Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Don't You Think You've Seen THE DARK KNIGHT About Enough?
#71
I love how Devin hates that a big blockbuster movie that people actually liked is being seen ad nauseum,while decrying the lack of discussion of smaller cinema, and yet has written more about the reaction to The Dark Knight than he has about any aspect of The Visitor, Transsiberian, The Wackness, Gonzo, and Baghead combined.

I don't think, if you're out of your teens, there's any reason to see a single movie more than twice in the same weekend, but shore up your glass fucking house before you bitch.
Reply
#72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake
View Post
When I read things like this, I have to agree with Devin.

Quote:

The list has been pretty much unchanged since the inception of IMBD, which took place on October 17, 1990.

What the hell is this guy on? There's a ton of movies on that list that were released after 1990. TDK will drop down to the low teens in time, just like Fellowship.
Reply
#73
I don't get why this article had to be written NOW... like right after the opening weekend? It just comes off as Devin having some sort of vindetta. Having the article written like maybe a week or two after release wouldn't have been so bad, but this feels like an obvious attempt at just bashing others for going out and having fun with a movie they've waited three years to see.

God forbid they see it more than twice in the theater.
Reply
#74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Fordyce

If I were a rich man....



Couldn't resist
Reply
#75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch
View Post
....and you're annoyed by the popularity of this one.

Aaaaah! More truth! It's too much, forsooth!
Reply
#76
Quote:

Originally Posted by InTheShadows
View Post
What the hell is this guy on? There's a ton of movies on that list that were released after 1990. TDK will drop down to the low teens in time, just like Fellowship.

Oh, come on, isn't "Badass! I am curious to hear the thoughts of everyone who saw the film!" just leaping out at you with its journalistic integrity? Surely Ed Murrow's spinning in his grave.
Reply
#77
I understand the sentiment, but I think the article might have been better spent on one paragraph bemoaning those seeing this five or six times and the rest highlighting the films they could be seeing. And moreso than just tossing out two titles.

I will say that a great film, one that really gets you, is like a drug. You get a high from it and want to experience it again as soon as you can. That's how I felt about FOTR -- I'd waited almost 25 years to see that up on the screen, and the rush from seeing it done so amazingly well was intoxicating. I wanted to feel it again and again. I wanted to be around other people experiencing it maybe for the first time. It wasn't about not having a life or wanting to ignore the other good stuff out there. It was about trying to recapture that initial rush that in some cases is so strong, it doesn't fade after even four or five viewings.
Reply
#78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Clark
View Post
I love how Devin hates that a big blockbuster movie that people actually liked is being seen ad nauseum,while decrying the lack of discussion of smaller cinema, and yet has written more about the reaction to The Dark Knight than he has about any aspect of The Visitor, Transsiberian, The Wackness, Gonzo, and Baghead combined.

I don't think, if you're out of your teens, there's any reason to see a single movie more than twice in the same weekend, but shore up your glass fucking house before you bitch.

Film critics, while they're getting their weirdly-aggro proselytization on, seem to forget that a VAST amount of people in this coutry don't have first-run access to Baghead and Transsiberian - they have access to multiple screens showing the Dark Knight. It'd be fair to call out people for not renting any of those smaller films, after TDK fever has cooled a little...but excoriating them for being passionate about a film that's nearly omnipresent and arguably singular, while chastising them for not seeing films that many would have to drive hours out of their way to see once?

That just seems....childish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carnotaur3
View Post
I don't get why this article had to be written NOW... like right after the opening weekend? It just comes off as Devin having some sort of vindetta.

We all knew this was coming - and it's got nothing to do, as far as I'm concerned, with Devin 'hating Batman'. If you read is "Holy Hyperbole Batman" article, you'll see that he's already struggling to contain the loathing he feels over other people's enjoyment of it.
Reply
#79
Devin's solution is to move to new York (or now LA). Uproot from your home and job so you can live near theaters that play The Wackness. Because that's healthy.
Reply
#80
Why do I want to see a Batman movie more than once, and not Baghead or whatever? Because I simply love comic book movies done right. I especially love comic book movies about my favorite comic book character done right. A movie like Baghead, as much as I enjoy life's "smaller movies", doesn't scream "See me in a packed cinema". A blockbuster movie does. That's why they're called blockbusters. Because they're more than the simple movie on the screen. They're an event. I like events. I especially like events that focus on my favorite fictional character. I don't dress up. I just enjoy what I feel was made for me.

