Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPEED RACER Discussion
WOW!!! The first Racing film which truly revels in the need for Speed...Racer that is. Great film...and the best adaption of an anime-ted series yet. Michael Giacchino delivered a great score worthy of the classic original series theme. The acting was properly over the top, Pops racer crushing the ninja and then calling him a Nonja as they don't make Ninja the way they used to. Emile Hirsch and Matthew Fox were excellent as the brothers Racer. Christina Ricci as Trixie was a performance worthy of many...Cool Beans. Speed Racer is the first Wachowski Brothers film that I truly enjoyed. Hopefully Speed Racer will earn enough to allow for Speed Racer 2 in 2 or 3 years. While The Crucible race was my favorite part of the film...The Duel Between Racer X's Shooting Star and Crusher Block's missile firing Mammoth Car ( also seen in the original anime series) was the best car combat since Michael Knight in K.I.T.T. defeated Garth Knight's Goliath in the 2nd season of Glen A Larson's classic series...Knight Rider. Go Speed Racer Goooooooooo!
Quote:

While The Crucible race was my favorite part of the film...The Duel Between Racer X's Shooting Star and Crusher Block's missile firing Mammoth Car ( also seen in the original anime series) was the best car combat since Michael Knight in K.I.T.T. defeated Garth Knight's Goliath in the 2nd season of Glen A Larson's classic series...Knight Rider. Go Speed Racer Goooooooooo!

That should be on the Dvd cover.
I shot myself in the face after getting through about 1 and a half lines of that. I survived.
I wanted to have him shot in the face after reading that. Christ what a waste of fucking oxygen.

There tomorrow for this with my kid in tow. Not sure though that I know of anyone else even interested in seeing it.
I fucking hate how people latch onto movies like this to be snobs about. So many people, "oh that film looks terrible," "I heard that was crap." It's disappointing when genuine filmmakers make movies that, while certainly far from perfect, are well engineered and designed - yet get shat on because they seem to be an easy target. It's so telling that people latch onto weirder cult films (Donnie Darko, for example) to feel special, then condemn those that don't like it for "not getting it." Yet a film like this - nobody seems to "get."

Snobs suck. Snobs with no taste that don't actually fucking know what they are talking about, suck worse.

By the way, I'm not going after anyone here - this rant is a result of all the shit I've been hearing all day from the people around me.
It worked for me and then it kind of didn't.

The look of the film is really phenomenal, and the racing scenes are very well done, they're kinetic without losing track of the action, without being frustrating like the quick moving action scenes of Transformers, and most of the supporting cast works, but as much as it pains me to say it Emile Hirsch is so damn boring in this movie. I understand he's not a flashy actor, and I appreciate that about him, but when everyone else is having as much fun as they do in this movie he kind of tends to drag the vibe down.

I also really disliked the editing of the flashbacks during the beginning and end races. Jumping in and out of the race that many times just pissed me right off. The first scene's flashes could've been done in about three-five minutes at the start of the film, and the ending flashes could've been done in voice-over. This just killed the momentum of two really important scenes in a big bad way.

I agree that it was too long, but it's another situation where I couldn't tell you what to cut. The kids (all three of em, all screaming their heads off intermittently throughout the film) were extremely antsy in my theater, I don't see this one going over very well with the audience it was intended for.

Oh, and as bad as that Love Guru trailer is, the Meet Dave trailer nearly made me poke my eyes out. Oh God awful.
I'm ashamed to say that as much as I hate the Love Guru trailer, the Meet Dave one made me crack up.

I COULDN'T HELP IT!!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Renn Brown
View Post
I fucking hate how people latch onto movies like this to be snobs about. So many people, "oh that film looks terrible," "I heard that was crap."

Amen Renn. I got the same kind of snobby reaction when I told people about Rambo. I got eye rolls.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82
View Post
I'm ashamed to say that as much as I hate the Love Guru trailer, the Meet Dave one made me crack up.

I COULDN'T HELP IT!!!

You truly are a lesser class of human being.

Alright, so I cracked up at the Love Guru when he put his head in the half-floor office, if only because I was waiting for that to happen for all of Being John Malkovich and it was some kind of release.

I COULDN'T HELP IT EITHER!!!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakespeare
View Post
I also really disliked the editing of the flashbacks during the beginning and end races. Jumping in and out of the race that many times just pissed me right off. The first scene's flashes could've been done in about three-five minutes at the start of the film, and the ending flashes could've been done in voice-over. This just killed the momentum of two really important scenes in a big bad way.

This is a beef that I don't agree with, but totally understand. I've come to love more and more what is becoming the "Wachowski 3rd Act Recap Montage." I think it is inherently a cheap tool but I love the way they use it. In V For Vendetta, to me, it lends a sense of scope and power to the coming climax. It briefly runs through the world of the movie to show the true scale and power of the coming events, and actually makes it feel like a year had passed in the movie. In Speed Racer, it's use is a bit more base - hammering home the importance of the moment for the wee-ones - but the way it's handled allows me to enjoy it. It's presented well within the context and aesthetic of the rest of the film and makes that victory feel pretty cool. Nothing award worthy, but it works,
Jake...

