Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
(02-13-2019, 04:21 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: This one wasn't on my radar, but it totally is now:

It's like a cross between Mr. Plinkett and Janet Reno's Dance Party. Looks like it could be good.

(02-14-2019, 01:09 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 11:44 PM)simbob Wrote:
(02-07-2019, 12:16 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 09:25 PM)Adam_72 Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 04:15 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: I kind of love Silent Hill. From what I understand it's nothing like the game.

You're not much of a gamer then? The first SH movie is plenty like the game. And it's great.

Nope not at all a gamer. But I thought Silent Hill was about a guy that killed his wife but didn't know it.

That's the second game. The big monster in the Silent Hill movie is from that second game though, and tied up into that game's protagonist.

Ahh ok. Also let me say again stay far away from the movie sequel. Fucking terrible.

It's already too late for me. I tried watching it like a couple years ago or something.
Happy Valentine's Day, everyone:

https://twitter.com/1AshleyLaurence/stat...3192232961

(02-13-2019, 03:03 PM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 01:45 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: Kind of interesting to see 2001's Valentine get the Scream Factory treatment.  I only watched the film once and remember really disliking it.  In recent years, though, enough essays have come around that have made me wonder if it's worth another shot:

I've never seen VALENTINE, but that's changing tomorrow night when a group of my friends are getting together for a double feature of that and the original (best) MY BLOODY VALENTINE.

VALENTINE was one I avoided because it looked like such an uninspired attempt to cash-in on SCREAM, but it seems to have gained a bit of a fanbase over the years, so I'm interested to see it now.

I don't get the reappraisal of this one. Saw it when it came out, it sucked. Tried again a few years ago and it still sucked. The characters are awful, the kills are boring, and the "mystery" is a joke. The film introduces red herring after red herring, only to kill them almost immediately after they're introduced. And given this was the height of David Boreanaz's career and he's given almost nothing to do for the entirety of the film, the killer can only be him.

I was similarly mystified when people began reappraising Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation. I like Shout Factory but them releasing a film doesn't necessarily validate it.
(02-11-2019, 06:14 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: My brother helped build the 'smoking Pooka' suit. He's got his hands in a few of those ITD's.

That's pretty cool. I've really been enjoying Into the Dark. Good acting, writing, and filmmaking. Even though I'm a huge fan of anthology horror, it is not too often that it does anything that really surprises me, but this series has managed to surprise me more than once. "New Year, New You" actually comes close to brilliance- pertinent and darkly funny, and excellent performances with Carly Chaikin the cast standout as a sociopathic social media influencer. As mentioned, "Pooka" is also really good, achieving a lot with very little. Makes me want to finally check out Colossal, because from what I have heard about that movie there is a thematic link there. "Flesh and Blood" is the one and only time Dermot Mulroney's naturally goofy delivery has ever worked for me, good casting there. "The Body" is just a lot of fun. The most recent one "Down" (the Valentine's day ep, from the director of 13 Sins and The Last Exorcism) is a nice little riff on the trapped in an elevator scenario. Upcoming episode ("Treehouse") looks like it has potential too.
I've only seen Down but I enjoyed it.
So... VALENTINE.

Despite a 2001 release, this still feels almost completely like a remnant of the 1990s, specifically that post-SCREAM slasher craze that lasted for a few years, and which this film effectively kind of helped to usher off the stage. The screenplay “borrows” (I’m being charitable!) heavily from things like PROM NIGHT and TERROR TRAIN for its killer, and for the most part, the kills and suspense feel pretty rote and uninspired.

The cast members are all various degrees of good, and Marley Shelton, in particular, is legitimately quite appealing. The production value is fairly high, and there are a few clever touches in some of the character interactions (as well as a handful of genuinely funny exchanges), but other than that, there’s really nothing to distinguish this from any other pedestrian late 1990s/early 2000s horror film.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Happy Death Day 2U put a big smile on my face! Its more sci-fi than horror. Jessica Rothe is great in this. For as fun as this movie is, there are some touching moments. There is also some good moments of dark humor as well.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
Awesome. We're right now rewatching the first one in preparation for seeing 2 Saturday morning.
Hoping HDD2U does well. Very few things in life make me happy, but seeing Ryan Rotten (truly the best of us Creature Corner dudes) become a success in Hollywood with producing duties on HDD franchise, Halloween 2018 etc makes me happy.
Author/critic Kim Newman believes that Jessica Rothe's work in Happy Death 2U is as good as anything done by Oscar nominees. I agree and recommend his Anno Dracula series as well.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
The way it played with expectations of the relationships between characters from the first was inspired.

