Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPEED RACER Discussion
The trailers got both me and my roommate extremely excited to see this, and neither of us cares much about Speed Racer. It just looks so bizarre and unique, how can you not want to see it?

Now I picture a CHUD summer full of "Devin liked Speed Racer more than The Dark Knight!!!" message board wank.
This is a really great summer movie and near perfect family movie. It's got that POTC/Bad Boys 2 problem where it's about 20 minutes too long, but whatever. I was really surprised by the acting. Everyone knew the kind of movie they were in and nailed the tone. This is Matthew Fox's first effective big screen performance. Ricci has never been this good*.

The races are like a mixture between Willy Wonka and the freeway chase from Reloaded. I must have muttered "whoa" at least a dozen times.

But the best thing about the movie is the monkey. If there's a movie or TV show that has ever nailed monkey humor this well I've never seen it.

In short, it's much better than the trailers.

* I also liked her more than when I was 12 and saw Casper. That will only make sense if you're a dude my age.
Yeah, it's ridiculous fun. And if I was 10 years old, it would probably be the single greatest thing ever.

The Wachowskis need to stick with monkey movies from now on. It's clearly their true calling.
I'm taking my son to see it next week, and I've heard nothing but good buzz so far. He's 6 1/2 and loves cars and bright shiny things, so this should be right up his alley.

Going to see Iron Man this weekend to "test drive" it before I take my son to see that as well.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slater
View Post
The Wachowskis need to stick with monkey movies from now on. It's clearly their true calling.

Bring on Lancelot Link!
Wow! Just remembered this flick is also coming out in 8 days in this country and nothing (save for that lenticular poster) has been seen or talked about it AT ALL.

Jesus Christ, What Happens in Vegas (or hopefully, Iron Man's 2nd week) is so gonna destroy this bad...
Turn to a channel showing a kids' show once in a while. There's commercials and tie-ins for this thing EVERYWHERE.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Clark
View Post
Turn to a channel showing a kids' show once in a while. There's commercials for this thing EVERYWHERE.

PsycheOut00 lives in Ishtar.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Clark
View Post
Turn to a channel showing a kids' show once in a while. There's commercials and tie-ins for this thing EVERYWHERE.

Not here. Problem is the GF has this strange fetish of watching kiddies' shows during breakfast on weekends (an hour/ hour and a half or so every saturday AND sunday) and I've yet to see anything Speed Racer-related in or outside commercial breaks. Maybe this will be the weekend, but so far zilch, nada.

And I endure some pretty rough shit during these, y'know?
I wish my son were older so we could go see this together. Just doesn't seem right taking a 4 year old to a movie with the "weak shit" line in it. Not to mention the gunfights/fistfights.

He sure does love the merchandise, though. Toys r us has a ridiculously huge Speed Racer display, which we had to linger over for around 15 minutes the first time he saw it.
I feel the same way Eyeball. My son is going nuts for the merch and wants to see the movie. I just ordered him the first volume of the cartoon. I think/hope that will keep him satisfied.

Of course for me it means even more little cars on the floor. I seem to kick one every morning and can hear it skid along the floor in the dark.
When the family watches Avatar, we can't escape the promos for that abominable new American SPEED RACER cartoon. Looks utterly terrible. The character design, animation, integration of 3D elements, etc. Atleast the original (barely animated) Japanese version was pleasantly drawn and fun to look at.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKMITE8
View Post

So, um, what use would a robotic monkey have for a banana?
Why is the robot monkey holding a ban- oh, fuck it. That new cartoon looks like total shit. I'm looking for traces of human involvement in that art and I just keep coming up empty handed. Say what you will about the original SPEED RACER - it was clearly the product of flesh and blood human beings. This looks like what aliens (or to be fair, robot monkeys) might hypothesize that humans want to see.

EDIT - Dammit, I was beaten to the banana.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattioli
View Post

Whatever that usage is (and I think you know), Speed is sure pleasantly surprised about it.
Darkmite8, Maybe it is a metal banana painted yellow.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey Moore
View Post
I feel the same way Eyeball. My son is going nuts for the merch and wants to see the movie. I just ordered him the first volume of the cartoon. I think/hope that will keep him satisfied.

