Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
THE DEVIL'S CHAIR?

Avoid? This thread wasn't too optimistic, but the trailer looks atmospheric.
The Devil's Chair is pretty scary, but his sofa table is just hideous.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minsky
View Post
The Devil's Chair is pretty scary, but his sofa table is just hideous.

But the Devil's futon is entirely convenient.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKMITE8
View Post
But the Devil's futon is entirely convenient.

Yeah but you'll develop back pain if you sleep in it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquafresh
View Post
Yeah but you'll develop back pain if you sleep in it.

Damn that Devil!
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKMITE8
View Post
THE DEVIL'S CHAIR?

Avoid? This thread wasn't too optimistic, but the trailer looks atmospheric.

well, I'm seeing positive reviews around the web, and the trailer is promising. it's enough for me to put it on my netflix. if I get around to it soon I'll post about it here.

how is the directors' previous effort, Broken? it also seems to have been pretty well received.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Strangefist
View Post
how is the directors' previous effort, Broken? it also seems to have been pretty well received.

Looks disturbing and creepy. I'm curious.
they're both going in my queue. time will tell.
Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer worth a look?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barkatthemoon
View Post
Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer worth a look?

There was a brief discussion and some thoughts here. I'm still looking forward to it.
The Cottage. Worth seeing?
I liked it. I would have liked it more if Jennifer Ellison had removed her top, but there's some good horror/comedy moments to make up for it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Death Surge
View Post
I liked it. Your coding is childish! I would have liked it more if Jennifer Ellison had removed her top, but there's some good horror/comedy moments to make up for it. I got drunk and divorced during it.

Gee. Thanks for stopping by CC Devin.

Now don't you have some sort of Men's fashion to complain about, or maybe an article detailing your continued Nerd self-loathing to work on?
Avoid Triloquist. Not even fans of Puppet Master vs Demonic Toys will enjoy that bastard version of Dead Silence.

What about Joy Ride 2? Watchable?
So far these Ghosthouse Underground films are average to shit.
I have to say I enjoyed REEKER and have heard good things about the sequel which drops next week, and they are on Ghost House. But yeah, mostly shit.
INHERITANCE ? Looks potentially creepy. The shoddy on-the-set sound recording may get on my nerves, but...
Quote:

View Post
I have to say I enjoyed REEKER and have heard good things about the sequel which drops next week, and they are on Ghost House. But yeah, mostly shit.

I never saw the first one, but based on the description they sound like the same movie. Reeker 2 was pretty well made, and had a few decent scares, but my friend and I figured out the entire plot to the letter within ten minutes, which has to be a record for me because I usually suck at that kind of thing.
Quote:

View Post
I have to say I enjoyed REEKER

Not nearly as many fart noises in that trailer as I expected.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Powers
View Post
I never saw the first one, but based on the description they sound like the same movie. Reeker 2 was pretty well made, and had a few decent scares, but my friend and I figured out the entire plot to the letter within ten minutes, which has to be a record for me because I usually suck at that kind of thing.

REEKER is basically a group of people stranded at a truck stop or something being hunted by a smelly demon-thing. There was a twist that I won't ruin.

I am a sucker for creature features, so anything that's not just some dude cutting people gets points with me. To be a horror fan is to live with diminished expectations.

I recently saw the extended cut of DUST DEVIL and quite enjoyed its flawed ambition. I'd recommend it, just don't expect to be scared. I also kind of liked HELLO MARY LOU: PROM NIGHT 2 for being a shameless knockoff of the Nightmare franchise. Mileage may vary.
Quote:

View Post
REEKER is basically a group of people stranded at a truck stop or something being hunted by a smelly demon-thing. There was a twist that I won't ruin.

Is the twist that (possible Reeker 2 twist spoiler, but I think they're the same twist)they're all dead? Because that would explain why the Reeker 2 twist was so telegraphed. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be a twist. Seriously swap out truck stop for diner/hotel and you've got part 2.
Quote:

View Post
So far these Ghosthouse Underground films are average to shit.

