Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Wait For The Trade: Eric's Blog
There's really not much to say about this blog here, except that it's going to be updated as much as I feel like I have something to stay. Once I gather the focus and direction for what I want to talk about after a few go's at it, hopefully I'll wind up with something worth reading.

Here's the first attempt:

What Is Wrong With College Kids?
I may be an old fuddy-duddy at the ripe old age of 31, but what exactly wrong with kids these days?

When I went to Uni we all got blind drunk. Well, I did and I eventually got through and got a job. Others dropped out, others studied much harder and went on to get more advanced qualifications.

Does your generation have "apathy and self-fulfilling underachievement" or is that just the people you know?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriegaffe
View Post
I may be an old fuddy-duddy at the ripe old age of 31, but what exactly wrong with kids these days?

When I went to Uni we all got blind drunk. Well, I did and I eventually got through and got a job. Others dropped out, others studied much harder and went on to get more advanced qualifications.

Does your generation have "apathy and self-fulfilling underachievement" or is that just the people you know?

I truly believe it does, and not just those I'm familiar with. I gave someone an example earlier that my parents, and my older cousins felt strongly for causes they took up, and that there was an urgency to be an asset to society (whether it be as a whole or just the people around you). But I fear that accountability stops at the individual with my generation.

Oh, and thanks for reading! I'll see how this foray into being "deep" goes.
I don't think I felt a great urge to help society. Australian culture isn't overy ambitious in general (except maybe in Sport).

When I was growing up, we had just come off a recession. My family did ok, but I had to pay my own way through. Worked 25-30 hours a week + Uni + drinking + hangovers. So while I wasn't driven to make the world a better place, I was driven to complete my degree and ensure I had food to eat.

The impression I get is young people today have a bit more money and we live with governements that will start illegal wars no matter what you think about it. (I think the US may be different, but the majority of Aus did not support the war).

So perhaps that's what breeds apathy... comfortable powerlessness.

Having said that, I work with a few youngsters just out of Uni and they don't seem to far removed from how I found it.
Well, this was me venting over conversations had prior in the day more than anything else. But, I like to put things out there while they're in the moment rather than taking my time to ruminate over them.
I'm glad you've decided to take up a blog - I think you're a pretty smart guy, and I think you'll wind up having alot to say.

I honestly don't think it's just your generation, I see the apathy and underachievment with mine as well. I'm not saying it's a great way to go through any phase of your life, be it college or middle age, but you're unfortunately not alone.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Cordo
View Post
I gave someone an example earlier that my parents, and my older cousins felt strongly for causes they took up, and that there was an urgency to be an asset to society (whether it be as a whole or just the people around you). But I fear that accountability stops at the individual with my generation.

Well, again, no - not just your generation. Upon returning from a few Habitat builds, when my co-workers asked if the sunburn was from laying around on the beach, I've been greeted with blank stares when I tell them that it was from a construction site. If it was going to be a story of total drunken debauchery, they were all for it - the faces were actually bright and eager to hear the details. But when it was nothing of that sort, the faces would fall and I'd get a reply of "Oh... that's nice, too". Now, it doesn't make me a saint because that's how I chose to spend a few vacations, but I take alot more away from it than your usual "shopping while drunk" vacations. But you should see how fast the "eager-to-hear-about-your-vacation" faces are replaced with a person who can't wait to get away from you - and these are from people in their mid-30's.
Well, we all have an opinion about our generation, and from the feedback on the blog that I've received it seems like everyone is quick to point out that things are exactly the same as their college years. So, since things have been the same for the last sixty years, when are we going to have a generation that actually makes progress instead of taking steps backwards?

What I'm saying is it ain't gonna be mine.
Comics Need To Be A Collective
Here's a review of the Joker hardcover that was released a couple of weeks ago.

Joker
Review of Kevin Smith's new Batman title.

Batman: Cacophony Review.
This one's kind of a Star Trek vs. Watchmen sort of thing.

Click here to read an opinion that you didn't ask for.