Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Don't You Think You've Seen THE DARK KNIGHT About Enough?
#1
http://chud.com/articles/articles/15...UGH/Page1.html
Reply
#2
I know you've raised this point before regarding missing out on the smaller films just to obsessively rewatch favourites, although it was regarding DVD. Same thing applies.

Let's be entirely fair though, the people who have seen this 5 times or so this weekend aren't exactly the kind of guy that girls will ever think is "the guy for them" or workmates will accept - so it's probably best they're in the cinema, off the street. True, they should be putting their money into smaller films - but that'd be taking them out of their comfort zone, and that's putting the public at risk.
Reply
#3
In my opinion people should spend their time and disposable income doing whatever legal activity they like.

Although, to be honest, I don't know what's worse: spending so much time and money watching the same movie five times in a week, or spending so much time, energy and bandwidth complaining about those who do so when you could be writing about something more interesting than obsessive OCD-style movie watching.
Reply
#4
I completely agree.*

I'm guilty of this behavior but for FOTR. I think I saw it five times in a theater and the last time I found myself checking my watch almost every fifteen minutes. It finally dawned on me that I wasn't doing myself or the movie any favors by acting like that. Nowadays the most I see a movie in theaters is twice over a couple of weeks and that's because not all my friends are compatible with each other.

*With Devin.
Reply
#5
Frankly, I'm lucky enough to be able to catch a film once at the cinema these days let alone multiple times.
Reply
#6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidzed2
View Post
In my opinion people should spend their time and disposable income doing whatever legal activity they like.

Whilst totally valid, I think Devin's point is that most people don't leave their comfort zone to try out new things. A recommendation to try something new, perhaps? You're certainly not doing yourself any favours by watching a film 5 times in a row.

Even then, Hellboy 2 almost certainly suffered on Batman's opening weekend by people missing out on a relatively "safe" movie - by going to see Batman repeatedly.

It's always been about voting with your cash, you don't need to vote repeatedly - if you loved it, wait for the DVD then watch it to death then.
Reply
#7
You appear to let some pretty weird shit bother you on a deep and profound level, to be honest. Who gives a fuck if wastes of space go see a movie five, six, or fifty times? What impact does that have on you or your life? Are you really so anal (or angry) as to be outraged that people you don't know and will never meet payed to see a movie more times than you deem appopriate?

Your feeling this warranted a big write up is just as bizarre as a grown man paying to see a Batman movie five times in the span of a weekend.

A lot of times I agree with you about the idiocy and horrors of fandom, but it seems to have become some sort of weird obsession with you.
Reply
#8
Devin,

I agree on principle with you that too much of ANYTHING is a bad thing, regardless of whether it's Chocolate, Cookies, Heroin, Hookers or Batman movies...you can get burnt out on ANYTHING if you see it too much*...

But look...

There's people out there, quite normal people...like me...or you for that matter, that generally enjoy good pop-culture movies. That enjoy going to the cinema as an entertainment medium, just like Opera or Live Music or Jazz festivals...if I go to a good one, I'm generally going to spread the word on a great live act I saw on the weekend and take my mates along...if it's a PARTICULARLY good live show/music event I'll take a long lunch (cause I can) and chill out for an extra half an hour...

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that...

Stuff like a great Live act in a small pub or a movie 'event' like The Dark Knight don't come along that often...if people get excited about it and go a few times, I don't see that passion as being a negative....

Where that passion for movies or ANYTHING goes wrong, is when you're dressing up as said characters from the film, or stalking messageboards (like you said) and FORCING you opinion of said film down peoples throats blinded by your passion (I'm looking at StarWars fans here) regardless of the 'quality' of the film.

Nolans Batman, has resonated with the wider public, it's resonated with casual movie going fans, pop culture lovers and the Batman crazies out there as well. It's success, is NOT due to the crazies, it IS however due to people like me, my friends and so forth who have gone along to the movie twice (or in my case, 3 times...) and I wouldn't consider myself a Batman 'fanboy' i don't own a single comic book, never read 'Watchmen' and don't own ANY Batman films on DVD except for Batman Begins, which I generally enjoyed...

