Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
I met Z'dar -- when he was alive -- at a horror con. He's a fun guy to shoot the shit with. I flattered him by saying that he's probably the first actor to kill Bruce Campbell in a movie. Then he got to yakking about "Tango & Cash" and how starstruck he was to meet Jack Palance. Good dude.
(05-29-2020, 10:24 PM)bradito Wrote: I met Z'dar
HOLY SHIT!

(05-29-2020, 10:24 PM)bradito Wrote: when he was alive -- at a horror con.
Ohh....ohh....ok well that's better.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Never saw the Maniac Cop films until I was much older. As a kid I knew him as the Angel of Death in Soultaker, one of my favorite MST3K episodes.

[Image: Robert_ZDar_04.jpg]
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
He's pretty great in "Samurai Cop."
I miss the old days when "You have the right to remain silent... forever!" was just a cool tagline, and not a tacit modification of the Mirandas.

Watched Boar on Shudder. Good dumb fun, and it was nice to see John Jarratt essentially playing his Wolf Creek character, Mick Taylor, as a good guy. My fave monster pig movie is still Chawz, though.
It's better than Razorback?
Razorback is decent, but I like my giant killer pig movies to have a sense of humour.
I thought BOAR was great, but I'm a sucker for these things. I don't know how much the monster was practical, and how much was CGI, but it looked amazing.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

(05-29-2020, 11:01 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: Razorback is decent, but I like my giant killer pig movies to have a sense of humour.

There's even a riff on the Aliens powerloader scene (somehow).

I rated it "At least they tried" out of 5 stars.
Quote:I thought BOAR was great, but I'm a sucker for these things.  I don't know how much the monster was practical, and how much was CGI, but it looked amazing.

Effects work was solid considering they probably didn't have a lot to spend, and I did like the look of the beast. Goo dripping from its jaws, the rotting flesh, those mad eyes. Also how in some shots you could see loads of little flies buzzing around it.

Also liked the novelty factor of a Gregor Clegane sized dude fighting the monster. And Jarratt's "like two possums fighting in a paper bag" line. And Mad Max's bald boss playing a lascivious old codger. And lots of other little things. Enjoyable movie.
Sounds like I’m going to check out Boar this week.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Made it through Cannibal Holocaust last night, although I turned my head/looked at my phone during the simulated rape scenes and real animal deaths. Also donated $15 to a turtle sanctuary. There's some life imitating art/art imitating life going in with the filmmakers supposedly having noble intentions but turning out to be abusive, bloodthirsty assholes.
Quote:Also donated $15 to a turtle sanctuary. 

Nice of you to do that. You might want to avoid watching any other Italian cannibal flicks unless you're okay with giving everything away to various animal charities.

CH is a very powerful film but not one I rewatch often. Can't get enough of that music, though.
Cannibal Ferox is pretty rough.
(05-30-2020, 04:12 PM)Adam_72 Wrote:
Quote:Also donated $15 to a turtle sanctuary. 

Nice of you to do that. You might want to avoid watching any other Italian cannibal flicks unless you're okay with giving everything away to various animal charities.

CH is a very powerful film but not one I rewatch often. Can't get enough of that music, though.

Believe me, I don't plan on checking out anything else from that particular subgenre. I only watched it because it was on The Last Drive-In.
I’ve never done the Italian cannibal films. I suppose it’s time to at least check out Holocaust. Pretty soon.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
C'mon, arjen! All the cool kids are doing it.
They're good films in general but Holocaust has some really rough animal abuse that would make it difficult for me to ever sit through it again.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Rough content usually doesn't faze me, but I'm hesitant to sit through CH because of the animal stuff.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
(05-30-2020, 06:07 PM)Mangy Wrote: Rough content usually doesn't faze me, but I'm hesitant to sit through CH because of the animal stuff.

I believe there's an animal cruelty-free cut. Not sure if it's streaming or not.
I've also not yet dabbled in the Italian cannibal genre. Maybe with Joe Bob as my guide I can power through.
GREEN INFERNO is a good way to dip your toe in the water.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

I watched a new SciFi movie on Amazon Prime tonight called The Vast of Night, and everyone here should check it out. It's a moody little 1950s alien movie, with a tone something like Close Encounters or American Graffiti crossed with Pontypool (with the budget of Pontypool). It's not quite a horror film, and is in fact mostly just an escalating series of conversations, but as far as promising debuts go, this is absolutely a new filmmaker to keep an eye on. Reminds me a little of Absentia or Monsters, in that way. I don't want to overhype it, because it really is a tiny little thing, but strong recommend.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I saw a rave review of that a couple of days ago. Will definitely check it out, although truth be told I was lukewarm on Pontypool and Monsters.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
(05-31-2020, 12:23 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: I watched a new SciFi movie on Amazon Prime tonight called The Vast of Night, and everyone here should check it out. It's a moody little 1950s alien movie, with a tone something like Close Encounters or American Graffiti crossed with Pontypool (with the budget of Pontypool). It's not quite a horror film, and is in fact mostly just an escalating series of conversations, but as far as promising debuts go, this is absolutely a new filmmaker to keep an eye on. Reminds me a little of Absentia or Monsters, in that way. I don't want to overhype it, because it really is a tiny little thing, but strong recommend.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-period-sci-f...1843572967

Spoiler free article that may be of interest to filmmakers especially.