Could have started getting even weirder . . . I kept expecting to find out the other people in the room were going through their own loops.

How does the third keep the naming tradition up . . . Happy Death Day To 3? To Th3e?

"Eyes up here on the middle one."
Easy solution. Happy Death Day 3D.
PSN Handle: chetripley80
That's it. That's the one. Simple and obvious.
(02-16-2019, 05:03 PM)chet ripley Wrote: Easy solution.  Happy Death Day 3D.

Shut up and take my money!
I watched a new release called THE HOLE IN THE GROUND tonight.

The latest in the long line of “creepy kid” horror tales, this one is a pretty well-constructed entry in that subgenre, and it features some tremendously unsettling moments. It might make an interesting companion piece to the (admittedly superior) THE BABADOOK, because both stories involve a mother struggling to understand what is happening to her son, though this variation begins with that relationship in a somewhat healthier place and has distinctly different thematic concerns. Both Seána Kerslake and James Quinn Markey are highly credible and convincing, even when the story eventually heads into slightly more outlandish directions.

Visually, there’s there’s a slightly desaturated look to the image that heightens both the creeping sense of dread and the feeling of unease that runs underneath.

Now, it is a pretty slow burn story until the third act kicks in, and many of the more frightening moments are variations on the sort of things genre fans will have seen before, but the tone is so well-controlled - and the performances so good - that the weak spots are easily to overlook.
Is that on VOD? I thought it would get a theatrical run.

I just started the Joe Bob Phantasm run. I’m still mostly ambivalent about these films.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
It's on DirecTV.
I was kind of disappointed with Happy Death Day 2, the original was so good, and this new one is just kind of ok. The trailer also suggest a more interesting movie than what HDD2 is, this just basically being the original movie with slightly different character dynamics, and since the killer isn't after anyone the movie is following less stuff is going on.

It is amusing though, it's got some laughs at least. The cast is also good, but then again the cast was good in the original too.

Kind of surprised Jessica Rothe hasn't been in anything big since the first movie since she's so good in it. It hasn't really been long since Happy Death Day, but I figured she'd of been in something interesting last year.
Happy Death Day 2U was fun. I'd be game for a third one.
John Carpenter's SOMEONE'S WATCHING ME: It's amazing how many lesser known 70's genre TV movies there are. I'm sure I saw this one before, but it never registered. This viewing I was blown away by Carpenter in low-key Hitchcock mode. There's a moment early on that in a raw way reminded me of the legendary EXORCIST III jump scare. Lauren Hutton is pretty great - she's funny, charming, yes, sexy - and when the movie gets cooking, she brilliantly captures a strong woman suddenly terrified with the slightest gesture or just with her eyes. Strong recommendation.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Watched OVERLORD last night. I think it's pretty great, certainly better than reviews would have indicated. If there's any issue it is that it's 2 movies mashed into one with the second film being clearly superior to the first. For almost the entire first hour it's a straightup WWII men-on-a-mission story, and not a particularly great one. Seems like their thinking was that if they play everything serious for a while we might feel more attached to the characters, which doesn't really happen since they're such stock types. It's only late in the game that they introduce the horror elements at which point it becomes a nice gooey B-movie. Still enjoyed it a lot but wish they'd settled on a tone early on.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
I really liked it, and I think in part because of that genre swap.

It comes really close to be an all-timer. If that had been released in 1989 I would have seen it thirty times by now.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(02-19-2019, 09:14 AM)Evi Wrote: Watched OVERLORD, the movie named after our favorite chewer, last night. I think it's pretty great, certainly better than reviews would have indicated. If there's any issue it is that it's 2 movies mashed into one with the second film being clearly superior to the first. For almost the entire first hour it's a straightup WWII men-on-a-mission story, and not a particularly great one. Seems like their thinking was that if they play everything serious for a while we might feel more attached to the characters, which doesn't really happen since they're such stock types. It's only late in the game that they introduce the horror elements at which point it becomes a nice gooey B-movie. Still enjoyed it a lot but wish they'd settled on a tone early on.