The Dark Knight is a genuinely good CRIME/THRILLER and I view it as that, because it's simply NOT like any comic-book film I've ever seen...you hold up 'Iron Man' next to it, and the two are polar opposites in almost EVERYTHING...

So again, if this was 'Mongol' (which i've seen twice...) doing these kinda numbers, or people dressing up as the great and terrible Khan then I'd totally support your argument, but I don't think you'd post an advocate on people going to see that film alot - because it's an amazing film, but it's not going to garner the across-the-board effect that say, Nolans Batman has, simply because it wouldn't resonate with the wider American public....

I have to disagree with you that if you wern't, say, writing for Chud that you wouldn't have seen 'Hellboy II' more than once...it's clearly a film that resonated for you, regardless of your ocupation...you PERSONALLY enjoyed the film. As a entertainment writer, you also enjoyed it on a "critics" level...therefore, you're doubley cursed because you have the unique perspective of imparting your opinons on to others whilst still maintaining your personal enjoyment of that film. The fact is, if you wern't writing for Chud, you'd still be a movie lover and human being...you would STILL see Hellboy more than once**...

That's obvious by your passion for entertainment and film, regardless of your occupation - your hobby would still be films, if you were working in McDonalds or a CEO of a corporation!

I read your advocate, and it really felt to me like a bit of Tall Poppy beating... The Dark Knight is successful in PART to repeat viewings, but it's also successful because it's resonating with people who don't normally attend comic-book movies, females are going along to a movie they generally would stay away from (My Girlfriend, for example...wouldn't touch this kinda film at all, but she's headed off with a friend tonight...I passed on going again...heh) and with the help of a death of it's main actor...it's ALWAYS going to do big business, that is all without repeat viewings.

I know you're passionate about Hellboy, and many other films that Chud has championed in the past, Batman is one you PERSONALLY don't "get" from what I've read...that's not a negative, but it's your view as a PERSON and as a critic, you enjoyed the film....

But i'd step down off your soap box to level 2 for a second and maybe don't thrash at the knee-caps The Dark Knight too much, because I personally see it's success as a WONDERFUL thing for ALL comic-book movies, getting a bit of respect for their properties and more importantly, who's not to say that the same people going for the repeat viewings (or other film goers in general) aren't going to stumble along and see that poster for Pineapple Express...or, god forbid....Mongol...and check it out later on down the track...

It's all about perspective and the numbers...the numbers say that the movie is reaching a wider-audience...which is a good thing for cinema, and SOME people are enjoying it more than once....that is still a postive number in my book....

Just add ALL the numbers Devin, not just the ones you don't personally like.





* or if you stick it in to a lot of things too much, it's also very bad for you

** Nevermind the fact that you CHOSE to go to those events and watch the film 3 times on behalf of Chud, you could've sent someone else or passed on the junkets I'm sure. I'm almost postive Del Toro wasn't holding a gun to your head at all those screenings...
Reply
#9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidzed2
View Post
Although, to be honest, I don't know what's worse: spending so much time and money watching the same movie five times in a week, or spending so much time, energy and bandwidth complaining about those who do so when you could be writing about something more interesting than obsessive OCD-style movie watching.

Bingo.

Some of the earlier bitching and moaning from Devin's previous Batman articles was at least, valid bitching and moaning to a curious extent. Now it's just absurd and as much a waste of time as the people watching TDK more than is necessary.

As if we needed yet another long winded essay on the pathology of fanboys. Because an undetermined but relatively small amount of people who have seen The Dark Knight more than two times at the theatre because 2 is arbitrarily forgivable are totally worth the oxygen of publicity. Uh huh.