You're ashamed. I'm ashamed.

But together, we can be ashamed together.
Quote:

View Post
You truly are a lesser class of human being.

Alright, so I cracked up at the Love Guru when he put his head in the half-floor office, if only because I was waiting for that to happen for all of Being John Malkovich and it was some kind of release.

I COULDN'T HELP IT EITHER!!!!

I can honestly say Meet Dave made me nearly vomit but Love Guru got me, not with the head in the ceiling, but with the goddamned backing up carpet.

Neither can hold a fucking candle to that fucking chihuahua movie. I would watch both Guru and Dave on loop for a week before I'd watch that trailer again.
Quote:

View Post
This is a beef that I don't agree with, but totally understand. I've come to love more and more what is becoming the "Wachowski 3rd Act Recap Montage." I think it is inherently a cheap tool but I love the way they use it. In V For Vendetta, to me, it lends a sense of scope and power to the coming climax. It briefly runs through the world of the movie to show the true scale and power of the coming events, and actually makes it feel like a year had passed in the movie. In Speed Racer, it's use is a bit more base - hammering home the importance of the moment for the wee-ones - but the way it's handled allows me to enjoy it. It's presented well within the context and aesthetic of the rest of the film and makes that victory feel pretty cool. Nothing award worthy, but it works,

I can't remember the specific example you're using from Vendetta, although I like that movie a lot so I probably didn't find fault with it.

My beef with Speed Racer is not the fact that they flashback, it felt appropriate that they did and I fully expected them to, it's just the frequency and amount of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82
View Post
Jake...

You're ashamed. I'm ashamed.

But together, we can be ashamed together.

The movies haven't even come out yet and we're forming support groups, this must be a sign of apocalyptic awfulness to come.

You bring the coffee, I'll bring the cookies.
Quote:

View Post
I can't remember the specific example you're using from Vendetta, although I like that movie a lot so I probably didn't find fault with it.

My beef with Speed Racer is not the fact that they flashback, it felt appropriate that they did and I fully expected them to, it's just the frequency and amount of it.

In V it was the Domino montage that preceded the "plan" going forward. They also did it in Reloaded right before the "plan" that was the climax of that movie ("All of our lives, we have fought this war..."Wink, though that was made up of new scenes rather than flashbacks.
Sue me, but I had more fun with this than I did than Iron Man. I'm almost surprised at just how good this one was, and that has a lot to do with how much I cared about the family. Too many people give passes to films like Transformers that to see what could've easily been a "Cars go Fast" kind of film that for the film to have as much heart was a welcome treat (going so far to say that I enjoyed some of family stuff more than the actual racing). If nothing else, the Wachowskis did something I never thought could be done: I really liked the kid and didn't want him to wander onto the tracks and get taken out early on in the movie.
Quote:

View Post
In V it was the Domino montage that preceded the "plan" going forward. They also did it in Reloaded right before the "plan" that was the climax of that movie ("All of our lives, we have fought this war..."Wink, though that was made up of new scenes rather than flashbacks.

Right! I did like that scene in Vendetta. Thank you.
Back from apparently one of only two IMAX theaters playing this in England.

Brilliant, and to me more of thrill than Iron Man which was so by the numbers save for Downey. The head swipes and cuts where really nifty but used a bit too much. I really want to get some old school Adidas's and role my jeans now as well. The score was good when you could hear it, which was not most of the time. I think Emile Hirsch was about perfect, he played it slightly more warm than the cartoon, but you could tell he cared. The Speed as kid with Trixie sequence was my favourite bit. Anybody else notice the one track with the Zoetrope like Giraffe on the wall, pure brilliance.

I bet it will get a huge following on DVD.
Yes, only a SNOB would not appreciate a lifeless but loud, dumb Dayglo nightmare bloated with unwarranted grandiosity. This will please the fleeds and the people who are more fleed-ish than you expect, who will clap their hands at the pretty colors and laugh at the fat kid passing out from eating too much candy. It's not entertainment, it's just a bunch of noise. It's frentic and busy but it lacks juice, it's too empty even for summer blockbuster fare is what I'm saying here.
The movie has more soul and family dynamics at its core than many dramas.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BHWW
View Post
Yes, only a SNOB would not appreciate a lifeless but loud, dumb Dayglo nightmare bloated with unwarranted grandiosity. This will please the fleeds and the people who are more fleed-ish than you expect, who will clap their hands at the pretty colors and laugh at the fat kid passing out from eating too much candy. It's not entertainment, it's just a bunch of noise. It's frentic and busy but it lacks juice, it's too empty even for summer blockbuster fare is what I'm saying here.

I was going to say that my point didn't preclude anyone from rationally criticizing the film, and that it was more relating to people that just dismissed it because it looked like an easy movie to shit on. Then I reread your post and realized you proved my point.
As someone with no great affinity for the cartoon, the Wachowskis or "loud, dumb Dayglo nightmares," this movie kicked my ass. Pure joy. But no, this isn't going to make a lot of money; the kids did get a little antsy (though everyone went nuts for the races and the hand-to-hand fight scenes). At points it seemed like the parents were having more fun.

