Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Don't You Think You've Seen THE DARK KNIGHT About Enough?
If the boards still had those popularity points, I'd hit BobClark up with them.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suttytx
View Post
I think people do get that. There's just no other explanation for shitting on your readers the way Devin/Chud tends to do.

Yeah. But if you're gonna shit on me, at least be funny, original and entertaining while you do it.

It stopped being all of the above around February.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Olson

What Lisa said. I just can't handle opening night crowds anymore, as I actually like to WATCH the movie I paid to see. With the hype surrounding this movie, I figure I need to wait at least a week before all the hardcore types have seen it, so I can actually watch it without being annoyed by some douchebag clapping like a seal through the entire film (as some guy did during Batman Begins...that was a fun night).

For what it's worth, I've yet to have a shitty experience with IMAX crowds, and they've almost without exception been PACKED.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Olson
View Post
What Lisa said. I just can't handle opening night crowds anymore, as I actually like to WATCH the movie I paid to see. With the hype surrounding this movie, I figure I need to wait at least a week before all the hardcore types have seen it, so I can actually watch it without being annoyed by some douchebag clapping like a seal through the entire film (as some guy did during Batman Begins...that was a fun night).

True. I mean, I saw The Incredible Hulk at the end of June. Didn't affect my enjoyment of it one bit. If I can get to actually see a movie in the theater, I feel ahead of the game. If it's weeks after the masses see it, oh-fucking-well.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by C.Swicegood
View Post
All I know is that Dark Horse needs to release some "Devin" comics if only so we can see the eventual Batman Vs. Devin crossover.

I'm sure Tom Veitch is available to come up with the premise.

Devin Faraci as "Hypocritical Man-Child!"
Reply
I think it's sad you think it's sad. Why? You don't like watching movies. Your articles have proven this, to you the magic is gone because it's a job. Case in point the article complaining about bloated movies and your obliviousness to the fact that critics have that same answer about a short movie because it's a job to them.

What's wrong with seeing a movie more than twice on a weekend? it's technically what? 7.5 hours of how many hours? what do you think people should do instead? complain on the internet? go out drinking? how is going out and talking to a social conditioner better than seeing a movie multiple times. You forget movies are for entertainment. Some people like drinking, i like watching movies. it's how i pass my time.

You're an idiot Devin. No wonder so many people make fun of you.
Reply
This article saddens me ... especially coming from someone who seemed so at home interviewing the cast of Hellboy II & even Hellboy himself. That's pretty geeky.
Reply
What's a social conditioner?
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd
View Post
Before I bail on this ridiculous thread, I just wanted to comment that I feel much more like a fucking loser reading this site lately than ever at a movie theater.

TRUTH. As someone who has enjoyed this site less and less since Nick has left, I find most of Devin's articles to be annoying. Watch him speak on how the WATCHMEN is going to be something AMAZING without a doubt in his mind.

Devin acts like you're the "weird" guy in the office for seeing a movie more than once in the theater, yet when I used to have an office job, I was much more concerned with people seeing me participate in discussion on film message boards. To your average person, that's about as "weird" as you can get.

Devin sounds like a bully wandering around the hallways of CHUD in that article. Can someone find the picture where he's wearing his eyeglasses over the cowl he received in the mail?
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minsky
View Post
What's a social conditioner?

Head & Shoulders ... in a martini glass.
Reply
Devin is just pissed because he hates movies and has a funny voice.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by botch
View Post
what do you think people should do instead? complain on the internet? go out drinking?

Oral sex from anonymous Myspace sluts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by botch
View Post
Devin is just pissed because he hates movies and has a funny voice.

Come on! The Devin insults are hitting all time lows in this thread! Next thing you know someone will be calling him Mr. Fatty Fat Fat von Fatface
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClark
View Post
And to think he spent all that time writing about a stranger on the internet when he could have been doing "other things" instead.

Not to mention the fact that The DarkShape mentioned he was pressured into seeing it multiple times by family members and significant others who wanted to see it with him. Anytime a superhero movie comes out, my mother wants to see it with me regardless of whether or not I've already seen it.

I am by no means the least judgmental person there is, but I do try to understand there are always extenuating circumstances. Not to mention giving people the benefit of the doubt and realizing that individuals add up to more than generalizations to serve the grist of a rant might make for a more pleasant existence.

I do think Devin has a point. Seeing a movie five times in 72 hours is odd. But a weird screed about it is unsettling. And if he writes it just to push buttons, even more so. To each his own, I guess.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch
View Post
What bothers me is that it's clearly a personal vendetta against TDK for some strange reason.

Because it generates all the hits which personally affect his bank account.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Hexum
View Post
TRUTH. As someone who has enjoyed this site less and less since Nick has left, I find most of Devin's articles to be annoying. Watch him speak on how the WATCHMEN is going to be something AMAZING without a doubt in his mind.

