Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clive Barker's Nightbreed
I love how Decker is made even more disturbing by the fact that he believes the mask is telling him what to do. One thing I'd like to know is how exactly he came across that mask, or if he made it.
Under $10? Damn, that is a hell of a deal.

I might have to go looking for a copy myself now - creature compendiums are just about the best things ever haha

Thanks for all the info MITE!
Darkmites, could you post the image of Baphomet's 2 page Backstory? I would really appreciate it.
The images above in the thread from the book are from google, but here's the text from Baphomet's particular page:

"The origins of Midian's founding God, Baphomet, the spirit in stone, are shrouded in so much confusion that any assessment of his true nature is impossible. This is not, indisputably, the same Baphomet for the adoration of which the Knights Templar were persecuted. Many of the Breed believe he is related to the entity the naturals call the Devil. In essence, it is the assumption of this faction that Baphomet is a fallen pretender to some celestial throne, and that under the guise of gathering the Breed together, the God is in fact assembling an army for storming the citadel he was exiled from.
The God's silence on this and every other matter is perfect proof of his power."

I'll see what I can do about getting a pic up.
Thanks, Darkmites.

I've got the Making-of Book and script, but I never knew NIGHTNREED Chronicles even existed till now. You're real fortunate.
Bad news* on the additional footage:

http://www.clivebarker.info/morenightbreed.html

Morgan Creek: “So I have a bit of sad news to relay. After MUCH digging, hunting and trying our best to unearth where (if at all) the missing Nightbreed footage might be, we’ve come up empty handed. Therefore, that VHS that was screened at the convention is the ONLY footage that exists of a director’s cut.”

Revelations: “Wow, that's tough news! A year ago we had no idea whether or not the footage still even existed and it was only when we heard the company knew exactly where it was that we and Clive even got up hopes to be able to construct an extended cut of the movie. Sounds like the initial comments to Mark were unduly optimistic?”

Morgan Creek: “Unfortunately yes – we were wrong about this one.”

There’s not much that can sweeten a blow like this when so many hopes have been so raised…

We’ve given the news to Clive and will be talking more with him about whether this might be a final death knell for a true extended Nightbreed. In the meantime, again prompted by your visible and vocal support, Morgan Creek have offered us access to all the Nightbreed material they have and have granted us permission to pull this together into a comprehensive illustrated anniversary book about the movie. We’ll draw on this as well as on unpublished material in Clive’s archive and we’ve started discussions on whether this package might gain permission to include a release of the workprint too…

* Submitted as news on 8/14
I just ordered the only copy of The Nightbreed Chronicles that was under 10 dollars from Amazon. Really looking forward to reading it. Thanks for bringing it to the attention of the rest of us Nightbreed fans, Darkmite!

Also, I can't believe that the soundtrack c.d. is so expensive. I got it for a few bucks a few years ago.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKMITE8
View Post

Unfortunately yes – we were wrong about this one.” [/I]

There’s not much that can sweeten a blow like this when so many hopes have been so raised…

God fucking dammit.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rene (Mr.Eko)
View Post
Also, I can't believe that the soundtrack c.d. is so expensive. I got it for a few bucks a few years ago.

Yeah, I found mine pretty cheap at a used CD store years ago. I think I probably held it over my head like Link in Legend of Zelda.
Quote:

View Post

Morgan Creek: “So I have a bit of sad news to relay. After MUCH digging, hunting and trying our best to unearth where (if at all) the missing Nightbreed footage might be, we’ve come up empty handed. Therefore, that VHS that was screened at the convention is the ONLY footage that exists of a director’s cut.”

Revelations: “Wow, that's tough news! A year ago we had no idea whether or not the footage still even existed and it was only when we heard the company knew exactly where it was that we and Clive even got up hopes to be able to construct an extended cut of the movie. Sounds like the initial comments to Mark were unduly optimistic?”

Morgan Creek: “Unfortunately yes – we were wrong about this one.”

We’ve given the news to Clive and will be talking more with him about whether this might be a final death knell for a true extended Nightbreed. In the meantime, again prompted by your visible and vocal support, Morgan Creek have offered us access to all the Nightbreed material they have and have granted us permission to pull this together into a comprehensive illustrated anniversary book about the movie. We’ll draw on this as well as on unpublished material in Clive’s archive and we’ve started discussions on whether this package might gain permission to include a release of the workprint too…

* Submitted as news on 8/14

Well, as someone who was at the actual screening last year, I can tell you this news is stupid.

The cut we saw, while being a workprint, was near completed. Just a lack of sound effects and score. Just about all of the effects were done. With all of the scenes added it made the film a near literal adaptation of the novel, with more insane monsters, gore, and a bigger crazier finale at the battle for Midian. They could just do some minor work on the footage we saw and release it on the dvd and that would be just fine...
Quote:

View Post
Got "NIGHTBREED Chronicles" in mail today. It's a paperback "Monster Manual". 2 pages devoted to each Midian denizen. Portrait-style pics of actors in makeup in front of backdrops and background details of each character. A Barker intro at front and a makeup behind the scenes section at the end.

Wish it was thicker, but it's neat. Nice pics.

So weird. I was eyeing a copy of that a couple of weeks back on Amazon. Remembered seeing it advertised in the back of Fango and other horror/sci-fi mags around the time the film came out but never got around to ordering it.

