Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
The spider scene is good, but the thing that really got me was a quick reveal involving snakes being in a place snakes should never, ever be.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs is going to turn into a weekly thing on Shudder starting March 29th.

As somebody who grew up on Monstervision, this is the television announcement I've been waiting for.
I watched Fulci's "New York Ripper" last night. I'm not one of those people who has any great fondness for the Big Apple, so I love movies that show Manhattan (and 42nd Street in particular) in all its scummy, sleazy, pre-Giuliani glory. Also, any movie with an opening credits sequence that unfolds over a freeze frame of a moldy severed hand in a dog's mouth is deserving of high praise.

The movie's about a serial killer that talks like a duck and terrorizes various badly-dubbed, sex positive people in NYC. It's Fulci riffing on (or ripping off) De Palma, more or less. Highly recommended!
Visited "The Gate II" tonight. While not anywhere as great as the first "Gate", it holds its own as further continuation of Terry's family dysfunction only hinted at in the first film. Louis Tripp had a Scott Grimes-like quality to him; just good enough to carry a film provided a supporting cast could back him up, mostly in the form of Pamela Segall (much like Grimes did with Liane Curtis in Critters II). The effects are a step down from before but the Minions are still awesome to see in action.
Giving money to the studio that keeps enabling Adam Sandler is morally equivalent to Satanic kitten rape orgies. - Hypnotoad
I can remember when the first Gate came out. And having just watched Steven Dorff do a fairly convincing job of playing a man in his 70s in True Detective, I now feel really old.

"Treehouse", the new episode of Hulu's Into the Dark is out, and it is very good indeed (I would place it second best overall, after "New Year, New You"). I love that they chose the Ides of March as their holiday.
(03-01-2019, 06:58 PM)mike j Wrote: The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs is going to turn into a weekly thing on Shudder starting March 29th.

As somebody who grew up on Monstervision, this is the television announcement I've been waiting for.

Nine weeks, two movies a week, equaling eighteen new entries. It’s great news!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I watched Overlord tonight.

Not sure why this got hate, I really liked it. A nice compact little movie with lots of action, scares, and gore.

So it switched from war movie to horror movie halfway through, but I thought it worked.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
(03-03-2019, 01:38 AM)electrichead Wrote: I watched Overlord tonight.

I'm sure you liked what you saw.

[Image: tenor.gif]
If you closed the blinds we wouldn't have these problems.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
Yeah, that movie’s a blast. I wanna see it again.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(03-03-2019, 02:15 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: I wanna see it again.

Sorry.  Only once per customer.
(03-03-2019, 01:38 AM)electrichead Wrote: I watched Overlord tonight.

Not sure why this got hate, I really liked it. A nice compact little movie with lots of action, scares, and gore.

So it switched from war movie to horror movie halfway through, but I thought it worked.

It needed more horror when the switch happened. Or more precisely when the horror happens it needed to be bigger, crazier, and gorier than what they did. When it gets into the zombie sci-fi horror part, the part the movie had been building to, it needed to explode. But it doesn't. The lab needed more weird shit in it. There needed to be more zombies running around. When that Nazi Zombie guy opens all those lockers full of zombies they should have been part of the end fight. The end fight between the two guys with super human straight should have looked like some cross between Riki-Oh, Dead Snow 2, and Terminator 3. It just needed more, or, it needed to go in a whole different direction. It's kind of like it wanted to be this big huge pulpy extravaganza...but also this smaller intimate version of it. If it wasn't going to go bigger with the direction they went, which seems to beg for more than where they went, it seems like they should have just went the Night of the Living Dead route and had them all held up in the French girls place or something fending off a zombie attack. Although that too would also involved more zombies than the movie had. The weird thing about Overlord is I feel like I can see all the parts to it, like I can see all the references, but everything (and specifically when it does its switch) feels pulled back from what it's taking from. Like I'm pretty sure the end fight is riffing of Re-Animator (among other things) but Re-Animator has a headless zombie commanding a group of weird naked zombies and ends with said headless zombie using his intestines like tentacles.

It's still mostly fun, it just seems like it could have been a lot better.

I'm kind of mixed on the zombie designs too. I don't exactly hate them, and Nazi Zombie guy has a nice look, but the generic ones we see just kind of look like greased up guys. Given the whole pulpy comic book nature of the whole thing, it seems like the zombies could been more like something out of a Tales from the Crypt comic; even if they still wanted to make them all greasy looking.
I watched Henenlotter's Brain Damage on Shudder. It's easily as much fun as Basket Case and Frankenhooker.
I received the Scream Factory release of Hammer Films' THE PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES for my birthday, and I sat down with that tonight.

