Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPEED RACER Discussion
Just a fun, fun movie. Just got back. Maybe I enjoyed it a little more than most since I had a 4 year old on my lap who during the race sequences kept saying "Go Speed Racer" and singing the song.

It is a shame this movie isn't doing better. I really don't want to hear another conservative complain Hollywood doesn't make family movies. This is a film which completely embraces the family.

I like the flashbacks. I thought they worked.

And Finke really does relish cartoon/comic book films falling to much. She also completely got Iron Man wrong and seemed to do whatever she could to say it wasn't going to perform well.
If it's wrong to be nearing 30 and to have no children and to still love this movie, then I guess you can sue me. I'm not familiar at all with the cartoon, but this was a thrilling, fun experience that will certainly be unlike anything else I see this year. The plotting was a bit muddled, and it could have had a good 15 minutes shaved off here and there, but those flaws are overshadowed by the Technicolor greatness on display.
I adore this movie. What shocked me the most is that although the visual feast it laid out was terrific, the heart of the film was so big and the family was so dynamic that it pretty much melted me. There's no cynicism in the thing.

It's the first film this year that I think I have to see again. I loved this. More than IRON MAN, to be honest. And yet, I totally understand if people don't like it. It just really, really worked for me.
I thought it was good fun.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorenzo DiBonaventura, on The Iron Giant

"People always say to me, 'Why don't you make smarter family movies?' The lesson is, Every time you do, you get slaughtered."

Goddamn the general public.

I love this movie. No apologies. Condense the first stuttery 20 minutes or so a bit, and you've got a damn near perfect family film on your hands. Everything just WORKS. The family, the races, the "living cartoon" visual style (my favorite little detail: the zebras on the Grand Prix track), the humor (Stroke of Genius #2: Scoring Spritle's sugar high with Freebird), Giacchino's score, Chim-Chim. If there's a complaint, it's that I saw it in IMAX, and the film is sitting there SCREAMING for 3D with every trippy frame.

And I'll follow the crowd: I had more fun with this than Iron Man. No easy feat whatsoever.
It was a silly fun, I took it in at a 9:50 last night back and to the left of a group that was probably trashed out of their skull. Just all over the place, the announcers at the start didn't do it for me save for the one who apparently voiced Speed in the cartoon and there was a touch of fatigue after the big rally with Speed protecting that guy.

Gotta suck to have worked the WB this morning, though I wonder if it fared slightly better with the kids out of school today, shame it fell short of my $35 m prediction. (and Chud's $37m)
Yeah, best score so far this year, easily.
Listening to the soundtrack, I notice some of my favorite cues were trimmed out [as well as the final end credit track, sadly]. Loved the cue when young Speed and Trixie meet after his crash, as well as when Speed tell the story of Rex.

I'll have to scramble to an IMAX before they make way for The Dark Knight or whatever's the next IMAX treat [Shame Pixar never goes for that.]
Now that John Williams is starting to lose it and Goldsmith has passed away, Giacchino is the best working film composer. I downloaded everything he ever did after seeing The Incredibles and I still listen to all of it, even his theme for Medal of Honor is incredible and huge in scope.
I'd agree with that.
Thirded. Love his work.

One of the announcers killed me with a spanish line "Es un demooooonio sobre ruedas".
I just got back from seeing a 7:15 showing that had MAYBE 40 people in the theater, total. This movie will not prove to be a good ROI, I'm sorry.

I must admit to not caring for this movie. I had a tremendous amount of built-in goodwill towards the cartoon and I really, REALLY wanted to like it, but I found it to be an ordeal to sit through. It was very impressive from a technical standpoint, but I found it to be a very cold and uninvolving movie that went on for WAAAAAAAY too long. Christina Ricci has never looked hotter, however...fuscia is her color.
I absolutely loved this. I was worried I would be exhausted after forty minutes, but I just acclimated to the visual and editing language on display instead of tiring of it.
I thought the movie was okay for what it was and while I could appreciate the daring of the visuals, I don't know that I'd want to see too many movies like it. The only thoughts that cross my mind regarding the style is that either
(a)Warner Bros. couldn't interfere because of the power held by the Wachowskis; or
(b)The production method was so complicated that the studio couldn't have understood what was going on in order to interfere.

