Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
I re-watched the 80's APRIL FOOL'S DAY yesterday. I think I love it now more than I did back then.
Now I rock a house party at the drop of a hat
(04-17-2018, 03:47 AM)Fat Elvis Wrote: The Savage Stack - THE BOYS NEXT DOOR (1985)
Penelope Spheeris mixes punk rock and serial murder for a chilling look at a pair of handsome spree killers.

This weekend, it’s all about girls, booze and letting off a lot of steam; they're wild animals finally released from any sort of societal leash. All the while, Spheeris has handpicked a collection of metal and punk, ranging from Great White, to The Cramps, to Code Blue, all ear-splitters soundtracking this descent into hell. "

That sounds like a typical weekend for Sheen back in the day.
(an easy joke I know...)
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
It's been a while for both the Texas Chainsaw remake and the prequel, but I remember liking the latter more as well.

Tonight, I re-watched Jennifer's Body for the first time in almost a decade (I can't believe it's that old, by the way).  I know not everyone liked that one, but I still enjoy it.  The comedy works for me to an extent, but I like the characters way more than most teenage horror flicks and think Karyn Kusama does an excellent job directing it.  It hits many of the same beats that Ginger Snaps did years earlier, so I wouldn't call it particularly original outside of Cody's writing.
At some point, I should go back and give JENNIFER'S BODY another shot; I remember being irritated by the Diablo Cody-ness, and I probably didn't meet the film half way as a result. Kusama really blew me away with THE INVITATION, which was tense, emotional, and masterfully directed.

DEEP BLUE SEA 2 is a thing that exists, and I watched it last night. You all should not watch it. The trailer promised something slightly better than the Asylum / SHARKNADO shit, but alas. We all need to appreciate the slick polished studio-backed shark attack flicks, like THE SHALLOWS and the upcoming MEG. This subgenre is a wasteland beyond that stuff.
The recent Aussie movie Bait was actually rather decent, expanding on those LL Cool J/Saffron Burrows trapped with sharks in a flooded area sequences from Deep Blue Sea. Modest budget, but plenty of spunk.

(04-17-2018, 05:10 PM)dan benenson Wrote: One last thing about downer endings, it depends entirely on the execution but what I like about a good one is not that it's shocking but that there's some sort of grim inevitability to it, which is almost the opposite.

This sounds weird but I kind of take a macabre glee in that nihilistic feeling that fate is inescapable or that there are powers at work beyond mortal ability to adequately comprehend or overcome. That's a disturbing feeling to me and thus a perfectly appropriate ending to many horror movies, even when I know it's coming. Sometimes even *because* I know it's coming. It can be oddly satisfying - the universe is NOT good or forgiving, you will NOT be saved, and that's what you came here to see and feel. When that's done well it gives me goosebumps.

Personally I was always drawn to downer endings in horror and I'm finally starting to understand why. Unlike regular movies with their regular endings, the great downers didn't try to pacify us with the false comfort that everything is going to be ok, and were much more honest about what a horrible place this world really is. Like I first watched Fulci movies as a child but it is only now in my forties that I can truly appreciate the artistic sentiment behind David Warbeck and Catriona MacColl becoming trapped forever in that barren hellscape, their eyes blighted.
Twitter Truth: "Dawn of the Dead '78 really couldn't ask for a better unofficial prequel than Fulci's Zombie. Snaps in nicely as an explaination of the invasion and events leading up to Dawn if one chooses to view it that way."

https://twitter.com/ghoulbasement/status...9256961025
Now I rock a house party at the drop of a hat
If it completely falls into the horror category, I'll let others decide, but I caught Woman in the Dunes for the first time last night.  Woah.  So many layers and theories regarding its deep meanings.  I loved every second, and it's one of the most beautifully shot movies ever.
Revisited ORPHAN for the first time since theaters. I had always worried that it wouldn't hold up on repeat viewings, as most of its perverse thrills are predicated on the twists and turns in the plot, and not knowing quite how far Jaume Collet-Serra is willing to go. Those worries proved to be unfounded, and the film was far nastier than I remembered. It might be a touch too long, but the extra time upfront is mostly in service of solid character work; and if you squint, you can see the skeleton of a Stephen King domestic drama - a cheating father, a mother battling addiction, etc. I really like this one.
Friend Request, which, yes, was released in North American theaters last year, was recently added to Netflix.  It's bad and formulaic, but a few jump scares are fine enough and the fact that the main protagonist (MINOR SPOILERS!) still has hundreds of friends after the entity continues to post the murders on her social network page certainly seems like satire.

It was filmed in South Africa with a $10 million budget, so the production is sort of slick and it includes some interesting animation work.  Am I recommending it?  Eh, not exactly, but I've seen much worse.

I'd rather watch Unfriended again, which is one of the more underrated horror flicks of the decade and one of the better found footage flicks.