Revisiting it for the first time in probably ten years now has me convinced it’s one of Hammer’s very best horror pictures. True, we don’t have Christopher Lee or Peter Cushing on hand, but we do have absolutely top-flight mood, an engaging paranormal mystery (complete with not just zombies, but a weird cult, as well!), and some properly effective, unsettling imagery.

The appearances of the titular ghouls, though limited for much of the movie, are quite potent and memorable, as is the surprisingly grisly (for this era of Hammer) bloodletting and violence; there is a nightmare sequence in here involving a mass exodus from the grave that, for my money, is one of the great Hammer moments.

More than anything, though, what I appreciate about the film is that it’s not relying on vampires, mummies, or Frankenstein - the studio’s more traditional and ubiquitous subjects - for its story. This is one of the truly unique offerings in the Hammer filmography. It ends strong, too, which certainly doesn’t hurt!

This is an essential one for Hammer fans.
(03-03-2019, 07:35 PM)mike j Wrote: I watched Henenlotter's Brain Damage on Shudder. It's easily as much fun as Basket Case and Frankenhooker.

I just watched Brain Damage for the first time last weekend as well. It was a lot of fun, and just a bit unsettling. That fellatio scene, holy hell.  I'll definitely have to check out Basket Case now.
I'll be takin' these Huggies and uh... whatever cash you got.
I've never really liked Basket Case, but I love Frankenhooker.

How the hell did Patty Mullen not become a thing? She should have been all over the place after Frankenhooker.
Amazon Prime continues to post classic movies to their service. I just saw that Bava's BLOOD AND BLACK LACE is on there. Highly recommended.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Just ordered Plague of the Zombies per your recommendation Belloq. Sounds right up my alley.

Gonna check out Blood and Black Lace as well too, now.

Good stuff lately, guys. I love finding out about shit that I never knew existed..
(03-11-2019, 05:24 PM)Mangy Wrote: I just saw that Bava's BLOOD AND BLACK LACE is on there. Highly recommended.

Seconded.

(03-11-2019, 05:41 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Just ordered Plague of the Zombies per your recommendation Belloq. Sounds right up my alley.

If you dig Hammer, I think you'll enjoy. Nice supplements package on the Scream Factory Blu if you went that route, too.
Oh yeah, that new one? That's what I ordered. I'm a huge Hammer head (lulz)..
So this one is sort of a borderline Horror, depending on your definition, but Climax, the new Gaspar Noe film, is pretty metal. It's very much a 'not for everyone' type of film, but I enjoyed it more than pretty much anything else I've seen this year. It's a simple premise - a french dance team throws a party and someone spikes the punch with powerful LSD - but it's all the premise required for some absolutely thrilling technique, both from the performers (all of them elite-level modern dance professionals) and from Noe's camera, flying all over the damn place, upside down and 180 vertical degrees. It starts with a one-shot that rivals anything Cuaron's done, and only gets more impressive as it goes.

The cast is terrific, especially for being obviously all dancers first. They're paired extremely well with one another, and the verisimilitude is powerful, especially when they start getting high. Sofia Boutella is the only familiar face here, and while I've always found her striking, this was the first time I thought she was exceptional, likely because she's playing something she's very familiar with (an elite level dancer with likely a passing familiarity with party drugs). She's got a freak out scene that struck me as one of the most accurate bad drug trips I've ever seen on film.

Even though I said it's borderline Horror, it'll certainly fuck you up. It's a pretty grueling film (though at an hour and a half, nowhere near as much as past Noe). I mean, there's virtually no one I know who I'd recommend it to, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, and would strongly recommend seeing it in theater rather than at home, if you're at all inclined. I had an enormous blast with it, thought it was fun and funny.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
One of the security guys at work recommended that to one to me yesterday.
I watched the Brian Yuzna alien abduction flick PROGENY a couple nights back. Definitely has that 90's DTV feel - your leading man is Arnold Vosloo - but the script, co-written by Stuart Gordon, is really well put together and the supporting cast is a lot of fun (Brad Dourif as a UFO expert, Wilford Brimley as a gynecologist). Enjoyed it quite a bit.
I saw Climax. It's pretty good.
Watched an Indian movie called Tumbbad, it's pretty good, even kind of great. It's very much got a fairy tale quality to it which is pretty nice. It's a story of greed, a kind of There Will Be Blood if instead of oil it was an evil bread vampire god you stole gold from. It's definitely worth watching.

It does dispense out music numbers (although the characters don't just break out into song like a musical, they are very much the kind of songs you'd expect in a musical, and if a narrator just showed up singing the song like in The Threepenny Opera it wouldn't have been surprising) by way of montage somewhat odd, at one point there's two almost back to back before they disappear for a long stretch. This only seems weird because the movie goes through a whole first chapter without any of this at all.
I watched Herzog’s Nosferatu for the first time yesterday and adored it. It’s an absolutely gorgeous looking film, with some wonderful performances and a handful of creepily effective moments. It’s one of the more atmospheric horror films I’ve seen and I’m not sure why it took me so long to finally sit down to watch it. I still have the German version to see, which apparently is a slightly different cut of the film.
I haven't seen the Herzog version since I was a kid. As a devoted fan of the silent film, I probably should get around to the Herzog again. Maybe during the October Horror Movie Challenge.
I wish someone would release that long lost, long sought after (by me) super gruesome, Marvel(?!) produced, anime Frankenstein film. I'd love to see it again because what I remember of it was pretty rad.