Of course for me it means even more little cars on the floor. I seem to kick one every morning and can hear it skid along the floor in the dark.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyeball Kid
View Post
I wish my son were older so we could go see this together. Just doesn't seem right taking a 4 year old to a movie with the "weak shit" line in it. Not to mention the gunfights/fistfights.

He sure does love the merchandise, though. Toys r us has a ridiculously huge Speed Racer display, which we had to linger over for around 15 minutes the first time he saw it.

SPOILERS

I GUESS

The movie is totally fine for kids. They only say "shit" once in the whole movie and no one dies. It may be a sensory overload, but I think it's perfectly fine and I'm totally against showing messed up movies to kids. It's basically a Pixar movie plus that line at the end. Seriously, 90% of the movie is Spritle and Chim Chim.
Thanks Bateman. I appreciate that. Gives me some more ammo against his mother and grandmother.
Sean Bateman, It is more likely that your 4 year old will be so entranced by the supercars, the ninja, the boy and his monkey, that he will not know that the word was even said in the film. If he does hear the word, tell him it is a bad word and if he repeats it you and he will be in trouble, and as a result cannot take him to any more films.
Maybe the robotic monkey is powered by Mr. Fusion ™
Quote:

Originally Posted by duke fleed
View Post
Sean Bateman, It is more likely that your 4 year old will be so entranced by the supercars, the ninja, the boy and his monkey, that he will not know that the word was even said in the film. If he does hear the word, tell him it is a bad word and if he repeats it you and he will be in trouble, and as a result cannot take him to any more films.

My four year old was really into Street Kings.
Sean Bateman, He saw Street Kings an R rated film about corrupt cops, and you are worried about him hearing 1 curse word in Speed Racer? To each his or her own, but unless the boy wants to go as The Punisher on Halloween, I am sure all will turn out fine.
Duke Fleed should have his own show like SUPERNANNY.
Fleed makes the case for extreme late term abortion. And I am not talking about Bateman's "kid." Mine prefers The Godfather. And General Hospital.
Superaspie.
duke fleed should stop nibbling on the barrel and pull the trigger.
I assume that he sobs and puts a gun in his mouth while typing every message he posts here.
Wade1, I do not have a gun. Guns probably don't taste good as they are tools not a scratch and sniff toy or a consumeable item. Actually, I usually drink coffee while I post, if you want to know.
Quote:

Originally Posted by duke fleed
View Post
Wade1, I do not have a gun. Guns probably don't taste good as they are tools not a scratch and sniff toy or a consumeable item. Actually, I usually drink coffee while I post, if you want to know.

Okay, Ripoll. I don't have a kid.
I saw it this morning and enjoyed it. That said, I don't know how much others will. It's very much a kids film, but the first hour is very political. The kids in my audience were completely restless, and the movie never completely got them back when the major races started.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Bateman
View Post
* I also liked her more than when I was 12 and saw Casper. That will only make sense if you're a dude my age.

My brother said as much, too. This may make me see this movie.
Liked it a lot. Shorter would be better -- fewer flashbacks, especially in the last 15 minutes. It over-explains everything. But I grinned through most of the non-didactic parts, sometimes wildly.
Yes, I agree with Russ. It feels too long, specially for a kids movie.

The first 10 minutes are awesome, but then it kinda drags for 20 minutes (all the Royalton introduction is slow and boring) But when the second big race starts, it never stops.
Casa Cristo was insane. And damn if the last lap of the Grand Prix wasn't intense.

Performances are Ok, John Goodman and specially Mathew Fox shine here. He really understands the material and runs with it. The little kid steals the movie, not the monkey.
The score is also terrific.

The screening was packed with kids, ranging from 3 year old to 15 year old. The smaller children got kinda bored or frightened by all the noise and visual attack. Many of the smaller ones cried a lot. But from 5 years up, they ate it up.

I'd give it a solid 7. Tighten some of the boring Royalton scenes up and it goes up a point.

Edit: I forgot the Names. The names are Hysterical. Inspector Detector had me laughing for minutes.
I really never thought the Wachowski's would do something like this.

And Shaft rules.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattioli
View Post

Trying to figure out whether or not he's intelligently designed.
Note to everyone:

Find the largest screen within 30 miles of you showing this movie. Go there on Friday.

With this movie, bigger is most certainly better.
Kinda wish I would've gone to the IMAX screening.

It's good. I like how it goes after the culture of cheating in professional sports. And I like that they use a chimpanzee to make their case. Very convincing.