I would say I greatly enjoyed the first 20ish minutes, really enjoyed the last 20ish minutes, and the entire middle chunk is a hodgepodge that doesn't really mesh well at all, IMHO.
Watched Overlord again too. I think I may have enjoyed it a bit more than before but I still can't believe this zombie movie only has three fucking zombies in it, and really only one that acts like you'd think a zombie would act. The whole end fight also seems primed to have a big Re-Animator type ending but the fucking zombies just stay in their lockers doing nothing until it's time to blow up. I guess in some ways it's playing off Re-Animator too, outside of the ending Re-Animator I think might only have three zombies too, (and a zombie cat) and Overlord also has a living head in it, but in Overlord these seem to be a problem where in Re-Animator they just aren't...probably because that spends more time fleshing it all out.

For a movie that's leaning so heavily on Tarantino and Basterds, I kind of wish it did the whole chapter thing so we could get to know the mad scientist character we know nothing about but who gets his own death scene in the end like it means something, could have dropped it right there where the lab scene was, so we can see him being evil and doing expriments on people so it has some impact when we get to see him killed at the end. Shit, just do a little flashback like Hugo Stiglitz gets showing him being evil and give him some cool font. 

Just really wish Overlord went further with everything once it got into the horror movie stuff. Even stuff they set up like the zombies being super strong the movie doesn't really do anything with, that fight between Wyatt Russell and the big badguy at the end should have been tearing the place apart, throwing each other through walls, punching holes in shit, stuff crumbling from the force they're hitting it with...but outside of one time when someone is thrown into a wall you don't get anything like that in that fight.  

It does make me want more action and genre movie stuff with Wyatt Russell in it though.
I also gave OVERLORD a look.

I think it basically functions equally well as a “men on a mission” WWII adventure and as a horror yarn.  The strength of the storytelling is that it doesn’t tip its hand too early in an attempt to get right to the zombies and Nazi mad science experiments; it takes its time, gives us a solid crew of soldiers with a well-defined task, drops them into some knowingly old-fashioned war situations... and then gradually tightens the genre screws around them.  

It’s quite well shot, with some particularly interesting framing and staging at points, and the ensemble is comprised of a solid cast of characters, though Wyatt Russell is clearly the standout; it’s impossible to not see a little bit of his dad’s attitude shine through in this performance.  The pacing does slack a bit in the midsection, but this feels somewhat unavoidable because the movie intentionally slows down for an infiltration sequence designed to impart exposition in purely visual ways, rather than clunky, spoken explanation; that trade-off makes the slower section not too much of a detriment.  And the third act does rebound with a pretty exciting action-horror fusion climax.  

All told, it doesn’t reinvent any genres, but it’s a fairly fun time.

Oh, and what the hell was with that end credits song choice?  After a movie that embraces some throwback elements (the opening title card, complete with vintage Paramount logo and copyright information centered at the bottom, was a very nice touch), I think we kind of needed something like this to close it out...

Well this is unexpected:

https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news...r-thriller

I'm guessing it'll be a mixture of Candle Cove and Five Nights at Freddy's.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
(02-20-2019, 01:03 AM)hp pufncraft Wrote: Well this is unexpected:

https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news...r-thriller

I'm guessing it'll be a mixture of Candle Cove and Five Nights at Freddy's.

Sounds like something that was originally developed for Adult Swim, cost too much money, and ended up finding its way to another network.
I watched Happy Dearh Day 2U, and I’m surprised the pass it’s been getting. It’s straight up a bad movie. It’s certainly not horror anymore, but it’s not really anything else either, maybe a college movie? A shitty one, for sure. The lead actress once again proves a gigantic movie star, but she’s fighting a hurricane, made up of a bland script with no fresh ideas, bad supporting performances, and some stunningly desperate bad comedy stepieces, especially a bizarre, Pink Panther style blind French girl bit, that happens right in the middle of the climax. Trash.

It does have one of the weirdest, longest post credit stingers I can recall, but it’s not good or anything.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Arjen's convinced me!
(02-26-2019, 11:53 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: I watched Happy Dearh Day 2U, and I’m surprised the pass it’s been getting. It’s straight up a bad movie. It’s certainly not horror anymore, but it’s not really anything else either, maybe a college movie? A shitty one, for sure. The lead actress once again proves a gigantic movie star, but she’s fighting a hurricane, made up of a bland script with no fresh ideas, bad supporting performances, and some stunningly desperate bad comedy stepieces, especially a bizarre, Pink Panther style blind French girl bit, that happens right in the middle of the climax. Trash.

It does have one of the weirdest, longest post credit stingers I can recall, but it’s not good or anything.

I actually talked about it a bit in the "releases that don't deserve their own thread."  