And no there's nothing at all ironic to bitching about people devoting an unusual amount of time to movies from someone who devotes a dayjob's worth of time to movies every day let alone an unforgivable 7 hours over the span of a weekend.
Reply
#10
What an infantile waste of energy. Complete with oh-so-clever asterisk shenanigans.
Reply
#11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bees?!
View Post
Even then, Hellboy 2 almost certainly suffered on Batman's opening weekend by people missing out on a relatively "safe" movie - by going to see Batman repeatedly.

Who gives a shit? If Hellboy 2 had been a better film, maybe it could have snagged some of these repeat offenders away from The Dark Knight.*

*I liked Hellboy II quite a bit, but thought it was incredibly flawed.
Reply
#12
To be fair, Hellboy and Batman are two completely different types of films and comparing them as 'likes' is absolutely ridiculous....

Hellboy is never going to pull the same demograph range as Batman.
Reply
#13
Quote:

Originally Posted by thesun.co.uk

Batman star in holy dust-up?
By MIKE SULLIVAN
and ANTHONY FRANCE

COPS allowed Batman star Christian Bale to attend the biggest film premiere of the summer last night — despite him being accused of assault.

Bale, 34, faces questioning over the claim — made by his own mother and sister.

But he was able to attend the first European screening of new Batman blockbuster The Dark Knight in London’s West End.

He is alleged to have lashed out on Sunday night at Park Lane’s Dorchester Hotel — where he has a suite.

Mum Jenny, 61, and sister Sharon, 40, who lives in Dorset, went to a police station in Hampshire yesterday to lodge the allegation. The matter was referred to the Met Police.

Detectives, well aware of last night’s glittering bash, took the decision not to approach Bale yesterday. But they are expected to make attempts to quiz the Wales-born actor today.

A source said: “It was a very difficult situation but it would have been wrong to have wrecked the premiere over a complaint which we don’t yet know is founded in truth.

“But Mr Bale will be contacted at the earliest opportunity and be asked to provide an account of anything that happened.”

A Met Police spokesman said: “We can confirm we have received allegation from another force in relation to an alleged incident in central London.”

The allegation is the latest drama to surround the film. In January Heath Ledger, who plays arch-villain The Joker, died from an accidental drugs overdose aged just 28.

And a special-effects technician was killed last September in a stunt car accident.

Can't wait until Devin writes a glorified gossip column about this.
Reply
#14
I did the same thing with RotK, and as far as I was concerned at the time, it was the best film I'd ever seen and ever would. But it did ruin large parts of the film for me, and without the Extended Edition, I think I would have grown to completely hate the theatrical version. So I can more than see your point from a geeky point of view.

But the fanboys are dwarfed in number by the members of the public who'll see this more than once...particularly for Heath Ledger (that's the main reason most of them will for chris'sakes). And for all those people who moan about those of us who enjoy films perhaps more than they do, they'll happily go and see the same film twice if they dug the experience. Titanic obviously didn't get to number one in the all-time gross because of geeks and fanboys('cept those Cameron fans...), it got there 'cos women dug it big time and went to see it over and over.

It's the subject matter, the public attention to a film that gets these kind of repeat viewings. Yeah, the fans have gone mad and talked about how many times. Doesn't mean you have to listen to that shit. You saw it, you liked it. End of. Let them waste their money again and again, but for every one of them seeing it again I guarantee you'll have four or five members of the public seeing it again for the hell of it.
Reply
#15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volta
View Post
Can't wait until Devin writes a glorified gossip column about this.

If you're at all familiar with the British "press", you'll know that this is likely to be a steaming pile of crap served with a side of bullshit. It's from the Sun...a paper so serious it prints racist, bigoted headlines for unsourced assumptions of stories, and has a picture of a topless woman on its third page in.