I find it hard to believe that a major studio would knowingly and willingly spend $100 million to make what amounts to an avant-garde film.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Chocula
View Post
Listening to the soundtrack, I notice some of my favorite cues were trimmed out [as well as the final end credit track, sadly]. Loved the cue when young Speed and Trixie meet after his crash, as well as when Speed tell the story of Rex.

There's a 45 track score floating around the Net, maybe the missing cues are on that.

Loved the movie. The story structure and usage of flashbacks is straight out of TV anime, I would love to see the Wachowskis tackle other franchises. Live action Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann? I would wet myself.
Much better than I expected. When it doesn't try (and fail) to be funny. Once you get used to the style the races are very exciting. Especially the last lap of the Grand Prix was extremely fun. Although I found some of the scenes too Spy Kids 3D for my liking.

And I couldn't help but wish that Iron Man's score was half as good as this one.
Working at a video store, apparently, The Golden Compass has found its audience on DVD. I'm gonna really hope that turns out to be the case for a much more deserving film.

Also, though it's getting hammered overseas too, I can't help but wonder how this film performs in Japan.
I've said it before, This is going to be another Golden Compass, it will kill over seas.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tati
View Post
I've said it before, This is going to be another Golden Compass, it will kill over seas.

It opened at #6 in the UK and #9 in Germany. Not a promising start when it comes to making a killing.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tati
View Post

I went at a really family friendly hour and there were exactly 5 people in the theater. Anecdotal I know but I don't think it's going to do well at all.
According to Love HK Film it's a major flop in Hong Kong.
So much fun. That fucking monkey.
Also, GIANT HEAD CROSSES SCREEN should be our new wailing sax.
Was it me or did Inspector Detector's accent slide all over the place as if you couldn't nail down just where the hell he was from. I mean for a brief second I thought it was Johnny Depp doing a cameo.
I was too busy laughing at the name INSPECTOR DETECTOR to stop and pay attention.
Hey I agree but I just couldn't help noticing. That and Richard Roundtree showing up. Greatness!
Movie is so much fun. I normally hate children's films, but this is great. I honestly had more fun with this than with Iron Man, which I also loved. Non-ja killed me.
This was one of the few times I could see a character wear a studded white belt and thought he didn't look like a tool.
What an absolute fucking blast. This movie had me the second we see young Speed racing with his drawings.

It's like Kill Bill for kids.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Clark
View Post
Goddamn the general public.... If there's a complaint, it's that I saw it in IMAX, and the film is sitting there SCREAMING for 3D with every trippy frame.

Yep. Just got back from the local IMAX, maybe about 30 people for the first show. Though I think if it was in 3D, my eyeballs would have imploded about 10 minutes in. Giacchino's score is great, just a whole lot of fun.

Seriously considering going again, before Kung Fu Panda moves in on June 6.

I hope the video game doesn't suck...
I'm surprised the movie made twenty million dollars opening weekend considering how mind-numblingly, incoherently awful the trailers were.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlord
View Post
I'm surprised the movie made twenty million dollars opening weekend considering how mind-numblingly, incoherently awful the trailers were.

Really. I agree. I can only hope, for the sake of being an asshole, that this movie tanks overseas too.

garbage
I made a very last minute decision to see this with friends, and I don't regret it at all. I was never really interested in the cartoon, but the Wachowski's created a film that truly does pop, creating a relentless onslaught of eye candy that manages to steer clear of being grossly obnoxious despite it all. It's a bit unfortunate that audiences aren't interested in rewarding the brothers for what they've done here, but I don't believe this film will be allowed to slink into obscurity, it's box-office fate feels like a setup for a cult following at least.

In the somewhat negative column, I have to confess, I wasn't all that into the monkey. *Ducks Chim-Chim cookies*
I didn't like the monkey either. He and the little boy wore thin for me. The only sequence I enjoyed involving those two was the freak out driving through the factory. Other than that I kind of cringed whenever they popped up. Especially when the kid is getting into the candy, I didn't understand why the monkey was grabbing his crotch in that scene.

I did really enjoy the movie though. It was a great time and the audience I was watching with was great as well, clapping and shouting at appropriate times.
How can you not like the monkey? Are you inhuman? Everyone loves a monkey.