I was surprised how much I enjoyed the first one and excitedly went opening weekend to the sequel.  I didn't hate it.  I would say I mildly liked it, but overall it was pretty disappointing in comparison to the first.  It isn't a horror/slasher movie.  At all.  It's a sci-fi comedy.  And I was really unhappy they went back to the well of the same day (I am fucking sick of that dorm room).  

Considering the marketing, it has increasingly not sat-too-well with me that they changed the genre of the sequel and have tried to pretend otherwise.
The weird thing about Happy Death Day 2 U is it still starts as a horror slash movie, and during the whole movie the slash thing is still happening, it's just happening to someone offscreen which does nothing for us the viewers.

The beginning of the movie had me thinking her alternative self would be the killer, either because she never left and came across the original, or because she escaped the originals shitty life where her mom is dead and her best friend hates her so much she's trying to kill her. But it doesn't do that. Which doesn't make any sense because someone was clearly fucking with her, because everything was set in a routine, but somehow The Dean showed up to fuck shit up for her at a time he shouldn't have been there. Only someone that knowns what's going on could have done that. Also thought maybe the crazy killer guy could have also gotten time loop powers and was the one messing with thing.

Didn't the trailer for this have some line about how the killer was after the group, and she'd have to figure everything out before any of them were killed? I could swear there was something like that in some trailer, but I don't remember anything like that even being said in the movie. The trailer made it seem like a killer with time loop powers was going to be after those three, but the only killer with powers in the whole movie only went after one person. It's like they made a trailer to trick people into thinking it was a different kind of movie, but the fake psych out movie they came up with was more interesting than the actual one they made.

When the movie was over I had to look up to see if it was written by the same person as the original. This one was such a mess, and didn't seem anything like the first movie at all I figured it had to of been someone else. Which it was.
The sci-fi plot was as bad as the horror plot, and it didn’t even bother trying to make sense. Remember how the Asian kid’s got a future version of himself trying to kill his younger counterpart? Because the movie forgot him completely.

If they’d committed to trying to be a twisty time travel thing, I wouldn’t have minded them leaving proper horror behind. But I don’t even know what they were trying to do with this. Make a releasable movie in sixteen months, I guess.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
The thing is they could have done the twisty time travel and the horror movie. The movie is all set up for it, then it just leaves it behind. It's a weird (or more specifically bad) way of going about telling a story, you'd expect the stuff with two of the same person to come into play for the rest of the movie, but it's totally meaningless. The opening seems like it's setting up some kind of comedy version of Timecrimes, but instead the opening is basically pointless.

It does sound like I enjoyed it more than you. It did make me laugh some, it was amusing at times, but it was also so disappointing. I wouldn't disagree with it being bad.
I watched 1987's THE BELIEVERS starring Martin Sheen tonight, and I'd say it's cult shenanigans done pretty well.

The movie tries for a matter-of-fact sort of feel with its cult and voodoo-type stuff, rather than approaching it from an angle of pure sensationalism or exploitation, and I think that sets the film apart from other offerings of the era to deal with such matters. It takes cues from things like THE SEVENTH VICTIM and ROSEMARY’S BABY in the way it presents a secret cabal of ritualistic practitioners operating under the surface in New York City, and also foreshadows stuff like THE SERPENT AND THE RAINBOW with its depiction of said rituals.

There's good roster of character actors here, headlined by the reliable Sheen; they’re all taking the material seriously, and that’s appreciated. Jimmy Smits is particularly great as a man succumbing to intense paranoia and fear... and maybe some malevolent supernatural forces, too.

John Schlesinger’s the sort of nuts-and-bolts director well-suited to tense, sinister thrillers like this (and his classic, MARATHON MAN), and the screenplay is fairly sharp, presenting us with pretty likable, human characters; it does a fine job of setting the genre elements against the backdrop of a surprisingly effective and nuanced look at a father and son dealing with grief and loss, before amping up the intensity as things progress to a suspenseful climax.

This is a film that has seemingly been either forgotten or undiscovered, and that’s too bad, because it’s solid.
The Believers used to come on tv all the time. Some of that may have been the local Fox weekend movie thing, so some of it could have been regional; but it was also one of those things like Funhouse that '90s TNT or TBS played a lot, and HBO would run it at time sometimes. Only it played way more than I ever saw Funhouse on tv. Comet does (and I'm assuming ThisTV still does) play it from time to time. It's got that one really great spider scene, every time I think of that movie I think of that scene.

It's one of those weird movie that I'm guessing lots of people of have probably seen (unless they're like under 20 or 25) because it played on tv so much, but it's not one you hear lots of talk about.