(not to say that's a bad thing at all, but it's a rag with a naked chick inside, and as such it'll be untrue).
Reply
#16
While I think you have some valid points, devin, they are largely lost in the fray of vitriol that you display towards the people about which you are complaining. It made me a little uneasy reading how much this seems to bother you. As others have mentioned, there is a certain amount of hypocrisy involved with writing a column like this, but I'm sure you'll dismiss that.

Oh, and good job with the not-so-veiled accusation of homosexuality of anyone who likes THE DARK KNIGHT enough to see it multiple times in a weekend. Very mature of you in an article criticizing people for perceived childishness.
Reply
#17
Yawn.
Reply
#18
This thread is proof that Devin is right about fanboy-dom. As usual.

Anyone on here care to admit they have seen TDK more than twice in a cinema?
Reply
#19
Digg?
Reply
#20
Quote:

Originally Posted by EchoBase
View Post
Anyone on here care to admit they have seen TDK more than twice in a cinema?

I haven't(saw it twice with different groups of friends), but I'm going to watch the ever living shit out of it on DVD.

Movie tickets are too damn expensive, but I will admit to being one of those people who can watch films over and over.
Reply
#21
Nick watched Hellboy II 5 times within a few weeks. He must be a freak.
Reply
#22
Quote:

Originally Posted by EchoBase
View Post
This thread is proof that Devin is right about fanboy-dom. As usual.

Anyone on here care to admit they have seen TDK more than twice in a cinema?

I'm going for viewing nummah 2 at Imax, Friday night. I saw it the first time on a "standard" screen. That will be it after that. Then I'll wear out my DVD of it.
Reply
#23
Quote:

Originally Posted by EchoBase
View Post
This thread is proof that Devin is right about fanboy-dom. As usual.

Anyone on here care to admit they have seen TDK more than twice in a cinema?

Who gives a shit?

Ticket prices guarantee that I don't see anything more than once in a theater, but who cares if I do?

Just as I'm sure there are better things that people with this mythical disposable income could be doing, there are plenty of better things that a talented writer could be writing about, than yet another polemic against fanboy culture. You have such an excellent opportunity for a soapbox, and this is the kind of shit you waste your time on? I would argue that is a bigger blown opportunity than the folks who throw away their cash on repeat viewings of the latest blockbuster. We get it, you're at odds with the very culture that seemingly puts food on your table, you have contempt for most of your audience. Get over it, it's always been like this, the only difference is the amplification and rewarding of this behavior because of the internet.

But I'm sure this rant will garner plenty of hits, so as a devoted Chewer, oh well.
Reply
#24
I wish all of you "Waaah why'd you write about this?" posters would note how many times you've seen the film.
Reply
#25
I think devin's just angry about all the enthusiasm and sudden interest in one big movie, while everyone being ignorant to all the other good ones that come and go unnoticed.

He has a point there, but you can't really do a thing about it. Instead, everyone continues to run into stuff like I am Legend, Date Movie, Hancock and other failures while skipping new stuff like Once ALTHOUGH they'd love it. Just because they don't want anything new. At least they did skip MEET DAVE and LOVE GURU this year.

For the record, I haven't seen TDK yet (had no time), but I will and at least three times. With girl, with buddies and with collegues. But probably not on the same weekend.
Reply
#26
Haven't even seen it yet. I HATE, HATE being British a lot, but this takes the piss.
Reply
#27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Fordyce
View Post
We get it, you're at odds with the very culture that seemingly puts food on your table, you have contempt for most of your audience.

Fanboys are not Devin's audience. Most of the people who read CHUD are not fanboys.
Reply
#28
Quote:

Originally Posted by flyarz
View Post
I wish all of you "Waaah why'd you write about this?" posters would note how many times you've seen the film.

Keith just said "once".

Once for me, but I'm not really "waaaah"ing. You have to admit the "critic of geek culture" schtick has a very narrow focus lately. Perhaps there's a book of collected works of cursing the darkness coming, I have no idea.
Reply
#29
One time.

Seriously, who gives a shit?

