Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Fan (1996)
After seeing this again recently I've decided to make it my favorite Robert De Niro performance in a bad Robert De Niro film.

"BOBBEEEEEEEE!"
I'm serious as a heart attack, Bobby!
I literally can't remember if I've seen this movie or not.
Well, try to remember a movie that isn't THE USUAL SUSPECTS in which you can't understand anything Benecio Del Toro says. Odds are it's THE FAN.
I've never seen this but I remember seeing one clip which always made me ask:

"Just why in the fuck are they playing baseball in the pouring rain?"
I figure Tony Scott liked the rain in THE LAST BOY SCOUT so he went with it here as well.

The best stuff from De Niro comes when he takes his son to opening day. Seeing him shove his kid away in order to catch a foul ball is fabulous. As is watching him get in a cussing match with M.C. Gainey.
I bet this isn't such a bad movie in retrospect. I'm sure it's not great, but it's probably moderately enjoyable and crazy DeNiro never totally sucks.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moltisanti
View Post
I figure Tony Scott liked the rain in THE LAST BOY SCOUT so he went with it here as well.

Yeah, but wouldn't that pull anyone who knows baseball out of the movie for the fact a Baseball game NEVER gets played in rain.
They keep having the broadcasters say stuff like "This game could be called at any second!" and they do have a rain delay but I don't think this film's intent is to please die-hard baseball fans.

I'm fairly certain if a nut was trying to kill a ballplayer in mid-game that the stadium's Jumbotron would not show it for all the crowd to see. That is something that happens in Tony Scott's world only.
I've got to say, could one say this was around the time De Niro began his decline into self-parody? Or was it when he did Frankenstein?
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gayest
View Post
I bet this isn't such a bad movie in retrospect.

No, it is. It's indescribably bad.
Good or not, The Fan will always have a place in my heart. Bobby D as a down on his luck knife salesman. Wesley Snipes playing a baseball superstar who isn't Willie "Mays" Hayes. Ellen Barkin as the attention-grabbing sports radio host. Kurt Fuller as the sidekick who plays the backseat to Barkin's attenion-grabbing radio host. Then there's that Hans Zimmer score. Tony Scott movies are like pizza, even when they're bad, they're still pretty good.

By the way, the rain during the baseball game is explained in the movie. It still doesn't make a lot of sense but it is explained.
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdHocken
View Post
I've got to say, could one say this was around the time De Niro began his decline into self-parody? Or was it when he did Frankenstein?

Frankenstein is all kinds of awesome.
Wait wait wait a second. Knife salesman? Who the fuck buys knives from salesmen? I mean ever since there was that incident with the old lady and the business end of a SLASHCO knife twenty-some odd years ago. The door-to-door knife business has been non-existant to say the least.
They should've kept the ending from the book. In the end there, he actually pitches a knife to Rayburn at the plate, who hits it back to him straight into the heart. I couldn't believe I had read that.
I still can't believe that the guy who wrote this wrote episodes of CHEERS.
It's like Tony Scott mashed up King of Comedy with Cape Fear. And somehow made it worse than you could imagine.
"Coop, whadda ya doin'?"
Quote:

Originally Posted by KABONG
View Post
They should've kept the ending from the book. In the end there, he actually pitches a knife to Rayburn at the plate, who hits it back to him straight into the heart. I couldn't believe I had read that.

Really? Get the fuck out of here. When he lined up to pitch the knife in the movie, I actually leaned over to my friend and said "Snipes is gonna knock that puppy back into him". It seemed like the only way that Tony Scott could possibly end a movie like that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClark
View Post
It's like Tony Scott mashed up King of Comedy with Cape Fear. And somehow made it worse than you could imagine.
"Coop, whadda ya doin'?"

The problem is that Snipes isn't interesting at all, especially when compared to Jerry Lewis is KING or even wimpy Nolte in CAPE FEAR. But this film reminded me that even though De Niro did this one for the money, he does deliver on his promise to be cooky. He certainly didn't sleepwalk through it like he would have today.
Quote:

View Post
The problem is that Snipes isn't interesting at all, especially when compared to Jerry Lewis is KING or even wimpy Nolte in CAPE FEAR. But this film reminded me that even though De Niro did this one for the money, he does deliver on his promise to be cooky. He certainly didn't sleepwalk through it like he would have today.

I'm absolutely positive this is solely because Snipes' characters name is Bobby. If it was Steve or Mitch or something else, DeNiro wouldn't connect as much.

I think this is his grotesque revenge flick against anyone who ever came up to him and said "Hey, Bobbeeeeeee!!! I love you, you're the best, I'm your biggest fan. You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Talk to me, Bobbeeeeee!"

He clearly hates those people.
That's a sound theory. What I don't get is why he's obsessed with Bobby Rayburn and Mick Jagger. It's fine, because it gave us a chance to hear De Niro sing "Shattered." I just don't see the connection between his obsessions.
Quote:

View Post
It's fine, because it gave us a chance to hear De Niro sing "Shattered."

OH GOD *rentrentrent*
In the interest of fairness, we should also discuss this film in this thread as well:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082362/

Michael Biehn and Lauren Bacall together at last. This sounds delirious.
Quote:

View Post
That's a sound theory. What I don't get is why he's obsessed with Bobby Rayburn and Mick Jagger. It's fine, because it gave us a chance to hear De Niro sing "Shattered." I just don't see the connection between his obsessions.

That's the missing link in my theory. It's De Niro commenting on his work with Scorsese. He can't escape his fans and he can't escape the type of role his fans want to see him in.

Or something.
I've never seen this, but damn if you all aren't making it sound like the greatest thing ever. When's USA showing it again?

Curiously, I've seen the Biehn/Bacall flick.
My biggest problem with this flick is the damage it does to DeNiro's other, truly mennacing work. He almost parodies his performance in THIS BOY'S LIFE. Since that's one of my favorites-and the last time he convincingly pulled off scary-I'm a little offended. I hate to see greatness cheapened.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Just caught this and really dug it. It's kind of Tony Scott's TALK RADIO. Maybe the last truly great De Niro performance, thought I do like his turns in Jackie Brown and Silver Linings Playbook.

He's actually not bad in THE KILLING SEASON. Expected him to be zoned out for that one but ended up hoping he would outwit Serbian Travolta.

Hope he brings some of his FAN lunacy to GRUDGE MATCH.

AI think every movie I went to in 1996 had a trailer for "The Fan" in front of it, including "The Fan."