movie?
I´m not in a good mood. I was supposed to see The Two Towers today but the screening was delayed.
I will although see the film this week.
Dimension is doing the stupid thing. Later, they'll wonder why they're movies don't make money.

Back to TTT, I'm curious as to what this will take opening weekend. FOTR had a 5-day take of $75 million. I'm betting it'll take slightly more due to FOTR's cliffhanger.
Right now Nick has quite the large smile on his face.

At least there is a 99.9999999999% chance tht he does.
Quote:

CTDeLude:

I'm gonna say it's 100 percent due to the fact that he and Steve are relatively alone sitting right next to each other in a darkened room.
Quote:

Matt Goldberg:
Back to TTT, I'm curious as to what this will take opening weekend. FOTR had a 5-day take of $75 million. I'm betting it'll take slightly more due to FOTR's cliffhanger.

I underestimated the last one (I thought it'd do $250 million), but I think this one will make around what I predicted last time.

This year, it actually has some real competition, and I don't the mainstream audience will be as big either.

I'm predicting a huge opening, but I think it'll finish up around $220-250 million.
Quote:

Matt Goldberg:

I think it will have quite a healthy opening, perhaps over $80 million.

And I also think it won't drop off as much as "the sequel rule" usually indicates. And not nearly as much as the latest HARRY POTTER dropped off from last year's.

I can see TTT bringing in a VERY respectable $275-300 million. My best guess would be about a $290 million total.

Looks to be a little more competition for it than last year, and Nick's recent article about the lack of time between the releases has merit. Many folks simply haven't had time to whet more appetites. But the critical, artistic, and popular success and the promise that TTT will be more of the same all but guarantees it'll do some more great business. I don't see it matching or topping FOTR box office wise, but it could come close.
Quote:

CTDeLude:

Evidently Jacob found the answer to his question, above (second paragraph of the post to Mikah).

Apologies all around if this offended in any way...
They like each other quite a bit, huh?
Quote:

Tony Bag o'donuts:
They like each other quite a bit, huh?

Steve is his best friend in the whole wide world.

They REALLY like each other a lot.
Quote:

Clarence Beaks:
It's all lies. Nick is now watching MAID IN MANHATTAN for what is disturbingly his sixth viewing in four days. An intervention may be necessary.

Definite nomination for Post of the Day.