EDIT: If it matters, and it doesn't, I saw Foot Fist Way a couple of weeks ago, thanks to CHUD letting me know about it ten years ago. And I saw the Visitor. I'm special.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EchoBase
View Post
Fanboys are not Devin's audience. Most of the people who read CHUD are not fanboys.

We're all fanboys (and girls, holla) to one degree or another, or we probably wouldn't be here.

Devin can write what he wants, I'll continue to read it, and if you know me on here at all you know that I usually stay out of threads like this. I'm not whining because I feel personally attacked, but because I know he's capable of much more.

People calling each other nerds and bigger nerds on the internet always has, and always will, crack me up.
Reply
#30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil
View Post
Keith just said "once".

Once for me, but I'm not really "waaaah"ing. You have to admit the "critic of geek culture" schtick has a very narrow focus lately. Perhaps there's a book of collected works of cursing the darkness coming, I have no idea.

I think Devin's ire has been in the main directed at pathetic sad-sacks who dress up as Batman, go to Comic-Con and watch TDK multiple times in cinemas at the expense of possibly broadening their minds by watching other films. Seems fair enough to me.
Reply
#31
Devin's being a bit too vicious here, but I agree with his general point. I always like to wait a week before seeing a movie again.
Reply
#32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidzed2
View Post
In my opinion people should spend their time and disposable income doing whatever legal activity they like.

Although, to be honest, I don't know what's worse: spending so much time and money watching the same movie five times in a week, or spending so much time, energy and bandwidth complaining about those who do so when you could be writing about something more interesting than obsessive OCD-style movie watching.

Exactly! Devin just seems really bitter about batman at this point. If that is how someone wants to spend their time then so what. There are a lot worse things they could be doing. Some people like seeing a good movie multiple times. Other people cry while reading little kid harry potter books. To each their own.

Is this article because hellboy took a 70% plus dive this weekend? A movie that got the same score from Devin as Dark Night but you wouldn't know it by reading the articles. I can see him making an argument about going to the movies to much and instead getting out and doing something else but based on the number of movie's he goes and sees he can't make that argument so he says go see something else. Why? If your going to spend the money and the time go see what ever you want.

He starts the argument off by talking about how we all did that with star wars in the days before dvd well if you are seeing this in Imax this is a similar experience. Your not going to see the action scenes in the same way from the comfort of your home so yea go out and see it on the Imax as many times as you can if that is your thing. I plan on catching it a couple more times.
Reply
#33
Don't you think you've written about this movie enough?

Do you have nothing better to write about? Maybe, you know, those movies that might help people "broaden their minds"? I found your exploitation article interesting, and I've been meaning to check some out some of those movies for the hell of it. You could've done that instead of, you know, taking a swipe at TDK and its fans for the seventeenth time. Talk about an unhealthy obsession.

Fuck this shit. You want help with promoting the website, digging articles, etc.? Write good shit worth pimpin'. In the mean time, while you're in your Dark Knight period, go do it your fucking self. This site has become a bizarro Batman on Film. The sad part is that at least the real Batman on Film enjoys the movies that it covers.

Flyarz, for the record, I've yet to see it. I've been busy.
Reply
#34
Quote:

Originally Posted by EchoBase
View Post
Fanboys are not Devin's audience. Most of the people who read CHUD are not fanboys.

I think your thinking to high of the audience here. Sure chud is not as fan boy as say...Harry's site but come on. We get a year's worth of build up and hype for movies like Hellboy. Just look at the article for the watchmen trailer. He says something to the extent of "it's a trailer for us!" The fanboys of the comic. He just seems to have areal problem with the more extreme group of fan boys. Which is fine my only problem with stuff like this is....WE GET IT! I don't know if he thinks there are so many new readers that he has to make his point clear every few weeks but WE GET IT!
Reply
#35
What do you care what people do? How does it affect you?

I say that so long as they're not hurting or negatively affecting others, people can do whatever they damn well please.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)