Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
ACHANNEL ZERO was the shit. Loved it. But I've yet to watch NO END HOUSE for some reason.
AOh wow, it feels like it’s back really soon, that’s awesome. It seems like this one is REALLY different from the series of stories that it’s based on, hopefully in a good way. I really liked the stories (from NoSleep on reddit, I think the series is referred to as Search and Rescue, about a guy who does s&r in national parks and learns about anstrange phenomenon of staircases leading nowhere in the middle of the deep woods, and other eerie occurances). I guess the stories didn’t have a very cinematic plot arc, so I understand the change but I’m hoping it still retains a little of the isolation of the setting and uncanny mystery of the stairs.

Yeah, I feel like I've been dropping the ball on "Channel Zero."  I need to get on that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

Yeah, I feel like I've been dropping the ball on "Channel Zero."  I need to get on that.

You really do, both seasons are spectacular.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzy dunlop View Post

SyFy's excellent anthology series CHANNEL ZERO returns tomorrow night.  Everyone should watch it if they can.  'No-End House' was some of the best horror television I've ever seen. 

Whoa it's back already?

Coming in March:

This played in Chicago in 35mm a few months back.  I wish I could've made it.

A[quote name="Waaaaaaaalt" url="/community/t/109826/horror-recommendation-or-warning-thread/19680#post_4467634"]You really do, both seasons are spectacular. 
[/quote]

Dunno if I agree with the both seasons part. S1 is definitely worth watching for the atmosphere and imagery but IMHO there was a huge jump between that and S2, which was better than most recent horror movies I've seen on pretty much every level. Looking forward to the new season. Rutger Hauer!

I think it was Arjen who brilliantly described S1 (Candle Cove) as Stephen King's IT by way of David Lynch.  That's a pretty accurate description that takes into account S1's successes and shortcomings.

S2 (No-End House) is the stronger season, no question.  Its much more assured and willing to jettison any pretense of narrative in favor of imagery and dream logic, although there are some surprisingly emotional character beats that really work.   

A[quote name="fuzzy dunlop" url="/community/t/109826/horror-recommendation-or-warning-thread/19650#post_4467680"]I think it was Arjen who brilliantly described S1 (Candle Cove) as Stephen King's IT by way of David Lynch.  That's a pretty accurate description that takes into account S1's successes and shortcomings. 

S2 (No-End House) is the stronger season, no question.  Its much more assured and willing to jettison any pretense of narrative in favor of imagery and dream logic, although there are some surprisingly emotional character beats that really work.      
[/quote]

I too have neglected watching Channel Zero. I’ve always assumed it was an anthology show like Twilight Zone (or Black Mirror if a more modern reference is preferred), in that every episode is independent from the last, but the way you describe it makes me wonder if it’s more like American Horror story, where every season is a self contained story.

Or is it something in between where some episodes are more or less complete stories and others are a part of a larger seasonal arc?

Victor Crowley (2018)

I saw this one this week. What a stinker. Extreme low budget, few and less creative/memorable kills, only a couple sets and rreally annoying actors you can't wait to see offed.

See this only if you're having trouble sleeping.             It should be only shown in drive-ins during the day!

AI went to a screening of it a couple months ago. I know someone who'd worked on it, and her experience was miserable. It was actually better than I expected. But oh man, were my expectations low.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim K View Post

I too have neglected watching Channel Zero. I’ve always assumed it was an anthology show like Twilight Zone (or Black Mirror if a more modern reference is preferred), in that every episode is independent from the last, but the way you describe it makes me wonder if it’s more like American Horror story, where every season is a self contained story.

Or is it something in between where some episodes are more or less complete stories and others are a part of a larger seasonal arc?

Each season is its own self-contained 6-episode story.

The set of the plane was hilariously bad, the seats didn't even match!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Benenson View Post

Oh wow, it feels like it’s back really soon, that’s awesome. It seems like this one is REALLY different from the series of stories that it’s based on, hopefully in a good way. I really liked the stories (from NoSleep on reddit, I think the series is referred to as Search and Rescue, about a guy who does s&r in national parks and learns about anstrange phenomenon of staircases leading nowhere in the middle of the deep woods, and other eerie occurances). I guess the stories didn’t have a very cinematic plot arc, so I understand the change but I’m hoping it still retains a little of the isolation of the setting and uncanny mystery of the stairs.

The idea of an area in a forest with eerie occurrences can be in the vein of Twin Peaks.

