Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
I love Oz Perkin’s first movie The Blackcoat’s Daughter. Still haven’t seen I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives in the House but I’m looking forward to this new one
I AM THE PRETTY THING... is kind of rough. Not so much a slow burn as a no burn.

BLACKCOAT'S DAUGHTER has some very good stuff in it, but the "reveal" doesn't work for me.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(09-12-2019, 12:08 AM)bradito Wrote: I completely forgot about "Ma." I thought it was "Eh."
It's definitely a missed opportunity. Spencer's great, but we spend way too much time, especially in the first half, with the dumb teens, who are even more bland than the usual dumb teens in these movies. The film does get a bit wilder towards the end, but it's a pretty dull journey to get there.
This Friday the 13th fan film looks very promising:

It's premiering on YouTube tomorrow night.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
(09-12-2019, 01:39 AM)? dan benenson Wrote: I love Oz Perkin’s first movie The Blackcoat’s Daughter. Still haven’t seen I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives in the House but I’m looking forward to this new one

Dan, did you check out It Chapter 2 yet?
Monkey Shines

Haven't seen it in ages, surprised to see early Stanley Tucci and Stephen Root playing roles in it.

Was this the last 'primate horror' film?
Ah okay.

(09-13-2019, 12:33 AM)turingmachine75 Wrote: Monkey Shines

Haven't seen it in ages, surprised to see early Stanley Tucci and Stephen Root playing roles in it.

Was this the last 'primate horror' film?

Shakma came out a few years later (and assuming the Kong films, Congo etc don't count)

So anyone spending the evening with Jason tonight, as per tradition? I would, but I just finished a complete F13th rewatch a few weeks ago. If I had known there was an actual Friday the 13th in September I would have waited. Might go with some Final Destinations instead, I've been meaning to rewatch those and they're super apropos.
JASON LIVES was on TV earlier, so I caught that while doing some work.

Might watch some of CRYSTAL LAKE MEMORIES later.
I'd have thought Shakma was more contemporaneous with Link.

Kong/Congo are more sci-fi adventures.
(09-13-2019, 07:05 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: JASON LIVES was on TV earlier, so I caught that while doing some work.

Such a fun, watchable movie. Best Friday film, and best Jason IMHO. I love how CJ Graham plays it like he's in on the joke. His big dramatic turn to face the camera moment at the start of the movie cracks me up (at first slow... and then quick!). Also the most intimidating "Oooh, you are so dead now" stride of any of them.
(09-12-2019, 11:29 PM)Adam_72 Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 01:39 AM)? dan benenson Wrote: I love Oz Perkin’s first movie The Blackcoat’s Daughter. Still haven’t seen I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives in the House but I’m looking forward to this new one

Dan, did you check out It Chapter 2 yet?

I did, I thought it was okay. First was better. It kind of rehashes the story and structure of the first too much, and is not nearly as creepy. That's tough when you go epic in scope maybe, it starts to feel more like an adventure movie. But I also read somewhere that they toned down the scariness of Pennywise a bit which is a big mistake. Also I think it was detrimental to just skim over how It affects the town and the people who live there, the movie is like tooo focused on the main characters. Anyway it wasn't bad, the performances are solid and there are some really good moments, and the two parts probably make a decent double feature.
I haven't read the novella but this looks promising:

Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
The novella's okay. Some disturbing stuff, particularly toward the end.

Overall, it's a quick read. Give it a shot if you're interested.
(09-13-2019, 10:33 AM)Felix Wrote: Ah okay.

Hey Tom Segura!
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Fede Alvarez is producing a direct sequel to the original TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE - https://theplaylist.net/fede-alvarez-tex...um=twitter

boo
Aren't they all?
They're already done the "direct sequel" thing in the last several years, and it didn't result in anything good.
It seemed to disappoint most people, so my expectations were lowered, but I flat out loved Jim Jarmusch's THE DEAD DON'T DIE. The cast is fun, and the humor is a mixture of super dry, subtly satiric, and silly absurd. It all worked for me.

"Is our plan to inform people about the zombie danger before it gets dark?"

"I guess so. "

"Because we passed Farmer Miller's place a little while ago, do we need to inform him?"

"Fuck Farmer Miller."

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

(09-19-2019, 04:11 PM)Mangy Wrote: Fede Alvarez is producing a direct sequel to the original TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE - https://theplaylist.net/fede-alvarez-tex...um=twitter

boo

He will never top Texas Chainsaw 3D.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina