Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPEED RACER Discussion
I'm happy how Stockholm syndrome kicked in after about an hour. Much better than Cats. The shit takes a long time to kick into gear, and the overload means that the car chases are better viewed as pretty than visceral. It's better than Driven, that's for sure.
I can do IMAX in Atlanta, I hope it's still playing in it at the beginning of June.
I can sum this movie up in one word: Mescaline. That's what watching this feels like--especially the last lap of the Grand Prix.

Fun movie, featherweight stuff, and a perfect translation of the show to the screen. But yeah, I advise finding digital projection on the biggest screen available, otherwise you're likely to end up seeing a bunch of blurry day-glo objects knocking around the screen at a million miles per hour.
The only drugs I know are pot, booze, and more pot, but this quote came to mind reading that:

"It's called mescaline, it's the only way to fly."
-The Matrix
Not 'shrooms? This has always struck me as a mushies kinda watch.

Glad to hear positive feedback tho
It kinda looks like taking shrooms or mescaline before watching this movie would fry your visual cortex.
http://chud.com/articles/articles/14...AKE/Page1.html
For the first time, I'm actually intrigued.

But god dammit, all Star Child references make me think of V, not 2001. I suppose that is what defines my intellect. Fuck.
I loved the opening racing against Rex's record.
God, you guys are going to force me to go see this
Do you have kids? Or nieces?
It's really a great family film. And we can geek out on the races.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tati
View Post
Do you have kids? Or nieces?
It's really a great family film. And we can geek out on the races.

No, and most of my friends here at school are too stuffy to even go see Iron Man. They don't "get" action movies, they say. I'll be going to this alone, I think.
Jesus what miserable fuckin school do you go to?
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rain Dog
View Post
Jesus what miserable fuckin school do you go to?

His classmates include Lamont Uppercrust III and Bernard Starchcollar, Jr. Stiffupperlip University?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Fordyce
View Post
His classmates include Lamont Uppercrust III and Bernard Starchcollar, Jr. Stiffupperlip University?

Worse - English postgrads. Who are themselves English.
Quote:

Originally Posted by LlamaRama
View Post
Worse - English postgrads. Who are themselves English.

You can tell them this is an action movie in Godard's UNE FEMME EST UNE FEMME mode, and you won't even be lying.
Yahoo has the first 7 minutes in HD.

They sure seem to go all out marketing on this one. Smells a little bit like desperation since all the projections seem rather discouraging in terms of ticket sales. But I am still curious as hell.
Just saw this in IMAX, high on dxm. I got a little confused at times - not sure if it was because I was high or because there was all this convoluted plot detail. I still had a lot of fun watching all the colors and people making funny faces. 3 stars.
Just got back from a midnight screening and had an absolute blast.

I think it suffers from the late 1st act / early 2nd act pacing problems, but they quickly clear up. I was surprised how little of Emile there was for awhile, they used his younger self to introduce us to him, so when they just dove right in with his adult-self, it was a bit jarring.

Also, the sound mix was a little weak for this kind of movie. I don't think my theater's sound system was the problem, I just wasn't impressed with how they had it mixed. It seemed like they tried to convey the impact and speed of the races through the score rather than through the more effective roaring engine noise. Small complaint, but made the races feel a bit flatter than they needed to.

With all the critiques out of the way, it was a fucking great time. The manipulated focus was really interesting to see, I can't wait to watch some special feature on pulling that off. The races were well staged, and progressed in excitement perfectly. Casting/acting was great. Monkey was nothing but fun. Score was goodness. Since we always seem so intent on name dropping and comparing, I had more fun with this than Iron Man. I think on a critical level, both movies are pretty much on equal footing - I'd even argue that Speed was stronger. There is absolutely nothing in Speed Racer that compares to Robert Downey Jr, but overall I think this is going to stick with me longer. I certainly know what movie I'm most eager to re-watch.

Most powerful impression from the movie though? More Trixie, and more Christina Ricci in general, is good news for everyone.
High on cough syrup? You admit that shit?
Quote:

Originally Posted by stump
View Post
Just saw this in IMAX, high on dxm. I got a little confused at times - not sure if it was because I was high or because there was all this convoluted plot detail. I still had a lot of fun watching all the colors and people making funny faces. 3 stars.

I'm hoping it at least sticks in IMAX past June 1st so I can see it nice and big when I'm back in Atlanta.
Yes devin, it took me a little while but I admit it freely now.
Are you 13? I mean, I can't imagine anyone over the age of 13 getting high on cough syrup unless they have a serious drug problem and are just trying to get high by any means necessary. In which case it would be cool.
I guess I have a drug problem? It doesn't seem like a big deal to me. An easy high, different and more intense than alcohol or weed. It seemed like it might be fun to do while watching a movie that seemed possibly geared towards a drug experience.
I had a blast with this movie and I'm once again impressed by the cinematic prowess of the Wachowskis.
Somewhere, a jealous Robert Rodriguez is smashing tables.
Real surprise. A good 20 minutes too long, but the race scenes are just completely stunning and Foxy is fine. Go and try to see this in Imax, as big as possible.

I bet Paul WS Anderson just shat his pants.
For a good time, read some of the reviews:

David Edelstein: http://nymag.com/movies/reviews/46661/

J. Hoberman: http://www.villagevoice.com/film/081...433809,20.html

Anthomny Lane: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critic...ci_cinema_lane
Also, Susan Sarandon's tits are huge.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegan Dracula
View Post
Somewhere, a jealous Robert Rodriguez is smashing tables.

How right you are. The Wachowski's managed to create a similar tone/aesthetic as Rodriguez's kids films, with images that were just as computer generated yet it still actually felt like a real movie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tati
View Post
Also, Susan Sarandon's tits are huge.

I love the OTS shot of Emile during Speed and Mom's conversation where it's his head in frame-right and just about an inch and a half of her tit on the other side. Just a small bulge of blue popping into frame-left. I'm actually very surprised that they didn't do something to that shot.
Yeah Rodriguez's CGfest family films always felt so empty and dry. Speedracer was fun, innovative and had just enough humanity injected in it to make it an enjoyable film.

Oh, and I hate to be "that guy" but did anyone see Ricci's tatoo slip near the end of the movie? Mmmmmm
34% at Rotten. Maybe too many old critics?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Singer
View Post
34% at Rotten. Maybe too many old critics?

So what's the explanation when the kids don't like it, either?
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Shape
View Post
So what's the explanation when the kids don't like it, either?

They grow up so fast these days.
Old white critics don't know what they're watching.