I liked the first two seasons, so I will be watching this season for sure.

Are the other seasons streaming online somewhere for a revisit?

I also saw the new HELLRAISER film, which they don't even bother numbering anymore.

again, a no budget adventure. The Cenobites are hanging out in a ratty boarded up house.

People get lured in by a halfway presentable baddie, and then get tortured ( I dunno, there's chains

whipping around and the walls are just painted with blood splatter. There's very low lighting so you can't

really make anything out--like a purpouse to all this.

There's a new guy playing Pinhead.

He looks (not fat like the last guy) and sounds good (not quite dynamic

as Doug Bradley) but he's in it briefly with nothing to do, and no memorable Pinhead quotes.

ADamn....Pinhead in that bottom pic looks like he went into an uppity restaurant with Tom Sizemore and they made him go in the back and put on a dinner jacket before they would seat him..
A[quote name="stevehauk" url="/community/t/109826/horror-recommendation-or-warning-thread/19680#post_4467779"]The set of the plane was hilariously bad, the seats didn't even match!
[/quote]

The plane apparently sunk in the lake where they were filming. Why they actually needed to partially submerge the plane in an actual swamp made no sense, since most of the film is set *inside* the plane.
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevehauk View Post

He looks (not fat like the last guy) and sounds good (not quite dynamic

as Doug Bradley) but he's in it briefly with nothing to do, and no memorable Pinhead quotes.

"We have such sights to show you...in the Champagne Room."

AI was planning on watching Victor Crowley later on this week, having just rewatched some of Adam Green's earlier stuff. Could never get on the Hatchet series hate train, those movies do what slashers are supposed to do and some of the kills are just bananas. They don't really make me laugh, but when it comes to horror movies with a dumb/juvenile sense of humour, I find them more palatable than certain Eli Roth movies from around the same time. Also the expanded Crowley origin story in II is actually pretty great. As for Frozen, that one still has a visceral power to it that makes you glad you're just watching a movie, and not trapped somewhere freezing your face off or surrounded by wolves who haven't had dinner yet.

Never seen Digging up the Marrow, what's the word on that one?
A[quote name="Electrichead" url="/community/t/109826/horror-recommendation-or-warning-thread/19680#post_4467788"]
Are the other seasons streaming online somewhere for a revisit?
[/quote]

If you have a cable or satellite package with Sy Fy channel, I think you can login to the SF app or website and watch the old episodes on there if they are still up. I don't think Netflix or Hulu have Channel Zero.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disciple_72 View Post

Never seen Digging up the Marrow, what's the word on that one?

I liked it. I mean I hate Found Footage and I liked it so.....I guess that's saying something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccc View Post

Going from 5M to 40-50M?  And that's why Blumhouse is good.

Indeed. I can do a lot of complaining about them but at least their movies aren't wildly overbudget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

Heaven's Gate is the classic example of what not to do.

The book Final Cut by Steven Bach is a fascinating look at the making of Heaven's Gate from the perspective of United Artists, and also explains what the filmmaking scene was like back then. The book made Michael Cimino seem like a real nightmare to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehauk View Post

Victor Crowley (2018)

I saw this one this week. What a stinker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post
I went to a screening of it a couple months ago. I know someone who'd worked on it, and her experience was miserable. It was actually better than I expected. But oh man, were my expectations low.

I remember you mentioning last year how you knew someone who was a crew member on the film and how the filming was a total shitshow. The first film I don't like, the second is average (but I was one of the few who got to see the unrated version theatrically, AND Kane Hodder was there in person), and third I despise, mainly for having such a loathsome protagonist, and having even worse humor than usual from an Adam Green movie. I suppose I have to see the new one eventually; knowing it's inept means I hope it's in a funny way as that would make it easier and not something  I have to struggle to finish.

AI never got the love for his Hatchet films to begin with?
AWatched it last night, and didn't hate it! Despite seeing the whole series, I was never into them. This feels like the cheapest (there's a talk show segment where the studio feels like a parking garage), but it may be the most spirited.