One of my favorite memories from Batman Begins (second viewing in the theater) was seeing an elderly lady clapping her hands like Peter Griffin during the Tumbler chase. You don't get that kind of shit anywhere else. So yeah, I'm one of the guys out there who likes to head to the cinema, be part of a packed audience, enjoy quality entertainment, and if I enjoyed the experience, fuck me if I want to go through it again.
Reply
#81
Deviant.
Reply
#82
Just wait until California wakes up and gets wind of this. I'm predicting 6 horrible pages before COB.
Reply
#83
Saw it on IMAX at midnight Thursday/Friday. Saw it on a regular screen at 12:45 PM Friday. My girlfriend was with me for both screenings, and friends joined us for the second one. Hasn't impacted my social life at all.

And I'm planning, unapologetically, on seeing TDK a third time. I'm going to wait until the first full week of August, but I want to see it on the big screen one more time.
Reply
#84
Quote:

Originally Posted by InTheShadows
View Post
The hypocrisy even in this thread is pretty unbelievable. Which is worse? Devin bitching about TDK fanboys or people bitching about Devins bitching and asking him why he cares? Well, why do you care about what Devin has to say? You know what you are getting just from the article headline. Why the hell are you clicking and reading it?

by that logic, why are you bitching about people bitching about devin's bitching? I think people are taking Devin to task because they want to use this discussion forum to voice their options (which is what it is for) to let Devin know they want more non-bat-hate content from their favorite movie news site.
Reply
#85
Oh look Devin is going against the grain again. What else is new? People get pissed and chat? No same old same old.


In my viewpoint, critics are like opinions. Nice to hear, but never taken 100% as fact. Give me your opinion on the content of the film, not my practices. If you want me to go see less main-stream films, maybe the critic should just start giving opinions on films we should see.

Oh and i haven't seen the film yet.
Reply
#86
Before I bail on this ridiculous thread, I just wanted to comment that I feel much more like a fucking loser reading this site lately than ever at a movie theater. If the boards weren't kick ass, I'd have left this behind like AICN. These screeds read like something out of the console wars. At this point they say a lot more about Devin and his insecurities and petty hatreds than about fanboy culture.

If I had seen Batman five times this weekend, this editorial wouldn't do shit to change my mind. It would just make me stop coming to Chud. The point isn't to change anyone's mind, it's to make sure we all know how adult and well adjusted Devin is. That he's above all this shit. Same as it ever was, with these rants. Bob Clark won this thread at the top of the page.

I have no idea what Towelhead or The Visitor are about, by the way. If they're that good, wouldn't this have been a great time to suggest them as alternatives to Dark Knight for the third time, rather than spew invective?
Reply
#87
I think there is a mighty wide gulf between seeing a movie twice in one weekend and FIVE times in one weekend. I think Devin is clearly only bashing the latter and not "all people who love The Dark Knight". Besides, it's not the five times that's scary, it's the five times within 72 hours that's scary. If someone admitted to seeing The Dark Knight five times within six weeks, that wouldn't be quite as horrifying. That at least proves that you can pace yourself.
Reply
#88
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClark
View Post
Getting all your self-loathing venom out now before you head out to San Diego? That was a pretty lame one, Devin. We're talking FoxNews lameness.

Let's look at it point by point-

A lack of what other "things"? A job? A family? A "better" hobby? Finding a cure for cancer? This is meaningless unless you define what a movie fan is actively depriving society of when he wastes his time in a theater.


The cool kids argument? Are you serious? You really think people should change their behavior based on what other people might think about them? Oh right, your entire editorial is built on that premise. You think it's weird so people should stop.


Quite the sweeping genralization. It assumes there's a general rule that all personality types must follow in order to appreciate and analyze art. That's a bold rule. How do you prove it?

You prove it with a half-assed food analogy? A false one at that since you still don't explain why this would happen to everybody.
By the way, how many times did you see THE FOUNTAIN in the theater?


WHOA! You stole all the straw from stables to build that argument!


Film lovers? Now wait a minute. What makes you assume all the man-children your railing against are film lovers? Because they post on the internet? It's been my experience that the majority of internet hounds wouldn't fit your definition of a film lover. You're just classifying them as such in order to build your argument. It's another straw man argument since, by your standards, these saps aren't film lovers. So why should they follow your rules of film appreciation?


Why? Because you want them to? Why is it so important that the everybody else does what you want? The same reason they shouldn't want other people to think they're "weird?" Again your argument boils down to "CONFORM!"


This is the only accurate sentence you've written.


Where did you get your degree? Armchair Psych University? Please explain how someone's chosen method of relaxing or coping with stress or simply enjoying their life is dangerous to their health.


