Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Chewers - where are ya?

Figured this would be the place to post something like this, as I doubt many people in the US will care(I am in Chicago).  Please note that this is not a "promotional" post and is something I did on my own personal time for FREE.

I joined twitter recently:

https://twitter.com/#!/HalFlow9000

Once on, one of the people I started following was Tim Burgess, lead singer of The Charlatans.  I knew he had an autobiography coming out and it wasn't available in print form, so I asked him where I could buy it.  He mentioned Amazon, but it wasn't avaialable in the US(in physical form), but I was able to buy it through Amazon UK.  Fast forward a week or two and as I was reading the book he asked if anyone would be interested in putting together a playlist for the book, of some of the songs mentioned in it.  I volunteered, as I wasn't that deep and figured I could just start noting all the songs that were mentioned.  He told me I "got the job" and, excited, I started documenting every song in the book.  Too keep a long story short, I made a Youtube playlist of all the songs, including any actual performances that were mentioned(Top of the Pops and whatnot) so that, basically, you could listen to each song as you were reading along with the book and really get a sense of the songs he was discussing.  What makes it even cooler is that as you are reading he actually mentions stuff like "I reccomend checking (insert song) out" and "this must be making a mess of your CD's", as if you were listening along.  So I made it and sent it to him and he LOVED it.  As a result, he has been sending to fans who are telling him that they want to go back and seek out some of the tracks.

So...if any of you guys are reading the book or planning to buy it.  Here is the book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Telling-Stories-...0670921289

and here is the playlist(you can also find it on my twitter page)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1C0095E52A5C3D9E

I am a HUGE Charlatans fan, and a big fan of UK music in general so this is one of the coolest things I have ever been involved with.  Plus Tim is really cool and talks to most people who send him stuff on Twitter, so yeah, check it out if you are interested.

P.S.  I thought of making a thread just for this(and will if people think that is better), but I want to reiterate that I am making NOTHING for posting this, and I have not been asked by anyone to promote this in any way.  If the moderators feel like this is a shill, please feel free to delete the post, I will not be upset and don't want to break any rules.  I have been on Chud for years and I never post anything like this and would not if this was in any way intended for my own monetary gain.  Again, just a fan who got a really cool opportunity to help out one of their favorite artists.  Plus there are some great songs on there that I have never heard.  It was fun to make and the book is really cool if you like their music

Enjoy.

UK peeps! I just got an email from Amazon that Stuart Gordon's 'From Beyond' is available on Blu Ray and DVD. Not sure how long it's been available, but I had to get it on US import a few years ago so it must be relatively recent.

If you've not seen it, but like 80s horror and HP Lovecraft, you need to rectify this immediately!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisten View Post

UK peeps! I just got an email from Amazon that Stuart Gordon's 'From Beyond' is available on Blu Ray and DVD. Not sure how long it's been available, but I had to get it on US import a few years ago so it must be relatively recent.

If you've not seen it, but like 80s horror and HP Lovecraft, you need to rectify this immediately!

Saw it last year as the fifth movie in an All Night Horror Marathon - utter madness. Dissapointing really that Gordon never became Raimi/Jackson big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Allen View Post

Saw it last year as the fifth movie in an All Night Horror Marathon - utter madness. Dissapointing really that Gordon never became Raimi/Jackson big

Agreed completely, Gordon and Brian Yuzna are hidden 80s gems!

I've got a mate who's got his own projector so we had a Halloween party with a horror triple bill as part of it. We showed From Beyond, Nightbreed and In the Mouth of Madness (all US import). What was the makeup of your marathon?

That would have been the first All Night Horror Madness - a twice yearly Edinburgh tradition in the Cameo - where the lineup was THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD, BLACK CHRISTMAS, BASKET CASE, SUSPIRIA, FROM BEYOND

The sixth was recently, and they showed THE NIGHT EVELYN CAME OUT OF THE GRAVE, BRAINDEAD, HOSPITAL MASSACRE, THE BEYOND & THEY LIVE. So much fun!

That's an amazing line-up, and I applaud you for being able to sit through it all without the aid of chemical stimulants! " id="yui_3_7_3_1_1363803345032_1116" rel="http://files.chud.com/images/smilies/wink.gif">