I give it a 3.79999 out of 10.
A[quote name="Waaaaaaaalt" url="/community/t/109826/horror-recommendation-or-warning-thread/19680#post_4468098"]I liked it. I mean I hate Found Footage and I liked it so.....I guess that's saying something.
[/quote]

Well I'm probably the most pitiful FF apologist these boards have ever seen, so I'm looking forward to it.
A[quote name="cccc" url="/community/t/109826/horror-recommendation-or-warning-thread/19680#post_4468280"]I never got the love for his Hatchet films to begin with?[/quote]

Does anybody really love them? I do remember a lot of people hating them though, possibly because the first movie was hyped up as the saviour of modern horror or something like that. To me, they're lightly amusing, super gory slashers. They're pretty harmless movies.
AI remember posting a negative review of the first film on MySpace.

Having missed its theatrical run, I watched The Ritual tonight and enjoyed it a lot. It's not exactly groundbreaking but it's well acted and paced, and the ending is (at least in my opinion) actually better than that of the book on which it's based. If you're after a well directed, albeit slightly predictable, horror movie where a group of hikers lost in the woods make the type of mistakes anyone who has ever seen a horror movie would typically avoid, then The Ritual has you covered for around an hour and a half.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Having missed its theatrical run, I watched The Ritual tonight and enjoyed it a lot. It's not exactly groundbreaking but it's well acted and paced, and the ending is (at least in my opinion) actually better than that of the book on which it's based. If you're after a well directed, albeit slightly predictable, horror movie where a group of hikers lost in the woods make the type of mistakes anyone who has ever seen a horror movie would typically avoid, then The Ritual has you covered for around an hour and a half.

I've been interested in this since Mark Kermode reviewed it last year.  I'll be checking it out over the weekend.

AIs Adam Wingard's Death Note any good?
AI have a very basic knowledge of the show, but I've never seem a single episode.

But as a fan of Wingard, I dug the film. It may not completely stand on its own, but it's a fun little FINAL DESTINATION style thriller.

I just finished watching the 1972 giallo, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO SOLANGE?

It's very much a prototypical giallo, featuring a murder mystery, a black-gloved killer, a private citizen protagonist who must play detective to find the killer, lurid (often sadistic) violence, and strange sexual overtones.  Beyond that, it's a fairly stylish, well-made picture, featuring moments of quite elegant direction, as well as an effective score from the great Ennio Morricone.

The movie is a solid, by-the-numbers giallo until the third act, which culminates in a fairly shocking revelation that is either in glorious bad taste... or just regular bad taste.  But either way, it's a memorable climax.

It won't be for everybody, but giallo fans will surely find plenty to appreciate.

AThat final revelation is truly the piece de resistance. Solange's power doesn't come from intense and elaborate Argento style set piece sequences, instead it is all about generating an atmosphere of sustained sleaziness and voyeurism and disturbing sexual violence. Thus before we find out the killer's motivation or the explanation behind that specific M.O., we spend the previous 90 minutes with a protagonist who just can't keep his hands off the students, plus various red herring weirdos such as the peeping tom teacher. I'd say the whole movie is in poor taste. Hell of a giallo, though.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disciple_72 View Post

That final revelation is truly the piece de resistance. Solange's power doesn't come from intense and elaborate Argento style set piece sequences, instead it is all about generating an atmosphere of sustained sleaziness and voyeurism and disturbing sexual violence. Thus before we find out the killer's motivation or the explanation behind that specific M.O., we spend the previous 90 minutes with a protagonist who just can't keep his hands off the students, plus various red herring weirdos such as the peeping tom teacher. I'd say the whole movie is in poor taste. Hell of a giallo, though.

That pretty much sums it up.

There's also a nice misdirect in terms of which characters the movie gets us to think are important enough to be around until the final reel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post

I just finished watching the 1972 giallo, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO SOLANGE?

It's very much a prototypical giallo, featuring a murder mystery, a black-gloved killer, a private citizen protagonist who must play detective to find the killer, lurid (often sadistic) violence, and strange sexual overtones.  Beyond that, it's a fairly stylish, well-made picture, featuring moments of quite elegant direction, as well as an effective score from the great Ennio Morricone.

The movie is a solid, by-the-numbers giallo until the third act, which culminates in a fairly shocking revelation that is either in glorious bad taste... or just regular bad taste.  But either way, it's a memorable climax.

It won't be for everybody, but giallo fans will surely find plenty to appreciate.

I saw this recently and the opening scene with the girls riding bicycles reminded me of The Duke of Burgandy (which is, in itself, pretty great).  Looked it up and it says this movie was partially an influence on it.  Pretty good for a giallo.  I should note that TDB is not a giallo.  It's a pretty weird movie though.

Credit sequence features one of the main characters riding a bike: