Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gabe Powers' Blog
Fuck, I forgot Thirst!!! What an ass!!
THIRST is great... tho' I woulda thought for a modern vampire film that CGI rooftop scene would've been mentioned in the bad CGI thing they're running over LET THE RIGHT ONE IN. Saying that, it doesn't make the film worse to me. I love where it ends up taking the relationship and the vampirism and the ending is one of the best in this genre.

Glad you didn't mention INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE; I liked it when I saw it way beck when but seeing it again quite recently I really, really disliked it.
I'm not a huge IwtV fan (or Coppola's Dracula, or Vampires), but I was mostly just trying to avoid the obvious stuff. Blade II is actually a huge personal favorite that I figured didn't need a bump. The weirdo Aussie movie called Thirst is also pretty good.

Another one I haven't seen in too long to remember if its worth a damn is Darkness.
That's the Leif Jonker DARKNESS, right? Low budge-tastic it most certainly is but I seem to remember it being good fun enjoyable schlock. But, like yourself, it has been many, many moons.

Did you ever see the Vampire episode of MASTERS OF HORROR? I think it had Michael Ironside in it as a fanged fucker which appealed to me but I never did get the DVD.
It's only good for Ironside (who's in it for like a minute) and Dickerson's photography (which is always good), but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.
I blind bought Daughters Of Darkness at the Hastings going out of business sale back in February and found it to be pretty dull. Aside from the nice looking ladies that is.

I would have mentioned Thirst, but I haven't seen it yet, so I can't say anything about it.

You should get on Let's Scare Jessica To Death, ASAP, Gabe. It's really good. Brundle agrees with me.
How does everybody feel about The Forsaken? I thought it would be crappy, but I actually ended up liking it quite a bit.

Does that just call my taste into question?
I saw it in the theater back in 2001. I liked it. First movie I've ever seen with the hero being a guy who cuts trailers for movies.
It's the very definition of Dawson's Creek casting, with an assist from Roswell. With that kinda pedigree, how can you not like it?
Kerr Smith was a decent lead, and Schaech made for an alright bad guy. I've never found him that menacing. Well, except when he turned into a drooling rabies afflicted firefighter walking on a broken foot.
Definitely never saw Forsaken, but will admit a general, non-lasting affection for Dracula 2000.
Was it because of Vitamin C's tits? Jeri Ryan's? I must admit, I liked that weird stake launcher. And Gerard Butler before he was a tank.

Still it's sorta amusing.
I saw Dracula 2000 in the dollar movies and thought it was ok. That's one I wouldn't mind revisiting. Never saw the sequels that starred Roy Scheider and Jason Scott Lee either. I've got to check them out.
Per request:Italian Horror Check-List Part One

...there probably isn't going to be a part 2 for a while, unfortunately.
Hey Gabe, that was great! I just got done watching The Church and I love it--flaws and all. Had no idea Phillip Glass was pimipin that shit!

Gotta say...

THIS alone was worth the price of admission:

I'm also about three quarters into City of the Living Dead. Lots of goodness to be had there too! Thanks for the recommendations!
I'm formatting part two from the hospital as we speak.
I hadn't seen The Church since around 2004, before I picked up the dvd a few weeks ago. That disturbing scene with the goat demon is on the insert in the dvd.

It's a pretty good movie, despite being really slow for the first half. The Philip Glass music is tops, downloaded "Floe" off of iTunes.

Looking forward to part 2, Gabe, and hope you feel better.
Italian Horror Checklist Part 2

the question now is do i take the time to do the Giallo section correctly, which includes watching quite a few film I've never seen or entirely forgotten, or do I do the more random stuff first to buy myself some time.
strike while the iron's hot!

Here's a Quick List I threw together while I continue culling reviews for DVDActive and Gialli for my blog.

Quick List: Jeffrey Combs' 5 Best Roles