So much anger.

And now, let's address the genral hypocrisy. A thirty-something year old man with no wife, no girlfriend (and am I wrong to assume no real prospects?) living paycheck to paycheck by writing superhero movie news on the internet may be looked upon as childish. Some folks might even say... weird!
I wouldn't. I think it's great to live your life the way you want, on your own terms. But then I'm not sanctimonious. I'm not compelled to want to control the behavior of others.
Also, take a moment to count how many times you've binged on alcohol or drugs or Grand Theft Auto or DVD's about a world ruled by apes and then tell us all again how we shouldn't be watching a movie too many times. I guess drugs and booze are adult indulgences and therefore acceptable. It's not considered weird to "numb yourself to what you liked in the first place" until you "make yourself sick" on adult things.

/END THREAD
Reply
#89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd
View Post
If the boards weren't kick ass, I'd have left this behind like AICN. These screeds read like something out of the console wars. At this point they say a lot more about Devin and his insecurities and petty hatreds than about fanboy culture.

A-fucking-men. Ever since Beaks left, there nary has been an article worth reading, other than those by published sporadically by Russ or Nick. I've found myself solely visiting the boards just to read them; I don't post much. The discussions here convey love of film with more humor and enthusiasm than anything written in the front page since the start of the year.

You do realize that Chud attracts its demographic by default, right? There just isn't any other place on the internet to read intelligent discussion on film, save for maybe the arts section of the NYT. Keep doing what your doing and this place will dry up.
Reply
#90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratty
View Post
I think Devin is clearly only bashing the latter and not "all people who love The Dark Knight". Besides, it's not the five times that's scary, it's the five times within 72 hours that's scary. .

This sounds like another straw man to me. Devin, how many people do you know have done this? And what makes you think your experience is indicative of a nationwide trend?
Reply
#91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spook
View Post
A-fucking-men. Ever since Beaks left, there nary has been an article worth reading, other than those by published sporadically by Russ or Nick. I've found myself solely visiting the boards just to read them; I don't post much. The discussions here convey love of film with more humor and enthusiasm than anything written in the front page since the start of the year.

And Matchstick. Can't forget his contributions.
Reply
#92
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClark
View Post
This sounds like another straw man to me. Devin, how many people do you know have done this? And what makes you think your experience is indicative of a nationwide trend?

One. This entire advocate seems to be in response to The Dark Shape saying he he has seen the film five times already.
Reply
#93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd
View Post
I have no idea what Towelhead or The Visitor are about, by the way. If they're that good, wouldn't this have been a great time to suggest them as alternatives to Dark Knight for the third time, rather than spew invective?

Thing is, both The Visitor and Baghead actually look great. Problem is, the only thing on the site that even mentions The Visitor is a thread on the boards, started by Jonathan Banks, and the only two articles that even mention Baghead were posted today!
Reply
#94
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClark
View Post
So much anger.

And now, let's address the genral hypocrisy. A thirty-something year old man with no wife, no girlfriend (and am I wrong to assume no real prospects?) living paycheck to paycheck by writing superhero movie news on the internet may be looked upon as childish. Some folks might even say... weird!
I wouldn't. I think it's great to live your life the way you want, on your own terms. But then I'm not sanctimonious. I'm not compelled to want to control the behavior of others.

With Beaks gone, BobClark is now CHUD's best writer.
Reply
#95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbott & Prospero
View Post
This entire advocate seems to be in response to The Dark Shape saying he he has seen the film five times already.

And to think he spent all that time writing about a stranger on the internet when he could have been doing "other things" instead.
Reply
#96
If someone comes on and says they saw The Wackness four times in a week, will that produce the same reaction?
Reply
#97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Fabulous
View Post
And Matchstick. Can't forget his contributions.

I didn't mean to leave anyone out. And yeah, Kevin is great.

Seriously though. It's come to the point that I read the by-line before clicking. If it's by Devin, I skip it, unless the news is too good to pass up.
Reply
#98
Quote:

Originally Posted by SneakyPete
View Post
What's with the use of asterisks by CHUD writers? It totally breaks the flow when you're reading an article...and this one had 5.

Damn* you** SneakyPete.*** You beat me**** to it.*****

* Curse word. I'm not actually cursing you though, just using it coloquially.