EDIT: I should point out that the film's low box office isn't a surprise. Making a film where an outcast bullies the much cooler kids isn't exactly aligning with people's tastes nowadays.
My favorite thing about Friend Request was the ghoulish contempt it has for losers and social misfits. If I recall it right (which is questionable), the villainous nerd girl is the victim of domestic abuse, and the movie’s response is essentially ‘Eeeeewwww!’ Very outdated and tasteless, in a fun way.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Well the movie didn't handle it well but I THINK it was supposed to be about the exhaustion of trying to help a damaged person. Like you try to be nice but their issues shit take over and their behavior gets weird and then you want some distance from them but then that makes their issues worse because they are feeling rejected yet again......lets just say I may have been in this situation a couple times when I was younger. That exhausting need for attention can feel inescapable.

The ending as usual didn't work but mostly because it didn't quite make sense. Like she just wants a friend but then.......yeah doesn't work.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
That's a great horror movie conceit - The Babadook absolutely nails it - but also maybe giving Friend Request a bit too much credit. As framed in the movie, the big mistake the popular girl lead makes is ever giving this outcast the time of day to begin with. But then, I wasn't offended, this cavalier attitude was one of my favorite parts.

I just saw Ghost Stories, the new Amicus-inspired anthology film with Martin Freeman, at maybe the only theater it's playing in America. Martin Freeman was there and everything. It's available on VOD though. Sadly, I was pretty disappointed with it. I had high expectations, to be fair, but this one didn't work for me. It's got a great aesthetic and a game cast, and I really wanted to root for it. But the payoffs are meager until the very end, when the framing device becomes important, and that doesn't really shock or inform like I wanted it to either.

A big issues is that the stories themselves are barely even stories. They're presented as three cases that the central ghost debunkers are unable to disprove, but then they end up all basically boiling down to someone finds themselves alone in a creepy environment and something jumps out at them. It's all cinematic jump scares, and they are reasonably well done, if not terrific. But there's virtually nothing else there. They also all just end, seemingly five minutes before the payoff. This is sort of because of the actual ending of the film, but not really.

The bitch is the set up for each story is wonderful. Every time, I'm getting into it, and then it ends up going nowhere. I would love to see this on stage, as it would be impossible for it to function the same way. It would have to involve more storytelling, which is what this was really missing out on.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(04-21-2018, 10:01 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: I just saw Ghost Stories, the new Amicus-inspired anthology film with Martin Freeman, at maybe the only theater it's playing in America. Martin Freeman was there and everything. It's available on VOD though. Sadly, I was pretty disappointed with it. I had high expectations, to be fair, but this one didn't work for me. It's got a great aesthetic and a game cast, and I really wanted to root for it. But the payoffs are meager until the very end, when the framing device becomes important, and that doesn't really shock or inform like I wanted it to either.

A big issues is that the stories themselves are barely even stories. They're presented as three cases that the central ghost debunkers are unable to disprove, but then they end up all basically boiling down to someone finds themselves alone in a creepy environment and something jumps out at them. It's all cinematic jump scares, and they are reasonably well done, if not terrific. But there's virtually nothing else there. They also all just end, seemingly five minutes before the payoff. This is sort of because of the actual ending of the film, but not really.

The bitch is the set up for each story is wonderful. Every time, I'm getting into it, and then it ends up going nowhere. I would love to see this on stage, as it would be impossible for it to function the same way. It would have to involve more storytelling, which is what this was really missing out on.

GHOST STORIES is on my docket for tonight, and your reaction is similar to others I've seen. Nevertheless, I'm intrigued.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
The new Puppet Master flick is getting fun reviews, it seems:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews/349...d-pleaser/

Quote:Before the world premiere of Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich at the Overlook Film Festival, producers Dallas Sonnier (new owner of Fangoria) and Amanda Presmyk took to the stage to give a brief introduction, not that these beloved pint-sized terrors really needed any introduction. Sonnier chuckled as he revealed the only bit of information that audiences would ever need about this reboot; thanks to S. Craig Zahler’s (Bone Tomahawk, Brawl in Cell Block 99) script, this film was guaranteed to be unrated, because it will never pass as an R-rated film. The film absolutely lived up to this assessment, delivering a crowd-pleasing rowdy time so bonkers in its gore and offensive humor that it tops nearly everything about the beloved Full Moon franchise.

A ridiculous amount of gore is one way to have another one of these flicks stand out in a sea of horror releases.
How the hell did they get Zahler to write the screenplay? If nothing else, the movie should have far and away the best dialogue in the franchise.
(04-18-2018, 10:37 AM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: DEEP BLUE SEA 2 is a thing that exists, and I watched it last night.  You all should not watch it.

I know someone who actually blind-bought it; they did not know any better and they should have asked me to help them rent it online. They did not hate the film yet their tastes are rather different than mine.

(04-18-2018, 03:55 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: Twitter Truth:  "Dawn of the Dead '78 really couldn't ask for a better unofficial prequel than Fulci's Zombie. Snaps in nicely as an explaination of the invasion and events leading up to Dawn if one chooses to view it that way."

I never thought of it that way but it does make sense.

(04-19-2018, 10:58 AM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: Revisited ORPHAN for the first time since theaters.