I had to find out what it was through the "Official Help Me Figure Out the Name of a Movie" thread because I had seen the film in like 1985 and HOW I saw it back then is a great mystery to me. This was 1985! We didn't even have cable yet. Just ABC, NBC, CBS, maybe PBS. And I'm pretty sure Belle's Pharmacy (where we rented VHS tapes at the time) didn't have something as obscure as that. But I clearly remember watching it in the living room of our old house at the lake and being HORRIFIED by it. Seeing someone wake up to a bloody severed boar's head stuck in the bathtub with them in a "cartoon" was fucking traumatizing for a 4/5 year old. I think there was a Dracula one too. These seem like they should be ripe for rediscovery..
(03-16-2019, 10:58 AM)fraid uh noman Wrote: I wish someone would release that long lost, long sought after (by me) super gruesome, Marvel(?!) produced, anime Frankenstein film. I'd love to see it again because what I remember of it was pretty rad.

I had to find out what it was through the "Official Help Me Figure Out the Name of a Movie" thread because I had seen the film in like 1985 and HOW I saw it back then is a great mystery to me. This was 1985! We didn't even have cable yet. Just ABC, NBC, CBS, maybe PBS. And I'm pretty sure Belle's Pharmacy (where we rented VHS tapes at the time) didn't have something as obscure as that. But I clearly remember watching it in the living room of our old house at the lake and being HORRIFIED by it. Seeing someone wake up to a bloody severed boar's head stuck in the bathtub with them in a "cartoon" was fucking traumatizing for a 4/5 year old. I think there was a Dracula one too. These seem like they should be ripe for rediscovery..

Sounds intriguing!  These?
[Image: s-l1000.jpg]
Yes! That's them. I don't recall ever seeing the Dracula one but don't let the covers fool you...they're fucked up. Bloody and gory and surreal. Like I said....a fucking boar's head stuck on the shower head in a bloody bath tub. Shout/Scream should make blus of them.

Again, the creep factor is upped by my bafflement at how I ever saw that movie in the early 80s. It's like some kind of Mandela effect thing. Just....how?
I'm going to have to investigate these.
Me too. Cuz I wanna see the Frankenstein one again. And not having seen Dracula, I don't know what horrors it holds..

My bad.....looks more like a horse head..
(03-12-2019, 02:25 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: So this one is sort of a borderline Horror, depending on your definition, but Climax, the new Gaspar Noe film, is pretty metal. It's very much a 'not for everyone' type of film, but I enjoyed it more than pretty much anything else I've seen this year. It's a simple premise - a french dance team throws a party and someone spikes the punch with powerful LSD - but it's all the premise required for some absolutely thrilling technique, both from the performers (all of them elite-level modern dance professionals) and from Noe's camera, flying all over the damn place, upside down and 180 vertical degrees. It starts with a one-shot that rivals anything Cuaron's done, and only gets more impressive as it goes.

The cast is terrific, especially for being obviously all dancers first. They're paired extremely well with one another, and the verisimilitude is powerful, especially when they start getting high. Sofia Boutella is the only familiar face here, and while I've always found her striking, this was the first time I thought she was exceptional, likely because she's playing something she's very familiar with (an elite level dancer with likely a passing familiarity with party drugs). She's got a freak out scene that struck me as one of the most accurate bad drug trips I've ever seen on film.

Even though I said it's borderline Horror, it'll certainly fuck you up. It's a pretty grueling film (though at an hour and a half, nowhere near as much as past Noe). I mean, there's virtually no one I know who I'd recommend it to, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, and would strongly recommend seeing it in theater rather than at home, if you're at all inclined. I had an enormous blast with it, thought it was fun and funny.

I liked this, too, although "liked" might be the wrong word.  It kind of does for LSD what REQUIEM FOR A DREAM does for heroin.  It's pretty insane, but admirably so.  And, as far as mixing dance and horror, I liked this waaaaay more than the SUSPIRIA remake.
"Lets pour some sugar on Dallas!!  Seriose inquarys only!"
(03-16-2019, 11:24 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: I'm going to have to investigate these.

Ditto. Never heard of them before. Look very interesting indeed.
Fraid, I found a site that sells a DVD-R of that Frankenstein anime:

https://stores.sumogorilla.com/all-dvds/...error-dvd/
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.