Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Behold the spider-cricket
Quote:

Originally Posted by Codename View Post

Oh thank god.

-gorges self on bananas-

Just be careful of the boner spiders!

And yes, of course spiders cant/dont hide IN bananas, but they do hide ON bananas....but the gif was too good not to share.

http://i.imgur.com/ldprecg.gifv

DAMMIT TZU

What? It's a mama and her babies.

AIf spiders didn't exist and some author described one in a novel, they would be hailed for so acutely describing what evil looks like.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike's Pants View Post

If spiders didn't exist and some author described one in a novel, they would be hailed for so acutely describing what evil looks like.

One of my greatest nerd fears is the possibility that if we ever are visited by aliens, coming in peace and willing to share their knowledge, is that they might end up being revealed as a race of giant spiders, and we will inevitable trigger interstellar war just because of that.

Because, seriously, First Contact with giant spiders? Screw that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryoken View Post

One of my greatest nerd fears is the possibility that if we ever are visited by aliens, coming in peace and willing to share their knowledge, is that they might end up being revealed as a race of giant spiders, and we will inevitable trigger interstellar war just because of that.

A[quote name="ryoken" url="/community/t/107576/behold-the-spider-cricket/1500#post_3968488"]One of my greatest nerd fears is the possibility that if we ever are visited by aliens, coming in peace and willing to share their knowledge, is that they might end up being revealed as a race of giant spiders, and we will inevitable trigger interstellar war just because of that.
Because, seriously, First Contact with giant spiders? Screw that.[/quote]
It's okay, there's no way that wouldn't end up like V anyway.

'It was alive and very wriggly. It was quite big too. It must have been twice as big as it first looked'

Goddammit, I knew I should not have clicked on that link. I told myself, 'What good could possibly come from that?' Look at where you are! It's the Spider Cricket Thread O' Horrors. It's not the Cute Animal thread. No, that would be something. They wouldn't post something like that thing there, now would they? But nooooo...just had to let your curiosity get the best of you. How have you not managed to Darwin yourself out of existence is beyond me at this point, my lord.

We have a new tarantula, and this one takes its butt bristles (I'm going to pretend that's a technical term since the ​Times​ is using it) right into you instead of flicking them:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/30/scienc...r&_r=0

Quote:

This is Kankuamo marquezi, and it jabs its butt bristles, or urticating hairs, straight into its foes.

Just when you thought spiders were out of ways to creep you out.

ASaw a spider catch a bee on my front porch today. Biggest spider I've seen in San Deigo since I moved here, it was about the size of a half-dollar. Pretty too, in its own terrifying sort of way. I know there are tarantulas native to Southern California that can dwarf this little spider, but I'm happy to say I've never seen one in the wild (and hope it stays that way).

[Image: 800]

Edit- A Google search for native spiders makes me pretty sure it's a species called "Argiope Argentata" or the Silver Argiope.
AI saw a wasp fly away with a dragonfly's head the other day. The most metal thing I've seen in a long time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/huge...c62484c203

A Huntsman Spider.  Doesn't build webs, it prefers to chase its prey down.

So there's this now... nature is learning to trick us.

I present to you, the Bunny Harvestman.

Ahttp://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/stomach-churning-moment-vet-squeezes-11199501

Goddammit, Tzu.

Why the hell do I subscribe to this post.  I consider myself pretty stout of constitution but damn that is so nasty   I am happy I checked the boards after lunch today.   F.Eewwwwwwwwww Tzu.

What's more disturbing is the smile on the vets face as she gleefully removes them my the handful.

ARead about this in a book and thought "nah, can't be real".

Zombie fungus

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocor...ilateralis

infects ants of the Camponotini tribe, with the full pathogenesis being characterized by alteration of the behavioral patterns of the infected ant. Infected hosts leave their canopy nests and foraging trails for the forest floor, an area with a temperature and humidity suitable for fungal growth; they then use their mandibles to affix themselves to a major vein on the underside of a leaf, where the host remains until its eventual death.The process leading to mortality takes 4–10 days, and includes a reproductive stage where fruiting bodies grow from the ant's head, rupturing to release the fungus's spores.
AI have a friend who is a molecular biologist and he says that fungi are what we really should be afraid of rather than bacteria or insects. He told me they can do some very strange things and the "roots" of fungi can be so small that they can litterally enter a cell's nucleus and mess with a cell's DNA.
A[quote name="Andy Bain" url="/community/t/107576/behold-the-spider-cricket/1500#post_4383652"]Read about this in a book and thought "nah, can't be real".

Zombie fungus

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocor...ilateralis

infects ants of the Camponotini tribe, with the full pathogenesis being characterized by alteration of the behavioral patterns of the infected ant. Infected hosts leave their canopy nests and foraging trails for the forest floor, an area with a temperature and humidity suitable for fungal growth; they then use their mandibles to affix themselves to a major vein on the underside of a leaf, where the host remains until its eventual death.The process leading to mortality takes 4–10 days, and includes a reproductive stage where fruiting bodies grow from the ant's head, rupturing to release the fungus's spores.[/quote]

Watch Planet Earth.
The last of us, as insane as it is, was very realistic on its zombie Apocalypse ideas.
ALast of Us was a Cordyceps, I believe. The Chupacabra/two brothers episode of The X-Files and Toho's Matango are other great examples of fungi horror.

I don't hold with descriptors, because, you know, descriptions...

But THIS is a mother's love...

For fuck's sake ...

I say we take off and nuke it from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.

Someone turned his tarantula's terrarium into Shelob's lair:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lotr/comments/8...h=134dd697
I approve.
That's an old spider:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/t...mg00000006

Quote:The world’s oldest recorded spider has passed away at the remarkable age of 43 after spending a quiet life underground in Western Australia.

The Giaus Villosus trapdoor matriarch was part of a long-term population study by scientists from Curtin University in order to better understand the impressive life expectancy of trapdoor spiders.

Known only as Number 16 it’s believed she did not die of old age but instead sadly passed away due to a wasp sting.

“To our knowledge this is the oldest spider ever recorded, and her significant life has allowed us to further investigate the trapdoor spider’s behaviour and population dynamics,” said lead author PhD student Leanda Mason.

Number 16 outlived the previous record-holder, a 28-year-old tarantula found in Mexico, by some considerable margin.

The population study was started in 1974 by Barbara York Main and was designed to help scientists learn about how spiders can survive in the Central Wheatbelt region of Western Australia for so long.
The be fair that tarantula died of a massive drug overdose after touring extensively for three years at the behest of his label milking the success of his breakout second album.
Critics agree the posthumous third release was mostly B-sides and unfinished demos hastily cobbled together, but fans ate it up.
So, who wants tarantula tacos?

https://abc7chicago.com/3959026/?ex_cid=...ce=twitter

Quote:Fancy a tarantula taco for a cool $27? Not so fast, Mexican authorities say.

A Mexico City market restaurant recently put the arachnids on its menu and posted a video on Facebook showing a chef torching one until blackened.

The only problem: The Mexican red rump tarantula is a protected species.

The federal environmental protection agency said Tuesday it was alerted to the situation via social media and seized four tarantula corpses that were ready to be served up on tortillas.

The tarantula tacos were apparently on offer for 500 pesos, or 50 times the price of a basic street taco.

The restaurant's menu also features other creepy-crawlies such as grasshoppers, worms and ant eggs, which have a long tradition in Mexican cuisine, and scorpions, which are less common.