The Two Towers discussion
Quote:

CTDeLude:
Quote:

mikah912:
Quote:

Tony Bag o'donuts:
They like each other quite a bit, huh?

Steve is his best friend in the whole wide world.

They REALLY like each other a lot.

Catherine know about this situation?

And you mean to tell me they are all alone in that theatre?

Gah the best kind of movie experience.

Steve and Nick.....Chud's own Sam and Frodo.

Quote:

Smirk-quilibrium:
But it was pretty funny flak, wasn't it?

Not as funny as the Mercier_KOTB Clone who registered on AICN as 'Bow-Tie-Guy'.

Aaaah...happy days.
alright... i've read this whole thread now, and i'm dying to see this movie... dying. and i want to know what nick thinks of it. i'm leaving in 30 minutes, so i hope he puts something up soon.
At what point will we reach the - 'Ebert is a <insert expletive here>'?
Quote:

Bagpuss:

Welcome back... I think...
Quote:

Fett:
Quote:

Bagpuss:

Welcome back... I think...

Thankyou, and nice to be back Mr. Fett, even if I do feel a touch ... diminished.
Dammit, I so want to see TTT right now, at this moment. Grrr....
Nick when you read this I just want you to know that CHUD does not look for AICN for thoughts on the movie nor anywhere else. We look to you and you only.

I mean even Micah is sticking in here (though I believe he has bet someone money you'd love this film so he is seeing if the bet paid off)
Quote:

CTDeLude:
....though I believe he has bet someone money you'd love this film so he is seeing if the bet paid off)

Nobody is that stupid. wink

And welcome back, Orange.

I can see it now:

Movie Webmaster faces six-months for TTT fracas.

Nick Nunziata, movie critic and owner of popular website CHUD.COM was today remanded in custody for punching a MTV cameraman in the face at a press screening of Peter Jackson’s latest epic: The Two Towers. Witness reports suggest that Mr. Nunziata had to be physically restrained by four police officers …
The thing that bothers me the most is the fact that 7 chapters of TTT is going to be in ROTK. And these are great chapters, and it's a shame they couldn't fit the Voice of Saruman into TTT. But I guess that's why PJ feels confident in saying ROTK will be the best of the 3.
Oooh look Mr. Nunziata has returned.
Quote:

Bagpuss:
Quote:

Smirk-quilibrium:
Screw Nick.

I'm waiting in breathless anticipation of the review from Empire Magazine, so she can tell us the further exploits of "the Bow Guy" ...

Now there's a blast of nostalgia; that poor woman sure copped some flak.

I checked her site. She left this on her message board:

Quote:

Well I already saw TTT which was Ok (and is all the comments I'm allowed to make until it opens)

<a href="http://www.eclipsemagazine.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1219&forum=1" target="_blank">http://www.eclipsemagazine.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1219&forum=1</a>

Oh no! It might suck!
Yeah... did it suck?

Punch any reporters?
I'm not going to fawn all over this film, per se, but I will say this: it is a big, brilliant movie.

If you liked the first film in any way, expect more, multiplied by 10. The action scenes are spectacular in their execution, and the acting is wonderful, with an emphasis on Bernard Hill as Theodin who is wonderful in the part.

As for Gollum, he has turned into my favorite from the film. This is the first near perfect CGI character ever, and Andy Serkis's performance is incredible. I love the character, and could have done with more of him.

For the most part, this is Aragorn's movie, with less emphasis on Frodo and Sam, and even lesser on Merrie and Pippin.

If you disliked Fellowship in any way, you won't like this one any better. It's more of the same, but it doesn't have to concern itself with setting up the story. That was done with the first one and this just opens up at full speed.

The pace is faster, the action more intense (especially Helm's Deep), and the characters fleshed out more.

It is love.
Quote:

Steve Murphy:

As for Gollum, he has turned into my favorite from the film. This is the first near perfect CGI character ever, and Andy Serkis's performance is incredible. I love the character, and could have done with more of him.

I never would have thought I'd see this written about any CGI character. Ever.
So did you like it?

How dark is it? Is it pushing the PG-13 rating?
Steve, is the Oscar talk for Serkis legit? Or is it just a great performance with any Oscar speculation going too far?
[rolling finger likes Montgomery Burns)

EGGGG-CELLENT!!
So... Helm's Deep... awesome?
Quote:

gravedigger41:
Quote:

Steve Murphy:

I never would have thought I'd see this written about any CGI character. Ever.

Neither did I, but he looks almost real for nearly the entire film. There is only maybe one or two scenes where he looks remotely CGI.
Only 15 days remain.

I can survive in one form or another.
I hate MTV's Movie House. It's like AICN meets Siskel and Ebert for the retarded, and not as cool. And the host needs to be hung upside down by his toes now.
What is king of the ring?

Helm's deep

Mines of Moria

Ents VS. Isengard
Quote:

Verbal Kint:
Steve, is the Oscar talk for Serkis legit? Or is it just a great performance with any Oscar speculation going too far?

Before seeing the film, I would never have said it would be legit, but it could be considered as such. I don't know if it's realistic, but with some of the performances this year, it isn't out of the question. He is really good.

And Helms Deep is fantastic.
Hows Treebeard?
Quote:

mecha superior:
What is king of the ring?

Helm's deep

Mines of Moria

Ents VS. Isengard

All are great, but if I had to choose, it would probably be Helms Deep, simply because it is fresh in my mind.