Hate hearing that news from Morgan Creek.
Quote:

View Post
Prompted me to order... this book from Amazon.

Got this one today. Paperback, 230 (or so) pages. First 40 pages devoted to Foreword and making of info. The rest of the book is "The Screenplay". Not sure if it's the shooting script or if there are other versions. I'll have to do some reasearch. Havn't read Cabal in a few years, so I might have to revisit and compare. Interior of the book is all black and white. There is a mix of onset pics, movie stills, storyboard thumbnails and character/costume/set sketches all throughout the book.

The cool surprise: despite being a tad worn around the edges, my used copy of the book's autographed by Clive Barker on the title page.

Introduction : Nightbreed Introduction by Barker

"A movie is a two hour experience, but if an image or a character touches some nerve in the audience, its effect may last a good deal longer. Some sixty years after they were made King Kong and Bride of Frankenstein - two of my favourite dark fantasy films, both focussed as much on their fantastical stars as on the human - exercise considerable fascination for audiences. Karloff and Kong are recognisable images the world over, despite the fact that the films in which they appeared are technically far inferior to those of today. It would be overweening of me to claim (or even hope) that our Breed will join that elevated league of icons, but I'd like to think we're producing images that will at least remain in the audience's head longer than a few hours."

This will probably give you a good idea what "version" of the screenplay is printed in the book, as it goes over and compares the ending in Cabal to the first draft, mid production, reshoot(s) and final finished ending of the movie. It's also just a fascinating read on all accounts.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trejo
View Post
This will probably give you a good idea what "version" of the screenplay is printed in the book, as it goes over and compares the ending in Cabal to the first draft, mid production, reshoot(s) and final finished ending of the movie. It's also just a fascinating read on all accounts.

It's the filmed version in the Making Of book then. Thanks.

The foreword's cool as it was written while the film was being made.

FYI, that B&W shot above was from the deleted sex scene, if you didn't already know.
I think in the comics, Baphomet's origin is a bit different. If I remember correctly, there was a time when the Breed lived in the world of Naturals and were the source of all our myths and legends about fairytale creatures. Some among them were very powerful and Baphomet was one who protected the vestiges of their kind when humans started killing them off en masse. I think Baphomet was supposed to be characterized by humans as some kind of demon, but is really just the last of the more powerful Breed.
AThis thread's been dead for a while... but is everyone across 'The Cabal Cut' of Nightbreed?
It's going all around the world, and in August Oz Horror Con - Midian will be bringing it to Australia as part of it's final tour...

http://www.Pozible.com/OzMidian
ACant wait for the home vid release of Cabal cut!

Here you go.

Release Date - Oct 28th from SHOUT Factory

CONTENT:

LIMITED EDITION SET (ONLY 5,000 NUMBERED SETS MADE):
Disc 1: Unrated Director's Cut of the film on Blu-ray
Disc 2: The 1990 R-Rated theatrical version of the film on Blu-ray (through a special licensing agreement through Warner Bros.)
Disc 3: EXCLUSIVE-TO-THIS-SET Bonus Blu-ray disc packed with extras (details forthcoming)
Includes Collector's Book with an essay and rare photos
Slipcase includes newly-designed artwork by Joel Robinson approved by Clive Barker
SPECIAL EDITION SET:
Disc 1: Unrated Director's Cut of the film on Blu-ray plus bonus features (details forthcoming)
Disc 2: Unrated Director's Cut of the film on DVD (details forthcoming)
Slipcase includes artwork designed by Ralph McQuarrie approved by Clive Barker

Official statement from Clive Barker: "This is film history and beyond my wildest dreams of realization. When Scream Factory told me that they found the NIGHTBREED film footage I was gob-smacked! This is the ultimate validation of choices made by myself and Mark Miller [of Seraphim Films] all the way back in 2008. As we embarked down the road of attempting to track down the lost footage, we looked at each other and said, 'Maybe one day they'll find it.' It's my pleasure to announce that the day has come. Speaking personally, I didn't allow myself to believe that it would. Even if we did find some footage (which we did in 2009 in the form of heavily degraded VHS tapes) and even if we did find a company willing to release the film (which we did in 2013 with Scream Factory, God bless them) the prospect of finding the actual lost film materials was remoter than I'd wanted to admit out loud. If the footage could not be found by those who had worked closest on it the same year it had been released, then what were the odds we'd be able to find anything 20 years on? But Scream Factory, in their commendable determination, kept up the search and thanks to them total reconstruction has been made a possibility. There's never been a reconstruction that's had as little chance of succeeding and yet has succeeded on as many fronts as this film has. It's unprecedented. To now have a movie that we can put together in the way that I fully intended it to be seen when I first set out to make this film in 1989 is extraordinary. The project has moved inexorably to this conclusion. Fate and the hard work of individuals such as Mark Miller, Russell Cherrington, Phil and Sarah Stokes, Occupy Midian, Morgan Creek, and ultimately, Scream Factory have made this a possibility and I could not be happier."

YES!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelios View Post

YES!

Again just to ruin everyone's good time....if you want the theatrical cut with it you are going to have to buy the limited edition and that is going to run you about 80 bucks.

I DON'T MIND!

(Assuming I'm not still poor by then.)