** Pronoun, referring to you, as in SneakyPete, the object of the damning action.

*** Oh, it's like StinkyPete except it's SneakyPete! That makes a lot more sense now.

**** I mean, not literally. I'm sort of built so that would be an interesting fight.

***** Sort of like a red-headed stepchild, but I failed to artfully incorporate that into the post, so instead of excising it, I figured I'd mention it here because it's so precious.
Reply
#99
People just don't get that Dev is CHUD's resident troll on the payroll. He makes comments like this to generate hits and noise.

He's the internet version of Andy Rooney, movie curmudgeon for hire.

Sometimes, it's fun to poke him with a stick. I hate critics that hate popular things just because they *are* popular.

I hear Dev was the one that got Bale arrested, too.
Reply
If this was a general op-ed piece on the strange habit of seeing movies multiple times in the theaters, I wouldn't have an issue with it. I draw the line at seeing something twice, and I haven't done that since The Two Towers.

What bothers me is that it's clearly a personal vendetta against TDK for some strange reason. And for the record, I enjoyed the Burton Batman movies, thought Begins was the best one yet, and haven't seen TDK yet. I'm not a huge Batman fan, but I don't hate the character either. I'm more of a Marvel guy, anyway.

Devin seems to have this strange need to define what everyone should like or dislike based on his own personal tastes. If something is too mainstream or popular, then it's not worth anyone's time. But if it's an underdog film, or a director that he has some connection to, then it's a movie we all have to get out there and support.

It's predictable, petty and painfully obvious. I guess it was different when this site had more writers - back then, I enjoyed Devin's writing, because as vitriolic as it was, it was balance out by other opinions. But now that he has a stable of filmmakers that he knows in some capacity or another, and the other writers have faded out, the site has become his own personal soapbox for telling everyone "how it is", and it's not fun to read anymore.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by thejyav
View Post
/END THREAD

Amen.

EDIT: Saw DK once for free. Would like to see it again (in Imax this time) before it leaves theaters, but we'll see. My problem isn't seeing a film in the theater too many times (due to prohibiting schedule and budget), it's finding time to watch all the DVDs I can't help but accumulate (by purchase AND Netflix) because I'm a consumer whore and I'm excited to see what's around the corner (always on the look out for that next hidden gem and the thrilling "popping my cherry" experience with a movie). Watching a film twice within a short period of time means that I'm missing out on seeing something else (and then also missing out on discussion here at CHUD). Not enough time in the day/lifetime. Course, because of trying to expose myself to all these flicks, there's also not enough time to catch up on all my music-listening and comic/book/email reading either (in between actual and selfless priorities/commitments/responsibilties). There's barely enough time in a day to get my work done, because of reading/posting on the MB.

And yet, this article just seemed to be conveniently timed with the release of a film adapted from a property that Devin's not enthusiastic about and connected to a fanbase with which he's disgusted. Escapism is escapism (and not necessarily film-loving) and moderation is the key for any activity, but the logic and language of the article (as BobClark pointed out) is flawed... and clearly biased.

On the other side of the coin (reference intended), I'm also a registered Bat-fan and enjoy sharing the films I liked with people I spend time with. But I haven't watched the same film over and over since BATMAN '89 hit home video (I was 13). Besides my 4 year old daughter's repetitve DVD habits, the LOTR flicks and Studio Ghibli films (as the STAR WARS and INDY films did prior) get frequent enough spin in my household, especially during chores. But my enthusiasm for Batman, the high I felt (like any good film) after seeing TDK, all the post-discussion here on the boards and with friends/family, watching "The Psychology of Batman" on the History Channel last night, etc makes me want to revisit it sooner than later.
Reply
Fuck that. This one's going 25 pages. You'll see. Devin is still in his Iron Man PJ's, sucking his thumb, fast asleep as we rant.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Vivisector
View Post
People just don't get that Dev is CHUD's resident troll on the payroll. He makes comments like this to generate hits and noise.

I think people do get that. There's just no other explanation for shitting on your readers the way Devin/Chud tends to do.
Reply
All I know is that Dark Horse needs to release some "Devin" comics if only so we can see the eventual Batman Vs. Devin crossover.

I'm sure Tom Veitch is available to come up with the premise.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaNY
View Post
(Haven't seen TDK yet. Planning to, been waiting all year for it. But I also would rather see it after some of the fanfare dies down. Maybe next week or so.)

What Lisa said. I just can't handle opening night crowds anymore, as I actually like to WATCH the movie I paid to see. With the hype surrounding this movie, I figure I need to wait at least a week before all the hardcore types have seen it, so I can actually watch it without being annoyed by some douchebag clapping like a seal through the entire film (as some guy did during Batman Begins...that was a fun night).
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)