Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
I think I just decided to buy it..
I like your style, fraid.
I ain't got no style, Dutch....you know that..
(11-09-2018, 07:47 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Just (finally) got out of Halloween.

I wish I could have loved the movie instead of thinking it was just fine, but... there are plenty out there who dug the new Halloween as much as you did. At least for me, I am glad I saw both that and The Predator (something I liked less) with enthusiastic crowds.

(11-09-2018, 08:29 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: Sorry, PW, I missed this post.  Not sure if I'd find the experience distracting or not, but I'd like to try it.  Starting off with a horror film sounds like the right idea.

Hey, no worries; that is no big deal at all.

(11-10-2018, 04:06 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: I love slasher and horror films but man....even I can't defend Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation. It's just horrible..

Well, I get why it's earned a cult reputation, due to the two stars or specifically, Matthew M.'s bonkers performance. But I've never seen the Director's Cut so at least this new release has something of interest... I don't know if the DC makes it not horrible or if it's just trying to polish a turd.
"If they made CITIZEN KANE now, it would star Danny McBride and Rosebud would be the title of his favorite spank magazine when he was a teenager. "-- engineer, talking about modern movie making

My Letterboxd Page
TCM: TNG is very not good, but I do think McConaughey's work is a special kind of ridiculous that almost justifies watching the whole thing.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Damn:

"I’m about to watch George A. Romero’s virtually unseen 1973 movie THE AMUSEMENT PARK (shot between Season of the Witch & The Crazies). Been trying to find this for 20 years."

https://twitter.com/DanielDKraus/status/...7499901953

"OK, this movie is a REVELATION."

"With the exception of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD—maybe—THE AMUSEMENT PARK is Romero’s most overtly horrifying film. Hugely upsetting in form & function."

"The scholar Tony Williams, who saw the film 30 years ago, wrote “The film is far too powerful for American society...It must remain under lock & key never seeing the light of day.”"

"It was never shown publicly. The people who funded it wouldn’t allow it. And no wonder. It’s hellish. In Romero’s long career of criticizing American institutions, never was he so merciless."

"I mean, THE AMUSEMENT PARK doesn’t even show up on Romero’s @IMDb page! This thing is long-long-long-lost. What does that tell me? It’s dangerous & uncomfortable."

"But when you talk about destruction

Don't you know that you can count me out (in)"

"Bitchin'! Is this in 3-D?"

"No, but your face is."

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Wow. Never heard of that one..
(11-09-2018, 07:39 PM)mike j Wrote: I tried again a few years ago and this movie is still awful.

McConaughey and his robot leg are pretty awesome in it though. Remember seeing this a lot back when it premiered on Cinemax years ago, and making my friends watch it. It is truely terrible though.

(11-10-2018, 03:39 AM)Fat Elvis Wrote: I'm kind of obsessed with DEATH BECOMES HER right now. Like the Bette Davis/ Joan Crawford movie we never got. It's more Tales From the Crypt than the actual Tales From the Crypt movies.

Nobody ever puts it in their top 10 Bruce Willis performances but he's brilliantly hilarious in this.

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: gsCCP0R.jpg]

[Image: 4.%20De-Kline.gif]

"Do you know that they do to soft, bald, overweight Republicans in prison, Ernest?"

[Image: 94a19124b60542699c3b2bef6b3b338fdd08bae4_hq.gif]

It's so weird how completely forgotten this movie seems to have become given how big it was throughout most of the '90s. Shouldn't have happened to it.
CANDYMAN - first revisit in a long time. It actually plays more powerfully today than it did at the time. I really fell head over heels with it.

"No, but your face is."

Candyman is phenomenal. And yes, it's setting and subtext (or just plain ol' text) plays in a whole nother context these days. But beyond just social commentary, it's a phenomenal straight up horror movie that just WORKS. I'd put it in the running for best horror film of the 90s..
I remember finding the film racist at the time, which was a bad reading on my part. Eli Roth's show touched on this in a throwaway way, but I never liked that Candyman would kill Black folks/ terrorize his own community. It works perhaps as sly commentary on evil /tragic way - especially in this country - Black rage is often turned in on itself. That's the horror of the arc.

I'm not sure the ending sticks, but up to that, it's pretty much flawless.

"No, but your face is."

In your defense, I can very easily see people, even now, totally taking the film as racist. It certainly plays with racial perspectives....which is pretty rough road no matter what genre. And considering the year it came out as well? Yeah, it was set up for all sorts of readings..
(11-13-2018, 09:43 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: Eli Roth's show touched on this in a throwaway way, but I never liked that Candyman would kill Black folks/ terrorize his own community.
Well that's the way it always works doesn't it? I mean technically he shouldn't be terrorizing anyone since the people that wronged him are dead. But that's how history works. Someone else does something and you get fucked for it in the future.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Has anyone read the original story? I've read a fair amount of Barker but I've never read The Forbidden.