Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
Good. Andy's been locked in that cell for a long time.
Claes Bang performance as Dracula makes watching Netflix's Dracula worthwhile. No matter how evil he is being, he still does it with a friendly vibe.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
I've heard that some of the adaptational choices are... questionable.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I watched BRAID the other day. It blew me away. I waited to see if I could find the words to articulate why it was so great, but I'm still at a loss. I'm not sure I understand everything going on, and I can't think of what to compare it to, but I guess I know cinema when I see it! It feels like one of the masterpieces of the decade.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

(01-14-2020, 09:45 AM)Fat Elvis Wrote: I watched BRAID the other day. It blew me away. I waited to see if I could find the words to articulate why it was so great, but I'm still at a loss. I'm not sure I understand everything going on, and I can't think of what to compare it to, but I guess I know cinema when I see it!  It feels like one of the masterpieces of the decade.

Not even kidding when I say I adore FE's hyperbole.

I've had BRAID on my Prime queue for a while, I will definitely check it out.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
(01-14-2020, 02:21 AM)Chaz Rock City Wrote: Claes Bang performance as Dracula makes watching Netflix's Dracula worthwhile. No matter how evil he is being, he still does it with a friendly vibe.

(01-14-2020, 02:47 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: I've heard that some of the adaptational choices are... questionable.

It's a three episode limited series, each episode running roughly 90 minutes. The first two are uniformly excellent - great locations and set, high production values, and the cast is aces. Bang is incredibly good as Dracula, and Dolly Wells as Sister Agatha claims the screen every time she's on.

While sticking to the very broad outlines of the novel, the series also carves its own path, so that you don't know where it's going. The immediate comparison might be BATMAN BEGINS (or just all three Nolan Batman films), as all the known elements are in play but often used in unexpected and refreshing ways. 

The third episode takes a severe left turn which, by itself, is fine and mostly works....but the ending is, IMNSHO, jawdroppingly terrible.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I've heard some of the particulars, and they don't excite me. It seems they wanted to get far away from Stoker's text as quickly as they could. Which is their prerogative, I guess. I wish somebody out there would mount a lavish and truly faithful adaptation at some point.

I'm sure I'll see the limited series eventually.
(01-13-2020, 09:47 PM)Mangy Wrote: Chucky the TV show coming to SyFy - https://www.newsweek.com/chucky-tv-serie...lt-1481918

CHUCKY has never been my thing, but CHANNEL ZERO guy's involvement guarantees I will give this a shot.
I'm on quite a roll.

Tonite: BOAR

I expected this to be a TREMORS-ish B, but it's really its own animal. The humor is a bit crass early on, but once it kicks in, the intensity is a kick in the teeth. It's unapologetically brutal, and I love that most of the F/X appears to be practical. It rules.

I think I prefer it to CRAWL!

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Happy Birthday John Carpenter!

He turns 72 today.
I have now watched MIDSOMMAR. Don't be like me.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
Watched THE LIGHTHOUSE last night. It's fantastic. Like if the Coen Bros did an adaptation of an Edgar Allan Poe story. There's one scene where Willem Dafoe rants and raves like Dennis in Always Sunny and it might be the funniest scene of the year.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Liked MIDSOMMAR when I first saw it, LOVED it the second time I saw it.

(01-16-2020, 10:25 AM)Evi Wrote: Watched THE LIGHTHOUSE last night. It's fantastic. Like if the Coen Bros did an adaptation of an Edgar Allan Poe story. There's one scene where Willem Dafoe rants and raves like Dennis in Always Sunny and it might be the funniest scene of the year.

Oh man now I want to rewatch that scene while thinking about Dennis, hahaha... I can totally here him saying "DAMN YE!!!!!"
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
I just rewatched Lighthouse, and it’s for sure one of the year’s best. I love it. Barely a horror film, but then, no genre classification seems right. It’s an anomaly.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(01-16-2020, 10:29 AM)Mangy Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 10:25 AM)Evi Wrote: Watched THE LIGHTHOUSE last night. It's fantastic. Like if the Coen Bros did an adaptation of an Edgar Allan Poe story. There's one scene where Willem Dafoe rants and raves like Dennis in Always Sunny and it might be the funniest scene of the year.

Oh man now I want to rewatch that scene while thinking about Dennis, hahaha... I can totally here him saying "DAMN YE!!!!!"

"LET NEPTUUUNE STRIKE YE DEAD, DEE!!!"

"Alright, Jesus, I like your cooking"
I think both Boar and Crawl are both pretty good.

I recently watched Belzebuth on Shudder.

I thought it was pretty decent, a story that I haven't seen in anything lately.

Anyone here see it?

I also saw The Marshes on Shudder. I didn't like that one as much. It wasn't bad, just not as good as some may have said.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
(01-14-2020, 02:47 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: I've heard that some of the adaptational choices are... questionable.

I'm not a fan of how it ends, but I still think Bang's performance as Dracula makes it worthwhile. As MichealM already wrote, Welles is just as good.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
I'll watch it at some point.
(01-16-2020, 11:15 PM)Chaz Rock City Wrote:

I'm not a fan of how it ends, but I still think Bang's performance as Dracula makes it worthwhile. As MichealM already wrote, Welles is just as good.

Fucking ending.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I just saw Tobe Hooper's Invaders from Mars for the first time. I've never heard anyone talk about this movie, not once, so I was surprised to discover it's pretty fun. I mean, it's no hidden classic - it kinda gets the obvious stuff wrong while acing the difficult stuff - but it's certainly one of the better updating of the 50s Saucer Men era of horror.

The biggest issue is the movie simply needs a better cast. The only performance that really works here is Louise Fletcher's evil schoolteacher, and the lead child performance falls into all the traps a lead child performance can. I don't think I've ever seen a movie in such dire need of a young Corey Feldman. And it has some big lulls in the second act. Once they introduce the aliens, any time spent away from them seems like an eternity.

But in the plus column, holy shit what a crazy bunch of aliens! These things are fantastic, with such unexpected designs (they all feel like Yellow Submarine monsters crossed with In the Mouth of Madness, with a terrifying version of Krang thrown in for good measure). Their machinery, all giant drills and death rays, is pretty great too. The big set pieces are cool too, like the sand pit that devours people and all the practical set destruction.

Added to that, there's some legitimately scary stuff here. The first forty five minutes or so are very effective, with the kid protagonist finding himself in an actually terrifying situation. This seems like the kind of movie that would fuck a kid up good.

This deserves to be a minor cult classic. For anyone like me, who'd heard practically nothing about it, I'd suggest giving it a look.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I remember seeing this more than once on Showtime way back when, and my primary memories of it are 1) Louis Fletcher eating that frog, and 2) the lead child actor's performance being distractingly bad, yet I still recall it being of a piece with the rest of Tobe Hooper's batshit filmography.
I really like INVADERS; those Stan Winston alien designs are terrific.

What a crazy run Hooper had in the 80s. POLTERGEIST, LIFEFORCE, INVADERS, TCM 2 - each film looks and feels so different. You’d never guess they were all made by the same dude.
UNDERWATER is freaking *legit*. 90 minutes of action with zero fat. Kristen Stewart makes a helluva argument for herself as the next great action heroine.
The kid from Invader from Mars is the same kid from Paris, Texas, where's he's very good. Wonder what happened.
(01-18-2020, 03:47 PM)Evi Wrote: UNDERWATER is freaking *legit*. 90 minutes of action with zero fat. Kristen Stewart makes a helluva argument for herself as the next great action heroine.

Yeah I really liked her in the movie.

Plus it led to cute videos like this:

Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.