"There’s no way The Vast of Night is made by a first-time filmmaker. There’s just no way. It’s so beautifully constructed. So expertly shot. So tactfully acted. It’s the work of a talent with years and years of experience under their belt, right? Wrong. And io9 had a chance to speak with the person behind it all.

The Vast of Night—which comes to Amazon on Friday—was directed by Andrew Patterson and this is his only credit (for now) on IMDB. He never went to film school. He’s never released a movie. And yet he’s crafted a stunning, sweeping, vintage sci-fi film told basically in real-time as a mysterious noise is detected in a small 1950s New Mexico town."
I remember finding the trailer for that interesting and the lead immediately recalling a young Reese Witherspoon some months back.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
(05-31-2020, 12:11 AM)Fat Elvis Wrote: GREEN INFERNO is a good way to dip your toe in the water.
I saw that one, and I liked it slightly more than most. I don't want to see it again, but I didn't find it especially terrible.

Starting this Sunday morning the right way, with the Last Drive-In showing of STREET TRASH. Good Lord. I wouldn't even call it 'horror'... it's more a landmark of the "grotesque lunacy" genre. Because Muro shot it, it does this paradoxical thing where it looks surprisingly good while being terrible and gross at the same time.

Quick note: the guy who goes into business with Paulie in GOODFELLAS and has his business destroyed ("fuck you, pay me") has a small role in this. He might be the only actor in this who did other stuff.
James Lorinz did other stuff, most notably Frankenhooker. And Street Trash is absolutely amazing.
Frankenhooker is a delight.
(05-31-2020, 12:22 PM)Mangy Wrote:
(05-31-2020, 12:11 AM)Fat Elvis Wrote: GREEN INFERNO is a good way to dip your toe in the water.
I saw that one, and I liked it slightly more than most. I don't want to see it again, but I didn't find it especially terrible.

Starting this Sunday morning the right way, with the Last Drive-In showing of STREET TRASH. Good Lord. I wouldn't even call it 'horror'... it's more a landmark of the "grotesque lunacy" genre. Because Muro shot it, it does this paradoxical thing where it looks surprisingly good while being terrible and gross at the same time.

Quick note: the guy who goes into business with Paulie in GOODFELLAS and has his business destroyed ("fuck you, pay me") has a small role in this. He might be the only actor in this who did other stuff.

IIRC he sang that awesome end credit song also.

James Lorinz plays the newlywed cop ('THAT'S MY WIFE!!!") that gets his head embedded in a fire hydrant in Abel Ferrara's KING OF NEW YORK as well.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
Quote:IIRC he sang that awesome end credit song also.

Yes! Everything after the closing title comes up is a Tony Darrow showcase...he gets a 3-5 minute closing credits scene, then gets to sing the ending theme song.
James Lorinz is fucking great, he really should have been in more stuff. He really should've been in comedies, and playing some funny character in stuff like he does in Street Trash. He is in King of New York.

Street Trash is one of the all time great horror movies. It's just insane, but the whole thing is so well put together too. When I finally got around to watching it a few years back I was actually surprised at how good it was and was made. That 'Nam flashback scene also made me wonder if it was somewhat of an inspiration on From Dusk till Dawn. There was a moment when I was first watching it where I thought Bronson's girl was a guy, which seemed like an interesting choice for a '80s movie. Bronson's garbage throne is also great, that's some Akira looking shit.
I watched 2 really good Found Footage films yesterday.

First was SAVAGELAND, which is a faux documentary about a murder spree in a Bordertown where the blame has been placed on a lone illegal immigrant. It's very well put together, using a lot of the mixed media a typical documentary would utilise, and is naturally acted for the most part, aside from one or two dodgy performance. The thematics are also sharply presented without ever being too on the nose.

Next up was BE MY CAT: A FILM FOR ANNE which probably won't be for everyone though I kind of loved it. It's essentially presented as a (low budget even by Found Footage standards) demo reel made by an obsessive Romanian filmmaker to Anne Hathaway whom he wants to act in his next film. What results is a deranged character study that reminded me a lot of CREEP or MAN BITES DOG. It's not ever scary but if you get on its wavelength, super taut and blackly humorous.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!