I just don't get the reception for this. If ACTUAL dumb movies can get lukewarm receptions (I predict the "Narnia" movie, for example, will fare significantly better--or at least, receive politer reviews) and a superhero movie equally as fun can get almost universal praise, I don't see why everyone chose THIS as their beginning-of-summer whipping boy.
Quote:

View Post

The Wachowski's also did it in Bound where you see the actual execution of the caper as Gina Gershon explains it to Jennifer Tilly. It was totally engrossing there.

In Matrix Reloaded, I just didn't care about the 'caper'. What was it? Blowing up a nuclear reactor? Well Pinkett Smith handled that pretty quickly. Big explosion with so little consequence!

The V for Vendetta sequence was very cool though. Knocking down dominos is so much more engrossing than explosions.
The family elements go a long way towards lifting this from something that should've been a loud noises and bright colors movie (IE Transformers) to something with a lot more substance and heart than I was prepared for. It's not going to win any screen writing awards or anything, but there's a lot more meat on the bone than other films like it.
If there was one word to describe this film. It would be "Vivid".

I've got to admit this was visually stunning and something I hadn't really seen before which was essentially an anime played out with real actors. Essentially if Lupin the III ever gets off the ground. I imagine it'll look like that.

Also I enjoyed the fact it wasn't played for camp despite the silliness of it all. And the fact I got to see the cartoon equivalent of a piece of meat with a bone sticking out of it depicted in real life by the Australian Joe Viterilli. That all laws of physics were violated, that Ricci is essentially a real life anime character and that Speed Racer went so fast he went plaid.

Very entertaining stuff indeed.

Also this movie is certainly going to inspire a new generation to drop acid.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tati
View Post
Also, Susan Sarandon's tits are huge.

As I mentioned this during the LA gathering, Goodman had some sizable man hooters himself.

But yeah the score was aces. And I would also call this "F-Zero: The Movie". Oh and every time the jacks were used it kept reminding me of Curly every time he went "Nyuck Nyuck Nyuck".
My impressions? Two-hour Technicolor aneurysm. While being pelted with Skittles and molested by Oompa-Loompas. Yet, a strangely positive experience.

As noted elsewhere, Matthew Fox's 'dubbed-into-English' cadence worked perfectly. It would have been unbearable if the whole cast had done it that way though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Fordyce
View Post
But god dammit, all Star Child references make me think of V, not 2001.

See, before I read the article I thought this was going to be another crack about Christina Ricci's forehead.

Quote:

View Post
Most powerful impression from the movie though? More Trixie, and more Christina Ricci in general, is good news for everyone.

Yes, I was pissed that we didn't get a proper look at that red jumper outfit she's wearing in the 'lovers' lane' scene. The purple helicopter costume is pretty hot too, but again not a single good shot of her in it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerhead
View Post
The purple helicopter costume is pretty hot too, but again not a single good shot of her in it.

Not true! The one shot we get of her in the helicopter, dutch angel, pointed upward where she shifts the gears or whatever - I want the YTMND loop of that immediately. That being said, yes, not nearly enough of her.
Quote:

View Post
Not true! The one shot we get of her in the helicopter, dutch angel, pointed upward where she shifts the gears or whatever

Five frames, I think. Future screencap for sure.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerhead
View Post
Five frames, I think. Future screencap for sure.

And by the way.... it was 12.
Yeah, a full and interesting shot of her in the nightie would of been nice, but the brothers had some weird Leone close up fetish going on so its understandable

And the whole Wallstreet angle works better than I expected, I have expected Stamp to show up and outbid Allam for the Japanese company, and Hirsch to get punched by Allam in the middle of the race track at the end before he was dragged to jail.

And I will say it now lets give the Wachoski's Star Blazers
Sharpel007, I second the Idea of a Wachoski Brothers Starblazers. Unless they want to call it Space Battleship Yamato...the name of the Japanese anime series.
I enjoyed this immensely. It was literally dazzling. I worked on all sorts of levels: as a family film, as an action movie, as a digital effects showcase and as a Christina Ricci fetish film. I had a blast watching this. If there is any justice (which there isn't) this should be up for several tech Oscars next year, production design and sound, at minimum.

I want the arcade, sit-down-and-drive console game of this immediately.
Estimates for Friday less than six million... placed BEHIND What Happens in Vegas.
That doesn't surprise me. I was in a little podunk theater in podunk Missouri and we had maybe a third of the seats filled. I registered my surprise (for some unexplainable reason) to the podunk popcorn jockey at the concession stand and he nodded sagely.

"People around here don't want to see it. They're purists, and it doesn't follow the cartoon enough"

Bootheel movie purists. Uh-huh.

I thought it was fun. Half hour too long, but a good flick.
Nikki Finke can go fuck a kite.