What about Dark Floors and The Substitute? I've heard good things about both.

The Last House in the Woods is awful though.
Quote:

View Post
Is the twist that (possible Reeker 2 twist spoiler, but I think they're the same twist)they're all dead? Because that would explain why the Reeker 2 twist was so telegraphed. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be a twist. Seriously swap out truck stop for diner/hotel and you've got part 2.

Yep, same twist. Sounds like they figured you'd seen part one.

Saw JACK BROOKS MONSTER SLAYER last night. Gotta say I enjoyed it for what it was. I was surprised how good it looked for such a low budget. The lead guy is like the Canadian Ryan Reynolds, or rather the Even More Canadian Ryan Reynolds. The creature effects are old school rubber monsters, which I like. Devin's review of it pretty much nails it, it's kind of repetitive until the third act. You get a bunch of scenes which serve the same purpose, and even a flashback story that more or less tells you what you already know. Robert Englund turns in a fun slapsticky performance, and the movie has a good-natured vibe that wins you over. The third act is great. Worth a rental.
Quarantine anyone?

*crickets*
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Strangefist
View Post
What about Dark Floors and The Substitute? I've heard good things about both.

Who told you such lies? Dark Floors is terrible.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barkatthemoon
View Post
Quarantine anyone?

*crickets*

[REC] is better, although they're extremely similar.
Needn't bother with NEVER CRY WEREWOLF though I'm sure nobody but me would anyway.
Quote:

View Post
Saw JACK BROOKS MONSTER SLAYER last night. Gotta say I enjoyed it for what it was. I was surprised how good it looked for such a low budget. The lead guy is like the Canadian Ryan Reynolds, or rather the Even More Canadian Ryan Reynolds. The creature effects are old school rubber monsters, which I like. Devin's review of it pretty much nails it, it's kind of repetitive until the third act. You get a bunch of scenes which serve the same purpose, and even a flashback story that more or less tells you what you already know. Robert Englund turns in a fun slapsticky performance, and the movie has a good-natured vibe that wins you over. The third act is great. Worth a rental.

This. I liked it waaaay more than expected.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timo
View Post
Who told you such lies? Dark Floors is terrible.

I dunno, some stuff I've read around the net gave me the impression the buzz was at least somewhat good. I guess not.

I know there's been positive response The Substitute though, so what about that?
Anything on Feast II? I'm about to watch it, regardless, but hey.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake
View Post
Anything on Feast II? I'm about to watch it, regardless, but hey.

Watched it last night. Not as good as the 1st (although more grind-housey), but still had entertainment value. SPOILERS: Biker bitch gang, Mexican midget wrestlers, Grandma catapult, a very gooey dissection, a baby gets eaten, cat rape etc.
Quote:

View Post

Agreed, but I wish the lead wasn't so (how can I put it politely)... green? Everything with Englund and/or a monster was gold.
Quote:

View Post
Needn't bother with NEVER CRY WEREWOLF though I'm sure nobody but me would anyway.

I did. I have a review on the way. Not a great flick by any means, but slightly better than average amongst DTV werewolf releases.
Hey, I have FEAST II as well! Between the three of us we form some sort of unholy triumvirate of hardcore horror chewers.

I am watching an insane amount of horror movies this month. I always watch a lot, but this is fucking ridiculous, I should have my head examined. I just got back from a double feature screening of THE DEADLY SPAWN (awesome) and the 80's remake of THE BLOB (fun).

On top of all the screenings and DVDs I am reading THE SPACE VAMPIRES and WORLD WAR Z. I've got CABAL and CUJO on deck. I am fucking retarded.
FEAST II is an insane film. In a lot of ways it's trying to hard, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't entertained. The Judah Friedlander cameo made it all worthwhile. And the baby sequence, that was gold.