How about Devin ragging on others for thinking The Dark Knight was a masterpiece while simultaneously calling Pineapple Express pretty much a "classic".
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClark
View Post
Getting all your self-loathing venom out now before you head out to San Diego? That was a pretty lame one, Devin. We're talking FoxNews lameness.

Let's look at it point by point-

A lack of what other "things"? A job? A family? A "better" hobby? Finding a cure for cancer? This is meaningless unless you define what a movie fan is actively depriving society of when he wastes his time in a theater.


The cool kids argument? Are you serious? You really think people should change their behavior based on what other people might think about them? Oh right, your entire editorial is built on that premise. You think it's weird so people should stop.


Quite the sweeping genralization. It assumes there's a general rule that all personality types must follow in order to appreciate and analyze art. That's a bold rule. How do you prove it?

You prove it with a half-assed food analogy? A false one at that since you still don't explain why this would happen to everybody.
By the way, how many times did you see THE FOUNTAIN in the theater?


WHOA! You stole all the straw from stables to build that argument!


Film lovers? Now wait a minute. What makes you assume all the man-children your railing against are film lovers? Because they post on the internet? It's been my experience that the majority of internet hounds wouldn't fit your definition of a film lover. You're just classifying them as such in order to build your argument. It's another straw man argument since, by your standards, these saps aren't film lovers. So why should they follow your rules of film appreciation?


Why? Because you want them to? Why is it so important that the everybody else does what you want? The same reason they shouldn't want other people to think they're "weird?" Again your argument boils down to "CONFORM!"


This is the only accurate sentence you've written.


Where did you get your degree? Armchair Psych University? Please explain how someone's chosen method of relaxing or coping with stress or simply enjoying their life is dangerous to their health.


So much anger.

And now, let's address the genral hypocrisy. A thirty-something year old man with no wife, no girlfriend (and am I wrong to assume no real prospects?) living paycheck to paycheck by writing superhero movie news on the internet may be looked upon as childish. Some folks might even say... weird!
I wouldn't. I think it's great to live your life the way you want, on your own terms. But then I'm not sanctimonious. I'm not compelled to want to control the behavior of others.
Also, take a moment to count how many times you've binged on alcohol or drugs or Grand Theft Auto or DVD's about a world ruled by apes and then tell us all again how we shouldn't be watching a movie too many times. I guess drugs and booze are adult indulgences and therefore acceptable. It's not considered weird to "numb yourself to what you liked in the first place" until you "make yourself sick" on adult things.

Someone give this man a really good blowjob.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pvt. Spunkmeyer
View Post
Someone give this man a really good blowjob.

You're the guy named Pvt. Spunkmeyer. Have at it!
Reply
Wow! People miss the point again.

I thought the article was a slam dunk. Tore the fucking rim down.

What's wrong with challenging people? Don't we want to broaden our tastes? See and talk about different kinds of film?

The obsession with THE DARK KNIGHT isn't healthy. Seeing it five times is weird.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"



"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"


"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"


"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"





Reply
Constantly writing about it is a little off too.
Reply
Nick saw Iron Man 6 times. Hellboy 3 times. Is he sad too Dev?
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
View Post
The obsession with THE DARK KNIGHT isn't healthy.

Please explain. Be sure to reference recent examples of this obession in your explanation.
Reply
I saw it twice last weekend and enjoyed it more the second time. The first time, someone had pulled the fire alarm about 30 minutes in, the lights came up and we had to wait 15 minutes or so for the movie to start again.

I used to think nothing of seeing a movie a shit-ton of times in the theater. I saw "Spider-Man" at the multiplex 10 times the summer it came -- four of those times were during the opening weekend.

I've tried to have a life outside of going to the movies an unnecessary amount of times, but who the fuck am I kidding? I'm a geek and a misanthrope. The only time I find human interaction remotely appealing is when I'm telling the girl at the concession stand I don't want any butter on my popcorn.
Reply
Ive seen it twice (one with a friend, second with my brother, a batman fan) and I'll probably see it a third time with my dad.
As for Devin's latest tirade, I (as usually) disagree with him...there's nothing else to say about it.
Reply
Maybe I'm wrong but I actually didn't find Devin's article all that bad. Sure, it was inflammatory but he does have a point and I don't think it was a bash against the Dark Knight but the 'event' movie situation in itself and the who knows when the next movie he can make his point on will arise?

Going to see a movie that is 2.5 hours long four or five times in three days is very obsessive and you aren't going to benefit greatly from the experience itself and people, outside of your little social click, will probably just think you're strange. Unless he's railing against people who see a movie more then four or five times in a theater during it's release, in which case... I have to disagree, especially with IMax in the mix.