But the Ents vs. Isengard has some great stuff in it as well, what with Orcs getting booted like soccer balls about the place.
Treebeard is good. There isn't a character or performance in the film that could possibly be considered bad.

Well, maybe some people won't like Gollum simply because he's CGI, but that's to be expected.
How was the cross-cutting of narratives?

Smooth as silk?
Yeah, it works quite well. The only thing I had a problem with at first was Aragorn's dream bits with Arwen, only because I wasn't expecting it at first. Probably the only casualty is Merrie and Pippin, as they aren't in it near as much as the first one, but they still play a very big role in the Isengard battle.
It has passed

That was no doubt the quickest 3 hours I've ever spent in my life in a movie theater. Whereas FOTR (The Fellowship of the Ring, in case you're a a reader of a certain website and lacking an intelligence rating of 2 or above) was leisurely and deliberate in its pacing (for good reason), this one flies. It absolutely flies.

I will unleash no spoilers about stuff, though I will mention performances or broad comments about sequences.

The film starts off running and it ends abrupt. That will be a bone of contention for the detractors for sure. It starts off full on and does not relent. When it ends, the yearlong wait seems ENDLESS, because you're hungry for more. In that respect it does not feel like a separate film. In fact, this is another film that does not follow the three act structure, though the decisions made regarding the books are wise from a cinematic perspective. The Two Towers book is rambling and slow, this is like an adrenalin shot to the left ventricle.

Is it better than FOTR? To me, it's hard to say. For the first half, I was loving it but felt it was not as rich or memorable but it all fell into place so well and effectively that when I look back at the first half I love it dearly. When I saw the first film, I was numb afterwards. I didn't know what had happened, and I didn't want to move, just kind of bask in it.

That's how I felt here. It's just as special.

I don't want to steal the thunder of my review, so here's some bullet points:
-&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/li&gt;[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Bernard Hill deserves a supporting actor nod.
-[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Gollum is incredible. Steve felt he was photorealistically human. I felt he was unreal, but in a great way. He was expressive, and delivered a true PERFORMANCE. His interaction with his environment was damn near flawless. The high water mark has been set, and it's quite high. I think the reason is that they focused completely on the character and not neat tricks they could do with it. Excellent.
-[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> The Ents just plain rock the house. The way their stuff is interspersed with the Helm's Deep stuff and the rest of the film grounds it, gives it moments of warmth and ease in what is essentially a very macabre and dark tale.
-[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Gimli is awesome. Yes he provides some lighter moments, but they are wonderful lighter moments. His character is the one that gets a much needed boost here.
-[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Helm's Deep. Believe the hype.
-[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> There will be no complaints that this film lacks action. It's loaded. It also feels more epic because they blaze from subplot to subplot, never giving any of them short shrift.
-[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> FOTR has an edge in the fact that there's quite a bit more Gandalf. McKellen's warmth and strength was a major aspect of the first and it's lack here (though he does have some great stuff here too) forces part of the burden to be spread around.
-[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Legolas kicks no shortage of ass and is given some great moments of interaction with Aragorn and Gimli.
-[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> The complaint that the villains were too easy to kill and faceless can go out the window now. There is a GREAT scene early on in the film that gives the Orcs and Uruk-Hai depth and builds tension between them. Also, they finally show some grit in Helm's Deep.
-[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> This film is dark as shit, did I mention that?
-[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Liv Tyler's inclusion is kind of unnecessary, but because it keeps Elrond in the mix I can't hate that.
-[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Miranda Otto. Yes, please!
-[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Viggo is growing in leaps and bounds. You will totally buy him as a king by the time this story is done.
-[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Wargs are cool (GREAT idea to make them look raunchy and matted and unclean, the problem with CGI hair is usually how perfect it is). Fell Riders... not exactly what I expected, by beautiful. Oliphaunts... cool scene, kind of spooky to see such massive beasts.
-[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Eomer (Karl Urban) rocks, Faramir (David Wenham) was good but nothing special. Impossible to top Sean Bean.
-[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> The Wargs vs. Theoden's men is a favorite scene of mine. Very fast, very violent, a few great imli moments.
-[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Shadowfax gets much better treatment then Bill the Pony did, deservedly.
-[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Brad Dourif, appropriately slimy.
-[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Unlike in the first film, Frodo and Sam's story is secondary. I found the stuff regarding humans and elves MUCH more compelling.
-[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Merry and Pippin, good to see them do more than be damsels in distress.
-[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> The opening scene with the mountain is BRILLIANTLY imagined.

I could go on for hours, but suffice it to say that this is a wonderful and magical film. At this moment I like FOTR better but I've seen it a dozen times. It IS the Empire Strikes Back of the series for sure. When I get back from dinner (starving) I will post more, answer your posts, and share other things that hit my head.

If I were forced to assign a number score to it, I'd give it a 9.3 where FOTR is a 9.7.

However, there's less singing and eating and walking and talking here. This is a film serious about its business, and that business is WAR.

I will post my question again:

How dark is it? Is it pushing the PG-13 rating?
Does it have a shot in hell of being nominated for Best Picture? You know, breaking a sequel stigma.
Quote:

Nick Nunziata:
However, there's less singing and eating and walking and talking here. This is a film serious about its business, and that business is WAR.

I expect to see that on the DVD cover.