I am glad that I also enjoy watching the film on rewatches considering the plot twists are so important.

(04-21-2018, 03:29 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: The new Puppet Master flick is getting fun reviews, it seems:

(04-21-2018, 03:39 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: How the hell did they get Zahler to write the screenplay?  If nothing else, the movie should have far and away the best dialogue in the franchise.
That is surprising but I can only guess that he loved watching those movies when he was younger so he was willing to write the script for a franchise he has a soft spot for.
"It was so bad my friend got up and left in the middle to go have an affair instead. Not kidding."-- shaunh, referring to The Lords of Salem

My Letterboxd Page
(04-21-2018, 04:30 PM)The Perfect Weapon Wrote: That is surprising but I can only guess that he loved watching those movies when he was younger so he was willing to write the script for a franchise he has a soft spot for.

Probably the most likely reason.  Good for him!
Yeah this is kind of wonderful news.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I think I bailed on the Puppet Master series after the third one. Pretty fun, but I'm a Chucky guy til I die. I see the only way for me to get caught up now would be to subscribe to the Full Moon add-on channel on Amazon. LOL I don't think so. Will probably check out the new one though, hopefully you don't need to have seen the previous 37 films in the series to understand what's going on. I wonder if these things have any sort of continuity.
Someone uploaded the animated intro to the new Puppet Master on YouTube. I gotta admit, I got legitimate chills watching it. The movie looks great.
Early February I watched The Omen and I found it quite enjoyable and legitimately very good. Tonight I finally saw Damien: Omen II. Sure it was preposterous but as it was obvious the entire Final Destination franchise is indebted to this movie, I managed to be entertained. The acting was fine overall (hell yeah to Lance Henriksen showing up; also, the kid playing Damien did a nice-enough job) and those deaths, a quality Jerry Goldsmith score and the laughs I had throughout helped masked how the story isn't always great and the subplot about Thorn Industries and their unethical agriculture practices did not amount to much in the end. As I am me I was greatly amused by a scene near the end where Damien's burgeoning powers meant "increased sexual appeal from the chicks" as he walked into the room at the cotillion with a dame on each arm then he chilled with them and like 3 other girls.
"It was so bad my friend got up and left in the middle to go have an affair instead. Not kidding."-- shaunh, referring to The Lords of Salem

My Letterboxd Page
(04-22-2018, 03:58 AM)The Perfect Weapon Wrote: Early February I watched The Omen and I found it quite enjoyable and legitimately very good. Tonight I finally saw Damien: Omen II. Sure it was preposterous but as it was obvious the entire Final Destination franchise is indebted to this movie, I managed to be entertained. The acting was fine overall (hell yeah to Lance Henriksen showing up; also, the kid playing Damien did a nice-enough job) and those deaths, a quality Jerry Goldsmith score and the laughs I had throughout helped masked how the story isn't always great and the subplot about Thorn Industries and their unethical agriculture practices did not amount to much in the end. As I am me I was greatly amused by a scene near the end where Damien's burgeoning powers meant "increased sexual appeal from the chicks" as he walked into the room at the cotillion with a dame on each arm then he chilled with them and like 3 other girls.

The kills are so ridiculous and mean-spirited in this one.  My favorite is the woman who gets attacked to within an inch of her life by a bird and then is totally obliterated by a truck.  Delightful overkill.
Yep, that death was great although my favorite was what happened to Meshach Taylor was my favorite, due to how absurd it was.

Today I watched a pair of horror films. The first one was Omen III: The Final Conflict. The story isn't always logical and the movie's final 10 or so minutes are lackluster for several different reasons. Yet overall I can't say it's bad. Sam Neill being the lead definitely helps, as are some shocking moments and a few more hilariously over the top deaths. Those rants against "Nazarene" were great.

The other was Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III. I wish the unrated version could easily be streamed online, but I don't regret getting the Warner Archive Blu, even if all the features look to be ported over from the old DVD release. The picture looks real nice, which helps as there are plenty of scenes at night in middle of nowhere, Texas. The ending of that is rather ludicrous, although not in a bad way. It's a shame the MPAA was especially brutal against this and many don't care for the movie; I always thought it was good, even if it's not legendary like the original or bonkers insane like the second. Ken Foree's presence and his character definitely helped, and personally the thrash metal songs on the soundtrack were at least good for a chuckle, but were also cool.

My Letterboxd Page
(04-17-2018, 06:28 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: I re-watched the 80's APRIL FOOL'S DAY yesterday. I think I love it now more than I did back then.

I read the novelisation first and then saw the film much later. Suffice to say, someone did radical surgery on the ending. Borne out by the fact the video box had a still entirely consistent with the ending in the book that most definitely wasn't in the film version I saw.
Insidious: The Last Key is alright. Does a passable James Wan impression with one genuinely decent sequence. Most entertaining thing by far is watching how Kirk Acevedo goes completely overboard with the weirdo factor for his character.

"Yeah, uh hi.... is this the ghost lady? I'm calling because.... uhhh.. I think something strange is going on... uhhhh.. in my house"