It is of note, I've only seen one movie more then twice in the theater and that was Titanic during it's nine plus months at the box office. All the other times I've seen a movie more then once it was over weeks or months, not the same weekend. At least, that was what I took from his article... maybe I'm off today.
Reply
My assumption was that this was the place where the people who go see The Dark Knight a couple of times then proceed to walk down the road for the Kurosawa festival and didn't get bitched out for either choice.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
View Post
Wow! People miss the point again.

I thought the article was a slam dunk. Tore the fucking rim down.

What's wrong with challenging people? Don't we want to broaden our tastes? See and talk about different kinds of film?

The point that most people are making I believe is that it's a poorly written article that as bobclark points out is fully of bullying and name calling and instead of making an article of Movies you should see instead of batman for the 5th time and why, his article comes off as childish as the 30 year old acting like a 13 year old he is bitching about. But I'm sure thats just the genius of Devin.
Reply
It's the blatant hypocrisy, though. The constant banner-waving to get out there and support film. Except when it's a film he personally doesn't like (and hasn't liked for months before he saw it).

There'd be no problem if people were out there seeing Hellboy II five times in a weekend, because that would practically guarantee another set visit.

Can someone please arrange an exclusive Chris Nolan interview or set visit, or find some instance of Christian Bale saying "I visit CHUD"? That should put a stop to this madness.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
View Post
What's wrong with challenging people? Don't we want to broaden our tastes? See and talk about different kinds of film?

The obsession with THE DARK KNIGHT isn't healthy. Seeing it five times is weird.

Of course I want to broaden my taste. That's why I just picked up my copy of Gotham Knight. The sky's the limit!

So, five times is the standard for weirdness, then? Or is it five times in that magic 72 hour span? Again, I'm going to go back to my original thesis, which is: Who gives a shit?
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClark
View Post
Please explain. Be sure to reference recent examples of this obession in your explanation.

Have you read the Box-office thread?

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"



"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"


"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"


"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"





Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
View Post
What's wrong with challenging people? Don't we want to broaden our tastes? See and talk about different kinds of film?

Because as BobClark pointed out, it implies that Devin thinks we all ought to have the same viewing habits that he does. If someone wants to see the same movie a bunch of times, who care? Who's he hurting?

Now, I know for a fact that Devin doesn't consider me a true movie fan (and really - potayto, potahto) because I can't get to movies as much as I'd like to, or basically, as much as he does. Whatever. As for the topic of this article, I did fall into this category twice - in 1993, I did see The Fugitive six times in the theater - not in a row, that was spread out over the course of the summer into the late fall. And in 1994, I saw Legends of the Fall three times in the theater - again, spread out over the course of about two months. I realize neither of those are comic book movies, so they're a far cry from the type of movie being discussed here. But it's also not like I didn't see an assload of other movies those two years. Money was a little looser back then since I had a roommate, and I took advantage of it - in addition to those repeat viewings, I saw a hell of alot of other films too. The assumption here, however, is that if you see a movie multiple times, you're not giving other movies a chance. But how do you know? Is Devin following all the posters here around to see what their viewing habits are? How do you know that if they're seeing TDK a few times that they're not also seeing some other films in between? It just assumes too much to come to the definite conclusion that "If you see Movie A several times, you're absolutely NOT seeing Movie B." Which is totally wrong.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
View Post
Have you read the Box-office thread?

Bad example. I think obsessing over box office is way fucking weirder than seeing a movie a few times in a theater. It's always the people obsessing over box office that are so quick to tell others how "oh, the numbers don't really matter, this is all so silly" right before they go into their next round of Miss Cleo Accounting for the weekend.

EDIT: I forgot to add that it doesn't personally offend me. Whatever.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Olson
View Post
What Lisa said. I just can't handle opening night crowds anymore, as I actually like to WATCH the movie I paid to see. With the hype surrounding this movie, I figure I need to wait at least a week before all the hardcore types have seen it, so I can actually watch it without being annoyed by some douchebag clapping like a seal through the entire film (as some guy did during Batman Begins...that was a fun night).

Certain movies are worth seeing on opening night if only for the shared energy of an excited crowd. As long as the movie isn't shite, it can be a nice experience. I saw TDK on opening night. I think there was only one moment were there was clapping, but it was after a big action beat.
Reply
I love that all you nerdy nerds are getting all bent-up about his fairly obvious and correct assessment of weird and distasteful behavior.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
View Post
Have you read the Box-office thread?

Oh sure and I find it to be very weird. But please explain why it's unhealthy. Please detail the damaging mental and/or physical effects of repeated viewings. We're on the verge of an epidemic here and people need facts.
(Damn! I wish I could find a pic of that eye-patch guy from Dawn Of The Dead. "Dummies!"Wink
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew C
View Post
I love that all you nerdy nerds are getting all bent-up about his fairly obvious and correct assessment of weird and distasteful behavior.

Wait, what's distasteful about seeing a movie multiple times? I'll go with weird, but distasteful? Come on.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)