Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
I finally checked out Firestarter last night, one of the few King films left that I hadn't seen. I really liked David Keith as the psychic father doing everything he could to protect his child. A very good performance. And young Drew Barrymore impressed me as the pyrokinetic Charlie. She comes off as a very likeable little girl who carries a terrible burden with her destructive powers. While his casting would be deemed problematic today, I thought George C. Scott made for an effective villain as John Rainbird. His ultimate plan for Charlie is beyond creepy. The look on Martin Sheen's face when he realizes he's dealing with a complete psychopath is great. The movie itself is a little slow in the middle but makes up for it in the explosive finale. I laughed so hard when Charlie was blowing up Shop agents with fireballs. Definitely an underrated King movie.
“Fabulosity incarnate stands before you; show some goddamn respect.
Oh man, Mother's Day suuuuuuuucked. I guess I'm just not a Troma person.

Except for My Dinner with Andre maybe..
(05-20-2019, 01:17 PM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: Miraculously, I went in spoiler-free and this sequence was, hands down, one of the biggest 'holy shit!' moments in recent memory.

I think this was the single gutsiest, most shocking movie moment of last year. I could not believe what I was seeing, and I was convinced for the next several minutes that it would be revealed to have been a dream or hallucination. But nope!

(05-20-2019, 02:25 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: I finally checked out Firestarter last night, one of the few King films left that I hadn't seen. I really liked David Keith as the psychic father doing everything he could to protect his child. A very good performance. And young Drew Barrymore impressed me as the pyrokinetic Charlie. She comes off as a very likeable little girl who carries a terrible burden with her destructive powers. While his casting would be deemed problematic today, I thought George C. Scott made for an effective villain as John Rainbird. His ultimate plan for Charlie is beyond creepy. The look on Martin Sheen's face when he realizes he's dealing with a complete psychopath is great. The movie itself is a little slow in the middle but makes up for it in the explosive finale. I laughed so hard when Charlie was blowing up Shop agents with fireballs. Definitely an underrated King movie.

The FIRESTARTER fanbase continues to grow!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
My one complaint about Firestarter:

It stars David Keith.

Would it have been so hard to find a role for Keith David?
I think David Keith's really good in the movie, though!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
It's funny how much David Keith looks like Sam from Supernatural in that movie. They both even get nosebleeds when using their psychic abilities (I remember Sam had some kind of demon-killing power in season 4 or 5).
(Yesterday, 07:01 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I think David Keith's really good in the movie, though!

He is!
(05-20-2019, 02:25 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: I thought George C. Scott made for an effective villain as John Rainbird. His ultimate plan for Charlie is beyond creepy.

I rewatched this movie recently too, Scott's character made my fucking skin crawl.

I also really enjoyed Art Carney's character. Seems like a really sweet old man who for some reason trusts them enough to invite them for dinner even though Drew's dad is clearly sketchy as fuck, but then immediately goes into hostile cantankerous shotgun toting grandpa mode when the guys in suits show up.

"What do you want me to do, turn them over to the gestapo if they ever get their peckers up enough to come back? Be a good nazi?"
(Yesterday, 08:02 PM)Adam_72 Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 02:25 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: I thought George C. Scott made for an effective villain as John Rainbird. His ultimate plan for Charlie is beyond creepy.

I rewatched this movie recently too, Scott's character made my fucking skin crawl.

I also really enjoyed Art Carney's character. Seems like a really sweet old man who for some reason trusts them enough to invite them for dinner even though Drew's dad is clearly sketchy as fuck, but then immediately goes into hostile cantankerous shotgun toting grandpa mode when the guys in suits show up.

"What do you want me to do, turn them over to the gestapo if they ever get their peckers up enough to come back? Be a good nazi?"

I was totally expecting him to be killed off to further demonstrate how evil the shop was and was pleasantly surprised that he actually survived the whole movie.
Joe Bob is officially renewed for another season. Not a surprise, as he’s practically Shudder’s mascot at this point, but great news nonetheless.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(2 hours ago)arjen rudd Wrote: Joe Bob is officially renewed for another season. Not a surprise, as he’s practically Shudder’s mascot at this point, but great news nonetheless.

Great news indeed. He's the only reason I have Shudder right now.